Start by marking “Death or Glory, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Death or Glory, Vol. 1

Death or Glory, Vol. 1

(Death or Glory #1-5)

Meet Glory, raised off the grid in a convoy of truckers, the last men and women fighting for true freedom on the American open road. Now, in order to pay for her beloved, dying Father's surgery, Glory has three days to pull off four dangerous cross-country heists with mob killers, crooked cops, and a psycho ex-husband all out to bring her in or die trying.

New York Times be
Published October 23rd 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Death or Glory, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death or Glory, Vol. 1

Sam Quixote
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Glory’s pa needs a liver transplant. Luckily her ex is in deep with the mob and she knows about a cash drop she can heist - but things don’t go quite so peachy. I know, shocking right - who knew ripping off gangsters would land you into a whole world of hurt??

Rick Remender just isn’t a very good writer and his latest, Death or Glory, Volume 1: She’s Got You, is another sloppily-constructed story.

None of the characters were interesting. Glory is the archetypical Strong Female Protagonist, which
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image, comics
A solid Remender book with some great art. Its action packed with an eclectic cast of villainy which made for an enjoyable read! The ending definitely made me excited for volume 2 so this will be staying on my monthly pull list.
James DeSantis
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dang been awhile since I didn't love a Rick Remender book.

So this is about a Glory, who kind of just had enough of her life. Freedoms are being stripped from her and she decides to take control of her life. She can't save her father because she doesn't have the money and healthcare is a joke (Wow, this is pretty close to the truth now haha) And so she needs to rob and steal. So begins the mission but she isn't a trained robber and of course everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Good: The
Donovan
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Glitzy artwork like bottomless margaritas, dizzying action moves the plot, and characters that are surprisingly more than paper dolls. Subsequent arcs might frost this adrenaline cake.
Roy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*. Remender is one of my fave writers. The story here just doesn't seem to be at the same level as his other Image series. The story seems a little simple in narrative, the dying father and villains are a little cliched and he doesnt seem to touch on any political/social issues which is normally his strong suit. The artwork is awesome and detailed. Especially the car scenes. Not the best I've read from Remender but its still an enjoyable fast paced action thriller.
Rory Wilding
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Having written for Image Comics since 2005, Rick Remender has produced so many titles and at this point, he has five comic books that are currently ongoing. In between these titles, Remender wrote the excellent sci-fi Tokyo Ghost, which finished after ten issues, so whether or not he has a long plan for his latest comic Death or Glory, does it stay on the road or go off the grid?

Please click here for my full review.
Valéria.
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I thought that after Black Science and Seven to Eternity I'll be disappointed with this one based on the friends' reviews I was reading. But actually, this was a solid story I enjoyed really much. Twists in the plot were kind of predictable, but I still liked it. It's fast-moving with great artwork and I can not wait to read the second volume.
Carolyn
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, graphic
Whoa that was a wild ride.

Adult, definitely not for kids or my classroom library.
Jamie Connolly
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Hmmm. I’m not really sure how I feel about this book. Nor can I think of what to say about it. It’s definitely a rick remender book so if you like his stuff then you will like this. 4 stars I guess.
Ivy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
This is my first graphic novel so maybe I’m just not used to the style yet but not enough character exposition for me. I had no time to relate to Glory or care about Red dying before the adventure takes off. That said, I will be reading the next volume. 🤷🏻♀ ...more
Kenny
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Guts and Glory on tenterhooks
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Isn't the type of story I usually read but I enjoyed it.
Paul Allard
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Young heroine takes on drug lord to save her father – action-packed series

Glory has lived off the grid with her father and now is trying to help her dying father. This involves confrontations with local drug dealers and gangsters, resulting in a second-half which is action-packed. Violence and high-speed pursuits appear alongside local corruption and unwelcome attention. The plot is fast-moving and the artwork is clear and nicely coloured on the whole. Recommended so far with a second volume to
Donna
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sierra
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
So, rarely do I not like comics. I like to believe I can find something good about every one I read but sometimes it is difficult to. This one wasn't bad. The art is pretty good, it has some great colors and some get action scenes. I really like Rick Remender, Im not afraid to pick up something new from him because I know it'll be good. And again, the book is good.
BUT there was something about it that didnt satisfy me. Im not sure if its because you dont get to see much of Glory's real personal
Kazima
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, that was a surprise and a lesson in not judging a book by its cover! I didn't think I was going to particularly like this. I thought it was going to be about cars and racing, and that the glory of the title referred to the glory of winning or something. I was wrong and I'm glad.

