Start by marking “Paper Girls, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Paper Girls, Vol. 5

Paper Girls, Vol. 5

(Paper Girls #5)

Can anyone escape fate? That’s what Mac and her fellow newspaper delivery girls must discover as they escape the year 2000 and travel to the distant future. Plus, the truth behind the mysterious “old-timers” is finally revealed.

Collects PAPER GIRLS #21-25
Published December 11th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Paper Girls, Vol. 5, please sign up.
Mitchell Kukulka I'd say no, though it might be the second-to-last volume, if anything.
Two reasons:
1.) Now that it's at issue #22, I can say that there are just too ma…more
I'd say no, though it might be the second-to-last volume, if anything.
Two reasons:
1.) Now that it's at issue #22, I can say that there are just too many plot threads still hanging in the air for everything to be wrapped up neatly in three issues.
2.) The deluxe hardcover collections for this series contain 10 issues each, so I think they going to go up to AT LEAST 30 issues, which would entail another volume after this one,(less)

Start your review of Paper Girls, Vol. 5
David Schaafsma
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“This day and age we’re living in
gives cause for apprehension
With speed and apprehension
And things like the Fourth Dimension.”

(As Time Goes by, verse unused in Casablanca, lyrics Herman Hupfield)

In this, the fifth volume, the girls are still in the future, there’s a war on, there’s old-timers. . . and the ultimate question here is about fate, and our potential to change the future. A mix of silliness and invention and devastating seriousness, in typical Vaughn/Chiang fashion, but we begin to see
Melki
This one gets five stars because it has not one, but TWO scary librarians.

Better pay those fines, kiddos. We won't be so understanding in the future.
Dennis
2020 re-read:

So here we are. The point at which I realized that it's probably best to read these back to back. To be honest, I'm not sure it got much clearer this time around. In this volume you start to see how events in different timelines influenced (will influence?) each other. Therefore there are some moments when the narrative harks back to events of previous volumes. But showing them from a different perspective, or providing the reader with a clearer understanding for a particular situat
Chad
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The series is rounding third and headed home, full bore. the Paper Girls are now in the future searching for a way home while trying to avoid the Time Cops (or whatever they are called here). Vaughan answers lots of our questions and things are falling into place. I'm excited to read the end of this. I feel like this series will benefit greatly from reading it all in one sitting.
Jenny Baker
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting that ending at all! This series just keeps getting better and I can't wait to see how this story continues.
Donovan
More time travel chaos and hilarious teenage badasses. Plus some answers and brief romance. To be continued...in utter temporal chaos!
K. Elizabeth
Not as good as the previous 4 volumes, but still entertaining nonetheless!
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
More time travel weirdness with the paper girls. This continues to be a great series. In this, the fifth volume, some things are starting to become clearer, but by no means clear.
E.
Finally some fucking answers , babes!!

Also, that was one hell of an ending. Boy, those girls do not get a break...

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Auntie Terror
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
3.5 stars. Sadly, this installment was a little less amazing than the others before, and a lot more confusing. Still good enough to make me want to read on, especially as the end is one fantastically teasy cliff hanger.
Rod Brown
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The penultimate volume really got my pulse racing. Love the library shout-outs. I'm so pumped I'm thinking I may reread this series from the start before the final volume (or maybe right after). Hope they stick the landing.
Chanelle
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! this is THE BEST volume of this series that i’ve read so far!!! I love how Mac’s character is developing and even though she can be such a mess she’s learning more and more about her actions and her place in the group and the respect and care she should have for others, and one person in particular *wink wink*. She’s literally my favorite now and I’m so glad about it!! Both her and Erin are THE MAINS.

