Start by marking “Truman” as Want to Read:

An NPR Favorite Book of 2019
A New York Times Best Childrens book of 2019
A Kirkus Reviews Best Picture Book of 2019
A School Library Journal Best Picture Book of 2019

"An enchanting tale of bravery, heroism, and undying devotion." The New York Times Book Review

After his best friend Sarah leaves for her first day of school, a tortoise named Truman goes on an adventure
Published July 9th 2019 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Truman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truman

Start your review of Truman
Donna Backshall
This is one of the sweetest children's books I've ever had the honor of reading.

Destined to be a staple in all homes with small children and especially those with small turtles. When I was a little girl, mine was named Watermelon, and he will always be in my heart.

Jaymie
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet first day of school story told from the perspective of the turtle left at home. A lovely, quiet read aloud!
La Coccinelle
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Aww. This is too cute.

This simple story is about a tortoise named Truman who lives with a little girl named Sarah (adorably referred to as "his Sarah") in an apartment above a busy street. One morning, she gives him some extra green beans, takes her "large" backpack, and gets on the bus! Truman waits and waits for her to return, but when she doesn't, he decides he'll just have to get on that bus and go after her himself. The only problem is, he's in a tank on the far side of the living room.

The
Paul  Hankins
"Superman's not brave. He's strong. He's handsome. He's even decent. But, he's not brave. No. He's indestructible. And you can't be brave if you're indestructible." --Chris Crutcher from "A Brief Moment in the Life of Angus Bethune" a short story within his book ATHLETIC SHORTS.

I love TRUMAN.

I mean really. As a secondary ELA teacher who gets to see picture books that might make their way into the room, I came slowly. . .like a turtle. . .to Jean Reidy's TRUMAN. But, now that I have seen and
Jen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this book. Tuman is the most adorable little tortoise. This picture book is about friendship and love & the lengths that you will go for them, even when it all seems impossible. I was smiling on every page.
Melki
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidstuff, adventure
A small turtle goes on a BIG adventure when his human pal disappears one day.

description

description

With adorable illustrations by Lucy Ruth Cummins.
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

What a cutie!

Truman is a tortoise. He lives with Sarah in a city filled with honking taxis, trucks, and buses. But one day, his Sarah packs a backpack and heads out into the world to board a bus. Shes gone a long, long time. Truman misses Sarah! So with great courage and ingenuity, Truman sets out to find her. Over the wall and across the rug we go! Even when the journey seems impossible, Truman keeps on going. Does Truman find Sarah? Youre going to have to read to find out.

This sweet, first
Ms. B
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture
This story about a little girl Sarah and her pet turtle Truman would make a good first day of school story.
Abigail
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Tortoises/Turtles and/or the First Day of School
When his little girl goes away one day, riding the 11 Bus southward, Truman the tiny tortoise becomes anxious, especially when she doesn't come back for some time. Finding a way out of his terrarium, he sets out on an epic cross-apartment journey, determined to catch up with Sarah, even if he has to take the 11 Bus himself...

The classic "first day of school" story is told from a different perspective in Truman, which offers the pet's-eye-view of the big day when children set out for the first
Casey Hess
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say this enough. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! Truman is my favorite picture book I've read this year. This illistrations are beautiful and fantastic and the story is so very heart-warming. Truman shows us that no matter how small anyone can achieve their goals. (On a side note I would pay very good money to get a poster of Truman with the flower in his mouth.) Definitely worth the read, I highly highly recommend.
Kris Patrick
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would love to read this aloud to a classroom!
Sadia Mansoor
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Such a happy, exciting book... Love it to the core! It surely lifted my mood! ^_^

Everyone enjoy the book here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThBJC...
Deborah
I love books that come at classic themes sideways, like the way School's First Day of School presents starting-school-jitters from a totally fresh POV.

