Start by marking “Secret Stairs: A Tribute to Urban Legend” as Want to Read:
Secret Stairs: A Tribute to Urban Legend

Secret Stairs: A Tribute to Urban Legend

You mustn't talk about the stairs.

There they stand, surrounded by nothing but forest, pristine as the day they were built. No sign remains of any other structure around them, no ruins of long forgotten buildings. They look... wrong. They feel wrong. Bad things happen if you get too close. Horrible things.

You must never, ever ever talk about them.

Thirty-four of today's best
Published February 26th 2018 by Silver Empire

To ask other readers questions about Secret Stairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Stairs

Start your review of Secret Stairs: A Tribute to Urban Legend
Aly
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an exciting anthology! It is creepy and scary and everything in between for me. It is a very long book but well worth it! Great short stories in this book. For me, the editor's note was helpful for me because it gave an insight on how this book got started and the choices put into publishing a book like this. I really enjoyed it very much! *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
losira13gmail.com
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Found it to be a different set of stories, would have to say that it was something that I wasn't expecting and gave me some authors to follow in the book if I want to read more by them. Some stories were creepy, some were fun, others the stuff of nightmares but all I can say is read the book and you can decide which is which.
Nigel
Feb 28, 2018 added it
Can 33 short stories about stairs in the woods stay fresh? Well before answering that question full disclosure I received Secret Stairs in advance with the condition I provide a truthful review.

'Secret Stairs' is one of the best short story collections I've ever read. It's amazing the diversity and quality of the stories. We've got the paranormal investigation to fairy tales to urban fantasy, to downright high fantasy, even some Science fiction.

My favorite's from the collection are 'The Strange
Roger
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories by 34 authors new to me. All were good, some more enjoyable than others.
Jonathan
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review. To be honest when a signed up to review this book i did not know what i was getting into. who would have thought that several authors could write mystical stairs. Some of the short stories i enjoyed it was 50/50 on likes to dislikes. Some of the authors i will go onto researching and trying out their books.

Bonnie Racki
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible Stories!

Great tales by several authors inspired by the Urban Legend of secrets stairs that appear suspiciously in the woods. They give you that awful feeling but your curiosity makes you want to climb them. That's when something horrible happens. There is stories of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Thriller, Mystery, and Horror. I loved every single story and really can't say that only one of them is my favorite.
Cathy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author. I had the opportunity to review or not.

What a group of stories! It was a little strange knowing that each tale was about stairs, mostly leading nowhere. Visible. However, even though they were all about stairs, the diversity of the stories was amazing. I enjoyed them all and found myself guessing what this one would be about. Mostly, I couldnt. The authors imaginations were beyond my poor thinking.

You will have to grab this book in order to
Molly priestly
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book couldn't put it down. I finished it in one night. Cant wait to read more from this author.

Rick Blair
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A plethora of spine-tingling tales to be found here! A great read....but do so with the lights on and the doors and windows locked!

Ann Hupe
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Im not into anthologies I LOVED THIS ANTHOLOGY!!!

The basis of this collection of short stories is all about an urban (rural??) legend about an appearing/disappearing staircase style in the middle of the woods. I appreciated the editors note on how this compilation came to be because I now know why he mentioned how hard it was to sift through all the submissions that eventually became this book. Id probably had published them all had they been well-written.

Most of these stories were easy to get
Seema Rao
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This anthology includes more than 30 short stories rather from fantasy to romance retelling urban lore. Each story rings true due to the cultural diffusion of urban lore--thanks Internet. While the tone of the stories varies considerably, the quality remains consistently high. Some of my favorites include Fire and Pine by Bethany C. Gotchall, the Curses We Carry by Russell Mahon, and Where Angels Fear to Tread by Michelle Mellon.

This is an ideal book for someone who wants to taste a number of
Mary Margaret Devine
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Stairs was taken as the subject of each story and each story, while wildly different used stairs to
great effect. Highly entertaining and frankly frightening at times. I couldn't put the book down and read all stories in one sitting.
The one downside of reading this book was the fact that I didn't want to use the stairs in my home.
I feel that this was the point of this anthology of short stories. Loved every
Muriel Carlisle
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
she was now her true self, a beautiful creature with poison for blood, a white oleander. - Cedar Road

Some stories I absolutely wish hadnt ended while others could have so the 3 star rating is due to that unfortunately (to be honest its a 3.5). By far my favorite was the last story - gave me goosebumps; hoping maybe a full novel comes from it.

