Start by marking “Red Harvest (The Haunted Hollow Chronicles Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Red Harvest (The Haunted Hollow Chronicles Book 1)

Red Harvest

(Haunted Hollow Chronicles)

In the epic tradition of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Jonathan Maberry, a chilling new masterwork of small-town evil, centuries-old traditions, and newly-risen terror

RED HARVEST

Every year at harvest time, something strange and wonderful happens in the sleepy farm community of Ember Hollow. It comes alive. Truckloads of pumpkins are sent off to be carved into
Published September 4th 2018 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Red Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Harvest

Start your review of Red Harvest (The Haunted Hollow Chronicles Book 1)
Carrie
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Red Harvest by Patrick C. Greene seems to be the first book in the Haunted Hollow Chronicles. This one is a horror story set in a small town right at the Halloween season so with Halloween coming up I thought it would be a perfect read to get into the fall mood, however I wasnt quite the fan I thought I would be.

Red Harvest takes place in the small town of Ember Hollow that lives for the Halloween season and goes all out on the activities every year. From the multitude of jack o lanterns, the
Cameron Chaney
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, adult, series, 2019
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. A full video review is coming soon.

Yikes. This one has some low ratings. Reading through a few of the reviews, I feel like many readers picked up Red Harvest by Patrick C. Greene expecting one thing, but instead got a gory, trashy Halloween slasher with supernatural elements, one with far too many beheadings. I, on the other hand, thought Red Harvest had just the right amount of beheadings. In fact, it was just as trashy as I
Irene
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Just a quick note before my review*
If you downloaded an advance copy of this book before July 26 you should delete it and download the new file. Formatting errors have been fixed.

I love any and all things Halloween related, so give me a rock and roll horror story set in a town that is pretty much the Halloween capitol of the planet and I'm all over it. I loved Stuart and his relationship with his punk rocker brother Dennis, who is recently sober and has moved back in with Stuart and his mom
Marie
Aug 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unforuantely as much as I wanted to really experience a creepy Halloween feel by reading this book, it did nothing for me as I had a hard time figuring out what was really going on. The chapters of the book are very disjointed and the sentences run together in areas, making the book not enjoyable.

Normally that doesn't deter me from reading the story, but when chapter after chapter continues to be like that, then it becomes a struggle to read. I want to enjoy my books that I read not drown in
Selena
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received a free e-copy of Red Harvest (The Haunted Hollow Chronicles) by Patrick C. Greene from Goodreads for my honest review.

I was really excited to win this book because I love Halloween and absolutely love a creepy book. Sadly, I couldn't get into this book. It was more gore than creepy and the characters were very odd.

I do appreciate the opportunity to read and review this book, it just wasn't for me.
Catriona
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book was scary, thrilling, and touching all at once. Sorry to the big guys, but this author has out-Kinged, out-Koontzed, and out-Straubed every modern horror novel I've read in a long time.

Halloween is always celebrated in a big way in this small town, but this year will top them all. I won't give spoilers, but Mr. Green has carved us a glorious jack-o-lantern that will have a much longer shelf life than the squash kind.

Horror fans, get your copy of Red Harvest and be prepared to stay up
 Reading Reindeer
Review: RED HARVEST by Patrick C. Greene
(The Haunted Hollow Chronicles Book One)

Set in the Appalachian hills of Western North Carolina, this novel of extreme horror is the first in a continuing series, invoking both Supernatural elements and the horrifying evils in the human hearts. There are some stomach-churning moments and revelations in this compelling story, but what most impressed me was the characters, their delineation, and the emotional impacts they cause on each other. I'm quite
Joyce
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars

This book has a creepy bad guy and outlines his horrific deeds. It is fairly well written and plotted. I, too, had trouble on my Kindle with missing words and empty quotation marks (as another reader said). It certainly wasnt as classy as a Stephen King novel, but I think he and Dan Simmons have ruined most other horror writers for me.

I mildly enjoyed the book, but it passed relatively slowly for me, and that I did not enjoy. I usually get a better quality of writing from books I request
Zoe's Human
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Get ready to read because the pacing of Red Harvest is relentless. It's a creative story for lovers of Halloween and horrorfull of energy and grisly goreand yet, underneath all the gruesomeness, there are some important and morally complex ideas about our society. The ending is an absolute blowout scene, and Mr. Greene's inobtrusive yet excellent prose lets it play out in your mind like a film.

