Start by marking “My Sister, the Serial Killer” as Want to Read:
My Sister, the Serial Killer

My Sister, the Serial Killer

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  130,369 ratings  ·  15,500 reviews
When Korede's dinner is interrupted one night by a distress call from her sister, Ayoola, she knows what's expected of her: bleach, rubber gloves, nerves of steel and a strong stomach. This'll be the third boyfriend Ayoola's dispatched in, quote, self-defence and the third mess that her lethal little sibling has left Korede to clear away. She should probably go to the poli ...more
Published November 20th 2018 by Doubleday Books (first published July 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister, the Serial Killer, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hannah
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Linda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  130,369 ratings  ·  15,500 reviews

Start your review of My Sister, the Serial Killer
Roxane
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever novel about two sisters, one of whom is a serial killer, the other the resentful, yearning enabler. The satirical bent works really well here because it walks that fine line of being, given the contretemps, entirely plausible. Interesting observations about social media, men and what they want, and women who see right through them. Well worth a read.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This is dark! This is incredibly funny, entertaining! This is wild! This is incredibly smart, sarcastic and sardonic! Why did I wait too long? (Bang! Bang! Bang! Nope, I didn’t hit my head against the wall, this time my husband practiced his squash training with my head using oranges! I think I’m going to punch him so bad after his practice’s finishing!)

So let’s take a look at this provocative, unique, mind bending and hilarious crime story.

Korede, antisocial nurse, only feeling comfortable
Julie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite is a 2018 Doubleday Books publication.

Genius!

That provocative title and amazing cover art certainly piques one's curiosity. Noticing all the positive reactions the book received, I just had to see for myself if it was worth all the kudos.

Well, I have to say, this is my kind of book!! Seriously, I really, really, really love satire and dark humor. I do understand it is often an acquired taste, but it takes a special kind of creativity and bal
Miranda Reads
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook

CLICK HERE for a Booktube Video about:

Ten Fabulous Book Reviews and One That Will Make You Go - doesn't that belong to Miranda Reads?

Now that you know this one made the list check the video review to see the rest (and find the stolen surprise)!
The Written Review 4.5 stars
description

Ayoola, the beautiful, younger sister of Korede, calls her up on night for....what
Felice Laverne
Femi makes three, you know. Three, and they label you a serial killer.

In case you haven't noticed, Oyinkan Braithwaite’s My Sister, the Serial Killer has been taking the social media scene by storm the past few weeks. And I get it; the cover art is (pardon my pun) killer and the title exudes a certain titillation that will make a reader quickly reach for the book on the shelf. For me, My Sister, the Serial Killer, was an easy, brisk read that I mostly read in one sitting. And I was additionally
elena
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
She killed him on the first strike, a jab straight to the heart. But then she stabbed him twice more to be sure. He sank to the floor. She could hear her own breathing and nothing else.

A line like that is enough to grip the reader and their attention into a disturbing read of a serial killer and her sister. Being transported to Nigeria, where the sister of a nurse has just called her letting her know she has killed another one of her boyfriends is, without a doubt, something disturbi
Bibi
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, that’s what I call a damn good story!

Wow. Where do I even start?

Firstly, the story, coupled with the setting, alongside the characters, all resonate at a level only a fellow Nigerian would understand. Besides all that, the plot itself is unique, the prose is crisp and evocative; the characters, multilayered. Then there’s that dry sardonic humour that Braithwaite sprinkles throughout the story that made me cackle out loud where I probably should have been appalled.

Additionally, what Braith
Hannah Greendale
Set in Nigeria, My Sister, the Serial Killer follows dependable Korede and her younger sister, Ayoola, who - oops - occasionally murders people. Braithwaite's debut ranges from wry and macabre to predicable and stale. She lures her audience with two striking opening lines, and the first few chapters promise a sinster tale of deadpan humor and sly coverups, but the book quickly succumbs to familiar tropes: the beautiful, can-do-nothing-wrong younger sister and the older, less attractive sibling b ...more
jessica
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
definitely overhyped, but i actually enjoyed this more than i thought i would.

this is a super short, fast-paced novel. and due to its length and pacing, there really is no opportunity for complex characterisation. both korede and ayoola feel very one-dimensional and do not live up to the dichotomy their characters are meant to represent. there is a decent foundation present in this story, but lacks impressive building.

what i did enjoy was the writing itself. the brief, straight-to-the-point phr
emma
Honestly, I had more fun thinking about me and my sisters forming an elite team of serial killers than I did reading this.

I will never understand books that have extremely fun-sounding plots and then are boring. It feels like this story spent more time on the main character's unrequited crush on a doctor (boring, sad) than it did on having a SISTER who KILLS all her BOYFRIENDS (rad, dreamy, exciting, and so on).

