Start by marking “21 Lessons for the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
21 Lessons for the 21st Century

21 Lessons for the 21st Century

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  41,200 ratings  ·  3,834 reviews
In Sapiens, he explored our past. In Homo Deus, he looked to our future. Now, one of the most innovative thinkers on the planet turns to the present to make sense of today's most pressing issues.

How do computers and robots change the meaning of being human? How do we deal with the epidemic of fake news? Are nations and religions still relevant? What should we teach our chi
Published September 4th 2018 by Spiegel & Grau (first published August 30th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, please sign up.
Marie (UK) I read EVERY word of this book - i got a free copy from Netgalley in return for an honest review and believe me this is a book i will be talking about…moreI read EVERY word of this book - i got a free copy from Netgalley in return for an honest review and believe me this is a book i will be talking about for years to come(less)
Raul Delgado It is not needed but recommended, this book uses some references to the previous books. If you have the opportunity read them too, specially sapiens…moreIt is not needed but recommended, this book uses some references to the previous books. If you have the opportunity read them too, specially sapiens is a masterpiece.(less)

·  41,200 ratings  ·  3,834 reviews

Bill Gates
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The human mind wants to worry. This is not necessarily a bad thing—after all, if a bear is stalking you, worrying about it may well save your life. Although most of us don’t need to lose too much sleep over bears these days, modern life does present plenty of other reasons for concern: terrorism, climate change, the rise of A.I., encroachments on our privacy, even the apparent decline of international cooperation.

In his fascinating new book 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, the historian Yuval No
Emily May
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
I really like Harari. I like his books a lot, but I think that is at least in part due to how much I like him. He seems like an intelligent, intuitive and empathetic person, and so his books become all those things.

21 Lessons for the 21st Century is really a book about where we are and how we can move forward. It bridges the gap between Sapiens, which was about our past, and Homo Deus, which is about our future. Here, Harari looks at where we stand technologically and politically, debunking m
David Wineberg
Society 101

Yuval Harari is well known for his books Sapiens and Homo Deus. He has decided to squander his reputation on a book called 21 Lessons for the 21st Century. The basic problem is that every chapter is the subject of whole shelves of books, and putting them all in one book cannot possibly do them justice. What we have left is a set of 21 editorials, which might inform the totally uninformed, but provide little insight and no solutions. As “lessons” they are unhelpful.

He has conveniently
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This book is quite difficult to review.

I enjoyed Part 1 about the technological challenges humans will be faced with and how we can adapt. It reminded me that I need to read Homo Deus which hopefully will satisfy that craving for me.

The rest of the book was more political, religious and philosophical than I usually go for. The title misrepresented the content of the book as there are 21 chapters, not 21 lessons.

Overall learned quite a bit but I much preferred his other work.

I received an ARC fr
Anni
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Life as we know it, Jim! (But don't ask what it means).

'A wise old man was asked what he learned about the meaning of life. ‘Well,’ he answered, ‘I have learned that I am here on earth in order to help other people. What I still haven’t figured out is why the other people are here.’

As Harari explains:

David
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an utterly fantastic book, the third book I have read by Yuval Harari. They have all been exquisitely excellent! Harari is opinionated and blunt, no doubt about it. But what I most enjoy about this book--as in all of his books--is the unique insights he brings to the discussion. I just love the way he thinks about things. This book contains very few answers--mainly it's about questions. But Harari develops ways to think about issues that are very relevant today.

The 21 lessons are contain
Mehrsa
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I've read all of Harari's books and I really like him as a thinker and a writer. This book is wonderful in the way all his books are wonderful and is flawed in the way the rest are. It is an act of bold ambition and also hubris to write a history of the world, answer the meaning of life, and to propose a path toward the 22nd Century. He certainly does not do all of that, but the act of trying is a lot of fun to read. A lot of his predictions for the future sound like fantasy and science fiction, ...more
Otis Chandler
Harari is one of my favorite authors of late, and his books Sapiens and Home Deus are among my favorites. This book builds on those, and is equally fascinating. He is one of those clear thinkers who is able to put together multiple macro trends combined with philosophical perspective. Sapiens is about the past, Deus about the future, and this book purports to be 21 lessons about the present. But it is also rooted in the past, and preparing us for the future.

One of Harari's key themes in Deus an
Anton
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
As always, masterful and exquisite non-fiction writing as we come to expect from Mr Harari. Delightful, wise and very perceptive. This book can be seen as an expansion and a companion to Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow. The attention of this volume is focused on the Present as opposed to Past or the Future. Some parts will make you feel inspired, others will sow a despair. But it is a relevant and useful book that will give you a plenty to chew on.

