Start by marking “Paper Girls, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Paper Girls, Vol. 5

Paper Girls, Vol. 5

(Paper Girls #5)

Can anyone escape fate? That’s what Mac and her fellow newspaper delivery girls must discover as they escape the year 2000 and travel to the distant future. Plus, the truth behind the mysterious “old-timers” is finally revealed.

Collects PAPER GIRLS #21-25
Published December 11th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Paper Girls, Vol. 5, please sign up.
Mitchell Kukulka I'd say no, though it might be the second-to-last volume, if anything.
Two reasons:
1.) Now that it's at issue #22, I can say that there are just too ma…more
I'd say no, though it might be the second-to-last volume, if anything.
Two reasons:
1.) Now that it's at issue #22, I can say that there are just too many plot threads still hanging in the air for everything to be wrapped up neatly in three issues.
2.) The deluxe hardcover collections for this series contain 10 issues each, so I think they going to go up to AT LEAST 30 issues, which would entail another volume after this one,(less)

Start your review of Paper Girls, Vol. 5
Dave Schaafsma
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“This day and age we’re living in
gives cause for apprehension
With speed and apprehension
And things like the Fourth Dimension.”

(As Time Goes by, verse unused in Casablanca, lyrics Herman Hupfield)

In this, the fifth volume, the girls are still in the future, there’s a war on, there’s old-timers. . . and the ultimate question here is about fate, and our potential to change the future. A mix of silliness and invention and devastating seriousness, in typical Vaughn/Chiang fashion, but we begin to see
Melki
This one gets five stars because it has not one, but TWO scary librarians.

Better pay those fines, kiddos. We won't be so understanding in the future.
Baba
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our five(!) heroines are actually now in the Grand Father's timeline!
So here's my overall update-recap... what's great about this series so far:
- 4 main characters are 12 year old paper girls
- extremely diverse throughout, and all of it with a strong feel of being authentic and genuine
-Brian K. Vaughan really captures the distinct tones and styles of language used across the historical and future constructed eras - as well as core cultural references
- very daringly well done plotting of a non-bi
Chad
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The series is rounding third and headed home, full bore. the Paper Girls are now in the future searching for a way home while trying to avoid the Time Cops (or whatever they are called here). Vaughan answers lots of our questions and things are falling into place. I'm excited to read the end of this. I feel like this series will benefit greatly from reading it all in one sitting. ...more
Dennis
2020 re-read:

So here we are. The point at which I realized that it's probably best to read these back to back. To be honest, I'm not sure it got much clearer this time around. In this volume you start to see how events in different timelines influenced (will influence?) each other. Therefore there are some moments when the narrative harks back to events of previous volumes. But showing them from a different perspective, or providing the reader with a clearer understanding for a particular situat
Jenny Baker
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
I wasn't expecting that ending at all! This series just keeps getting better and I can't wait to see how this story continues. ...more
Donovan
More time travel chaos and hilarious teenage badasses. Plus some answers and brief romance. To be continued...in utter temporal chaos!
Olivia-Savannah
Jul 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I have been able to enjoy the books more since we have been able to know what is going on due to the previous volume. It’s so nice to have answers and for the events of the book to make sense. I liked following the plot. I liked the theme of fate and letting be what will be. I was not convinced by how quickly a certain character did a turnaround but okay *shrugs*
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
More time travel weirdness with the paper girls. This continues to be a great series. In this, the fifth volume, some things are starting to become clearer, but by no means clear.
Eliza
Not as good as the previous 4 volumes, but still entertaining nonetheless!
Steph
the future is so weird and cool and scary!! but i guess that's true of every point in time.

with this volume it really struck me that each girl is amazingly strong in her own way. and all are clever, caring, and unwaveringly brave.

so many time travel mindfucks going on here. (view spoiler)
Tyler  Bell
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars

This series has proven to be pretty consistent throughout each volume

Not going to lie, this one was pretty confusing. Maybe because I haven't picked up this series in way over a month. But, that being said, it was actually REALLY fun, despite my confusion. I have a feeling that the next volume, the last one, will bring everything full circle and it'll all make sense.