Pro-Tip: Don't skip the Author's Note at the beginning of this one. It is short and relevant.

I received
Chris
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
First in a proposed series from this newer author, part of Kensington Press's outstanding Lyrical line.

Ember Hollow, a sleepy bucolic town nestled in the Carolinas, lives to celebrate Halloween with a huge Fall Harvest Parade and even the local church pastor gets involved. A local rockabilly punk band that's up and coming will play live atop the old town theater and everyone looks forward to the festive holiday. Well, almost everyone. There's Ruth, an ultra religious church member with dark
TJ✨
Aug 09, 2018 marked it as never-finished
This was a DNF for me I got in about 50% into the book and I couldn't find myself caring. No matter how much I tried I just couldn't get into it and premise was so good, why couldn't I get into it dang it? Sigh!

Patricia Romero
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ember Hollow takes Halloween to a whole other level! Parades, music, and this year something even more sinister.

The premise of this book was good. The execution was not. I spent most of the book filling in missing words and trying to decide who was speaking. I almost gave up half-way in because it was more work than pleasure.

I would have liked more background on the characters. Unfortunately this was more of a guess what the next word could/should be.

Netgalley/ September 4th 2018 by Lyrical
BookNerdsBrainDump
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short Take: Addiction is terrifying.

(*Note - I received a free copy of this book for review.*)

Yes, I KNOW that its still August (its so crazy-hot that my buns are perma-toasted) but today, I have an extra-special Halloween treat for yall. Try, if you can, to imagine a world thats pretty much our own. It has the same traditions, music, and movies, but with a few teensy little changes - cell phones and computers arent used, ghosts and psychics are real, and OH!! My darling nerdlings, the nerds
Jasmine
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Red Harvest is a spooky horror novel that will most likely make you feel a bit rage-y at times. It's the first book in the Haunted Hollow Chronicles, and it's set in a small town called Ember Hollow. Ember Hollow is known for it's Halloween celebrations and pumpkin harvesting. But this year, it'll be known for something darker and more evil than any of those small-town folk could have ever imagined.

There are a lot of characters to follow in this story, and they all have something going on.
Dez Nemec
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, ng-2018, horror
I feel like this book had lots of potential - tainted candy, murderous child, haunted sanctuary, deranged church lady - but it didn't quite deliver. I read it all, but I just couldn't find myself caring much about what happened, which is a shame because I love Halloween. And it probably didn't help that I have an older copy with the missing words and quotes.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Tobyann Aparisi
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads (Kindle version) for an honest review.
I read a book very similar to this one that I purchased from the author himself (the Pumpkin House by Chad P. Brown). This story though similar is different and very well told. This story will keep you held in it's grip till the very last word is read. A haunting story that is not for the weak or faint.
Alex Ganon
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bear-hill-review
ATTENTION reader. I am in a mood! Please take note of reason that follows.

A person needs to be careful when openly comparing themselves to those determined by the general public to be great.

In fact, dont do it.

As stated, thats for that general public to declare.

Same goes for storytelling. If the first page declares that what I am about to read will be comparable to works by King and Koontz, I have no choice but to measure by that. Literally zero choice!

You put those names in my head. After all,
Finley
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received an ebook copy of this book for free through a giveaway hosted on GoodReads.

Much like the events that occur within, this book is one which was good in planning, then erupts into chaos at its climax. It tells of the Halloween events in the town of Ember Hollow, a town in which the spooky holiday is integral to its identity. While helping his older brother prepare for the chance of a lifetime for his band, Stuart finds himself finally confessing his crush on the strange not-quite-new
cola_bear
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, horror
3 Stars

Light Spoilers!

I'm doing this review a bit differently than my others. While I enjoyed the concept of this book, the errors in it keep me from giving it the higher rating it actually deserves. I would have given this book a 2.5 Stars, but it got extra points for the old school horror feel that I happen to love. Here are bullet points of the good and bad:

The Good:

*This book definitely is in the vein of the Halloween movies (for several reasons). I loved that.

*That creepy feeling was solid
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Cranky Stars

What do you get when you combine horror punk, a killer ala Michael Meyers and the parade scene from "Animal House"? Red Harvest!