Now I have a new favorite for a new school yearthe sweet turtle TRUMAN is one of the most charming characters Ive met in a long time. Im thoroughly smitten, Jean Reidy, Lucy Ruth Cummins.
Holly
Oh, my heart! I gritted my teeth as I started this book, because you know I cannot approve of keeping turtles as pets. But this book is so amazing, it helped me believe that this turtle truly loves his home in an aquarium in an apartment, because he absolutely adores his girl. Wherever she is is home. I love his bravery--and how the girl tells him to be brave, and you realize later that she's really trying to muster up her own courage! (I'm always telling my problem dog to be brave, so that part ...more
Erin Buhr
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most delightful and unexpected back to school books I have ever read. This is Sarah's first day of school, but it is told through the eyes of her sweet turtle, Truman. Sarah leaves and it feels different this time and Truman decides to go after her. The world through the eyes of a turtle is so dear and their relationship even more so. A great story to share any time of the year, but particularly when one must be brave before a first day.
Lynn Plourde
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
It's a love story (pet tortoise & girl love story). It's a back-to-school book. It's sweet in the best sense of the word (both the story and the illustrations). Bravo for the book and for the brave tortoise!
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Simple, yet powerful book! I loved Truman, the turtle, and his desire to overcome any obstacle no matter how big it might look. The illustrations were fantastic and melded completely with the text. Picture book perfection!
Morgan
Sometimes love is big and fast and flashy. And sometimes it's small, slow, and brave - just like Truman.

If someone were to ask me what's so special about picture books anyway, I'd hand them this one. Reidy and Cummins are a match made in heaven and this lovely collaboration lit up my heart.
Carrie Gelson
Oh Truman. So devoted, so brave, so very wonderful.
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This book is absolutely adorable! It is a big story with a little hero who gains courage and confidence, and the illustrations are amazing. A great read for everyone looking for some empowerment and perspective.
Renee
This is a book about an anxious turtle who eats a lot; Of course I love and relate to it. The illustrations are so absurdly cute and expressive. I spent a lot of time lingering on pages (something I don't do that often!) just looking at this cute little turtle's face.
Relyn
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Relyn by: Sent to me by the publisher for Show Me nominee consideration.
A sweet story about a girl and her pet.
Rachel
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Art? Adorable. Story? Well-written and very sweet. General feeling after reading this picture book? Deep contentment. Some sweet words that will be fun to teach kids as well - pensive and unsettled, specifically.
Jana
This adorable picture book would be terrific to share with young readers getting ready to go to school, especially those starting school for the first time. The book shares the story of Truman, a little tortoise who loves his Sarah so much, because she seems to be an awful lot like him - quiet and pensive (there's a word for young readers to learn). Everything is just fine in the nice, peaceful apartment. But when Sarah leaves Truman behind with extra food and disappears onto the city bus down ...more
Margie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love pushes aside fear and makes us brave. We do and say things we would never do or say except when motivated by love. If we feel the recipient of our affection is in a precarious situation, we race to the rescue.

Science is still trying to decipher the development of lasting bonds between animals and humans. For animals and their humans, science is not needed. The love is tangible. Truman (Atheneum Books for Young Readers, July 9, 2019) written by Jean Reidy with illustrations by Lucy Ruth
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Truman is the peaceful and pensive turtle of peaceful and pensive Sarah. But one day Truman infers from all the clues---a big backpack, a big bow, a brand new sweater, a big goodbye---that Sarah has gone somewhere much farther than usual, and that he needs to search for her. Truman bravely sets out.

Jean Reidy brilliantly helps her readers enter the mind of a peaceful, pensive (and quite brave) turtle. It's a back-to-school story that will surprise and delight.
Katie Reilley
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet picture book about friendship and the lengths one (turtle) will go for his Sarah. Would be a good first day read aloud. Will read for #classroombookaday with my 5th grade students. Loved the illustrations.
Cheriee Weichel
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the vintage feel to the illustrations in this book. When Sarah leaves their apartment and is away for a very long time (in turtle time.) Truman, the turtle decides to go after her. The book has lots of math potential. It would also be fun to create a map of where Truman eventually went.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
An irresistably charming reptile.
Ellen
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My heart cannot take the beauty of the book.

• Saturday