Start by marking “The Lies I've Told (By The Bay, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lies I've Told (By The Bay, #3)

The Lies I've Told

(By The Bay #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
From USA Today bestselling author J.L. Berg comes a brand new By the Bay stand-alone novel...

Everything was going according to plan...

After years of working my way up the corporate ladder, it was finally my time to shine. I was about to receive the promotion of a lifetime.

But just like that, my life was destroyed with a single career crushing email.

Now, I am headed back h
Published June 4th 2018 by JL Berg, LLC (first published May 25th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Lies I've Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lies I've Told

Hanne
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Lies I’ve Told is the third novel in the By The Bay series and it’s my favorite of the series so far. It’s even one of my favorite books by JL Berg! This book is sweet, emotional, beautiful, unique and romantic. I couldn’t stop reading. I loved it from cover to cover. The epilogue was perfect and beautiful.

Aiden is an artist. He’s becoming a famous one, but then he gets some devastating news and he needs an escape. Someone wants him to create something for a little island. Aiden goes to the
Carvanz
Oh my heart!!! This was such an amazing, beautiful, heart wrenching read! I absolutely loved every single moment of it!

Millie gave up on her dreams in order to help push others toward their aspirations.

description

In the process, she’s lost so much of herself and what she truly wants. She returns home to Ocracoke broken in a way she never would have imagined.

Aiden has been given news that will alter his future. Living in New York, he’s tried to honor the memory of a loved one by dedicating his life to his
J.L. Berg
May 11, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It couldn’t get much worse than this...

That was the lie I told myself when I was handed the devastating test result that effectively ended my art career. The day I hopped on a plane to take a commission for a piece I probably would never be able to finish.

The day the universe decided to introduce me to her.

I’d never been one to believe in love at first sight, but the moment I laid eyes on Millie McIntyre, I became a believer in all of it. True love, happily ever afters. Every bull shit fairy tal
AJ
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it

Wow, I loved this book! A gorgeous British hero, a feisty heroine and a sweet and sexy romance that is functional and swoony, with a heartfelt and emotional twist that makes this a really special read. Bringing us back to the island of Ocracoke and the fantastic bunch of characters that have been introduced in this series – though this could be read as a standalone – this was a great little read, and I loved it.

Millie is the sister of the heroine from book #1 of this series, The Choices
Heather andrews
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aiden knows how to goad Millie, “well, a guy has to eat.” She muttered obscenities all the way to the car as I followed close behind, trying not to laugh." Millie very much appreciates when her man walks around half naked, “something wrong?” I turned to see a very sweaty, very sexy Aiden standing in the doorway. He’d just come in from the patio, and I smiled, happy that the shirt he’d left there was still absent from his body." Millie's mom tends to catch her and her man in awkward situations, " ...more
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Based on the title of the newest book in J.L. Berg’s By the Bay series, I knew that I was heading into an emotionally charged journey - one that would take time to understand the main characters’ respective pasts and what their hidden truths and their concealed secrets would mean in the present and if any kind of future could be built between them when it’s unclear if they truly know one another given the lies they’ve not only told to others but perhaps even believe themselves.

Millie McIntyre a
Vanessa (nessreads)
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
*ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review*

4.5 "Patience and Love" Stars!!!

When I found out that Millie was going to get her own book in the By the Bay series, I couldn't wait. I was intrigued to say the least. I needed to know more about her and know her story. And this book definitely did not disappoint.

Millie has always had dreams of designing her own clothes. But instead of perusing her dream, she's helping others pursue theirs. And just when she thinks she's about to have an oppo
Bookgasms Book Blog
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missy
So, I read The Lies I’ve Told over the weekend and I am still trying to come up with the words to articulate just how much I loved this story. Seriously, I’ve been hooked on this amazing By the Bay series since book one The Choices I’ve Made, and have been waiting for Millie’s story since then. And whoa, who knew I’d find myself with a new favorite couple, but I just absolutely adore everything about Millie and Aiden.

Their romance isn’t easy—they’re both hiding some truths, some really big truth
Flo Grugel
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to the By The Bay series. I love how JL Berg manages to weave her stories seamlessly between books. Aiden and Milly where made for eachother and I was rooting for them to find their hea and for Aiden to overcome the obstacles in his way.
5 star- great addition
K.  Ramjohn
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully-written story. I absolutely love it. The Lies I've Told is the third book in the By The Bay series by author J.L. Berg and it will grab you and have hooked until the end.
Millie and Aiden, two complex, well developed characters will find a place in your heart and you will be rooting for these two throughout the entire story. With both of their life seemingly crashing down around them, these two find their way to the island of Ocracoke and then to each other.
This story was emo
Jenny
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Remember, I rate by how engaging the story is and I read this book in one day. It’s a heartwarming book about fighting for the love you deserve and fighting for the one you love. I appreciate that this author doesn’t make it easy on her heroes and heroines. They have to do a bit of work on themselves to get their happily ever afters, but it works out.
* A review copy was provided by the author for the Blog Tour *

~ 5 Crunch or Melt Stars ~

The Lies I’ve Told has had my interest piqued since it was announced. I just had to know what the secrets were going to be that Millie and Aiden were hiding.

