Start by marking “Once Upon a Curse (Tales of the Frog Princess, #3)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Curse (Tales of the Frog Princess, #3)

Once Upon a Curse (The Tales of the Frog Princess #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  11,579 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
Many years ago a slighted fairy placed a curse on a beautiful young princess--a curse that caused her and all her female descendants to turn into mean, ugly witches if they ever touched a flower after turning sixteen. Now, Princess Emma, who is about to turn sixteen herself, is determined to break the spell once and for all. Emma travels back in time to the day the curse w ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Turtleback Books (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Curse

Becky
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting through these really quickly, they are really easy reads. This is book 3 in the series. Emma has been told for years about the family curse, any female over 16 in her family must stay away from flowers. Years ago Princess Hazel insulted a Fairy who cast the curse on her, now Emma's Grandmother is a bad tempered, mean spirited old witch, and has been for a few years, but now it's worse - her fun loving friendly aunt Grassina has been turned bad. Instead of the helpful jolly Aunt she i ...more
Debbie
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the fractured fairy tale
Tales of the Frog Princess, book 3.

Princess Emma is anxious to marry Prince Eadric, but first she must undo the family curse that threatens to turn her into an evil hag. Grassina has already fallen victim to the curse, as has every Green Witch before her. Emma goes back in time to when the spell was cast to try to discover how to break it.

Fans of the first two books in the series will like this one as well.
Kim ~*Nina*~
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you already know emma and her Prince Edric so whats next ? Emma races to find a cure to her family curse befor she turns sixteen .She whants her aunt back to normal. But when she finds the cure to the curse .can a simple kiss be carried out?
Allison
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was awsome and I suggest you read it if you like fantasy.
Emily
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute! Not a disappointment. Just as good as the past two.
Gholia Yelps
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. it was really good it also made me laugh
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Kathryn
I've been curious about Baker's books and as my library had a copy of his one on audio, narrated by Katherine Kellgren, I couldn't resist even though this is third in a series. The author explains things well enough that I did not feel lost. Alas, though, I did not feel that interested or excited, either. Even Kellgren's narration, which I usually love, felt a little bland here. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's me, as I've tried several of this "type" of book and , even though I think I sho ...more
Eliza Brittni
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Recommended to Eliza Brittni by: me
Sella Malin
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was AMAZING!! It's definitely the best in the series so far. This series is just getting better and better. I think this book really made me start loving it. At the beginning, with the first and second books, I thought it was cute, but didn't really love it so much...but now it's one of my favorites series!! I LOVED the whole going-back-in time thing, that was soo cool. The ending was sooo sweet. :D I can't wait to read the next book!!
Chloe Resendez
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy March
Overall, I liked this book the best in this series so far. The fairytale and time travel elements were a lot of fun, and the tone/pacing of the story seems to improve dramatically with each book.

A few things just either felt rushed or plain weird however. Like what was up with the borderline beast/humanoid romance? I know the guy was a vampire and could turn himself into a bat, but Lil literally WAS a bat, so he basically fell in love with an animal.
Lisa Tollefson
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a fun read. A little too much of explaining what has already happened, but at least it's stuffed into the first couple of pages for the most part, so it's not too intrusive. Our heroine goes back in time to find out how to break the curse that has, well, cursed the women in her family for generations. It's nice to take a break from "adult" fiction and read something for middle school kids.
Kaylee
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a cute read, only took me less than a day to devour, but I felt I was in need of something short and simple. I may have totally skipped the first book, but I personally thought it wasn't needed to understand completely, though it would have added some more insight on few topics that were brought up. All in all, would recommend if your in need of a cute fairy-tale book with a spin. Plus I loved the involvement of the mythical creatures, it really added to the sweetness of the book.
Rebecca Ray
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are totally adorable. I started reading these because my ten year old wanted me to read them so we could talk about them together. I ordered her the remaining books in the series this morning as part of her Christmas because they are such fun reads.
Danielle Routh
Too much exposition, not enough action, and overall undermined by the fact that Emma's magic can fix everything, so no real stakes are involved. I liked this one better when I was younger.
Anoushay
Natalie
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults, females, 9-13
Shelves: yal
Princess Emma is the Green Witch of Greater Greensward, the kingdom her parents (the King and Queen) rule. At fifteen years old and on the eve of her sixteenth birthday, most of the princesses of her time would be worried about courtship, an upcoming proposal, gown fittings, courtly etiquette, and meeting neighboring kingdoms (and their princes). However, Emma has much more on her plate than the average princess. Born from a line of gifted witches, Emma inherited the ability to do magic and due ...more
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
haha, i started last night...discretely ;D
sadly i forgot the story...but luckily the beginning is like a heads-up or reminder of what the story was talking about before
okay, so emeralda (or emma) is reaching her 16th birthday in a week, but there was this curse put on their family by a fairy, starting with princess hazel, saying that by touching a flower from age 16 onwards, all of their kindness, beauty, and good disappears and changes them to irritable witches :P
only the girls of the family ar
Elizabeth
I love time-travel, and although I had one major problem with it (see below), the time-travel in Once Upon A Curse was executed nicely, if not as Back to the Future-ish as it could have been. Baker continues to use her characters in such a way that absurd situations never seem absurd, just humorous. Every character is used for some sort of humor, and it makes the whole story very fun to read (the fight with the dragon is especially humorous).