Erin really shone in this volume. She's putting pieces of the puzzle together and has really become a great character
E.
Finally some fucking answers , babes!!

Also, that was one hell of an ending. Boy, those girls do not get a break...

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Auntie Terror
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
3.5 stars. Sadly, this installment was a little less amazing than the others before, and a lot more confusing. Still good enough to make me want to read on, especially as the end is one fantastically teasy cliff hanger.
Ona
Aug 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Super ready for the final volume.
Rod Brown
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The penultimate volume really got my pulse racing. Love the library shout-outs. I'm so pumped I'm thinking I may reread this series from the start before the final volume (or maybe right after). Hope they stick the landing. ...more
Devann
I feel like this is one of those series where it's going to be very good in hindsight once it's finished, but as you are reading it the first time it's just like ...what??? Also I still think it's just the height of laziness that they are 'changing the time stream around them' or whatever and that's why future them don't remember any of this happening. It was nice to get a few more answers though and KJ and whatsherface are getting to be pretty adorable, but I'm just one of those people who like ...more
Drew's ambitious reading
5) Paper girls vol. 5 4/5 stars
6) Paper girls vol. 6 ? Stars

Omg! That ending was so funny! Can't wait for the next one. Hopefully soon!(:
Kate (GirlReading)
I have no idea why I let myself go so long without continuing this series, it’s so much fun?! I can’t wait to see where this wild, slightly confusing but highly entertaining story takes this fabulous group of girls in the next volume.

TW: homophobia
Carrie
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh snap...that ending..
Josh
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I still like this. I mean, I can't say I understand it any more than I have in the past, but it feels like it's still good. Things are certainly still interesting. The art is cool. And I get the sense that the story is on its way to wrapping up at this point, so I'm curious to see where that goes. ...more
Karl
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fabulous ! I can’t believe this series is apparently ending with Volume 6. There are so many loose ends. I’ll try not to spoil this but the romance was a pleasant surprise and the demise of a character was heroic. Love and death and the bountiful heart and soul of this great team of girls. I’m saving my 5 star rating for the finale ! Don’t let me down Vaughan.
britt_brooke
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As our girls keep getting slung through time, some questions are answered, yet more are posed. I’m still pretty confused, to be honest, but this is such an enjoyable series. The art and coloring are just so gorgeous! I can’t wait to see where volume 6 takes us.
Stuart
Paper Girls (Vol 5): Story gaining momentum and richness
This is the fifth volume of Brian K. Vaughan’s PAPER GIRLS, and the larger story is really starting to take shape. The early volumes were quite elliptical and disorienting, so it’s great to be able to understand the various storylines and the larger world-building that is revealed, and get to know and like the four main protagonists even more as they are thrown into a series of tense adventures across time.

Finally we get to delve into the f
Mindi
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow...
Philip
3.75ish stars.

Honestly still hard to keep track of everything, but I love characters and like the art. I’ve really enjoyed the series but am glad the next volume is the end, cuz it’s already a little too twisty.
Fox
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh man.

This volume takes everything a step further. More answers, and more questions generated. More death and devastation. Can fates be changed? Can you truly live and and remain all right if you know when, how, and where you die? Or even see yourself die? How much can life be changed? Moreover, should it?

Pieces of previous volumes are being filled in, and consequences are numerous. We learn that 'evil clone' is horrifically bigoted slang that we shouldn't use, and that certain figures really s
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Once again, I'm playing catch-up and desperately trying to remember what happened last volume(s). Where is this going? Where were we? Is there a philosophy to this time travel or does Vaughan throw up whatever sounds good at the moment?

And then by the end, I've gotten so sucked into the story, I'm like, "Does it matter?"
Robert
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It feels like a penultimate volume. If there is more than one more, they're stretching it. ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
This series is so addicting and it was so easy to speed through this installment. I'm not ready for this to end in the next volume. ...more
2021 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Paper Girls, Vol 5 8 22 Jun 25, 2019 08:24AM

• The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay
  • Sex Criminals: Volume Five: Five-Fingered Discount
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 4: The Pentoculus
  • Sex Criminals, Vol. 6: Six Criminals
See top shelves…
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Paper Girls (6 books)