I am glad to say I wasn’t disappointed in this story at all. This, like The Scars I Bare, was another emotional ride for me. I was happy, sad, and angry throughout this whole book. I will say I did end up with a HUGE smile on my face after the epilogue
Jackie  Kiwibooknerd
5 stars photo: Rate 5 Stars Rate5.gif

Advanced Readers Copy Courtesy of Author...:)

Poignant, moving, touching, affecting, powerful, stirring, emotive, heart-rending, heartbreaking, heart-warming, soul-stirring, uplifting, impassioned......to name just a few synonyms that describe this beautiful book that I have just finished reading....

I absolutely adored Millie and Aiden's story and to say that the author has done a fantastic job does not do this book justice. She truly outdid herself and this is without a doubt my fave in the se
Ana Rita
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dayum.... I was so mad the day this book arrived. But don't get this the wrong way. I was mad with other things and let me just say that when I saw this cover I was instantly hooked. Lol. No more sadness... But hey... How could it? That V is my undoing.
J. L. Berg had managed to stole my heart with her precious books and I was beyond happy to read a new book. Her writing is beautiful, sweet and heartfelt with a few bumps on the road... get ready...
The Lies I've Told is her latest release and it
Lisa
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Lies I've Told is the third installment of - and a great addition to - the By the Bay series by J.L. Berg. It is the story of Millie McIntyre, who we previously met in the first two books of the series, and sculptor Aiden Fisher. Circumstances in each of their lives lead Millie and Aiden to Ocracoke at the same time. Millie is returning home to the island after losing the career that she's dreamed of for so long. Meanwhile, Aiden has just received a devastating health diagnosis that will c ...more
Shasta Hope
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Voluntarily Reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book!

J.L. Berg continues to detonate her stories and send ashes our way sprinkled fairy dust. This novel was captivating and enthralling at every turn. I couldn't get enough of this book!

Millie returns home to the small island town of Ocracoke in North Carolina. From the hussle and bussle of Miami and other famous cities to do a favor for her family by watching over the Inn. However, this time is also a favor to herself by allowing herself
Mary at USAT's HEA
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
J.L. Berg continues her By the Bay series with the third, stand-alone book, The Lies I’ve Told, and it’s another phenomenal addition to a fantastic series. Neither Aiden nor Millie are looking for love when they find themselves temporarily on the small island town of Ocracoke, North Carolina, but something powerful and effortless ignites between them almost instantaneously after they meet. Both have complicated lives that are in transition, and they attempt to resist their attraction and burgeon ...more
Suzanne
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read all the books in this series so far, and this one is by far my favorite. There is just something about how this story progressed and how two such broken people in different ways come together and create something so stunning that it leaves you breathless. I have always loved Millie. Right from the start, I loved her spunk and sass and her drive! Then when things hit the fan, I honestly could not blame her for taking the route that she did to tuck tail. Enter Aiden. Oh my stars what a ...more
Konny
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Lies Ive Told by J.L. Berg is the third book in the By The Bay Series. Every book can be read as a standalone, for better understanding I recommend to read the books in order. The previous books are The Choices Ive Made - Jake and Mollys story; and The Scars I Bare - Dean and Coras story.

Aiden Fisher is a successful artist, he could be on top of the world, but fate has a way to be cruel. Hes on his way to Ocracoke to repair one of his statues - a memorial for the ferry accident and its victi
Anna
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this story a lot!!
What a heart wrenching one...
No cheating, both not virgins, LOL... Its pretty new around here.
The hero did push away his woman, but he grovel just right.
I will not give more spoilers, but i repeat, i liked this one a lot!!!
Trudy Dowling
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not gonna lie, this story was magnificent!!!! OMG!!! I am suffering from an emotional book coma. Aiden's story had me bawling. J.L. Berg had my emotions all over the place. LOVED IT!!!!!!!

I will confess, I am an obesessed fan of the authors books. They always make me feel so much more that I though possible. Her characters are so easy to love. The story is realistic. The story building has me falling into the book, not wanting to leave. I find myself reading deep into the night not wanting the
Monica
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A girl who gives up on her dreams, someone I know very close and to help others and their aspirations, yeah when I ever learn...

Some runaway for a better future.
Some get away to forget the problems.

But we all know running away won’t solve those problems and they are like boomerangs until we can break the circle.

