Start by marking “Beyond Sex Roles: What the Bible Says about a Woman's Place in Church and Family” as Want to Read:

This first-rate biblical and theological study offers an accessible examination of the key texts of Scripture pertinent to understanding female roles, affirming full equality of the sexes in family and church. The third edition has been revised throughout. Gilbert Bilezikian avoids using scholarly jargon and complex argumentation in the main text of the book to encourage r ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Baker Academic (first published April 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Sex Roles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Sex Roles

John
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a game-changer for me. In the sometimes pitched battle between so-called "egalitarians" and "complementarians" this book was a major salvo in response to the early backlash generated by the latter camp toward the former. Complementarians, in short, hold that the Bible mandates a superior and authoritative role for men over women in both the life of the church and the life of the home. Egalitarians, such as Bilezikian, hold that a careful and scholarly reading of the Bible reveals otherw ...more
Kate Davis
Mostly helpful and persuasive, but written a bit dryly. He frequently starts paragraphs with "Lesson:" and every time I think of Dwight Schrute. Also, he can get a little technical for most people. The first chapter, when he's speaking of Genesis, the detail-orientation is really helpful, but after that it's tedious. As a woman, I still have some questions and issues in regards to how I fit into "leadership" with my church, but it definitely gave me a good start in the right direction. More help ...more
Jon
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women, theology
Fantastic coverage of all the biblical passages dealing with women. The Appendix in the 2nd Edition is worth the price of the book..on "Kephale/Headship". This book has excellent scholarship, plenty of footnotes if you care to follow up, and generally very strong exegesis of the biblical texts. I was disappointed in how he deals with Gen. 2-3 and 1 Tim. 2, which unfortunately are two of the most pivotal texts, but otherwise a very strong book overall.
Deborah
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting arguments, well thought out, but lacking evidence throughout his sections on Gen 2-3 and 1 Tim. 2, which seem to be two of the most crucial texts on the subject, but otherwise a very strong book overall.
Matthew
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I don't agree with his conclusions, but I think this is one of the better books on representing the egalatarian viewpoint. He makes some good points, even if I ultimately disagree.
Deborah-Ruth
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This is one of the best, well-researched, and well-argued books written from the Egalitarian approach. One of the greatest assets of this book is that Bilezikian traces the role of men and women from Creation to the New Creation ultimately arriving at the conclusion that both genders are intended to compliment one another. Being a theologian, I can attest to the fact that his writing has profound historical validity as well as Scriptural significance. My only disappointment with this book is tha ...more
Jenifer DeCastro
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The hermeneutical approach to a women place in the church and family was new to me. I appreciated the intellectual research and conclusions. This book encouraged me as a women in ministry and will remain on my shelf to be referred to frequently.
Lauren Butler
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thorough look at scripture with freeing and empowering conclusions. Dense- took a while to get through it.
Dorothy Greco
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone wanting to understand what the Bible says about women in leadership.
Simon Marshall
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
It’s not often that reading a book makes me think of Marmite–but this one certainly did. Readers will probably either love it or loathe it. In the third edition of his book (originally published in 1985) Gilbert Bilezikian tackles the whole question of the place of women in the church and the family. His starting point is a creation-fall-redemption model for understanding scripture, not in itself controversial and a helpful one in this instance, I think. Despite coming from the Academic side of ...more
Scott Ristau
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reading this book was a fascinating experience. Never have I had so many things I wanted to affirm and reject in such rapid succession.

Bilezikian's work here represents the standard egalitarian argument for gender roles. In its third edition for over ten years already, many have heard the egalitarian narrative from second-hand sources. However, this is a great book for students interested in how those who reject meaningful gender roles understand Scripture. Bilezikian helpfully takes a biblical-
Carolyn
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the best book I've found SO FAR that walks through the Bible and discusses all the relevant passages from an egalitarian point of view. Sometimes I think he goes too far to make his case. And I've had to review parts of it multiple times as I've read and gotten used to this issue/debate/idea. Still, I have found his perspective very helpful in trying to figure out the best interpretation of Scripture.
Kristiana
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The most helpful, comprehensive defense of Biblical egalitarianism that I've read. Very thorough, so don't bother if you want easy answers. This is heavy stuff, but it gets to the root of things. Must be read with an open mind.
Tracy
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was pivotal in reconciling my faith with my identity. It helped answer questions that I've had growing up and corrected some falsehoods that other writers had imposed on others.
Tom Wideman
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very helpful for me as I sought to make my way through the gender issue of the church. Scot McKnight's "Blue Parakeet" was even more helpful.
Terry
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This may challenge your thinking about women's roles.
Andrew Howard
Evangelical feminism to the core. The author clearly misunderstands Biblical patriarchy/male headship.
Elaine
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Top notch analysis and discussion on roles in the church.
Pamela Radell
Sep 02, 2015
Laura Pegram
Mar 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • How I Changed My Mind about Women in Leadership: Compelling Stories from Prominent Evangelicals
  • Paul, Women and Wives: Marriage and Women's Ministry in the Letters of Paul
  • Men and Women in the Church: Building Consensus on Christian Leadership
  • Finally Feminist: A Pragmatic Christian Understanding of Gender
  • What Paul Really Said About Women: The Apostle's Liberating Views on Equality in Marriage, Leadership, and Love
  • Slaves, Women, and Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis
  • Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity Without Hierarchy
  • Why Not Women?: A Fresh Look at Scripture on Women in Missions, Ministry, and Leadership
  • Half the Church: Recapturing God's Global Vision for Women
  • God and the Rhetoric of Sexuality
  • Ten Lies the Church Tells Women: How the Bible Has Been Misused to Keep Women in Spiritual Bondage
  • Kingdom Journeys: Rediscovering the Lost Spiritual Discipline