Strongly recommended
André Oliveira
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is going to upset some people.

I really enjoyed Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind and Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow , my favorite being Sapiens.

okay. this book.

Yuval Noah Harari takes some really big topics as religion, nationalism, secularism, liberty, equality, immigration, terrorism, fake news and so much more, and give us his opinions on these subjects
always being really frank and upfront.

So, I can say that I liked this book because I agree with a lot of his opinions. I
kartik narayanan
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book that will do it justice? Nothing.

21 Lessons for the 21st Century is yet another seminal work by Yuval Noah Harari, which deals with the challenges facing us here and now. He tackles different topics from varying perspectives. Even if you do not agree with everything he says, one thing is for sure - he makes you think.

Prepare to have your worldview expand if you read this book. It is a definite keeper.
Jenna
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Questions you cannot answer are usually far better for you than answers you cannot question."

Has anyone ever asked you which author you would choose to read if you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have one author with you? I could not come up with any one writer until reading Yuval Harari. Now, I would without a doubt choose him. There might only be 3 books he's written so far, and though I've read all 3, I could spend years re-reading them and reflecting on all that is contai
verysadturtle
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Unlike the author's previous books, this one was clearly "written" at the request of publishers; a pure marketing move.

This should have been obvious, if not from the painfully commercial title, then from the fact that the author would not have had the time to write anything of substance since Homo Deus.

The book is a collection of essays, and it would have been more honest to market it as such. The essays themselves vary in quality; some are fairly interesting and/or enjoyable, others so full of
Peter Mcloughlin
The author has a good sense of the forces that are shaping our world. The author really understands the current historical moment and the factors that people should pay attention to. From education to war and peace, to class warfare, to technological displacement, to climate change the author gives a good guide to the times we are living in. Good stuff.
Anni
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Life as we know it, Jim
Or: Don't ask what it means!

'A wise old man was asked what he learned about the meaning of life. ‘Well,’ he answered, ‘I have learned that I here on earth in order to help other people. What I still haven’t figured out is why the other people are here.’

As Harari explains:

“We are now living in an age of information explosion … the last thing people need is more information. What they really need is somebody to arrange all of the bits of information into a meaningful p
Bharath
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading both Sapiens and Homo Deus, especially the former. This book picks up the thread and is set between the matter of Sapiens (now Homo Sapiens came to rule the Earth) and Homo Deus (what awaits us in the future) in terms of time scales. While the author talks about this book’s matter being more relevant to the present, it is still set out a little into the future.

The book starts with the impact of technology – robotics, artificial intelligence and biotechnology. This is going to m
Charlie Hasler
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating read. It made me feel quite uncomfortable at times, reading something and allowing the words to unplug your mind from the Matrix is a strange feeling.

I enjoyed how the author didn’t shy away from any subjects, no subject is safe as it were, and nor should it be. Everything be it religion or world politics must be open for criticism and dissection.

After putting this book down each evening I pondered on the chapters I had just read, and the ones before that. I am a thinker/day dreame
Preston Kutney
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you’ve read Sapiens and Homo Deus (which I really enjoyed), you can skip.

This is basically a collection of Harari’s opinions on a group of topics somewhat relevant to today, repackaged from his first two books, with all the same strengths and flaws: good storytelling about human history, human nature, the future; but also the signature flaw in his writing - very little distinction between ideas that have substantial evidence and those that are simply his opinions.
Bianca
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A million stars

Educational+ Informative + Food for thought = BRILLIANT = MUST READ
Ray
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, nonfic, spirit
I got a lot out of this book. I do understand the criticisms that Harari can be unfocused in this list of lessons, or rather questions without clear answers (but what's wrong with that?), and it is not quite the must-read that was Sapiens and even Homo Deus.

That said, having a book of Yuval Harari disjointedly riffing about the state of the world is about the most fascinating kind of read I could ask for. The more, the better. His ideas about religion, technology, story-telling, identity, medit
Nada EL Shabrawy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, english
A super important book!
Laura Noggle
Initial Thoughts: Overly generalized and vague, you'll be hard pressed to find many concrete "lessons"— although there's a fair amount of astute insights and quotable aphorisms.

“In a world deluged by irrelevant information, clarity is power.”

Based on all the rave reviews, I thought at first maybe I had missed something until Bill Gates' 3 star review confirmed my initial opinion.

