Start by marking “Mammoth” as Want to Read:
Mammoth

Mammoth

The summer before her junior year, paleontology geek Natalie Page lands a coveted internship at an Ice Age dig site near Austin. Natalie, who’s also a plus-size fashion blogger, depends on the retro style she developed to shield herself from her former bullies, but vintage dresses and perfect lipstick aren’t compatible with prospecting for fossils in the Texas heat. But no ...more
Published November 6th 2018 by Turner Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mammoth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mammoth

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Aaaand the 2 star streak continues 😭 I’m SO bummed I didn’t love this. I thought it was going to be the body positive book of my dreams but it just ended up being a mess. No one talk to me while I mourn what I thought was going to be one of my favorite books of the year.

TW: fatphobic thoughts all over the place
Jessica
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, teen-novels
I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher (Turner Publishing) in exchange for an honest review.

This was a super fun and cute read!

I loved the unique point of view. A plus sized fashion blogger who loves paleontology is something we don’t see often. I enjoyed reading her view point and seeing the world through her eyes. It was a unique perspective that I found refreshing.

I enjoyed the little Look of the Day pictures and blog posts that are mixed in at the beginning of some cha
Kaya
This book is actual gold. Feminism, in the world of science, and on top of that plus-size rep? GIMME!

One thing YA needs more of are plus-size women and women in STEM featured in books of all genres, and Mammoth is one of the best examples I’ve ever seen of that!
I absolutely adored Natalie as a main character. After a horrible middle-school experience, she reinvents herself as Awesome Natalie, complete with a fashion blog peppered with paleontology fangirling. Of course, her “armor” doesn’t chan
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, bea-2018
*2.5 stars*

I have such conflicting thoughts on this one. Review coming soon!

For now, since I wish I had these before I started reading, here are some content warnings: fatphobic thoughts; fatphobic comments; restriction of eating; unwanted sexual advances (kissing, touching); self-harm
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Official comments: Nerds and fashionistas, rejoice: Natalie is the unapologetically awesome heroine we've all been waiting for! Fresh and fun, this story is a love letter to paleontology, a great example of women in STEM, and a victory for anyone who's ever wanted to change what they see in the mirror. I can't say it enough: this book is a must-read!

Unofficial comments: I fell hard and fast for this book. I was so excited to read it early thanks to the premise alone (hello, dino-loving nerd here
La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt
1.5 on the blog.

I really struggled with whether I was going to give this two or three stars. I had given it three stars, but after drafting my review I realized how extremely disappointing it was.

First thing was the barbecue element, more specifically... PORK barbeque. The idea that everyone thought pork was the most glorious food in the universe was shoved in the reader's face by being mentioned over and over and over again. I know Texas is known for barbeque, but that's not what this book is a
Sahitya
I can't describe how happy I was when I got approved for this ARC (which also happens to be my first one from Edelweiss+), because it's not everyday that we get plus size or science nerd heroines in YA, and this book had one who is both while also being a fashion blogger. It's such a unique combination and I had high hopes from it, and I am so glad to say that this didn't disappoint.

Natalie is a paleo geek who is very passionate about prehistoric animals and is quite excited about spending her s
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs, ya
Right before entering high school, Natalie underwent a transformation from Fat Nat to Awesome Natalie. Makeup and fashion became her armor, protecting her both physically and emotionally from the judgement of others. However, during her summer internship, she discovered she was more than the hair, clothes, and makeup, and she was awesome with or without it all.

• Pro: Natalie was driven, determined, and resilient. She was very likable and her exuberance for vintage clothing and paleontology made
Rachel Strolle
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. A whole lot of this is a glimpse into the head of high school/college-Rachel (and some current Rachel). And the ending made me smile so freaking hard. I'm all about stories about girls in STEM fields and all about stories about fat girls with a hell of a lot of ambition.

I will say, there are a *couple* of lines that really made me uncomfy. I'm hoping they got changed/removed between the manuscript I read and the final (and if the final doesn't show any change for those line
Lisa Mandina
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, something people may not know about me is that my college degree was a Bachelor of Science in Education with Earth Science as my Major and Biology as my Minor. I have always been a bit obsessed with dinosaurs and fossils. The release of the original Jurassic Park movie, well the book first, coincided with when I was taking some classes that were about fossils and such, and really got me very excited in being a paleontologist or something similar. My family could tell how much I loved it, and ...more
Laura (bbliophile)
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
I enjoyed Mammoth a lot and had an incredibly fun time reading it. I got sucked in from the first few words (or rather, the first drawing) and I never really had the desire to put it down. If I had had time I would have definitely read it in one sitting.

The main character in the book, Natalie Page, adores fashion (and often makes her own pieces) and has a huge passion for paleontology. The book starts off with her getting ready for her internship at an Ice Age dig site in Texas, and this interns
Bethany
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Are you looking for a book about plus-size fashion, body positivity, and women in STEM? Then look no further because Mammoth does a fantastic job of providing just that in a way that actually lived up to my hopeful expectations! An impressive debut from a smaller publisher, I was so excited to get my hands on an ARC of this and I really hope it makes its way into wider circulation! It deserves to be read.

Rising high school junior Natalie is a plus-size fashion blogger who
Levi van Zyl
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will be doing a video review on this! I'll link it soon!
Amy Risner
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books, 2018-arcs

ARC provided by Turner Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

When I heard this book is about boosting women in STEM and is all about paleontology, I knew I had to request this. While the writing and plot was more of a 3-star read for me, I found the subject matter very near and dear to my heart. So, sorry in advance if this gets a little personal!