I absolutely adored the ending. I thought that Emma wa
J.D.Staton
There were two prominent characteristics about this third book in The Tales Of The Frog Princess book series that I found disturbing. Time and again, Eadric would tantrum when Emma came to his aid/rescued him from a dangerous situation, yet he expected her to take him with her absolutely everywhere she went so that he could "protect" and "take care of" her, in any dangerous or difficult circumstance. This double standard got very old, very fast. It is one of the most basic positions of those who ...more
Rachael
Generations ago, a fairy cursed every woman in Emma's family. If any of them touch flowers after their sixteenth birthday, she'll turn into a horrible, ugly, mean-tempered witch. Emma's sixteenth birthday is approaching, and determined to avoid the fate that befell her grandmother and aunt, Emma goes back to the day of the curse in hopes of preventing it from ever happening in the first place. But once in the past, Emma begins to lose hope that the curse will ever be broken.

This was a fun, light
Sara ♥
All right. So this is the third installment of the Tales of the Frog Princess, after The Frog Princess and Dragon's Breath. In the last book, Emma and Eadric were concerned with turning Grassina's fiancé, Haywood, back from otter to human... and they were successful, except there was a slight glitch in the end, involving flowers, the family curse, and a big personality change. Emma finds herself with the title of Green Witch and more responsibility than she really cares to have.

SO, in Once Upon
Amber
May 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once Upon A Curse is the third and final book in this series about Princess Emeralda and Prince Eadric (the others being Dragon's Breath and The Frog Princess).

Princess Emma and Prince Eadric must set out on quest. Another quest, you say? Yes, and another curse to undo. But the stakes are much higher this time. In fact, if Emma can't undo her family curse, then she and Eadric can never be happy together. Now, what exactly does this curse do? Can it be that bad, you ask? Well, let me tell you, ye
Meg McGregor
Emma and Eadric's adventures continue, in this the third book, of The Frog Princess series!

I love time travel novels, I love tales about princesses and princes, and I love all the books by this author so of course I truly enjoyed reading this book.

This time, they are on a quest to find a way to either reverse the curse that has plagued the family for generations - or-cause it to never have been cast in the first place. The curse causes all girls and women over 16 years old to become just plain n
Meg McGregor
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-i-love

Florence
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like to read about fairy tales and witch casting spells? If you enjoy reading about fairy tales and witch crafts then Once upon a curse is the book for you. This book is about a princess named Emma who's ancestors had been cursed by an angry fairy. The curse was cast long ago back in the days of the first green witch, Emma's ancestor. On the sweet sixteenth birthday of the green witch, she gave out everlasting bouquets for everyone and unfortunately, she didn't brought enough for everybod ...more
Lizzy O
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • Princess Charming (Princess School, #5)
  • Twice Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #2)
  • The Runaway Princess (Runaway Princess, #1)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • Goose Chase
  • The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic (Rhianna, #1)
  • A True Princess
  • Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella
E.D. Baker (Elizabeth Dawson Baker) made her international debut in 2002 with The Frog Princess, which was a Texas Lone Star Reading List Book, A Book Sense Children's Pick, a Florida's Sunshine State Readers List pick & a 2006 Sasquatch Book Award nominee. The Princess and the Frog, is loosely based on this novel.

Elizabeth was born in Buffalo, New York and spent most of the next eighteen yea
More about E.D. Baker...

The Tales of the Frog Princess (9 books)
  • The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #1)
  • Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2)
  • No Place for Magic (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #4)
  • The Salamander Spell (Tales of the Frog Princess, #5)
  • The Dragon Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #6)
  • Dragon Kiss (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #7)
  • A Prince Among Frogs (Tales of the Frog Princess, # 8)
  • The Frog Princess Returns (The Tales of the Frog Princess #9)
“How do you plan to scare people tonight?" asked a hollow-voiced spector. "I'll wait until they sit down to supper, then scream whenever someone sticks his knife in his meat."

I'll haunt the bedchambers," said another. "A bloody ax at midnight always gets a good reaction."

A ghost with a purplish tinge to his aura spoke next. "I can top both of you. I'm going to dress like a guard and haunt the privy. I'll hide in the hole and when anyone sits down I'll wail, 'Who goes there? State your business!”
55 likes
“Your father is the first person to tell me that I am lovely who seemed to mean it. The only people who've told me that before were ones who think they're supposed to flatter a princess'
'I think you're lovely,' murmured Eadric.
'Only because you love me,' I said.
'Hmm,' he said, kissing me before I could say anything else.”
27 likes