Start by marking “Of Love & War” as Want to Read:
Of Love & War

Of Love & War

From the Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist and New York Times bestselling author, a stunning and personally curated selection of her work across the Middle East, South Asia, and Africa

Lynsey Addario has captured audiences with her disarming and compelling photographs and her uncanny ability to personalize even the most remote corners of our world. Here, the Pulitzer P
Published October 23rd 2018 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about Of Love & War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Love & War

Start your review of Of Love & War
Steve
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well done, Lynsey Addario! Your book is ... (terribly) beautiful and poignant and compelling and raw and informative and thought-provoking and sad and awe-inspiring and ... and ... a fitting autobiographical retrospective on an ... impressive and celebrated career. Also, kudos to Addario for her naked and raw and self-aware honesty (which I distinguish from her insecurities, which, of course, drive many (most?) lifelong-high-achievers).

Frankly, I wish I had seen and read this book first ... or,
Chinook
Addsrio takes really moving photos - the sorts that inspire awe and emotion. I wish there’d been even more photos to experience in this book. The background stories and emails added just enough info to keep the visuals in context.
Jeimy
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a hard book to peruse. Addario has bore witness to many atrocities and has not been shy in recording them in the hopes to elicit aid. The photos elicit a visceral reaction and the correspondence that accompany them can be equally heart wrenching.
Bastian Greshake Tzovaras
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just by chance I had read Addario’s excellent “It’s what I do” a few days prior to the release of this book and it made me want to see more of her amazing and moving pictures.

Luckily, this book is just that: a collection of her work from all around the globe.
Doug Trani
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photojournalism
I listened to Lynsey Addario’s autobiography, “It’s What I Do: A Photographer’s Life of Love & War”, on Audible several months prior to the publication of this book: “Of Love & War”. Although her writing evoked vivid visual imagery, I often found myself wishing that I could see photographs of the scenes she described in her autobiography. I understand that the print version of “It’s What I Do” has a few pictures, but not like “Of Love & War”. Addario’s compassion for people in conflict, her amaz ...more
Stephen
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I think the thing most people don't understand is that taking a photograph is a tiny percent of what it is to be a photographer. It's also everything else: doing the research, getting the access, writing the proposal, doing the logistics, getting the visa, finding a place to stay, getting access to the subject, getting the subject to open up to me..." -L. Addario

Unlike most photography collections I've ever seen, Lynsey Addario's Of Love and War seems singularly great at revealing a process, o
Jgrace
Of Love and War - Addario
4 stars

This is a coffee table book of Lynsey Addario’s prize winning photography. It is a logical companion book to her memoir, It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War. Some of the same photographs are included in the memoir in a smaller format. I’d also seen many of them on her website. Much of this book’s text is duplicated in the memoir, but there are also several essays from other well known journalists. The larger format of this book increases the imp
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Photos and experiences from the career of Lynsey Addario - brutal, shocking, painful to look at. Her main concern as a photographer is covering race, justice, war, and women's issues. I had to put this down several times because of the graphic content- and I'm a certified nurse -midwife who has seen plenty of emergencies. It is different to read about the maternal mortality rate in Sierra Leone and to see photos of a young girl dying after childbirth though. A good reminder of the suffering of s ...more
javadiva
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This goes to the top of my list as a must-read.
Why you should read this:
Refugees
Women's Issues
War in the Mideast
Compassion
Gratitude

The one thing I disliked was how some pages were full of film strips too tiny to see the details.

What I liked the most about this book: the one page accounts of what the author or colleague personally experienced. The words were more powerful than the photos.

I learned things I will never forget, and my heart has opened up even wider, and I wake up grateful for al
Joanne
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i first read her memoir. I was somewhat familiar with her photography from magazines and newspapers but this coffee table sized book is amazing. besides her amazing photographs it tells some of the subjects; stories and there's a fascinating interview with Lynsey. Her bravery amazes me and some photos are hard to look at but talk about putting one's own issues in perspective. i highly recommend this. i wish every world leader would look at it tho our pres would say it's fake news.
Mimi Emig
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Remarkable collection of photos, letters, and brief essays by photojournalist Lynsey Addario. Her photos span almost 20 years, covering multiple wars, refugee crises, and international women's issues. Insightful and touching, they are sometimes difficult to view yet left me wanting more. A truly talented photojournalist, perhaps more so because as a woman she is able to make connections in some closed societies that men would be unable to.
Lyds
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of those photo series that will stay with you long after finishing this book. Stunning and powerful. Lynsey really captures the most intimate and raw humans emotions. My heart goes out to all who have suffered from war, and to all who are still suffering. My greatest respect goes out to the strong war photographers who put their life on the line to share what is going on in these places of turmoil. This book is a reminder of the stark troubles of the world.
Elizabeth R
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
So glad I was able to get this from the library to read! Compelling photos and subject matter, and mostly writing that supported that. My only criticism, which is not really a criticism, is that I wanted more - double or triple the amount of photos and background on each section. Some of the writing and interviews were a little much, but I’m assuming there are people out there who are interested in a ton of detail about process or this or that NGO. Regardless, well worth the read!
Steph
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a photographic journey into war-torn countries with injustice a part of everyday lives. It explores experiences of women in war, women birthing a child in really dire circumstances and the limited resources they have to give an adequate birth. This also explores war, poverty, determination and oh, the story and letters is incredibly impactful.

