Start by marking “Claire's Last Secret: A Historical Mystery Featuring Lord Byron” as Want to Read:
Claire's Last Secret: A Historical Mystery Featuring Lord Byron

Claire's Last Secret: A Historical Mystery Featuring Lord Byron

A tragic death leads Claire Clairmont to be haunted by her past and the 'summer of 1816' she shared with Byron and Shelley in this first in an intriguing new historical trilogy.

1873, Florence. Claire Clairmont, the last survivor of the 'haunted summer of 1816' Byron/Shelley circle, is living out her final years in genteel poverty, but the appearance of British tourist,
Published September 1st 2018 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Claire's Last Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claire's Last Secret

Kirsty ❤️
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, history
I do like historical novels when they're based on real life people and as I only know bits about Byron and Shelley and nothing of Claire Claremont this one really appealed to me.

It's definitely a richly detailed book and you can tell a lot of research went into it. I found myself really enjoying the characters and I liked the way the book moved from 1873 to 1817 throughout.

Other reviews have said there will be a second book and if so I can't wait to read it
Shomeret
When publicist Mary Glenn McCombs asked me if I wanted to read Marty Ambrose's first historical mystery, Claire's Last Secret, for review I jumped at the chance because I hadn't read a novel from the perspective of Claire Claremont. I was generously supplied with free review copies in both digital and print formats via Mary Glenn McCombs.

Claire's Last Secret is a dual period novel that contains sections taking place during Claire's youth in 1816 and Claire's old age in 1873. There are mysterious
Alyssa Maxwell
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although this is a historical mystery, it also reads like historical fiction as it traces the relationship of Lord Byron and one of his mistresses, Claire Clairmont, stepsister to Mary Shelley. We experience the relationship with Bryon through Claire's eyes, as well as her relationship with her sister and brother-in-law, Percy Bysshe Shelley. The story is beautifully told against the backdrop of Lake Geneva, and although these relationships are often frustrating, they realistically depict the at ...more
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based upon the true story of the conception and infamous writing weekend of Mary Shelly’s famous Gothic ghost story, Frankenstein, this historical mystery intertwines delicious bits of true history with a tantalizing tale of lost love and murder.

Set in 1873, the stepsister of Mary Shelley, Claire Cairmont is the only survivor of that fateful summer in 1816. Now Claire is forced to remember those days – as if she could ever forget.

As a young woman, in love with a married man and expecting his chi
Ronnie
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free ebook copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review was originally posted on my blog, Paradise Found.

Claire's Last Secret is the first book in a trilogy that unrolls a mystery involving Claire's long lost daughter, Allegra. Claire Clairmont, Mary Shelley's half sister usually doesn't get much recognition when the creative group that spent the 'haunted summer' in Geneva is mentioned. It's little wonder actually, given that she
Linda Lanoue
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoy historical fiction, especially when it seems to be well researched, as this seemed to be. It was a short and easy read, but it would have made a better short story. There was too much padding, a lot of it in the form of angst. The ship captain's log had very little to do with the rest of the story.

I probably would have given it 3, or possibly even 4 stars, except for all the loose ends, and extremely unsatisfying ending.

Note: POSSIBLE SPOILER FOLLOWS!!!!

As Elmore Leonard said, endings a
Wendy Mills
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Claire’s Last Secret is a beautifully written historical mystery told by Claire Clairmont, the last survivor of the Byron/Shelley circle who must relive her memories of the haunted summer of 1816 to find the killer of a beloved friend Full of twists and turns, this delightful story kept me entranced by Claire’s poetic voice, and racing to the end to discover the identity of the murderer. Highly recommend!
Dolores A.
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is exquisitely written.
Most people know of Lord Byron and the Shelleys, but few know about Mary's stepsister, Claire Clairmont. This book shows an insightful look into the thoughts and ideals of an uninhibited young woman and where her actions led her; and, also, into the everyday lives of Byron, Mary and Percy Shelley.
I look forward to the next "secret."
Michaela's Journey into Books
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
*I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review*

This is an historical fiction based on the life of Claire Clairmont and follows two different timelines, the first being 1873 Florence where Claire is struggling with whether she should sell her memorabilia in order to support her and her niece. The second is the Summer of 1816 that Claire spent in Geneva with Lord Byron, Mary and Percy Shelley. This was a really interesting story an
Rachel
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Claire’s Last Secret" is a novel based on the true story of Claire Clairmont, the step-sister of Mary Shelley (author of Frankenstein). Within this novel, we read about love; a love that is pure and lustful and free. An equal amount of pure and lustful love is shown by Claire towards Lord Byron, her “summer fling” according to some. To her, though, he was her everything. He was the father of her daughter, Allegra, who she would end up losing at a young age.
The chapters split between present-da
Amy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hist-fict, have-ecopy
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. It's the first book I've read by this author, but I hope there will be others featuring Claire. I finished this one more quickly than I usually manage - partly because of an unusual amount of time spent in waiting rooms but also because it was a wonderful story.

Edited to add: See entry titled 'The Literary Pilgrimage at Castle Chillon' here - https://www.martyambrose.com/didyouknow. Author does state this is book one of a proposed trilogy.
Phyllis
Jean Freiberg
Mar 10, 2019
Terri
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anytime Lord Byron or Mary Shelley mentioned it is a given I Will be reading . . This is a mystery with the central Claire Claremont ,Mary Shelley’s stepsister. She is last survivor of haunted summer where Shelley wrote her infamous Frankenstein .. Living out her days in poverty with her niece she is approached to sell her letters from the famous poet . When she receives a note about her daughter she conceived With Byron it sets events in motion . Told in alternate timelines this is riveting sto ...more
Carrie Forman
Jan 09, 2019
Donna
rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2018
Mandy
Apr 29, 2019
Tammy Buchli
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting concept reasonably well executed. I found Claire to fairly likeable; Byron and Shelley a good deal less so. But it was the ending of the book that really lost me. While I realize that this is the first of a trilogy, the cliffhanger ending was so abrupt it felt like slamming into a wall. I’m not sure my interest in the story is strong enough to survive the wait for book two.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC ebook in exchange for a review.
Gianna
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A historical fiction book revolving around the great historical figures of Byron and Shelley, Claire's Last Secret was a very interesting read. It was well constructed, well-researched as far as he era was concerned, and had the reader guessing about the dark secrets that the heroine keeps hidden away.

All in all a very good story that is the first in a series, Claire's Last Secret is highly recommended for people who love historical fiction.
Carol
Aug 26, 2018
Ramona
Mar 04, 2019

• Imposture
  • No Cure for the Dead (Florence Nightingale Mystery #1)
  • Wildly Romantic: The English Romantic Poets: The Mad, the Bad, and the Dangerous
  • La casa dei sette cadaveri
  • The Late Lord Byron (Neversink)
  • The Corsair
  • All The Things You Are
  • The Third Squad
  • Frames (Valentino, #1)
  • Leányrablás Budapesten (Ambrózy báró esetei, #1)
  • A Safe Place for Dying (Dek Elstrom #1)
  • Byron: Child of Passion, Fool of Fame
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • The Murder of My Aunt
  • Verdict of Twelve
  • Original Death (Duncan McCallum, #3)
  • The Viper
  • Silk
Marty Ambrose writes about characters who are willing to risk everything--for life and love, whether in contemporary mystery or historical memoir/mystery.

It all about taking chances and finding what makes your heart sing.

Marty has been doing just that in her writing for most of her life, consumed with the world of literature, whether teaching creative writing in the MFA program at Southern New Ham