Start by marking “Barron's GRE” as Want to Read:
Barron's GRE

Barron's GRE

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  338 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
This 17th edition of Barron's GRE manual reflects recent Graduate Record Exams and presents six full-length model exams with all questions answered and explained. Tests are similar to recent actual GREs in length, question types, and degree of difficulty. The manual also reviews all GRE test topics: antonym, analogy, and sentence-completion questions, reading comprehension ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Barron's Educational Series (first published 2000)

Vi
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prep book helped me immensely by giving me a structure to start studying, in conjunction with the class I attended (that required this book). Once I started going through this book, the momentum pushed me to seek other resources, most of them free and readily available online (from ETS, the test administrator, in fact).

Besides reviewing the issue and argument topic pools on ETS, I am also using some of the materials from Manhattan Prep, such as some of the individual topic books and the 5 l
Shersta
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, the start and finish dates are not typos. This book is so cram-packed with vocabulary, math reviews, and testing strategies that it took me months to get through it all! At times, I felt like pulling my hair out over the difficulty of the practice questions (mostly quantitative), but after taking the GRE I can say that they were right on target as far as the difficulty level of the questions I saw on the test. I would have like more sample tests (the copy I had was a library copy, and missin ...more
Cain
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very useful in helping me prepare for the GRE. The vocabulary list is extensive (~4,000 words and definitions). The math review was very well explained, although a couple of topics were left out (e.g. standard deviation and distribution). I was so pleased with this book that I don't need it anymore. Hooray!
Ro Givens
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
(I actually had the 2009/18th version.) This prep book provides a ton of information. 3000+ words, a diagnostic test plus 2 practice tests, multiple section reviews, a math overview to rival many high school texts books. I only had a week to study, so I was a little overwhelmed by the information in this book. I think it's definitely important to use the Barron's verbal flash cards (sold separately) along with the verbal unless you want (and have time to) create a ton yourself. This book definit ...more
Lamadia
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, reference
It was a really comprehensive review and the right length for a three month prep. I did find two big errors on surface area equations (they gave completely incorrect equations) but otherwise it helped a lot. There were math concepts I don't remember ever having learned and I was able to do them on the exam. I wish it had included standard deviation though. I had two questions on my GRE test about standard deviation and I couldn't remember anything about it.
Hosein
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fabulous, it made me well prepared for the real test. Although the writing section seem a little insufficient but in overall it is useful and the No. 1 choice. A model test exist at the end of the book that has a indeed hard quantitative questions. Don't lose your self-confidence the real exam is rational in their questioning your skills.
Vahid
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally! The vocabulary presented in this book are completely formal and academic . These words can be handy when writing papers and essays ....
. My favorite words from this book are; abeyance , adulterate , megalomania , and precarious ... .
Johnny
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post-Thoughts:
This is a very well organized study guide but not exactly balanced. Oppose to the other study guide I used, The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test With CDROM , the background information is superb in explaining every minuscule features such as describing where the calculator on the computer-based exam is located, how is it different from a TI-83 calculator, and how many breaks you get in between each section when taking the exam.

I mentioned that the study guide was u
Audrey
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not for everyone. A full 300 pages deal with the math section, at the expense of the verbal and essay sections. Apparently more people need help with math? The chapters on the essay section contained some helpful info: links to the actual essay topic pool from ETS, tips on what the readers are looking for, suggestions for other resources. The practice tests and review problems in the book were helpful, but the CD practice tests still have some bugs. Sections to read, followed by a question that ...more
Anittah
Jul 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to score in the 50th percentile
I spent so much cognitive load during the second Barron's practice test wondering why the correct answer wasn't an option (turns out I was right; they screwed up) that for the first time in the history of my standardized test taking, my verbal was higher than my math. WTF.

I've already found two glaring errors in one of their practice tests and a third error in their section on analogies. Game over. How can I confidently prepare for the GRE's using Barron's when I keep tripping over their mistake
Ariel
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barron's devotes quite a bit of space to math review, which I think is a positive thing overall. It also has detailed tactics for the writing section, which I found useful. While I consider myself a good writer, standardized test essays are a different game.

While I thought the book was well done, I didn't give this 5 stars because I didn't see the improvement I had hoped to after working my way through the entire book. The diagnostic test at the front of the book placed me at 161V and 156M. I h
Kristin
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good test practice book. Five practice tests in the book, a CD with yet another practice test, a dictionary with practice questions for each of 50 alphabet segments, etc. If anything, it might have a bit too much information to digest. I used this as a supplement to a simpler practice book I also checked out from the library. I found the analytical writing section advice to be a bit lacking. I'm sure there's more they can tell you than make sure you can spell and use philosophical ...more
Dusty
Jun 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I consider this three-star rating an average. The first half of this book -- which treats the verbal section of the exam -- is quite good. The second half -- the part that deals with the math/quantitative section -- is not so good, especially for a test-taker who may need more than a one- or two-sentence explanation for certain problems.