The first portion of the book was my favorite, and although I've already hit my personal limit on digital futurecasti
Lou
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yuval Noah Harari, author of 'Sapiens', which looked at the history of mankind and 'Homo Deus' which looked to the future, is back with '21 Lessons for the 21st Century' a book which very much explores present day issues. As I enjoyed his previous two books I was excited to delve into this collection to see how it would compare. Just as accessible as the others it discusses important topical issues such as fake news, immigration, terrorism, and climate change, to name but a few. I found each top ...more
Krista
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2018, essays, arc
Humans have always lived in the age of post-truth. Homo sapiens is a post-truth species, whose power depends on creating and believing fictions. Ever since the Stone Age, self-reinforcing myths have served to unite human collectives. Indeed, Homo sapiens conquered this planet thanks above all to the unique human ability to create and spread fictions.

As Yuval Noah Hurari states in his introduction, his book Sapiens was about the deep past of human history, Homo Deus was about our deep future, and
Carol (Bookaria)
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
An exploration of today’s most pressing current events analyzed in the author’s unique style. He discusses deep subjects with illuminating insight and an unwavering logic.

I love diving into the author’s books, this is the third title I’ve read by him and is just as excellent as Sapiens and Homo Deus. If I had to describe this book in a few words, I’d say it’s deeply insightful and easy to read.

Highly recommend it.
Begüm Saçak
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say this guy is a genius. In 21 Lessons for 21 Century Yuval Noah Harrari touches upon some important issues of today's world by drawing upon the technological and societal changes with a hint of history. Until I read this book, I did not realize how far we are from understanding and dealing with the changes we are going through in today's world. And it is such an interesting thing that we are trying to manage these new changes with outdated methods we have always ...more
Ryan Boissonneault
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Humanity faces unprecedented global challenges in the 21st century: climate change, the threat of nuclear war, growing inequality, artificial intelligence and automation, job loss and worker irrelevance, and a growing sense of disillusionment with liberalism that is driving humanity to embrace the counter-enlightenment values of nationalism and religion.

Yuval Noah Harari spends much of the book outlining these problems, placing them in historical perspective, and providing philosophical insight
SueLucie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I am becoming quite an evangelist for this book. I am keen to discuss it with everyone I know and, when it is published in a couple of months, I’ll be making sure they all read it. Perceptive and witty, seriously well researched, I was mesmerised by Harari’s take on the world as it is now and how it could be in the near future. He is the first to admit he doesn’t have all the answers to solve modern dilemmas but he is a whiz at distilling current thinking on our personal and global problems into ...more
Hiba Arrame
Apr 27, 2019 marked it as unfinished
I cannot possibly finish this book, extremely privileged and full of bias. I, in all honesty think that Harari should've stopped at Sapiens.
Morgan Blackledge
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yep.

I read it.

Me and like 10 million other people.

So I’ll be brief with this review.

It’s good.

He’s smart.

That being said.

This book is essentially a tangential, opinionated rant.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

It’s very evocative and entertaining.

But (in my humble opinion) the book suffers a bit due to it’s branching discursive style.

Harari is a fast and loose intellectual.

He really shoots from the hip.

His rapid fire style works to great effect most of the time.

But other times it

• Army of None: Autonomous Weapons and the Future of War
  • Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress
  • The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs (Provocations)
  • Full Planet, Empty Plates: The New Geopolitics of Food Scarcity
  • The Headspace Guide to Meditation & Mindfulness
  • Origin Story: A Big History of Everything
  • The Age of Sustainable Development
  • Heavens on Earth: The Scientific Search for the Afterlife, Immortality, and Utopia
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • The Captured Economy: How the Powerful Enrich Themselves, Slow Down Growth, and Increase Inequality
  • The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future
  • The Seventh Sense: Power, Fortune, and Survival in the Age of Networks
  • A Manual for Creating Atheists
  • The Systems View of Life
  • The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality and Our Destiny Beyond Earth
  • Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
  • Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist
  • Doing Good Better: How Effective Altruism Can Help You Make a Difference
Professor Harari was born in Haifa, Israel, to Lebanese parents in 1976. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Oxford in 2002, and is now a lecturer at the Department of History, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

He specialized in World History, medieval history and military history. His current research focuses on macro-historical questions: What is the relation between history and biolo
“Questions you cannot answer are usually far better for you than answers you cannot question.” 97 likes
“Morality doesn’t mean ‘following divine commands’. It means ‘reducing suffering’. Hence in order to act morally, you don’t need to believe in any myth or story. You just need to develop a deep appreciation of suffering.” 75 likes