Start by marking “The Lovesick Maid: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel” as Want to Read:
The Lovesick Maid: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel

The Lovesick Maid: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel

(Charlotte Collins Mystery #1)

One of the maids at Rosings Park is sick. But is there more to Mary Booth's illness than a broken heart? Only Charlotte Collins has enough wits about her to find the answer.

In this Pride and Prejudice sequel, Jane Austen's Hunsford and Rosings Park comes to life with familiar characters like the lovelorn Anne de Bourgh, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Mr Collins and, of course, Lady
Published February 25th 2018 by Lost Opinions e. U.

To ask other readers questions about The Lovesick Maid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lovesick Maid

Start your review of The Lovesick Maid: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel
wosedwew
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, book-reviews, 2021
Common sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden. ~ Author unknown

Elvis Presley would have us believe a “hard-headed woman” and a “soft-hearted man” have been the cause of trouble since the world began.

But what about an intelligent, imaginative woman paired with a dullard?

Charlotte Lucas Collins made what she considered an intelligent decision: to marry a slow-witted but essentially good-hearted man. She does her best to give him the respect he deserves while giving herself the f
Leslie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolute joy to read. This is a new series (yay!) set at Rosings featuring the sleuthing Charlotte Collins. I really love this Charlotte she has managed her husband, and really pretty much Lady Catherine so now she is dealing with the parishioners. When a tenants daughter falls ill Charlotte tries to determine who, what where, why and how is it happening.

This is a clean, low angst, low distress mystery. Lizzy and Darcy are mentioned by never appear. Another reviewer mentioned Miss M
Susan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this Pride and Prejudice sequel several years have passed since Charlotte married Mr. Collins. But now she is concerned when one of the Rosings's maids, Mary Booth, seems to be more than suffering from a broken heart. Charlotte is determined to solve the mystery and maybe help her own loneliness, and her sense of still being an outsider in this parish.
A delightful whodunnit with a cast of familiar characters plus a few new ones.
Teresa
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this short story. It's set in Rosings Park and the village of Hunsford and the main character is Charlotte Collins. The writing is wonderful and I think Mark catches the cadence and nuances of Jane Austen perfectly.
This is the first in a series I believe and I'm looking forward to the next one to see what gets thrown into the mix and how it effects our beloved characters from P&P.
Debbie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good whodunnit at Kent after Pride and Prejudice ends. N0 murder, but Mary Booth, a Rosings maid, has a mysterious illness. At first, it appears she's just heartbroken, but then her illness starts to seem more suspicious.

I love this story despite the absence of Elizabeth and Darcy. Charlotte Collins makes a great Miss Marple. She manages her stupid husband and his equally short-sighted patroness deftly, and she cares about the villagers and the Rosings staff. Even Anne de Bourgh
Don Jacobson
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Gentle Mystery

Mark Brownlow offers readers a subtle mystery which reminded this reviewer of a Miss Marple story. He imbued his detective, Charlotte Collins with a quiet persistence that fraudsters the lines expected for the woman from Lucas Lodge. No explosive action sequences...just The low key acts of sleuthing that take all the puzzle pieces and try to assemble them once only to discover they do not fit. A moment's pause leads to a more satisfying conclusion. Well written and edited, Lovesi
Rose Servitova
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read. I loved it- where Austen meets Agatha Christie. I look forward, very much, to the next installment. Everyone who loves Austen should read this.
Lona Manning
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans, cozy mystery fans
Mark Brownlow chose well when he selected Charlotte Lucas Collins as his protagonist for a new series of cozy Regency mysteries. Who better than Charlotte--level-headed, practical, kind and intelligent--to delve into unexplained happenings in her new home of Hunsford?
A housemaid at Rosings is mysteriously ill. Who or what is behind it? Brownlow provides several plausible perpetrators. Charlotte has to solve the mystery while contending with her husband and the imperious Lady Catherine DeBourgh.
Sophia
Last year, I became enamored with Cozy Mysteries. I was delighted to discover a new one set in Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice world. A clever and fun fusion that brings authentic Regency village/country house setting, a charming lead character, and a colorful array of side characters and happenings to fill out this first book in the series.

