Start by marking “The No-Good Nine” as Want to Read:
The No-Good Nine

The No-Good Nine

They're mad, they're bad, and they're about to ruin Christmas!

No kids get coal in their stocking these days. Do you know why? It's thanks to The No-Good Nine!
Pittsburgh, 1931. When Peter awakens on Christmas morning to find his stocking full of coal, he is outraged. After he finds the Naughty List, which contains the names of some other children who received no gifts, he
Published October 16th 2018 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The No-Good Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The No-Good Nine

Start your review of The No-Good Nine
Megan (ChroniclesOfABookworm)
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Super cute book for Middle Grade readers!
Sandy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday, ya, fiction, humor
I had a hard time with this novel. I liked the original idea of the children pursuing Santa after they find the “naughty list” and finding their names on it, but some of their adventure, I wasn’t too keen about.

The novel takes place in 1931, the time of the Great Depression. Peter realizes again, that he has a piece of coal in his Christmas stocking and in desperation as to why, he discovers a piece of paper while hunting again for his Christmas presents from Santa. This paper, Peter discovers i
AJ
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ashley
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a lot of fun reading The No-Good Nine. It’s a middle grade book, but it was still a lot of fun to read even as an adult. There was a funny cast of characters like the Liar, the Brat, the Cruel, and so many more! The No-Good Nine go on a crazy adventure to get to the North Pole to confront Santa about being on the naughty list and receiving coal for Christmas and to play with all the toys that are meant for the nice kids.

There so are many crazy things that happen along the way, which make i
Catherine
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in Pittsburg during the Depression era, a rag tag group of naughty list kids set off to confront Santa. The adventure begins when “Know-It-All” Peter finds coal in his stocking and discovers the burned pages of the naughty list in his chimney. The first person he seeks out is Luigi Curidi our possibly unreliable narrator as he is on the list as “Liar.” The kids, who often do not number nine, decide to go by their names on the naughty list: Brat, Hooligan, Rude, Cruel, Vainglorious, Thief and ...more
Bridget Neace
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
The premise was interesting, but after giving it a fair shot (50+ pages/half dozen chapters), I had zero desire to continue, nor was I vested in the the characters. Life's too short (and my bedside table is too crowded) to FORCE myself through a book...
Isabella (The Feminist Bookworm)
This was so fun, and so cute! It's a middle grade novel that I highly recommend reading during the holiday season!
Ms. Yingling
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Public library copy

Loved that there was a Great Depression tie-in, but Santa is a tough, tough sell at middle school. Think I will pass.
Isaiah Desta
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The No-Good Nine by John Bemelmans Marciano is a mediocre book in my opinion. It takes place in Pittsburgh and is about these 9 kids who get nothing for Christmas. They all have a plan to go to the North Pole but they go on a adventure as a bunch of things happen on the way. I think it’s a okay book because the plot is very similar to other books but it has a good way of explain everything.
John Douglas

• You Go First
  • Saving Winslow
  • Stargazing
  • A Wolf Called Wander
  • The Portal (Tangled in Time #1)
  • The Mad Wolf's Daughter
  • Max Einstein: The Genius Experiment (Max Einstein, #1)
  • The Lifters
  • Rush Revere and the Presidency (Adventures of Rush Revere, #5)
  • Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry, #3)
  • Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern Retelling of Little Women
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • The Ambrose Deception
  • The Sky at Our Feet
  • Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • The Vengekeep Prophecies
John Bemelmans Marciano carries on the legacy begun by his grandfather, Ludwig Bemelmans, author and illustrator of the Madeline books, with stunning watercolor artwork and playful, energetic storytelling.

News & Interviews