Start by marking “Son of Hitler” as Want to Read:
Son of Hitler

Son of Hitler

What if Adolf Hitler had a secret son no one knew about?

In the darkest days of World War II a female British spy handler discovers a rumor: that when Adolf Hitler was stationed in France during the First World War he fathered a child. Armed with stolen Nazi files, she secretly tracks down this son to recruit him for a mission to meet his biological father - and assassinate
Published June 26th 2018 by Image Comics (first published June 20th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Son of Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of Hitler

Start your review of Son of Hitler
Donovan
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It doesn’t change history but it does satisfy the Jewish blood. A surprising blend of über violent revenge fantasy, intimate biography, and historical fiction. The illustrations are great, sketchy realism.
Jon Nakapalau
I had mixed feelings when I picked this book up - 'Nazifiction' is often poorly written and misses key ideological issues. This book was a taunt drama aside from the historical association with events during WW II and did resonate several buried issues that were examined in a very intelligent way.
Kim Friant
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
To be fair, I’m not a big fan of graphic novels, and that’s really the only reason I’m giving this book 4 stars. The story and the artwork are excellent. Thankfully this “alternate history” falls closely in line with fact and not on its own ridiculous timeline. The characters are emotional and I found myself hoping that history did indeed have a different outcome. I really enjoyed this book and I wish it was available in novel form. I guarantee it would be 5 stars!
Erin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun ride, with a non-romantic leading woman at the center. Well done.
Billie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
In reality, 3.5 stars because the plot got a little eye-roll-y for my tastes at the end.
Michael J.
Anthony Del Col takes the urban WWII myth of Hitler's son as his template and spins a well-researched yarn of historical fiction with plenty of suspense and emotion.
The back history of the alleged son of Hitler is woven throughout the story so that the reader comes to understand how things came to this point, what influenced young Pierre during his formative years, and how he handles frustration, anger and mistreatment with brutal, violent snap decisions. The reader comes to empathize with the y
Theediscerning
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book as good as it sounds. Pierre the lowly baker's assistant with a vicious streak is told that British wartime intelligence – well, one operative working for it at least – suggests he's little old Adolf's kid. Who better to rock up to him and dispose of him? Of course such a plan can't go so easily, not when the kid has his temperament, and not where Nazis are involved, either. I think I liked the limited-palette monochrome images, although I can't say I fell in love with the look. I certain ...more
J Earl
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Son of Hitler is a very good spy story and a wonderfully drawn graphic novel. It is a World War II story with contemporary ramifications, which I truly enjoyed.

I was caught up fairly quickly in the espionage thanks in large part to compelling characters. They were as believable as one can expect from an espionage story that is partly alternate history.

The artwork was ideal for the story, subdued without being simply black line drawings, with subtle changes to accompany a mood or some action.

The
El Neo
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting alternative history.
Dakota Morgan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Beyond the eye-catching title and cover art, Son of Hitler is basically Inglourious Basterds without the wisecracking fun. Cora Brown, British spy, thinks she's uncovered Hitler's son and plots to use him to kill Hitler. It's an engaging idea, but the actual character of Hitler's son, Pierre, is bland and never really wrestles with the idea that he's the son of a mass murderer besides being really, really angry. Like, the kid basically Hulks out several times. It's fun in that Inglourious Baster ...more
J.C.
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other
Now this is a great spy story. Great art as well.
Kate
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 *
Yes, the topic of Allied nations at the end of the war and the struggles of the resistance was never going to be a happy tale, but this felt like it was trying to hard to be 'shocking'.
None of the characters are easy to empathise with (spoiler alert... they're all arseholes) and at times the narrative is a rambling mess, especially in the final act.
On the subject of that final act, my arc was unfinished, with the last section just consisting of rough sketches with the finished speech. Obvio
Alex Sarll
What if Adolf had left a by-blow, who ended up raised by a French prostitute and working in a bakery? Well, what if he had? The kid doesn't seem terribly keen to continue the family trade - indeed, he's in the Resistance. Granted, he has almost superhuman combat abilities, just like his dad didn't, but I didn't think this was meant to be a superhero story. It's all rendered in an art style where everyone's faces go weird whenever strong emotion intrudes, which could be an homage to 'degenerate' ...more
Dean Davidson
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This graphic novel isn't going to change your life. It's entertaining and you can crank through it in its' entirety in under an hour but there just isn't a lot of depth or originality here. While reading it, I got the sense they were trying too hard to make a statement (political, art-wise, etc.) and ultimately failed to create a good novel, leaving readers with what feels like a half-finished final product.

Cliches abound, and a few lines that correlated to current politics actually made me rol
Marcia Miller
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Meh...

Inglourious Basterds did a much better job of presenting the dangers of Nazi resistance that also included humor, pathos, some degree of believability, and ample human feelings. This book fell flat. The writing was over-simplified, story fuzzy to follow, drawings only okay.

Since this is not a genre I'm widely familiar with, perhaps I just don't appreciate telling a story in this manner. But then, I've read other graphic novels that were as compelling as great literature of any kind. This
M.K. Lansbury
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great story! Though the title may have the reader believe it's a tale of Hitler's illegitimate son, it's really about his spy handler, the obsessed-with-finding-Hitler Cora Brown. She's almost like the origin story of Judi Dench's 'M' character from the Bond films and really drives this plot.