Time line-wise it is set after the events of Pride & Prejudice and focuses on the people at Rosings and Hunsford village with P&P side character, Charlotte C
Mark Brownlow
Mar 01, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Not going to rate my own book, but I can legitimately claim to have read it (repeatedly, in fact).
Carole (in Canada)
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Austenesque mystery/sequel

My Rating: 3.5* rounded up to 4*

"If a marriage is to succeed, then a wife must encourage her husband to pursue those interests likely to keep him engaged for long periods of time." (quote from the book)

Mrs. Charlotte Collins walked softly and carried a subtle stick. Her intelligence led her to gently manipulate her husband in order for her to go about helping those less fortunate in her parish. When illness strikes a maid with no explanation, other than being heartbroken, she starts her own inve
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff
What I loved:
❤️ Charlotte makes a believable detective. Very Miss Marple!
❤️ How Charlotte manages everyone around her so well (especially Mr. Collins)
❤️ A solid, well-done mystery
❤️ Wit, humor, and charm.
This was a wonderful, low angst read I’m certain to read again!
Nikel27
Free Kindle book
Barbara
This is the first in a Pride and Prejudice sequel mystery series, and I've now read both books currently in the series, but out of order chronologically. Oops. It doesn't matter too much, as they stand alone quite well. They're mystery novellas, with mysteries that Charlotte Collins feels compelled to solve. There's a romance that runs as a connecting thread through both stories, and I found them both delightful. Of the two, I think this one is my favorite.

The story takes place at Hunsford, and
lori huff
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very nice

After reading "Cake and Courtship" by this author, I was expecting biting wit and humor. This short book, however, is just an interesting little tale involving Charlotte Collins and some events in the small village of Hunsford. She gets involved in some intrigue concerning a sick girl, who is a maid at Rosings Park. Charlotte attempts to unravel a mystery about what is making the young maid ill.

All the usual Hunsford characters are there, as well as Colonel Fitzwilliam, and we meet some
Lisa
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
It was interesting

I liked the plot, there is a bit editing problems. But,the author should know that Charlotte would never call Elizabeth, Eliza. From the original P&P, only Caroline Bingley addressed her as such. That was she knew that Elisabeth hated the nickname. Charlotte, friends and family revered to get by her given name or Lizzy.
Joan
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Avid Reader

This was a quick fast read. I thought the way that Charlotte solved the mystery was interesting, especially since the person suspected of poisoning Mary Booth was innocent.
Nikii
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenalia
A lovely, smart return to the world of Pride & Prejudice, featuring the inimitably practical Charlotte Collins and the other characters of Rosings Park and Hunsford Parsonage. I will definitely be buying the sequel!
A_Friend
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Lovesick Maid...

Enjoyable read. The rectors wife gets into an interesting tale of events in the small village they live in. She handles in investigation of possible poisoning case. A definite must read. Very enjoyable short story
Janet L.
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. I would recommend this book. A mystery based on Pride & Prejudice characters. Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Anne
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte finds the clues

A young maid at Rosings has a mysterious illness, and Charlotte Collins untangles a web of lies to find the cause. Happy ending.
MaryBliss
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it.
Susan
Oct 14, 2018
Meryn
May 18, 2018
Leonor Heitor
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2021
S Sharolinlit
Mar 30, 2019
BrokenMnemonic
Jun 06, 2020

• Mr Darcy's Persuasion: An Austen-inspired tale of pride, prejudice and persuasion
  • Locked at the Netherfield Ball: A Pride and Prejudice variation
  • Sanctuary: Volume 1
  • The Kidnapping of Elizabeth Bennet: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Sons of Pemberley: A Pride & Prejudice Reimagining
  • Revolutionary (Clandestine Magic Book 3)
  • Radical (Clandestine Magic, #2)
  • Darcy's Spotless Reputation: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Absolution (Children's House, #3)
  • Mr. Bennet's Illness: A Short Farce
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy's Wager: A Pride & Prejudice Variation (Dimensions of Darcy Book 4)
  • Subversive (Clandestine Magic, #1)
  • The Rushing Waters of Pemberley
  • Mr. Darcy and the Victim of Circumstance: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Rosings (Pride & Prejudice Continues #2)
  • A Season Lost (Constant Love #3)
  • The book with which it all began: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Friendship: Pride and Prejudice Variation
Mark is a British-born writer now living in Vienna after falling in love with his (Austrian) Elizabeth Bennet. Though his wife would probably describe him as more Edward Ferrars than Mr Darcy.

When not writing, he works as a university lecturer and journalist.

Charlotte Collins Mystery (2 books)
  • The Darcy Ring: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel (Charlotte Collins Mysteries #2)