Start by marking “The Faygo Book” as Want to Read:
The Faygo Book

The Faygo Book

The Faygo Book is the social history of a company that has forged a bond with a city and its residents for more than a century. The story of Faygo, Detroit's beloved soda pop, begins over a hundred years ago with two Russian immigrant brothers who were looking to get out of the baking business. Starting with little more than pots, pails, hoses, and a one-horse wagon, Ben ...more
Published October 1st 2018 by Painted Turtle Book

To ask other readers questions about The Faygo Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faygo Book

Start your review of The Faygo Book
Aaron Cochrill
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting and informative read sharing a lot I hadn't known about Faygo. It also provided a nostalgic walk down memory lane! I remember getting cases of Faygo glass bottles, selecting our favorite flavors as a kid for the summertime. This is a quick and easy read about a Michigan icon that is revered to this day!
Sarah Andreotti
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, informative book on everyone's beloved Faygo pop! I needed a book with a "Michigan sticker" on it for our local library's summer reading Bingo, and I was excited to see this on the new books shelf. It is a fun read for any Michigander, Faygo lover or just pop lover in general. Lots of fun pictures, the history of their advertising, and history of the company and their Detroit ties. I loved the fun "Pop Quiz" at the end of each chapter, and the whole long list of flavors was fun to read, ...more
Joan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: detroit, non-fiction
I really enjoyed this book because it brought back memories of growing up. Faygo was a treat in our house. This book tells the story fo the brothers who were bakers, changing their professions to pop makers. They created new flavors as well as popularizing the word pop when others scorned the word. Faygo stayed in Detroit, employed Detroiters and supported Detroit projects. They also with the Doner Advertising Company created some of the more iconic commercials in Detroit. As I read about the ...more
Jennifer Bentley
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like I have loved Faygo my whole life. This book evokes so much nostalgia, just love the photographs of Faygo artifacts and reprints of old advertisements... it is a quick read and fun with the quizzes peppered throughout- not at all serious, but it has a bibliography that is sure to turn out some great reading material about Detroit's most recent past. Faygo's Pineapple flavor is best frozen in your own popsicle mold.
Chelsea Gouin
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Faygo Pop is the flavorful carbonated beverage Michigan natives expect to see at every gas station and party store. Joe Grimm chronicles the history of the pop and how it took over the Mitten State. As a Michigan East-Sider, I've driven by the Faygo Factory in Detroit more times than I can count. So many delicious flavors to choose from, this is a staple drink for us! I really loved all the pictures and the fun "pop-quizzes" thrown in at the end of every chapter.
Moop
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Very informative about Faygo, the pop industry and Detroit. Loved learning about Faygo and it's history in Detroit. Well written, very colorful and I loved the "pop quizzes" at the end of each chapter.
Trish
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
This is a neat book about Faygo soda.
Sean Kottke
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, michigan-books
Super fun history of the second most beloved pop in Michigan (after Vernor's, of course). Beautiful book design, with excellent illustrations.
Gayle L. Howie-Ison
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I never knew so much about Faygo! Love the history, huge fan of trivia.
Danielle
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting book. It was nice to read about Michigan history
Bianca
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun and interesting. Made me want some Faygo lol
Carol B.
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, upbeat story

I’ve lived in the Detroit area all my life. This book was a trip down memory lane. I still drink Faygo!
Megan
Jun 14, 2019
Joi
Dec 17, 2018
Nov 29, 2019

• The Second Worst Restaurant in France (Paul Stuart, #2)
  • The Searcher
  • The Second Chance Supper Club
  • I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank the Irishman Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa
  • Howard Stern Comes Again
  • The Kill Club
  • The World According to Fannie Davis: My Mother's Life in the Detroit Numbers
  • The Polaris Protocol (Pike Logan, #5)
  • The Callsign (Pike Logan, #2.5)
  • A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature
  • Moneyland: Why Thieves and Crooks Now Rule the World and How To Take It Back
  • Stalking Shadows: The Most Chilling Experiences of a Paranormal Investigator
  • SprawlBall: A Visual Tour of the New Era of the NBA
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
Grimm, a lifelong Detroit area resident, is a journalism professor at Michigan State University. With his students or by himself, he has published more than 20 books.

(source: Amazon)