Start by marking “Covenant Theology: From Adam to Christ” as Want to Read:
Covenant Theology: From Adam to Christ

Covenant Theology: From Adam to Christ

Covenant Theology: From Adam to Christ is a reprint of two seventeenth century theologians, Nehemiah Coxe and John Owen. It amply displays the fact that seventeenth century Particular Baptists fit within the broader Covenant Theology of that day.
Published October 1st 2005 by Reformed Baptist Academic Press

To ask other readers questions about Covenant Theology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Covenant Theology

Start your review of Covenant Theology: From Adam to Christ
Pascal Denault
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all reformed baptist. Owen and Coxe are my two favorite English theologians. Thanks to the editors for making their work available.
John
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Both sections of the nook were great, but Coxe's was a little easier to follow. Owen's portion was quite meaty and I admit I struggled through it.
Simon Wartanian
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this volume, I read Pascal's work which brought me to Reformed Baptist 1689 Federalism and then I read Recovering A Covenantal Heritage. These works were great, but I missed something. That something was John Owen's mind-blowing exegesis. I was amazed and mind-blown but the grace that was extended to this man in the understanding and explaining of the Scripture. It was biblical and compelling.

It was also nice to read Nehemiah Coxe on the Adamic, Noahic and Abrahamic Co
Troy Nevitt
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truth be told, I'm sure that this book deserves a better rating than I'm giving it. I'm not familiar enough with how Owen writes to be able to have a serious grasp on the material he provided in this book, nor am I able to discern Coxe's works either.

Both men are clearly smart, and have much to say, but to be able to have a reasonable time reading Owen, you should have a firm grasp of Greek, Hebrew, some Syriac, and Latin if possible.

This book did help me in multiple pass
Patrick McWilliams
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog
While my view of the Covenant of Redemption & Covenant of Grace is closer to that of John Gill, Coxe's treatment of the Adamic, Noahic, and Abrahamic covenants, paired with Owen's discourse on the Sinaitic and New Covenants, makes this book indispensable reading, particularly for Reformed Baptists. My only wish was that a discussion of the Davidic covenant was included by one of these great theologians, but that's not enough to drop a star from my rating!
Austin Hoffman
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
Both sections of the book were very helpful, although I would have appreciated more exegesis and defense from Coxe on his position. It was fascinating to see Owen defending essentially the Baptist Covenant position , while remaining paedobaptist.
Brandon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best treatment of the Covenants I have ever read, and has been one of the most influential books on my theology to this day. It advocates for a distinctly Baptist perspective on Covenant Theology that sadly dwindled in the 20th Century (though has thankfully seen a revival in recent years). Nehemiah Coxe systematically goes through each covenant except the Mosaic in his portion of the book. This section is very readable, especially considering it was originally written in the 16 ...more
Jeremy
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book for showing the progression of the covenants through the bible and the radical nature of the new covenant. However, it's a tough read for people like me!
Ryan Akers
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Timothy Decker
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful to see the historic roots of Baptist Covenant Theology. 1689 Federalism needs more fleshing out for modern use, however. We need more books like this one!
Brandon Adams
I first read this volume almost two years ago, and have since recommended it to as many people as I could. At the time, I was preparing to teach a bible study through the book of Genesis. As a Reformed Baptist, I knew I would have to address God's covenant with Abraham, so I began diving into covenant theology. I was a little surprised and somewhat bewildered by what I read - as it didn't match my own thoughts on the subject. I knew I wasn't a dispensationalist, but I didn't seem to be lining up ...more
Kenneth
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Reformed baptist or others interested in Covenant theology
Coxe, Nehemiah & Owen, John: Covenant Theology From Adam to Christ
“Containing A Discourse of the covenant that God made with men before the Law. Wherin, the Covenant of Circumcision is more largely handled, and the invalidity of the plea for paeodobaptism taken from thence discovered. By Nehemiah Coxe and An Exposition of Hebrews 8:6-13. Wherein, the nature and differences between the Old and New Covenants is discovered. By John Owen” Edited by Ronald D. Miller, James M. Renihan, and F
John Tobler iii
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I would say the greatest benefit of this book is the light it has shed on many Scripture passages. Knowing that our triune God always deals with us by way of covenant, to begin to read the Bible through a covenantal lens has been a great blessing.

Also, it has given me a better understanding of the covenant theologians( along with their confessions) of the 17th century. Being that I am a 2LBC RB, and worshipping in an OPC, this book has hopefully further equipped me for more frui
Davey Ermold
This book was recommended to me by one of my best friends as the standard text for covenant theology. And for that, I rate it two stars.

On its own merits, however, I found it severely lacking in a sound Scriptural basis; I came away a stauncher dispensationalist than when I began it. Just because someone [rightly] places emphasis upon the sovereignty and grace of God clearly does not mean that their hermeneutical system is proper and well-supported. To support an entire system on the
Daniel Thomas
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, 2014
Coming to Reformed Theology, I first came to an understanding of a Presbyterian formulation of Covenant Theology; but then a buddy of mine referred me to some works on Baptist Covenant Theology. This book, as well as Denault's "The Distinctiveness of Baptist Covenant Theology", has given me some things to consider. The next book on my reading list is "Recovering a Covenantal Heritage: Essays In Baptist Covenant Theology".
Nathan White