In other words this book sounded like my dream and turned into my nightmare.

Really it
megs_bookrack
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

A unique novella following the perspective of a young woman, Korede, living in Lagos, Nigeria.

Korede is a nurse and initially it seems she lives a fairly normal life; she is on the straight and narrow, if you will.

Normal, until you discover that Korede's younger sister, Ayoola, kills all of her boyfriends.

I'm speaking literally. She kills them and then calls Korede to clean up the mess.

You're a big sister now, Korede. And big sisters look after little sisters.

Apparently
Larry H
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I can't pinpoint the exact moment I realized that Ayoola was beautiful and I was...not. But what I do know is that I was aware of my own inadequacies long before."

Korede is a nurse in Nigeria, dedicated to her patients and well-respected by her superiors. But no matter what her achievements are, she knows she'll always play second fiddle to her younger sister, Ayoola. Ayoola is the pretty one, the favorite—and she's a psychotic murderer.

One night Ayoola summons Korede to her boyfriend's house.
Cindy Pham
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I was hooked from the beginning of this book and loved the subtle, dark humor ingrained in Braithwaite's writing. I found the characters and sister dynamic to be super compelling, which incentivized me to read the rest of the story pretty quickly. Halfway through the book though, my interest started dwindling as the narrative ended up pretty straightforward. I wish there was more development with the plot points and relationships; this would have made the ending a lot punchier.
Christina - Traveling Sister
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4, the sisterhood of the traveling...serial killer stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

I finished this quite a bit ago, so I’m going to do my best to remember everything I thought about this book. This is at it’s heart a story about two sisters, Korede and Ayoola. Korede is pragmatic, level headed and sensible. Her sister Ayoola, is none of these things. Ayoola is rash, beautiful, vibrant, the favored child and deeply irresponsible. Oh, also – did I mention she’s a sociopath?
Adina
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nigeria, kindle-nou
4.5* rounded up.

I discovered this novel by accident while I was browsing the longlist for Orange Women Prize. I had no intention to read any of the proposed books since this year I don't feel I have the time to follow awards but the title immediately caught my eye. After reading the blurb I just knew I had to buy it and I left everything else I had started for this one. I am so glad I did because it was such a pleasant surprise. I should let myself carried away by my instincts more often.

What
Robin
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book reads like a bowl of popcorn. Fresh, light, hot and salty. Each very short chapter going down with a crunch, my hand already reaching greedily into the bowl for the next.

It's so very easy to read - but it contains complexity that satisfies. All at once it is mysterious, funny, disturbing. The current of feminism-gone-awry runs through it. Family ties that strangle.

Korede is the responsible sister. Ayoola is the serial killer. She's the perfect black widow, beautiful and charming. She
j e w e l s
FIVE STARS I LOVE THIS!!

“Femi makes three, you know. Three and they label you a serial killer.”

Ok, truth here--this is not a suspenseful thriller, despite the enticing title. It IS a novel about family dynamics, love between sisters and loyalty to the ones that matter in your life.

The minute I started this short, richly dark and funny book, I was HOOKED! It is elegant and lovely, all gorgeous words on a page.

Set in Nigeria, very up-to-the-minute contemporary, and oh so addictive! The story cen
Paromjit
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
An unusual, fabulous, short, but cracking read from Oyinkan Braithwaite, at the heart of which is the dysfunctional relationship between two sisters set in Nigeria. In this entertaining, satirical and fun story, Korede is the elder sister, living under the shadow of her beautiful, selfish, murdering psycho of a younger sister, Ayoola, with men who flock towards her, finding her just so unbelievably irresistible. Korede, as a nurse has the skills to clean up after her serial killer of a sister's ...more
JanB
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you appreciate dark humor with a side of social commentary this is the book for you!

The novel is set in the author’s birthplace of Nigeria, and follows two sisters, Ayoola and Korede. Ayoola is beautiful, irresponsible, and has a habit of killing off her boyfriends. Korede is the older, less attractive sister who literally cleans up the messes her sister makes and protects her at all costs.

Ayoola lacks self-awareness and goes about her life being adored and indulged due to her great beauty
Debbie
Hot diggety, dog diggety, oh what you do to me…

Oh what this book did to me!! Yes, I’m singing away as I bounce along on my pogo stick. This edgy little book is a favorite of the year and yes, it made my all-time-favorites list too!

Oh brother (I guess I should say, oh sister). What a fantastic read this is! Smart, dark, irresistible, and so well written! I honestly didn’t want to start my next book because I wanted to keep the taste of this sweet morsel in my mouth. No thank you, I don’t want to
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4 Strong Stars

I really enjoyed this story; but, most of all, I enjoyed the writing.

