Start by marking “Rise To Me (Psychic Surveys, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise To Me (Psychic Surveys, #2)

Rise To Me

(Psychic Surveys #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  489 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
“This isn’t a ghost we’re dealing with. If only it were that simple…”

Eighteen years ago, when psychic Ruby Davis was a child, her mother – also a psychic – suffered a nervous breakdown. Ruby was never told why. “It won’t help you to know,” the only answer ever given. Fast forward to the present and Ruby is earning a living from her gift, running a high street consultancy
Published (first published March 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Rise To Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise To Me

May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

This was much creepier than the first book, much, much creepier! It was darker too and instead of sleeping (which I should've been doing at 2am) I continued on with this because I had to see how it would end.

The characters are drawn out even more and you get to know more of their back stories especially that of Ruby and Jessica, you find out what happened all those years ago and you hope that everything will be ok in the end, that they'll face their 'demons' and be able to move forward.

It
Andrew “The Weirdling”
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, horror
I’m not totally sure where this novel lost me. To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure the problem lies with the author. I feel like this installment in the popular Psychic Surveys series was unfocused and meandering.

A large part of the book was preoccupied with the relationships between Ruby, her family, and the other members of her team. For what it’s worth, that’s an interesting dimension of the meta narrative that’s worthy to explore. What bugged me is that it seemed like the cases they work o
Terry  (TBC)
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was spooky and atmospheric. Dark things and inner evil. Is it a real thing? This made me think of the substance of people and how we can be a conduit to and for other things.
Loved the Lasher link. Brilliant books too! Some humour too. Lightened but then boom back into the dark.
The narrator was good, a nice calm voice that got the eerie across and the horror. Extremely good
Bev Smart Pettiford
Brilliant story, unputdownable for me ...
Della Rainey
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when a book hooks you and doesn’t let you go. This story was brilliant. I didn’t want to do anything else but read it and became frustrated when daily life got in the way.
Shani Struthers is one of my favourite authors now. Her characters and plot are intriguing and intense. It was totally absorbing as well as terrifying at times. I would absolutely recommend anyone to read Shani Struthers Psychic Surveys investigations.
Hanna-Anneli Belt
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Riveting Paranormal Horror Mystery

Riveting and interesting paranormal and psychological tale with an element of horror mixed into it. There are also heartwarming and loyal friendship and romance. It's very fascinating to get a glimpse into the professional life and work as well as challenges and rewards of psychic and paranormal surveys and investigations. This book is a degree darker than the previous book in this series. But well worth it. Heartily recommended.
John Bowen
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read The Haunting of Highdown Hall, you'll have maybe noted a couple of trailing threads once that tale was told; in 'Rise to Me' Struthers pulls at them and something deliciously dark begins to unravel.

Tone was one of the things I appreciated about HH, if anything Rise works even better in this respect. Darker from the get go, we're primed for a journey from spiritualism into the occult; it's a cracking journey too, full of foreboding, twists and turns and Ruby's and her family's past, t
Mark Tilbury
Following on from The Haunting of Highdown Hall, this book finds business improving for psychic Ruby Davis. She also begins to be affected by events in her past and she quickly realises she'll need the help of her team of psychics to overcome the darkness in front of her.

Shani Struthers has done a great job with this book. The characters all work brilliantly together and you get to know them all more as the plot moves along. I liked how Ruby's childhood and her relationship with her mother were
Jaye Marie
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The opening prologue of this stunningly unusual second book in the series, instantly grabs you by the throat. We meet Ruby, a young psychic child, one already well used to communicating with spirits, finding herself confronted with one who is not human or ever was.

Fast-forward 18 years and Ruby now runs a successful domestic spiritual clearance business, called Psychic Surveys, using psychic detection to solve old crimes.
In the course of her job, she encounters an angry ghost and tries to help i
Seumas Gallacher
...loved this...

...Rise To Me is the first ever read for me in the paranormal genre...and I was rewarded with a terrific narrative... Shani Struthers has brought clever characterisations to her ‘living’ players, but even more so to the ‘other beings' wrapped so well into the story... my pre-formed notion of how this kind of genre plays out were kicked into touch within a couple of chapters, and I was hooked... tension there certainly is, but well-timed counterpoint passages introduce some splend
Mistress  #darklings
Rise to me is the second book in the psychic surveys series. In the first book we met Ruby and her team that make up psychic surveys. There were teasers in there that come to light in this one. It focuses on Ruby and her family, in particular her mother Jessica, whom we know has suffered for most of Rubys life.

Now, I loved Highdown Hall and rated it 5 stars. Could this one live up to it? Seeing how high the bar was set. Well, let me tell you, yes, it did. In fact, if I’m being completely honest
Julia Peet
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this second Psychic Surveys novel from Shani Struthers. The characters that appeared in the first book all came together again and even more delightfully, the appearance (or not!) of Jed, the ghost dog was an added bonus. I found the addition of this furry member of the Psychic Surveys Team a pleasant lift to the storyline. Ruby was the main feature in this story, together with her boyfriend Cash and it was great to see how Jessica, Ruby's mother, was able to find her voice and te ...more
d.mcnicholas
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A darker tale

This is the second book in the Psychic Surveys series and an altogether more sinister story. It has that the crawly, creepiness that makes the back of your neck tingle. I made the mistake of reading parts when alone in the evening. I won't be doing that again!
Ruby and the gang must fight an age old evil that just won't leave her alone. Ruby shines and it's drawn to her. It's been lurking in the shadows a long time and Ruby must go into battle. Luckily she has an amazing group of pe
Debra
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

I only gave 4 stars because it at one point almost lost my interest. Not enough to really put it down but it started to feel hohum. It is a good second in the series and I will get the next one also. It is good to have Jessica come into the story and be a mom. At least it appears she will. I have yet to read if that actually happens..