It is emotionally heavy. I felt so bewildered, surprised and just utterly pressured from the representation of war, poverty, hurt and pain th
Leonard
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding collection of photographs of people and war. The images are sobering and the human suffering is obvious. Addario has often placed herself in danger to get the photos she needed to tell these stories. It would be great if this photograph would result in the world being a more peaceful place.
Chris Neumann
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
An award-winning photojournalist showcases some of her best pieces while sharing her thoughts on her career and what she has seen on the front lines of foreign conflict and famine. Incredible stuff.
Read this book.
Hamilton
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photos that really made me think about my own privileged and how others exist in the world. I'm glad that I also read her memoir this year and was able to view this book in the context of knowing more about Addario and her own experiences capturing these images.
Crystal
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Lynsey's collection of photography along with her reflections on her career so far. She is an incredibly amazing woman and one I admire. Her work is timely and very important. Beautifully done...loved it.
Brian
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poignant photos. Really brings to life the devastation of war, poverty, oppression, etc. A few quibbles: perhaps more expansive captions, for example. Yet, perhaps, that would have diluted the power of the images.
Zhuo Zhang
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book - stunning pictures and well-written story telling. Cherish my current life more.
Eva
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had loved reading her memoir and couldn't wait to get my hands on her photography book. Lynsey Addario is an incredible photographer and storyteller ♥
Michelle
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Hypnotic. Horrifying and real.
Kaitlyn
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Addario is one of my favorite photographers and I love her and her work. These stories are heartbreaking and the images are not for the faint of heart. But they are so important.
Katrina Clohessy
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
A devastating look at war and resilience through the lens of a photojournalist's camera, accompanied by her letters and emails.
Annie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Beautiful and moving images. I loved reading the pieces from Addario that complement the images and share some of what she was experiencing and feeling at the time that she took them.
Orlaith
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional photo essay series spanning a fascinating and difficult career. A must read!
Rebecka Jäger
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sobering account of a primitive world of unceasing war: earth. Fighting, mutilation and the fate of these women yanked me out of my everyday troubles. I sat and stared at the images. The stories behind them shook me.

Read- watch- this book. Some corners of the world have never heard of #metoo.

I write about war. I needed to see these images.
Sara
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: profound
I loved this book. I read her memoir a year or so again and was over the moon when I realized she had another book. The pictures were stunning and heartbreaking all at the same time. The snippets of context and info added to the stories they told and I was glad that I had read it.
Sheri
Oct 14, 2019
Jacqueline
Jul 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Play Book Tag: Of Love and War - Addario - 4 stars 3 11 Feb 12, 2019 05:17PM

• In Extremis: The Life of War Correspondent Marie Colvin
  • Make Your Own Ideabook with Arne & Carlos: Create Handmade Art Journals and Bound Keepsakes to Store Inspiration and Memories
  • King Alice
  • Find Momo: A Photography Book
  • Here I Am: The Story of Tim Hetherington, War Photographer
  • The Poetry of Christina Rossetti
  • Hello Mum
  • How To Get Over A Boy
  • Coming of Age in Mississippi: The Classic Autobiography of a Young Black Girl in the Rural South
  • Tell Them I Didn't Cry: A Young Journalist's Story of Joy, Loss, and Survival in Iraq
  • Travels With Myself and Another
  • Daughter Of Destiny: An Autobiography
  • Margaret Thatcher on Leadership: Lessons for American Conservatives Today
  • Feisty & Feminine: A Rallying Cry for Conservative Women
  • The Uncommon Wisdom of Ronald Reagan: A Portrait in His Own Words
  • Haunted: Tales of the Grotesque
  • Innocent Abroad: U.S. Diplomacy and the Effort to Transform the Middle East
  • Robert Capa: A Biography
Lynsey Addario is an American photojournalist who regularly photographs for The New York Times, National Geographic, and Time Magazine.

Lynsey began photographing professionally for the Buenos Aires Herald in Argentina 1996 with no previous photographic training or studies. She eventually began freelancing for the Associated Press in New York, where she worked for several years before moving abroad

News & Interviews

“I look at women like that and I just can't believe it never gets any better for so many people on this planet. When I look at this book, this body of work, I think, Why are we so lucky to have born in a country of no war? Why am I so lucky? That's what I always come back to. That's what still plagues me.” 0 likes