We loose so much of ourselves it’s really hard to get again on track. Some of us think we’re not worthy of any talents. But we feel safe when we’re home.

We can’t do this alone, this coup
Books Laid Bare
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From an exceptional author comes not only a fabulous addition to her “By The Bay” series but also an emotionally charged, beautifully complicated read.
The flow was faultless, the tempo and tone worked perfectly and the characterization was absolutely on point. With just enough angst to be interesting, there was little not to like about this the third in the series.
I couldn’t help but find myself cheering from the sidelines for both Millie and Aiden, I got that they each had their issues and that
Cassie
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Simply Amazing Stars!

I can always count on Jennifer to write a story that invokes a range of emotions in a beautifully written little package...and Aiden and Millie's story was no different. Millie has lost herself through the years, even though she did well and seemed happy. Aiden found himself through the his art, but is now faced with a life changing condition that he does not want to deal with. Fate brought these two together - they are fun and sexy, strong and sweet. This is truly a sto
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aiden and Millie's story intrigued from start to finish. From book 1, Millie was a strong secndary character; an independent woman who seemed too perfect in her fashionista, little sister role. As Millie is pulled (or...as she runs) back to the wondrous world of Orcacoke, I knew there was more to her to be revealed and I wasn't disappointed! From the moment she challenged Aiden, when she arrived to pick him up from the airport, I admired her. Her strength to rise above a career ending scandal an ...more
Michell Hall casper
J.L. Berg is destroying me piece by piece with this series.

The books in this series keep getting better and better and more heart wrenching. I was not expecting this book to hit me the way it did. Aiden and Millie will take you on a rollercoaster of emotions. This book was fun at times, sexy, and soul searcing. Berg did a great job writing this story it was beautifully written. My words won't do this book justice. Buy a copy and read it. I promise it is worth it.
Ruth McDonnell
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Come sail away to the island of Ocracoke once again! I absolutely loved Aiden and Millie! Aiden is the sculptor who created the memorial in town. Vandals destroyed it and he is commissioned to do another one. He is needing out of New York and away from his brother. So he arranges to have it done in Ocracoke. Millie comes to help her sister, Molly, while she is having her baby with Jake. She is running too. Both have secrets they are hiding. Can they find a safe haven with each other? Get ready f ...more
PFL
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Lies I’ve Told by JL Berg is the third story in the by the Bay Series, but can be read as a stand-a-lone. It tells the story of Aiden an artist and Millie whose career was recently ruined after an indiscretion in the office.

Millie and Aiden both end up in Ocracoke, N. Carolina at the same time. Millie to help her sister who just gave birth and Aiden to recreate a sculpture that has been damaged. The connection is immediate and there is an instant attraction.

Both are weary of a relationship
Katy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been lucky enough to Beta read this, and then read an ARC. I love this story. Absolutely love it. Aiden being a transplant from the UK to the US, just like me, easily became a favorite. Millie, full of sass with a major addiction to junk food is a character most of us can relate to in one way or another!
Aiden, faced with news he doesn’t know how to handle, runs to Ocracoke to hide from the reality waiting to slap him in the face. Millie, having been dealt a harsh blow in her own life, retur
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you haven’t read J.L. Berg before, I’m here to offer you a bit of reassurance. Although ‘The Lies I’ve Told’ is the third book in the By the Bay series, it is easily read as a stand alone novel. Please don’t let that #3 scare you away from giving this romance your immediate attention.

This is the story of Aiden Fisher and Millie McIntyre, two people that each suffer a life-changing jolt. The Prologue sets up the book so perfectly, I won’t even try …

“Somewhere, in the dead of night, in a small,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
J.L. Berg is the USA Today bestselling author of the Ready series, the Walls duet and the Lost & Found series. She is a California native living in the beautiful state of historic Virginia. Married to her high school sweetheart, they have two beautiful girls that drive them batty on a daily basis. When she's not writing, you will find her cuddled up, watching a movie with her family, obsessing ...more

By The Bay (4 books)
  • The Choices I've Made (By The Bay, #1)
  • The Scars I Bare (By the Bay, #2)
  • The Mistakes I've Made
“Jesus Christ, Millie,” he whispered. “I remember everything.”

“I remember every minute of that night. Every bloody second. And, when I look at you, I can’t help but want to pull you into my arms and make you relive it all, so you can know the misery I’ve been living for the past two days, knowing I’ll never have it again.”
1 likes
“I’m not giving up on you, Aiden Fisher,” she whispered, her lips quivering with meaning. “Not now, now ever.”
“I told you I couldn’t give you more,” I said, feeling like the worst kind of fraud. “I warned you to guard your heart.”
She smiled, moisture rimming her brilliant blue eyes. “It wasn’t mine to protect any longer,” she said.”
1 likes