"We've all been stuck in something we couldn't get out of. Riddled with anxiety and dreams of packing it all up, unplugging from the game, and heading off into the unknown horizon. This is a story about someone who
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for an action packed comic with a little wholesome twist then this is the comic for you. Following Glory Owen, a girl raised off the grid by truckers, or one specific trucker, it begins with a seemingly unrelated scene. A man in a restaurant orders an obscene amount of burgers, the workers get upset, he kills them with liquid nitrogen. That's an interesting start, right?

Check out my full review here!

Shannon
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, image
Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Total review score: 2.1
The Stumps
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-books
It was a pretty good story.
Aaron
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-western
Glory Owen isn't one for trouble. Not often. But when she is, she certainly goes after it whole hog.

Life sucks. No doubting that. And so, when the people one cares about seem ready to hit the end of the road, it takes all of Glory's luck and fortitude to push back.

Taking life as it comes and succumbing to the compulsions of a culture of consumption is the easy way out. Fighting back? Going one's own way? Trying to steal another dime, another kiss, another day, from the world that would rather
Dakota Morgan
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Death or Glory is Rick Remender near the peak of his crazy powers - it's intensely fast-paced and never uninteresting, but it's also so nutso-bonkers and over the top that your suspension of disbelief might become overwhelmed. At its core, it's the simple story of an impoverished girl, Glory, turning to crime to get enough money to buy her father a liver. Simple, right? Not so simple in Remender's hands - Glory was raised off the grid in a trucker convoy community and she just happens to steal f ...more
Theediscerning
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A decent crime drama here, as Rick Remender gives us a strong female with a cause – and a lot more morals than some of her ilk. Our heroine thinks she can just get away with a heist or two to pay for her father's life-saving operation, and seeing as her ex is total scum it's fairly easy to just tag along and know where the bad bucks ripe for being snatched are. The problem – for her and the book – is that it actually leads to something much darker, and implausible. The very first issue has someo ...more
Daniel
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 First Remender book in years that I can't rate at least as solid "good". I understand what he was going for: a solid action romp in the style of 70s grindhouse exploitation flicks while romanticizing the off-the-grid trucker pathos of the same era. A solid basis for a potentially great story, but unfortunately neither the main character nor the conflict is particularly captivating. I feel there is a certain discrepancy between the tone Remender is going for and Bengal's style on the charac ...more
Sesana
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Just didn't resonate with me. The art is great, but I think the biggest issue I had with this book is that there's no time devoted to getting to know Glory or her father before she goes off on her grand quest to save him. She literally doesn't interact with him once in the present day in this entire volume. So it's a gritty story that's meant to have an emotional hook, but doesn't ever bother to actually make that emotional hook truly emotional.
Amber
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix
This is the female mechanic open road heist story with subtle commentary on the broken American health care system that you've always wanted. Bengal's art fits the screaming RPM pace of Rick Remender's writing to a T. Glory is engaging as a reluctant outlaw and the wild cast of supporting characters (some of whom have some novel BDSM practices) supports the romping action. Glorious.
Marek Michalak
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The art is really nice and the pace is really fast. The story is ok,but seems like a rehash of a lot of used and old ideas. In my opinion, not one of Remender's best stories, but still really enjoyable.
David Pain
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. The story is unwrapped skillfully, the art is good. Somewhat of a manga style. Some cool twists in the plot. I cared about the characters. The baddies were pretty nasty. Looking forward to volume 2.
Patrick
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great art for a by the numbers crime and heist comic. Accept that and it’s a fun story with little depth.
James
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
People can do some really nasty things. It's sometimes good to get away from it all. I do like the sisters.
Sebastian Song
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A haunting tale of the battle between the darkness and goodness of man and woman. Can't wait for the second story arc. Well done, Mr Remender
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

Death or Glory (6 books)