Many people probably believe that longer sentences and flowery prose is the sign of good writing. And sometimes it is; however, I am always more impressed by writers who can write concisely and without any fat. In many ways, it's actually harder to write with such brevity. To have each word and sentence be meaningful and without filler or bullshit. To have what is not there have even more impact than what is.

Bra
Anne
Well, I think you kind of have to be ok with somewhat rooting for the doormat sister of a serial killer, who (quite literally) cleans up her messes for her.
That? <--won't be for everyone.

Most serial killers that we know about are predominately white and male, which is one of the things that makes it easier for the stunningly lovely Ayoola to go about her business, happily stabbing away.

description

But her sister, Korede, knows. Or at the very least, she suspects that it is very unlikely her little sister is
Jen
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, africa
A breath of fresh air.
This was one clever, quirky, quick read. The story takes place in Nigeria - love African ones. The young beautiful spoiled sister has a passion for killing her boyfriends. The older sister is left cleaning up her mess and protecting her. Until the one man she loves loves the younger sister. And like every romance, it turns savage.

Such a delicious dark read. Not sure if it was just my copy but the last 10 pages were oddly upside down. This just made it all the more interesti
PorshaJo
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
How could you not be interested in this one? The title, the cover, the subject matter. I was sold immediately. I got the audio, rather quickly too from my library, and jumped right in.

Two sisters. One a nurse, one a psychopathic serial killer. Korede works hard as a nurse. She is very frustrated, to say the least, with her sister. Her sister, Ayoola, is beautiful, she stops men in their tracks. Though, she is quite aloof. Men practically throw themselves at her. But....she's crazy and kills them
Lucy Langford
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4**

"You're a big sister now, Korede. And big sisters look after little sisters."

Korede: nurse, responsible, plain, big sister.... and a meticulous cleaner.
Ayoola: flirtatious, beautiful, reckless, selfish, a manipulator of men.... and a serial killer.

Ayoola has killed before and each time, Korede has been there to clean it up. After the third kill, Korede wonders whether her sister did kill all these men in self-defense... but of course, she's the younger sister, of course it would be in self-d
Michelle
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
This book is a complete gem and I enjoyed every moment I spent with Korede and Ayoola!

Firstly, I have never read a book that took place in Africa...Lagos Nigeria to be precise and it made this book much more interesting for me.

Korede and Ayoola are sisters. Korede is the sensible one that makes her living as a nurse and also cleaning up after her sister Ayoola. Ayoola is flighty, addicted to social media, but mostly Ayoola is beautiful. No man can seem to resist her charm. Or, better yet, her
Jaidee
Jan 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star !

2019 Read I was Most Afraid to Hate Award

I found this mostly repulsive. In what kind of world is serial killing and psychopathy funny ?

A feminist satire...my arse !

The one star is for the very interesting cultural and social setting.
Dianne
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nifty debut novel for Braithwaite - and love that crazy book cover!

Korede and Ayoola are sisters in Lagos, Nigeria. Korede is the older sister; sensible, practical, plain. Ayoola is the younger sister; flighty, charming, spectacularly beautiful. Ayoola has an unfortunate habit of murdering her admirers and depends on Korede to help her conceal her crimes. Only Ayoola doesn’t think of them as crimes, because Ayoola is a narcissistic sociopath. When Ayoola sets her sights on Korede’s secret crush,
Holly  B
Campy, weird, and off-beat

I've struggled with how to review this oddly addictive book. I listened to the Audible version and the narrator was really enjoyable.  Her Nigerian accent added to the allure of the sister bond that was built into the plot and I loved how she pronounced their names, Korede and Ayoola.

It isn't so much about Ayoola's little problem of killing her boyfriends, but more about the relationship of the two sisters and how she dealt with her in many wild situations. Korede i
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maybe more of a 3.5 but I'm rounding up to a 4 because I really enjoyed this! It wasn't quite as thrilling as I expected it to be, but I think that has more to do with the marketing than with the book itself. This was really unlike anything else I've ever read and I cannot wait to hopefully read more from Braithwaite in the future.

• Queenie
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Normal People
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • The Vanishing Half
  • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
  • The Hunting Party
  • The Guest List
  • The Flatshare
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Lanny
OYINKAN BRAITHWAITE is a graduate of Creative Writing and Law from Kingston University. Following her degree, she worked as an assistant editor at Kachifo, a Nigerian publishing house, and has been freelancing as a writer and editor since. In 2014, she was shortlisted as a top-ten spoken-word artist in the Eko Poetry Slam, and in 2016 she was a finalist for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize. She ...more

Articles featuring this book

Let’s be honest: It’s a lot of pressure to pick your book club’s next read. But never fear, readers are here! We combed through our data t...
“The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder.” 70 likes
“It’s because she is beautiful, you know. That’s all it is. They don’t really care about the rest of it. She gets a pass at life.” 30 likes