Ember Hollow is known for its annual Pumpkin Parade, with everybody in town getting into the Halloween spirit. This year on Devil's Night the local punk band, Chalk Outlines, is performing during the parade. Little do they know that there is a true horror coming.

Stuart Barcroft is the younger brother of the band's lead singer and tries to impress his
Jessica Bronder
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Ember Hollow is a small town that goes to the extreme when it comes to Halloween. But this year there is more than normal. This town harbors some people with some serious issues. But as good or bad as those issues are, this Halloween is going to turn them on their head in the most disturbing kind of way.

So this town is small and secluded and similar to any little town that doesnt have computers or cell phone and the paranormal is true and strong. We have a musician that is trying to make his
Jessica Belmont
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read Red Harvest around this time of year, because what better time of year to read a horror, Halloween novel than now? The concept of this one is really compelling, and is what had me wanting to read this one.

One thing I really enjoyed about this novel was the town, Ember Hollow. Its a small town with a dark, pagan history behind it. With the small town-like traditions, and small town people, it was set up really well, and it felt familiar. Everyone thinks they know everyones
Ashley Rich
The idea of this read had me excited to check it out, but unfortunately, I couldn't get into it. Some of the characters are well crafted, but because there are so many of them, there are more than a few that are flat and cookie-cutter like. Also, with so many "heads in the game", it was near impossible to keep them all straight, often leaving me feeling as though I missed a big reveal or story punchline, thus losing story impact.
There was one plotline I was extremely interested in (Everette and
Heather A
Calling it quits on this one.

I really wanted to like it as it had everything I like in small town horror. Characters from the normal to the weird, a sense of community in a place where there's history, everyone's known each other a local Halloween tradition, a family with a creepy secret. It's clear something is going to go very wrong very quickly.

I'm losing patience with the story, there's too many characters to keep track of and it seems like too much going on. My other major problem with
Vanessa
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
There was a scary element to this book. But too many. A haunted church. Laced candy. A bizzaro child. Two main characters hellbent on killing everyone on their own accord. It was disjointed.

However, I will say that I hope the story with Candace and Stuart unfold!!! I love the start of their innocent kinship. And Ill keep the ghost in the church too!

During some parts I felt like I was reading a Halloween 2 movie episode. The one with the haunted masks.
Brenda Hymes
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Happy Holloween

This book has a lot of characters and a LOT going on. I never really understood all that was going on but kept on reading hoping it would all come together. I understand there was a new version that corrected the formatting after I finished the book. I'm not sure if that would have helped me or not.
Thanks to GoodReads for the book in return for an unbiased review.
Becky Stephens
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
I was looking forward to reading this book as part of my spooky October, but I was disappointed.

I felt like the story just took too long to build up, and I nearly gave up several times, but I didn't want all that time to have gone to waste.

Something that bugged me was how many times the author used "till." I know it's probably just me, but it annoyed me. What's wrong with "until," or even "'til?"
Kaili  Nerdy)
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, shifters
I have mixed feelings about this book. I love the horror and slasher themes to this book but I really feel like the point of views should've been cut back. It wasn't easy to keep track of everyone. And there are a few things I wish was explained (unless I missed it when reading the book). Other than that I actually really enjoyed the book. Kind of makes me think of the movie Halloween.
Teresa
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
A horribly written book. Crap story and trying the figure out anything is impossible.

I generally love scary Halloween stories but this is not scary, and the religious Ruth, makes it laughable.

I am not sure when this story was supposed to take place but, daddy-o, hip, dude, gene simmons being an old geezer and hep cats do not all belong in one era.

Sad and a waste of time.
Troy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable throwback horror novel. Great dialogue, great action scenes and gore. Recommended.

• Shepherd's Warning (The Elders Book 1)
  • Plague Pit
  • Hometown
  • Terminal
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • The Damned (Sinister Spirits Book 3)
  • Sinkhole
  • The Reddening
  • Dark Halls
  • Black Friday
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • Goat Dance
  • Mosquito Man
  • The Netherwell Horror
  • Something's Alive on the Titanic
  • Stay Away
  • Violet

Some dark serendipity plopped a young Patrick Greene in front of a series of ever stranger films-and experiences-in his formative years, leading to a unique viewpoint. His odd interests have led to pursuits in film acting, paranormal investigation, martial arts, quantum physics, bizarre folklore and eastern philosophy. These elements flavor his screenplays and fiction works, often leading to