Tomorrow morning is the test. Do I feel prepared? Yikes...
Lobna sameer
its good as a source of practice question, however its not balanced. meaning it has a very strong focus on the quantitative section and completely ignores the writing section.
you'll need something else on the side when you study from this book. Magoosh videos were a lot better in explaining problem solving strategies
note that there were around 2 mistakes in the final practice tests so be careful there.
Arianne
Dec 19, 2007 rated it liked it
This book is useful for: 1) vocabulary improvement (it has a larger list of words than other prep books). 2) for review if you need to brush up on basic math skills. For good or bad, it goes over the concepts and how to actually work out the problem, versus other prep books that show you how to pick out the answer most quickly from a multiple chooice question.
Sandra Clark
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm taking the GRE in February. So far, I'm finding this book very useful. The math section assumes a lot of general knowledge, so an additional math help book is probably needed by people like me.

I don't think the CD-ROM version of this book is worth it - there are plenty of other sample tests for free online.
Michelle
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had great tips for test taking scenarios and what to expect when taking the GRE.
However, I was going over the math chapters in more detail and quite often I find simple typos and mistakes that lead to different answers than what I or other people have concluded to. Which makes me doubt the validity of the test problems and thus my own ability.
Sommer
Aug 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I cannot say I enjoyed this book. Rather, after four years of studying in undergrad, I am putting the GRE on hold for the moment. I needed a break! But it did the trick, I got about ten solid hours of GRE studying in. I quit for now, lack of motivation I suppose. Good Luck to those wanting to tackle the test, you will get there!!
Diana
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone studying for the GRE (duh)
Recommended to Diana by: Elisa
Shelves: 2010, school-psych
I thanked my lucky stars for this book after walking out the GRE with my scores. In just 3 weeks of studying after taking the diagnostic practice test, my verbal score went up 90 points and my math score went up 170 points. Highly recommended!
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great guide for test takers. The math sections is detailed and well-organized. It's a great source for revision and learning quick tricks and, sometimes, new concept. I'd recommend it to anyone who's planning to take the test.
Kenny
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
More practice tests (5) than the 2009 version (2) and, aside from cosmetic changes, looks to have the same content. Very extensive vocabulary (35,000) + 50 antonym/synonym quizzes of 10 MC questions, compared to Princeton Review (<10,000 words) and only 4 quizzes
Mike
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Lots of errors and poorly organized -- it's good for reading straight through, but it's hard to find specific information. Lots of good practice problems and comprehensive math review. Only a fraction of the tips were that useful to me (either they were incredibly obvious or I disagreed with them).
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the whole thing, and my score went up vastly! I'm pretty terrible at standardized tests, but using this book got my GRE score up to my school's standards. Whew!
Amina Ahmed
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all GRE aspirants
Barrons is good for the following reasons:
1. an exhaustive word list,
2. 4 model paper tests,
3. sufficient math prep with tests at the end of each math topic.
Abnoos
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Difficulty level is rather close to the real exam. But the creaking techniques are dumb!
Kate
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I passed! So, yeah. I can't compare it to any other GRE books.
Melissa
Apr 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ugh. for when i took the gre for the 1st time.
Billy Cyr
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What the fuck a Chinese downhill?
Brianna Soloski
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you can only afford one study guide, make it this one. It's a comprehensive overview of everything on the test, with an emphasis on the math.
Heba
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome book ,, helped me a lot

and ya happily I passed xD
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
barron' gre 1 3 Aug 10, 2011 01:06AM
barron' gre 1 2 Aug 10, 2011 01:06AM
  • Cracking the GRE
  • Graduate Admissions Essays: Write Your Way into the Graduate School of Your Choice
  • Elements of Ecology
  • The Ultimate French Review and Practice: Mastering French Grammar for Confident Communication
  • Essential Words for the GRE
  • Molecular Biotechnology: Principles and Applications of Recombinant DNA
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Travel Writing: See the World. Sell the Story.
  • Vocabulary for the College Bound Student
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • Fun with Maths and Physics : Brain Teasers Tricks Illusions
  • TOEFL iBT. Internet-Based Test 2006-2007 (Barron's How to Prepare for the Toefl Test of English As a Foreign Language (Book Only))
  • 1100 Words You Need to Know
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference: The Definitive Reference
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2011: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • Life-Span Human Development