And what a twist at the end! Made me think about some of the forces today controlling the rise of populism.

One of my first graphic novels - and what an intro to the genre!
Duane Maddy
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Just another boorish, poorly drawn politically motivated book that's supposed to surprise you with its witty, current take on history. It's the reason graphic novels are in a state of disrepair. Utter garbage that I should have passed on and never wasted my time with. The dialogue was elementary, at best. The penciling was unspeakably weak. Of the books I've read this year, this was among the two-or-three worst.
Jason
[review based on b&w preview copy]
I was gauging it to be about 3 stars until the end, when a plot point was introduced that I hadn't even considered and turned what would have been a routine postscript into an exciting bonus adventure. It's a bit pulpy, yes, but not inappropriately so. The art is consistently good and serves the story well. Curious what it will look like in full color...
Tri Le
Violent and fun alternate history graphic novel about Adolf Hitler's secret son. I found the artwork fitting and appropriate. The compelling story was enjoyable and I liked the characters (amongst them, violent Pierre and his British handler Cora). It's not deep, but it's a good time.
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2018.
Tom De
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very nice GN. Reads as a spionage thriller in WW2. What if....this was in the the top 10 2018 of best GN of the year?
Alex
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
With a sketched-out art style and a monochromatic color scheme, this violent revenge fantasy is a fantastic addition to anybody’s library.
Thymie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have been wanting to read alternate history graphic novels and this one did not disappoint!
Kelly Sedinger
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good graphic novel whose conceit is quite simple: What if Adolf Hitler had sired a child during World War I, a child who might have been able to get close enough to Hitler to assassinate him?

The story told here is full of twists that delighted me as a onetime reader of a lot of espionage fiction (I need to rediscover that genre!), which I will not spoil here. Suffice it to say that the story does not end up where I expected, in any way. But it is engagingly told, paced very well (us
GreenScreenGrin
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I read an ARC copy of this book, so I’m not sure what the final look of the art will be, but it wasn’t my favorite style. I felt like it got a little muddy at times. The story was a different take to the thousands of WWII stories already out there, so I give it a thumbs up on that front. Toward the end of the book, I sighed a few times because of the plot twists, but overall, it was a good reading experience. I am giving it three stars simply because it was an okay story, and I do not see myself ...more
Alican Kunt
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very interesting concept told by excellent storytelling. It's easy to finish this great read at one sitting. I loved the plot twists, double crosses and the pure emotion in this book.
Unfortunately the underwhelming artwork doesn't do justice to the story. I understand it was intentionally done in a sketch-like way but it's just poorly executed- missing the proportions, facial features etc.
It's a shame, with a good artwork this book easily could have been lifted up to an Alan Moore level grap
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ever wonder what it would be like if Hitler had a secret son who didn't know about him? Well this book completely satisfies that interest. Pierre is a young man who has had  a rough childhood due to his single mother and bullies at school. He's always had a short temper, and has worked hard to control it. That is, until he's actually allowed to act on it. This is a book of revenge.

Check out my full review here!

Nefertari
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Picked up an ARC of this at PLA at a charging station during lunch, and was immediately intrigued. I’d heard the rumors in “Children of Monsters,” a book that explores the lives of the sons and daughters of dictators. It’s creepy, but I was intrigued by the concept. Perhaps a little neatly tied up at the end, but a fascinating story that plays on the “what-ifs” and shadowy spy-filled corners of history.
Paul Allard
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it

WW2 and aftermath story about the title character - quite good

This wartime tale deals with a child born to Hitler and a French prostitute, Pierre, and a plot to use him to kill the Fuhrer. There’s plenty of death, betrayal and revelations to keep the reader engaged. It’s quite well told with monochromatic simple artwork. The characters are reasonably well-developed and the comic collection should please war buffs amongst the comic readership.
Popzara Press
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
"A dull, humorless spy thriller about killing Hitler that’s low on actual spying and thrills."

Read full review at Popzara Press.

• Pulp
  • Grass Kings, Vol. 1
  • Berlin
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952
  • Redneck, Vol. 1: Deep in the Heart
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 1
  • Redneck, Vol. 2: The Eyes Upon You
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 13: Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Cloud Hotel
  • I Hate Fairyland: Book One
  • Eat, and Love Yourself
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 2: Strange Neapolitan
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
  • The Last Days of American Crime
  • Outer Darkness, Vol. 1: Each Other's Throats
  • Giant Days, Vol. 13 (Giant Days, #13)
  • Manifest Destiny, Vol. 7: Talpa Lumbricus & Lepus
Anthony Del Col is the co-creator and co-writer of the acclaimed IDW Publishing series KILL SHAKESPEARE, which has been nominated for Harvey and Joe Shuster Awards. The series has also been adapted into a stage show, board game and is currently in development for television with Universal Cable Productions. He is also the writer or co-writer of ASSASSIN'S CREED, ASSASSIN'S CREED: ORIGINS (Titan) a ...more

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...