Word of wise: if you ever find a lone staircase in the middle of the woods - dont go up them. You dont know what is on the other side or what can come out
Debbi Smith
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with any anthology, there are stories you like and some not so well. Overall I enjoyed most of them. If you enjoy urban legends I recommend this book.

Riann
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A varied collection of short stories by various authors which center on the urban legend of a flight of stairs in the woods. Very entertaining and imaginative! I would high recommend this collection!
Domino
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed half of the stories, but quickly grew tired of the theme.
Jennifer Vest
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth reading

Very good book! Loved all the various perspectives of one urban legend and also discovered some new authors to check out.
Nick Young
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Truth be told, before I settled in to read Secret Stairs I had no idea an urban legend involving mysterious staircases existed. I find it an odd concept, but I suppose that's the point: if it was mundane there wouldn't be much to talk -- or write -- about. But as Russell Newquist found out, the thirty-plus authors who took up his challenge had plenty to say. The result is an amusing if uneven (and what anthology isn't?) collection. For purposes of this review, let me single out two pieces for ...more
Kim
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every short in this collection left me interested in reading a continuation.

The premise seems simplistic, but each author created differently.

I specifically liked a few of them, though all enticed me to search for the authors' other works. Daniel Humphreys' piece was my favorite. I won't leave any "spoilers" though that's hard with such short stories, but his drew me in with the first words of a possible suicide.

I'd love to see more collections like this. At first I was a slight-bit
Judy Johnson
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the length of this book deter you! This is a wonderful collection of a lot of shorts with all the stories based on stairs in the woods, that for the most part keep you reading way into the night. All the stories grip you somehow, and since this such a huge book, you are sure to find many that please in the Sci Fi, Fantasy and Horror genres. Each story, individual in it's own right, lets you easily move to the next without feeling too much like you're left hanging, although there is ...more
Erin
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful and unique anthology! I have never heard of one being centered around Stairs in the woods, so I knew I was in for something different. And I was not disappointed in the least. The amount of stories alone make this book totally worth it. And the variety!! There is a little bit of everything for every kind of genre.

The stories were well-written and I have already found some new favorite authors. I also like the order the books are put in. Each surprises you as to what
Scarolet Ellis
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!!!! I could not put this down. I so badly am waiting to read more from Russell Newquist. I highly recommend this book and author to everyone who loves a terrific book. i can't wait to read more loved it. I so want to read more from him.

Jessica Traver cashen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s
Great read. Well written, with great plot and characters. This collection of short stories is about a finding a staircase in the woods. Every story is different. I thought this was unique. I really enjoyed this book of shorts. I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book from Booksprout.
Rich
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This anthology includes stories of horror, fantasy, mystery and science fiction. After reading the first story I had trouble putting the book down.
Secret Stairs has stories for almost everyone and I recommend this for readers of all genres.

Heather Everett
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of good stories, a few great ones, and a couple I didnt like. All in all, I recommend this for teen+ readers.

Tanya
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a flight of stairs with nothing else around except a forest. no one knows where they lead. never ever talk about them. what is up there? dare you go up them? wonderful and creepy

Myreadbooks
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, booksprout
I really appreciate this book but i put three stars because there are extract of books in this collection of books. It diserve to have more stories and less extracts of books.
Shannon
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great collection of stories that show how different stories can be even when they start with the same idea. I received an arc and am voluntarily reviewing it.
Barb VanderWel
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
jody scheppmann
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not too bad

When I want a short story...that's what I want..not a mini-book. Some of the story were way too long and too descriptive.

• Lingering Things and Other Dark Tales: A Horror Anthology
  • Alphabet Soup: Horror Stories for the Tormented Soul
  • The Trees Have Eyes: Horror Stories From The Forest
  • Fantastic Tales of Terror: History's Darkest Secrets
  • The Box Under The Bed
  • The Horror Collection: Black Edition (THC Book 2)
  • Room 9 and Other Ghost Stories
  • 30 Twisted Tales
  • Under The Safe House & Other Stories
  • Carnival Of Fear (Creepiest Show On Earth #1)
  • Jitter Issue #6
  • Brutal Bedtime Stories
Russell graduated from the University of Alabama in Huntsville in 2000 with a BA in Philosophy. Naturally, he began a career as a computer programmer. Later, he went on to earn a MS in Computer Science. Somewhere along the way he earned a black belt, and then added a few stripes to it and opened his own dojo. Thinking that he didn't have enough hats to wear, he started publishing company Silver ...more