This volume SENT ME TO PLACES!!! Literally. Especially the ending I
Devann
I feel like this is one of those series where it's going to be very good in hindsight once it's finished, but as you are reading it the first time it's just like ...what??? Also I still think it's just the height of laziness that they are 'changing the time stream around them' or whatever and that's why future them don't remember any of this happening. It was nice to get a few more answers though and KJ and whatsherface are getting to be pretty adorable, but I'm just one of those people who like ...more
Drewthereader20
6) Paper girls vol. 6 ? Stars

Omg! That ending was so funny! Can't wait for the next one. Hopefully soon!(:
Josh
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I still like this. I mean, I can't say I understand it any more than I have in the past, but it feels like it's still good. Things are certainly still interesting. The art is cool. And I get the sense that the story is on its way to wrapping up at this point, so I'm curious to see where that goes.
Karl
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fabulous ! I can’t believe this series is apparently ending with Volume 6. There are so many loose ends. I’ll try not to spoil this but the romance was a pleasant surprise and the demise of a character was heroic. Love and death and the bountiful heart and soul of this great team of girls. I’m saving my 5 star rating for the finale ! Don’t let me down Vaughan.
britt_brooke
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As our girls keep getting slung through time, some questions are answered, yet more are posed. I’m still pretty confused, to be honest, but this is such an enjoyable series. The art and coloring are just so gorgeous! I can’t wait to see where volume 6 takes us.
Stuart
Paper Girls (Vol 5): Story gaining momentum and richness
This is the fifth volume of Brian K. Vaughan’s PAPER GIRLS, and the larger story is really starting to take shape. The early volumes were quite elliptical and disorienting, so it’s great to be able to understand the various storylines and the larger world-building that is revealed, and get to know and like the four main protagonists even more as they are thrown into a series of tense adventures across time.

Finally we get to delve into the f
Philip
3.75ish stars.

Honestly still hard to keep track of everything, but I love characters and like the art. I’ve really enjoyed the series but am glad the next volume is the end, cuz it’s already a little too twisty.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Once again, I'm playing catch-up and desperately trying to remember what happened last volume(s). Where is this going? Where were we? Is there a philosophy to this time travel or does Vaughan throw up whatever sounds good at the moment?

And then by the end, I've gotten so sucked into the story, I'm like, "Does it matter?"
Robert
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It feels like a penultimate volume. If there is more than one more, they're stretching it.
Lauren Stoolfire
This series is so addicting and it was so easy to speed through this installment. I'm not ready for this to end in the next volume.
Brendan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels

The time element is growing weirder by the volume and I can't put this series down. Obviously this is super excited statement as holding a book all day would be insane and annoying, but who's complaining. Everything you have loved about the Paper Girls series is right here and if you're seeing this for the first time, trust me it's worth checking out. The mythology started unfolding at volume 3 and here it is starting to twist and turn.

Why the 5?

Still early days for the Brian K. Vaughan series
Melissa
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Another mind-bendy time-twisty ride with the Paper Girls!
Mandy K
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This penultimate volume is packed with revelations. This time around the girls end up in the future, and they meet up with some familiar faces. Like all the previous volumes, this ends on a cliff hanger, but the 6th and final volume doesn't come out until October.
Fox
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh man.

This volume takes everything a step further. More answers, and more questions generated. More death and devastation. Can fates be changed? Can you truly live and and remain all right if you know when, how, and where you die? Or even see yourself die? How much can life be changed? Moreover, should it?

Pieces of previous volumes are being filled in, and consequences are numerous. We learn that 'evil clone' is horrifically bigoted slang that we shouldn't use, and that certain figures really s
Ashley
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Before I started this, I was thinking "gee, I don't remember what happened in past issues." Normally when that happens, I'll back up and reread the most recent. But because I never know what's happening in this series, I just jumped right in. And remembering what happened wouldn't have helped with this volume. WHAT IS GOING ON?

The most confusing part was this:

HOW CAN CAN ANYONE OUTGROW THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB?!?!?!
Shannon Appelcline
This time around we're in the future. We get a delightful amount of timey-wimeyness, some secrets on who a few of these future weirdos are, and lots of great characters. This continues to be a super decompressed story that probably won't make total sense until you read the whole thing together, but this is nonetheless one of the better volumes.
Izza
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, graphicnovels, lgbtq
5 stars | That ending o.o
Lu
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things are finally starting to make sense
2020 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Paper Girls, Vol 5 14 22 Jun 25, 2019 08:24AM

• The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay (the wicked + the divine #9)
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 7: Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 1: The Black Barn
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins
  • East of West, Vol. 9
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part II (The Wicked + The Divine #6)
  • LaGuardia
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Paper Girls (6 books)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 1 (Paper Girls, #1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 2