Start by marking “The World As I See It” as Want to Read:
The World As I See It

The World As I See It

To the majority of people Einstein's theory is a complete mystery. Their attitude towards Einstein is like that of Mark Twain towards the writer of a work on mathematics: here was a man who had written an entire book of which Mark could not understand a single sentence. Einstein, therefore, is great in the public eye partly because he has made revolutionary discoveries whi ...more
Published March 14th 2011 by Philosophical Library/Open Road (first published 1934)

Jen
Jan 31, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The student begins to explain.

'You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit down to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a
Sarah VanWagenen
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok, don't laugh, but I've been trying to formulate my own "personal statement" these last months. You know, what I believe, what I value, what I aspire to... that kind of thing. "The World As I See It" is exactly what I'd like to write for myself, for those I love. Of course, it would help if I were Albert Einstein... I certainly don't expect to publish mine. But I want to take the time to think through and articulate "the world as I see it." Einstein is a good man-- yeah, he's pretty smart, I g ...more
Bob Nichols
This is a miscellaneous collection of Einstein's thoughts about life and religion, and war and peace. In this book,an interesting picture of Einstein, as man, emerges.

Einstein sees reason manifesting itself in nature and that an appreciation of this reality is to experience the mysterious. It is this experience that "stands at the cradle of true art and true science" he writes. While this, along with fear, gave rise to religion, Einstein's religious attitude is all about mystery and not, as he w
Anna
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
We exist for our fellow man... Our actions and desires are bound up with the existence of other human beings - "We eat food that others have grown, wear clothes that others have made, live in houses that others have built. The greater part of our knowledge and beliefs has been communicated to us by other people through the medium of a language which others have created."

"I want to research, not to teach. There is too much education all together... the only rational way of educating is to be an e
Maica
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, science
First, I can say that Einstein was a man of ideals and conviction; nevertheless, his opinions and his views are not to be spared from criticism. I respect Einstein as far as his contributions to science are concerned; but with regards to some of his views political, gender-wise and economic matters stated on this book, I disagree. Initially, his optimistic attitude towards humanity and the individual, the mystery and corresponding beauty of nature and the universe, and spirituality are admirable ...more
Larry Bassett
What did Albert Einstein think about religion, war and the military, and Zionism? Although Einstein was not religious he was very committed to Jewishness as a culture. He was clearly antiwar and opposed to any standing armies. I thought the book would've been much more interesting if his writings would've been more clearly placed in their historic context and at least consistently dated.
Eclarep
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Einstein was much more than a brilliant physicist.
Bogdan Teodorescu
Probably the best insight into Einstein's mind you will ever get. His mentality, opinions, ideas are clearly seen in this collection of articles regarding every kind of topics. A little dull at some places, due to the fact that the articles were written along the years, and some ideas and opinions are being repeated in more articles. Still the effort to gather all the articles is considerable and yet the book is great. You will get to know a genius' opinions on topics as physics of course, but a ...more
Shirley Thomas
The other day I read an article titled We Believe in Experts Because They Agree with Us.

That might be why I like Einstein and subsequently this book. What I knew of the man behind that iconic frizzy haired picture prior to reading this came from scattered quotes of his I read somewhere or heard from friends. There was eccentricity that drew me in first and then the refreshingly grounded feel one sensed about him that spurred on my fascination about this scientist.

This book is a collection of his
Zanna
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This abridged edition of letters, speeches and thoughts aims to paint a picture of Einstein as a humanistic and political commentator, philosopher and activist.

I felt that the extracts should have been dated; I find the de-contextualisation very annoying and patronising. I was surprised by Einstein's conservatism on issues of education, culture and sexism, matching his scientific conservatism. He is particularly luminous and impressive in his addresses to and about Jews and Jewishness, and the v
Ron
By this collection of essays, letters and articles Albert Einstein sought in 1934 introduced himself to the world beyond academia and the headlines. Though he was then fifty years old, the Einstein we find here brims with youthful hope and enthusiasm. Of Jewish linage, he was an agnostic, socialist pacifist (those labels seem inadequate).

Of particular interest to readers today is how some of his ideals seem current while others are so out-of-date as to seem quaint. “The man who regards his own
ريحانة
Mar 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The preface provides scattered contexts for the essays to follow, but that was no way to inform the reader. By the time I reached the end of the book, I forgot all the information that was condensed in the preface.

The book should have organized essays/letters by theme in a chronological fashion, and offered an introduction for each one of them.
Some letters could easily be disregarded. For instance, I don't see any interest in reading the exchange that took place between Einstein and the Academy.
Wreade1872
Jun 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000s, 1930s, nonfiction
Firstly no human visage is appealing when spread across an entire bookcover, i'm assuming the person who bought me this did so online ;) .

This is fairly worthless, so random, a collection of letters and speeches, it is so tied to its time period in the worst way. Mind numbingly repetitive aswell. The few interesting ideas are told over and over again in various letters with only slight variation until they lose all meaning.

Only the minor traces of sexism or racism doing anything to break the bor
Italo
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book repeats itself all the time. It's a collection of essays, letters and speeches, and was no supposed to be a book from the beginning. Because of that, it doesn't work well as a book, and most of the essays say something that a previous one has said. The chapter about pacifism is utterly redundant, because he keeps showing his solution to war all the time.

