Start by marking “Flip the Silver Switch” as Want to Read:
Flip the Silver Switch

Flip the Silver Switch

(The Crimson Five #2)

Be Curious. Be Creative. Be Collaborative. Be Colorful. Be Courageous.

Fresh off their summer at Camp Piedmont, The Crimson Five kids are together again, headed for the Piedmont Global Championships. This time, Kia and her New York teammates travel to Quebec where they're challenged to solve a new mind-bending task against 99 international teams. But at the Universite de C
Hardcover, First, 293 pages
Published August 21st 2018 by Amberjack Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Flip the Silver Switch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flip the Silver Switch

Start your review of Flip the Silver Switch
Laurie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 5-8

Imagine that everything you ever wanted in life came true. Would you be happy? What if you realized that what you really wanted took a dramatic change in a very short time? This is exactly what happened to Kia. Her team, the Crimson Five, has just won the Piedmont Challenge and she is headed to the school of her dreams, Piedmont Inventors Prep School. First, however, her team has one more competition to face, the Piedmont Challenge Global Championship. In this challenge they a
Tonja Drecker
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I did not read the first book in this series and had little problems diving into the story with book two. It did, however, take a few pages to get a hold on the characters and situation. So, I would recommend starting at the beginning of the series even if it's not completely necessary.

Imagination, team work and determination make this a read packed with great things for the middle grade audience.

The Crimson Five are back again, this time heading to Quebec to take part in the next level of the
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
In this dystopia middle-school book, the Piedmont Company controls how all children, worldwide learn in the schools. The story is set 53 years in the future. Children all learn the same basic subjects, again, worldwide, and when they get into sixth grade, they will have to concentrate on one subject, only, to prepare themselves to enter the workforce.

But, if they win the Piedmont Challenge, they will be allowed to study all subjects, and be much more well-rounded people.

There is a sinister under
Vickie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Be Curious. Be Creative. Be Collaborative. Be Colorful. Be Courageous....the motto of this book and likely the series.
It took me a bit to get into the story.At first I thought it might be because I hadn't read the first book in the series and this is book two. Then I thought it might be because it's about middle-school age kids and I might not dig it.
Nope, it just took me a bit to get introduced to the characters and get a feel for the storyline. Only a page or three and I was rolling along wi
Amanda Sanders
Aug 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was not scientific enough for me. It is about a group of student inventors going to an international championship. If their idea for an invention wins, it will be developed. Their idea is an ancestry app. There is never any explanation of how it will work and what technology will make their idea possible. There are too many tasks for these students and the tasks have nothing to do with inventions. In order to explain how hover scooters work the author just says it uses hover gel--at le ...more
Maranda
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it

Flip the Silver Switch by Jackie Yeager is the second The Crimson Five book.

The Crimson Five–Kia, Ander, Mare, Jax, and Jillian–have soared through nationals and earned a spot at the Global Piedmont Championships. At Global’s they will complete against 99 other international teams and the top three teams will have their inventions created.

Kia is determined to win and get the ancestor app built, but are her teammates just as motivated? Has The Crimson Five
Rebecca Veight
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was very happy to learn there was another book with the Crimson Five, since I enjoyed Spin the Golden Light Bulb so much.

Kia and the rest of the Crimson Five are of to the Piedmont Challenge Global Championships, where if they place well their invention will be developed, making the stakes even higher. Then they learn they have even more to do than they initially thought. It's good they have new tasks, because that is where the team and the narrative excel at being inventive (pun intended).

I l
Danielle Hammelef
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Be Curious. Be Creative. Be Collaborative. Be Colorful. Be Courageous. This Crimson 5 motto is the theme of this middle grade book and its predecessor. Kids will have characters they can identify with and care for as the characters learn what their strengths and weaknesses are as well as how to be members of a team.

I read the first book Spin the Golden Bulb and I would recommend reading this before jumping into book 2. The author does reintroduce the characters to refresh the readers' memories
Jaclyn
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mg
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

It took me a little bit to get into the story, as I had not read the first one and was trying to figure out the characters and what had happened to lead them to the challenge they were at today. I like the premise of the story, having a group of children working together to create a new invention and compete against teams from around the world. I think I would have liked it more had the author included some of the challenges t
Beth
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Five kids compete in an Odyssey of the Mind-type competition set in a nebulous future. I missed the first book so I suspect a lot of the world-building happened there; it seems the world is now strictly regulated and children are forced into school matching their highest aptitudes. Kia, the protagonist, has few friends and has intensely bonded with her competition team, and the five personalities work together on the new, global challenge.

Their latest invention struck me as a dystopian nightmare
Jade
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early version of the second installment The Crimson Five. Heartfelt and exciting, the kids of Crimson Five get into even more crazy adventures now that they've secured a spot in the World Finals. This sequel incorporates the same spirit and joy that Spin the Golden Light Bulb did. Readers of the first book will not be disappointed.
Adam
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great sequel. I liked Spin the Golden Light Bulb and this book even more. It answered a few of the questions I had from the first in a surprising way. The futuristic tree suite colony was awesome. I can't wait to read the third!
Natasha Lefler
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. A little heavier, emotionally, than the previous book, but it worked well with the story and shows how the characters are growing.
Exapno Mapcase
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lter
This is a real fun book for kids, full of imagination, problem solving, teamwork, and the right amount of pathos. The series could definitely become a movie for Disney Chanel.

Free review copy.
Evelyn
Jan 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading this book 40 pages from the end. I thought it was so boring. My mom made me finish it since I was so close to the end.
Stephanie Tiner
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarything, own2019
​Kia and her team from New York, the Crimson Five, made it through Nationals. Now they are on their way to the Piedmont Global Championships in Quebec. There they will compete against other kids just like them, inventors and problem solvers from around the world.
But when they arrive, the team is presented with a new task that they must solve, and in only two weeks. When lack of inspiration and nasty rumors leave the team with doubts. Kia knows that they will have to do something to bring them al
Jaclyn
rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2018
Felicia Allen
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really cute middle-grade story about a group of five friends and inventions. It seems futuristic and is the second in a series. This doesn't stand on its own, I felt completely lost at time times because I haven't read the first one.
Amy
Sherry
rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 2 14 Feb 27, 2018 11:22AM

• Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Misfits (Royal Academy Rebels #1)
  • Nyxia Unleashed (The Nyxia Triad, #2)
  • The Door to the Lost
  • The Darkdeep (The Darkdeep, #1)
  • Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • Be More Chill
  • Nightbooks
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
  • A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
  • Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows
  • Launch (Rise of the Anointed, #1)

The Crimson Five (3 books)
  • Spin the Golden Light Bulb