Start by marking “Renaissance: The Fall and Rise of a King” as Want to Read:
Renaissance: The Fall and Rise of a King

Renaissance: The Fall and Rise of a King

The Plain of Redemore, 22nd August 1485

Richard III – betrayed and defeated!

His gaze sweeps over the bloody carnage surrounding him. A cry goes up: “We have found the king!” He sees Henry Tudor standing triumphant over a mauled and battered corpse and hears him whisper, “It is done. England is mine.”

How can this be, when he is not dead?

With the help of his celestial
Published February 23rd 2018 by UK Book Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Renaissance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renaissance

Start your review of Renaissance: The Fall and Rise of a King
Helen Hollick
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
"...the writing is lovely, well-characterised without being stereotypical and has an ending which is both emotional and thought provoking."
Kristine Hicken
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Marla Skidmore’s first novel, she has taken risks with the telling of Richard III’s story that other authors might hesitate to do. After a heart-stopping narrative of the battle of Redemore Plain (aka the Battle of Bosworth) where Richard III lost his life, we find ourselves with Richard in a place that exists between life and eternity. The entire concept could have started and ended by either offending certain religious/personal philosophies or being some kind of fantasy. It was neither. It ...more
Lisa Marie Gabriel
This was a believable presentation of the alternative version of the events of Bosworth Field, the end of the Plantagenet dynasty and the rise of the Tudors and it had such a heartwarming ending. The device of using the supernatural and the afterlife should not put history enthusiasts off. The basic arguments are believable and the paranormal angle makes for a highly entertaining read in which you really warm to King Richard and feel a connection to him. Thank you.
Jade O'Brien
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a Richard III fan by any means but this book is one of the best I have ever read about the mediaeval king, the ending had me in tears and I could feel every emotion that Richard was feeling. This isn't like every other fiction book out there this premise is unique and something I had personally never seen before, it is well worth reading and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
My full spoiler free review can be viewed on my blog. http://britishbookaddict.blogspot.com...
Maudie
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. My sister and I went to Leicester for the Richard III celebrations. It was a nice thought just now to think that Richard was there.
Michael R. Zuelke
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time, over 40 years ago I have been interested in Richard III and the period of the War of the Roses. I have read the scholarly works as well as the many novels that put flesh on the historical bones of this period. Surely much is speculation since records are missing or still to be discovered. I approach these works with some skepticism but with an open mind. I would rate Marla Skidmore's Renaissance: The Fall and Rise of a King as very satisfying ...more
S.Ballinger
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This a historical fiction novel about Richard III the story begins with his death at the Battle of Bosworth , but this is only the beginning of the story.

The author made a intriguing an interesting decision to follow Richard into the afterlife from here the reader gets to see events from Richards life in a number of flashback's. We also get to see the struggles he might have gone through while coming trying to terms the decisions he made and the consequences they had. We also get to see him
Julia Bell
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this novel and I'm happy to give Renaissance five stars. Although not a fan of Richard III I found the story of his life, death and redemption so credible. As with most folk, my idea of this particular king is coloured by the works of Shakespeare and it was heartening to read a different account of his life. I particularly enjoyed the idea that another might be responsible for the deaths of the two princes in the Tower. Again this was a very credible account.
I really liked the way
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Renaissance – The Fall and Rise of a King by Marla Skidmore has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Premier Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

A very well researched and well written book. I particularly liked the way the author chose to tell Richard’s story, starting with the Battle of Bosworth rather than ending with it. The writing is beautifully descriptive and emotive.

Pauline Barclay - Founder of Chill Awards
Debby Taylor-Lane
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and well researched book written from a very unusual angle which raises this up above most other Richard III novels.
In her final chapters, Skidmore transports the reader into the moment in a way I have rarely experienced. Richard grabbed my emotions and wrung them out as I stood with him at the reinterment. An incredibly thought provoking chapter that is a must read for any interested in this era.

Eirlys king
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written and good read. However, Richard was just too unbelievable at times for a medieval noble eg in his reluctance to get Anne pregnant again. Also, I found the afterlife very dubious theologically.
Rosie Lee
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read about Richard III from his death too his reburial in March 2015 I’m sad this book had ended it truly was a good read
Susan Kokomo
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars

If you are a Ricardian you will love this book, true facts with an intriguing storyline. Well written and entertaining.
Sue Lamb.
May 21, 2018
Joanne
Oct 29, 2018
Michael Boddy
rated it did not like it
May 11, 2019
Sep 04, 2018

• This Son of York
  • A Glimpse of King Richard III
  • A Rose for the Crown
  • The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant, #5)
  • The Golden Crucifix
  • Blood Libel
  • The Last Plantagenet?
  • The White Rose
  • Grant Me the Carving of My Name: An anthology of short fiction inspired by King Richard III
  • Sacred King: Richard III
  • Children Of Richard III
  • Blood of Roses: Edward IV and Towton (The Falcon and The Sun: The House of York Book 1)
  • Distant Echoes: Richard III Speaks!
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Pour the Dark Wine
  • Semper Fidelis: Squire of Middleham
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • The Rose of York: Love & War (The Rose of York Trilogy, #1)