A nice book, tells us that one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century was a humanist, a pacifist, and his views about his scien
Sally
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Einstein is very forward-looking and humane in his social and humanistic thought.
Mabrouki Khawla
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone sees the world from his own perspective. Maybe the way that I perceive the world is somehow different from other people.
When it comes to describe our ways of seeing the world, we think about many concepts that determine how we really perceive it. Happiness is the objective that many people want to fulfill. However, they forget that to be happy is linked not only with making a big fortune, but happiness is when you see your parents ‘smile. This means the world for me. I will not be joyfu
Yusif Adel
The book started very good and the articles were organised fairly good at only the first 50 pages. Later he started writing about Jew and their rights, Which I strongly disagree with him at this point specially in their right in Palestine "the Jew have no right in a nanometer of a land in this pure land". Clearly Einstein ignored the existence of two very important religion Islam and Christianity and he always refer to Judaism only.

I liked the philosophical way that Einstein adapted about indivi
John de' Medici
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Bit of an upgrade from the random quotes you can pick here and there from Albert Einstein.
A fine collection nonetheless of Einstein's essays and addresses.

Doesn't offer much illumination into Einstein, the man, for that I think a biography is in order, still offers insights on some of his opinions and ideas on science, religion, justice, social status, the universe and the meaning of life.

Much of the pieces here though were written in his later stages, would've loved to read more of his reflect
Nawal
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophie
Albert Einstein will always be remembered as a preeminent scientific legend of our time. But not too many people think of him as an ardent humanist as well. In this book Einstein delves into many touchy subjects, including good and evil, religion and science, Pacifism, war, and other issues facing humaity of his time. The only downside of this book is a missing part that dwells on his personal life, I would prefered reading a full portrait of this mental marvel !
Kamran
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading views of a Scientist whose Theory of Relativity can be grasped by only a number of people, over Global issues is quiet enchanting experience. And greatest over great is that it is savvy and one may feel perplexed (as i did) that how can a Scientist with such great cosmopolitan sensitivity built an idea of Atom Bombs??
Jun 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I thought it was boring. It seems like the sort of thing you'd be required to read in college as part of an ethics class, and in that capacity it would be fine because nobody expects to like class readings.
Stacy
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fascinated by his pure faith on God and man.
I
Jul 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very diplomatic content. Clearly avoiding controversial issues.

The translation by Allan Harris makes it a difficult read.
Daniel
Dec 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ?
Go direct to the source if you want the best explanation.

No better source for relativity than Einstein himself.
Attila Szabo
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book. It has a good curve with the following topics

* ethics
* pacifism
* personal letters
* religion
* physics

The content was selected by the author. The most interesting take away from this book is Einstein's humbleness. He describes how his work is built upon others and how physics evolved building one concept on the top of the other.

My favorite essay is "Society and Personality" .

"When we survey our lives and endeavors we soon observe that almost the whole of our actions and
Leyla
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the most delicious books I've ever eaten.
zahira chebab
First of all i was very disappointed that the publishers did not mention how they got the letters and statement of the late Dr.EINSTEIN .
Second i was troubled by the weird ideas of Dr.EINSTEIN about women and the hostility he showed in the sarcastic letter to the women of America ,but he has obviously great ideas about pacifism and reducing arms .
Finally the book was good and fun .

R.B. Aiken
This book was extremely difficult to read. Not just because you are reading the words of a genius which makes it difficult to keep up anyway! But also because the writing style is in a very old English format, so I had to read some paragraphs twice or three times just to catch exactly what he was saying.

Most of it was very boring, but some parts are interesting to see his views on things. Like his take on Nazi Germany, and his view on the Israel & Palestine conflict.

All in all I am glad I
Snippets That Ins...: Dying of Boredom? 1 5 Aug 13, 2017 07:52AM
Goodreads Librari...: Can't add book because of ISBN13 2 30 Jun 08, 2016 01:00AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Can I add a book without ISBN? 9 431 Feb 16, 2016 12:35PM

• Physics and Beyond: Encounters and Conversations
  • The Analysis of Mind
  • Dos Delitos e das Penas
  • One, Two, Three...Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science
  • Concepts of Modern Physics
  • Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos: The Story of the Scientific Quest for the Secret of the Universe
  • The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist
  • Why Sex Matters: A Darwinian Look at Human Behavior
  • From My Mother
In 1879, Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich by 1909. His 1905 paper explaining the photoelectric effect, the basis of electronics, earned him the Nobel Prize in 1921. His first paper on Special Relativity Theory, also published in 1905, changed the world. After the rise of the Nazi party, Einstein made Princeton his permanent home, becoming ...more
“The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.” 4611 likes
“I do not at all believe in human freedom in the philosophical sense... Schopenhauer’s saying, ‘A man can do what he wants, but not will what he wants,’ has been a very real inspiration to me since my youth; it has been a continual consolation in the face of life’s hardships, my own and others’, and an unfailing wellspring of tolerance. This realization mercifully mitigates the easily paralyzing sense of responsibility and prevents us from taking ourselves and other people too seriously; it is conducive to a view of life which, in part, gives humour its due.” 107 likes