Noelle Kelly
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I moved on to this straight after the first book in the series and this was much darker and scarier. After being introduced to them in book 1 I was terrified for them in book 2. There were some scary scenes in this book and I loved it!
Sharlene
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book so much I immediately went and bought the next 3.
As promised this story definitely gets darker. All I can say is, it's not good to read this just before going to sleep!
A great, dark, nail biting read. I'm off to read book 3.
Natasha du Plessis
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as much as book 1 in the series. We get to know Ruby more in this book and also what happened to her mother years ago. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. Great writing with great characters.
Book Monitor
This second in the series was a darker tale. Ruby and her family take the centre stage. This goes back to what her mother experienced and challenges all the psychic survey gang but especially Ruby.
It is well written and gripping and although I didn't like this as much as the first I liked the character development and felt that Ruby whilst interesting isn't always likeable. She doesn't always make wise decisions and she can be downright stroppy. Of the other charcters Ness is the least develope
Desiree O'donnell
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow going but good

I think I liked the first book better. This one was a little slow going and took me a lot longer to finish. I will try book 3 and see how that one goes. All in all however, the book was good.
carla stout
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruby

I choose this rating but c cause I enjoyed it. A bit frightening but was a good read. I will read more
Joyce
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh WOW just finished the Rise To Me the second book in the psychic surveys series it was amazing, when I first started reading I didn't think I was going to like this one as much as the first, but when I was a few chapters in I couldn't put it down, it is a truly gripping story now I can't wait to read the third, and usually I like a break between books in a series, but not this series I absolutely can't get enough of it.
Joy
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rise To Me...
Better than the first book and that one was pretty great. Definitely more tense moments for Ruby and company this time around. I'm glad this story wasn't set directly on the heels of the previous.
I appreciate that rather than have this span a short time frame (of days or weeks) it is a struggle of months. It shows that the writer is well aware that not all problems are solved lickety-split.
teresa brandt
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series of books ,a must read if you like the paranormal.
Molly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant read

Absolutely loved this book! Shani Struthers is a great author can't wait to read the other books in this series!
Christina Bearden-white
Quick and fun read, as always with Shani Struthers.
joanne miller
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
rise to me

This is the second book in the series about Ruby and her team and I've got to say I loved both books and I've just downloaded two more.really good read couldn't put this one down 😀😀
John Morris
Slightly Disappointed

I didn't feel that this book was as enjoyable as others I have read by the same author. It felt rather laboured and strung out. The main characters lacked depth. Shani Struthers is a good story teller, but this was not one of her better efforts. However, it will not stop me downloading other books by the same author.
Caroline
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shani does it again with another wonderful story in the psychic surveys series this one feels darker than the first, but is well balanced with humour, I am loving seeing how the characters develop over the series of books.
Colin Hodgkins
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the prequel to the series first with just two of the team investigating a haunted town.
Really enjoyed book 1 of the series and moved immediately onto book 2 "Rise to me".
Carol Oates
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I’m getting around to writing this review. After reading the first book in this series, The Haunting of Highdown Hall, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book. Let me just say, I grew up on dark supernatural and horror. From a young age I probably saw more movies and read more books in the genre than I should have. I had nightmares because of James Herbert and Stephen King books, and one of the first movies on our home cinema(a projector and screen) was The Masque of the Red Death. ...more
  • The New Chalet School (The Chalet School, #14)
  • A Cat on Jingle Bell Rock (Alice Nestleton, #15)
  • Welcome to the Spookshow
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • The Fall of the Dagger (The Forsaken Lands, #3)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Deeds of Mercy (Mark Taylor, #3)
  • The Christmas Night Murder (Christine Bennett, #5)
  • Bryant & May and the Secret Santa (Bryant & May, #11.5)
  • Murder, She Wrote: Murder Never Takes a Holiday
  • Ornaments of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10)
  • City of Ice
  • The Necromancer's Betrayal (The Final Formula, #2.5)
  • For the Memory of Dragons (Dragons of Eternity #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
It's all about the ghosts...

Here's the order my books come in:

Psychic Surveys Series:
Psychic Surveys Book Five: Descension
Psychic Surveys Book Six: Legion DUE SPRING 2019

Psychic Surveys Companion Novels:
Eve: A Psychic S

Psychic Surveys (5 books)
  • Eve: A Christmas Ghost Story (Psychic Surveys, #0.5)
  • The Haunting of Highdown Hall (Psychic Surveys, #1)
  • 44 Gilmore Street (Psychic Surveys, #3)
  • Old Cross Cottage (Psychic Surveys, #4)