Start by marking “Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services” as Want to Read:

Whether you're designing consumer electronics, medical devices, enterprise Web apps, or new ways to check out at the supermarket, today's digitally-enabled products and services provide both great opportunities to deliver compelling user experiences and great risks of driving your customers crazy with complicated, confusing technology. Designing successful products and ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Wiley (first published January 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Designing for the Digital Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for the Digital Age

Start your review of Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
Nathanael Coyne
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it
A hefty 740 pages, this book is comprehensive and precise just like About Face was except Kim's book has more of a focus on methodology, research, persona development and design language. Some great examples in here with an entire chapter devoted to a sample user interview. If you already own About Face 3 then you should get this book too. If you want to choose between them and you're more a researcher/designer than web/software interaction developer then I suggest you just get this book.
Annuska
Jan 03, 2016 added it
Shelves: hci
I have an extra copy if anyone wants it.
Daniel Klainbaum
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As close to a UX bible as you'll find.
Nick
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
The perfect monitor riser. Uses dense, knotty prose in an attempt to dress up what is basically common sense advice on how to communicate and pay attention when you ask questions. Worst of all, when attempting to critique this book in the UX community you discover there are a lot of naked emperor apologists in our profession.

There are specific tactics here for doing user research, but these could be just as easily learned in any number of other ways—ones where the heart of the matter isn't
Luke Smith
May 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
How the hell does this have 4+ stars average rating? What is wrong with the people on Earth? (C’mon, asteroid.) “Design for the Digital Age” is a phone book with prescriptive instructions that take all the joy out of UI design. The author makes UX an elitist ivory tower practice with pejorative terms like “swoop and poop.” I think this book is for agency drones and hand-wavers who make their living selling the emperor’s new clothes.
Eric
Nov 10, 2010 added it
I got as far as the chapter on Detailed Design before I realised that despite my best intentions, I would never get around to finishing this book.

Close enough to mark it "read" though, I think

Pity, it was a pretty good, comprehensive read, a bit intimidating at times, but quite enough to get me excited about interaction design... probably another passing fancy
Oz
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Topic: General UX reference book that covers design process in depth

Why Read It: Not a quick read, but gives you deeper understanding of the field. This is the type of book that gives you a sense of the design process that many UX hiring managers are looking for.

When to Read it: This book is rather dense, so design beginners should check it out after reading some quick, fun books on UX. Meant for repeated reference.

Kim Goodwin’s Designing for the Digital Age is a thorough handbook that walks you
Jay DiNitto
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great resource for reading about the full breadth of what it means to be involved on a UX team, from start to finish. It can be read straight through but may work best as a reference guide when you need some process inspiration, or you're not sure of the next best course of action. I take this book as somewhat autobiographical, since Goodwin references much of her work with Cooper, and there's plenty of material (some may say an overwhelming amount) to get yourself acquainted with modern, ...more
Shuting
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Karen
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kim is one of the most respected UX experts in the field. She knows the big picture and the little details and she did everyone a favor by writing this massive tome. I am personally insulted on Kim's behalf by some of these negative reviews by UX wankers, don't listen to them, listen to her.
sethmsparks
Ok

A lot to read through but some good info. A lot of situational context made it a bit tougher to get through.
Matthew Wilson
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux, design
Great solid guide to user experience design from strategy to implementation. I used this in a class on goal-centered user experience development and Marketing and this book provided an excellent overview of UX and the UX development process, along with very detailed practical techniques that were very useful for both beginners (my students) and practitioners who have been at it a while but need some new perspective.
Adam
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
Wonderful step-by-step tour through the Cooper method of discovering user needs, categorizing and measuring requirements and delivering designs that underpin delightful interactive systems. Yes, it's thick, but it's also an easy read and great reference.
Jose Luis Pajares
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my bedside book for digital design for several years. Now still I have it at hand since its some of the more exhaustive books on HCI/UX I have in my shelves, specially for designing physical interactive products. detailed HCI/UX.
Marcela
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good as an overall reference which might come in handy when I'm starting a project dealing with clients.
Nina
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
+Gutes Nachschlagewerk zum Einstieg

-Als Ebook eher mühsam
Grant Baker
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book outlining the Goal Directed Design approach.
George B.
Best book for product designing 1 2 Feb 12, 2018 11:07PM
Incorrect Book Title 3 7 Jan 18, 2010 03:41PM

• Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »