Start by marking “The Guy's Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the First Year of Fatherhood” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  159 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In high school, Michael Crider was the jokester, the drummer in a band, the Howie Mandel impersonator. Fast-forward ten years and the funny man has married and become the family man. The Guy’s Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the First Year of Fatherhood—Crider’s candid, down-to-earth account of his transformation—proves that even without much sleep, he has ke ...more
Published May 11th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published May 10th 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The Guy's Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the First Year of Fatherhood

B.
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a light-hearted but authentic quick read appropriate as a "first foray" into the fatherhood concept, written by a comic. It provides one man's perspective in a very humorous way and, I suggest, does an excellent job "demystifying" much -- but nowhere close to all -- of the experiences that for many fathers to-be will be completely foreign. This isn't the "one book of fatherhood to rule them all" and it is not meant to be; so if you pick this tiny book up and expect to know everything the ...more
Gary McDowell
Apr 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-favorites
So awful. This guy gives no advice; he makes beer jokes and stupid observations geared toward cavemen, men with no clue, men with teeny brains. I'm insulted.

Anyone know of a book on this topic that doesn't insult my intelligence? I guess I'm interested more in reading about the first year of fatherhood than I am the pregnancy... I feel like I've got a good grasp on that these days.
Brian
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Expecting fathers
I bought this book the day after I found out that I am going to be a father. This book is hilarious! Crider describes how his life changed when his wife became pregnant with their son and incorporates a lot of advice to expecting fathers. His humor really makes this book enjoyable and comforting.

Did I get a lot of helpful information that I didn't know already? Perhaps not, but I think this is an excellent book for men who are freaking out about becoming a father, (no, I am not one of those fath
Lee
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Look, it's not a "How to" book, it's not a "Raising babies for Dummies" book. There's advice in this book, sure. Is it overwhelming like most other books? No.

Was it practical, realistic, and pragmatic? Yes. Was it entertaining, and did it hold my attention ? Yes.

I practically read half of this book out loud to my pregnant wife and she laughed alongside me.

It was the first of these type of books that I could pick up and read and feel some sense of solace that I'm not doing it wrong.

Worth the read
Jared Bercea
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I can't recommend this book. there are a few chapters here and there o found entertaining but over all this book is written by a narcissistic person who is trying to prove how funny he is the whole time. He has a couple one liners and moments, but this book is more about his thought process through his wife's pregnancy which starts with checking out the hot nurses at the doctors office and ends with him calling his wife a bitch for their son saying "mama" before "Dada." maybe you'll enjoy this b ...more
Matt
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it

Michael Crider uses humor and a healthy dose of self deprecation that had me entertained and even had me learning a little about becoming a father. He doesn't take himself too seriously, and his honesty and openness was truly reassuring that I could go through all of this.

While this book won't ever be mistaken for a reference item, it served its purpose well of keeping me interested throughout. It's a quick read, and I'm glad I read it.
Allison Severson
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm marking "read" but really, it was just Anthony who read it, not me.

I picked this book up from the library for Anthony, and he loved it. He laughed (out loud) a lot while reading. He said it was more of a memoir than educational, but he still enjoyed it. Funny and enjoyable writing... I'd get something else by Crider for him if he writes more.
Carrie
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: to be dads
Recommended to Carrie by: Borders
I gave this to Jay- some comic relief for to-be-dads. I read in an afternoon and laughed out loud (so did Jay.) It is the guys answer to "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy and a muct have companion to the medical textbook on pregnancy that sits by the bedside for 40 weeks.

Author: Michael Crider
Publisher: Da Capo
Copyright: 2005
Genre: Parenting
Pages: 188
Date Read- 1/27/08
Jason
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: When you're tired of expecting what you should expect about expecting
A refreshing read. In a time when most of the things I read about my coming child are filled with what to look out for and 'how to's', this really gives conversational advice about the experience of being the father of an expected child. Most likely more enjoyed while in the process, than not. Breathe Dads...this will help.
Barbara
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for the father to be who has no idea nor has experienced what his partner is going through. It is a funny and real story about the author and how at the end he realizes the joy of being a father to a beautiful baby.
Nick Greenaway Cirignano
Very funny. Crider gives short and humorous descriptions of a husbands tasks during pregnancy. A husband has little to do but sit, watch, and wait. Although he advocates peptic in and an epidural he makes other good points. As involved as the husband wants to be there is only so much he can do.
russell barnes
May 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fathers-to-be?
Hmmm, the advice on offer would seem to boil down to 'agree with everything your wife/partner says', as if that's not a default setting anyway. Not sure I quite agree with renowned literary critic Jenny McCarthy's review ('Absolutely Hysterical'), but it mildy diverting.
Tim Goyette
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a huge fan of this book, made it seem like no father wanted to bother with any baby stuff till he realized how awesome it was to have a kid. But it did have some funny parts and overall it want bad.
Steve
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2012
Hilarious view of pregnancy and early fatherhood. I appreciated his humor and honesty in describing the events from a male perspective. The scales tip more towards entertaining than informative overall, but that's okay. My only disappointment was the language strewn throughout the pages.
Leonardo Andreucci
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very funny for anyone living this moment, made me laugh out loud sometimes. Don't expect a lot of practical advice though, except for this amazing one: smile, nod and say OK to whatever she says. It works!
Nedjoyce
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
it was cute and lighthearted but didnt exactly teach me anything incredible or deeply meaningful. fun read. not much more.
Katie
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hilarious
Alex Aloise
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
So far it's much better than I would have expected.
Not sappy or cheesy at all.
Very easy read too.
Laurent
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
well, I laughed out loud a couple of times while learning about babies. such a quick read too that really, anyone can read this regardless of future/present plans.
Scott
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall good easy read that gives a guy's opinion of experiencing fatherhood in a light-hearted manner.
Elena
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
By far one of the funniest damn books I have ever read! Thank you Brian :)
Mostly because the author is exactly like my husband, wait my husband may be worse...
Lawrence
Aug 02, 2008 marked it as to-read
Can a brother help me out...?

Anyone own this?
Brian
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a hilarious look at fatherhood, from the terrifying moment when your wife cries "I'M PREGNANT" until the child is crawling. Very entertaining, and a little insightful.
Linsay
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a gift and my husband does not read, so I read it for him :-). It was funny to read a guys perspective on the whole pregnancy process.
Matt Garden
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
This was cute.
Neal
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Neal by: David Calvetti
Hilarious. Really funny and down to earth and a totally quick read. It opened my eyes to some of the fun and frightening things on the horizon.
TJ
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Funny and quick read. recommended for those nervous about pregnancy. Quite fun
Pauline
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Actually for the dad-to-be...but I enjoyed watching Brian read it as we were expecting Robby!
Kristin Little