Natalie is a plus-size fashion blogger with a passion for paleontology. She gets the opportunity to intern at a dig site (museum) in Austin, TX b
Cristina
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Note: I received an Uncorrected Proof/Advanced Copy of Mammoth from Turner Publishing Company, in exchange for my honest review.

With comedy, self-deprecation, and some thoughtful looks and internal struggles about appearances and confidence, Mammoth tells the story of Natalie Page, from her perspective. A size-20 teen who blogs about paleontology and fashion—a self-described “fossilista”—Natalie is a trend-setting young woman set on forging her way into STEM fields. Some of the messages about “b
K.
Trigger warnings: fatphobia holy wow. Also bullying and self-harm.

3.25 stars. So here's the thing: this was one of my most anticipated books for the second half of this year. I mean...a plus sized fashion blogger who's really into palaeontology? YES PLEASE. And for the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed this. The palaeontology side of things was solid. The romance was stinking adorable. Natalie's slow realisation that she'd poured so much of herself into her blog and her "armour" that she didn't k
Sam
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so, SO BEAUTIFUL!!! And everything I needed it to be, especially as a paleontologist-hopeful!!! This not only brings light to all the problems in the paleontology field, but also talks so much about what life is actually like when you're plus sized!! This is definitely one of my top 5 all time favorite books now, and everything bit of encouragement I needed to keep trying and to keep going in the paleontology field!!!
Lauren James
I'm trying to read as much YA about girls in STEM as possible (yainterrobang.com/list-stem-ladies/). This one features a girl going to a palaeontology summer internship. It's full of hijinks and romance and scandal, with some great points about women in STEM.
Carly Findlay
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Content warning: fat shaming and self harm

Did not finish.

I really wanted to love this book. Really wanted to love it. The premise of a fashion blogging palaeontologist was appealing. As a blogger, I love reading books about bloggers. And I was hoping for some body confidence.

But this didn’t live up to my expectations.

There was a lot of fat shaming - both internalised and external. Natalie shamed herself, avoided food, and also guessed others’ sizes. She also self harmed by flicking a hair el
Caroline
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
When I read books where characters continuously make poor choices, it irritates me and makes me feel bad for the character.

I did enjoy the romance and the science part of this book. I think there need to be more books with main enjoy science and learning. It was nice to see that in this one.

After finishing this book, I found that I was annoyed by the word 'awesome', it's said so much in this book that it starts to get tiresome.

I enjoyed this book, and thought the idea of mammoths was a cute them
Alexandra
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

My inner geek self and paleontologist enjoyed this book very much! It was funny emotional, filled with bones and discoveries! Natalie's story who arises to the occasion of making her own mark in the world was great, filled with humor and also the fear of making yourself visible. I also enjoyed how careful the plot was, how Natalie and the friends she made shared their love for paleontology, even when they realized that her idol
A.R. Hellbender
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an awesome book. I was intrigued by the premise of a girl in a male-dominated industry (an industry I haven’t read any novels about before, no less), and got so much more.
Natalie struggles with some serious self-esteem issues due to her body type, and she has reinvented herself to the point where a random guy who used to pick on her now has a crush on her because he doesn’t even know she’s the same person. But without her fancy clothes and makeup, she doesn’t feel comfortable.
Jada Grisson
Don't be fooled by the title of Baguchinsky's "Mammoth", it is nothing if not lighthearted. Narrator Natalie is a rising high school junior and paleontology geek who comes to rely on a persona of geek chic couture and constant stream of "awesomeness" to navigate high school as a fat girl. The majority of the story takes place during a summer internship at a fossil dig-site, with Natalie having to come to terms with the fact that the shiny veneer she's built for herself may not be able to withsta ...more
Stacy Fetters
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You can’t hide from assholes. You just have to learn to deal."

Women in Stem is a hard thing to come by and this puts women right where they belong. That is obviously at the top!

One thing I wasn’t expecting to happen was me wanting to learn more about Paleontology. It was fascinating about all the hard work they put into something that might not give them anything in return.

The story was one that instantly had me hooked. It flowed beautifully and the characters were instantly likable even if s
As Hot As Jack Frost
Feb 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
This sounds so fricking cool?? I love dinosaurs, y'all
Haley • Fangirl Fury •
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anticipated-2018
10/28: My review for Mammoth can be found here on Fangirl Fury:

8/22: So. Freaking. Good!!
ellison ☼
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
listen not that i thought i’d dislike this book but WOW i am SURPRISED
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do yourself a favor and check this out. Natalie is the smart, tenacious, and relatable heroine we've been waiting for!
Kate Vocke
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
SUCH a sweet book! I've been finding myself really enjoying YA books these days! They are definitely getting better and better, and the messages in some of them are so strong, and heartfelt, and important. THIS book, is not an exception to that. Jill Baguchinsky crafts an adorable story of self discovery and self love, and it's so easily relatable for anyone who has every not felt like they fit in, or lacked self-confidence. Thankfully, although Natalie has some major insecurities, and struggles ...more
Madison
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
What do you get when you cross fashion with palaeontology? Mammoth is a fun YA contemporary. This summer might be all about Ice Age creatures but it also heats up with a bit of romance and a touch of big discoveries, betrayals and cover ups. In the vein of Julie Murphy’s Dumplin’, Mammoth carries tones of self-acceptance and finding the confidence to embrace your inner (and outer) awesome.

When Natalie lands a summer internship at an Ice Age dig site she knows she is ready to embrace the awesome
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page numbers on paperback version 4 18 Mar 06, 2019 05:25AM
  • This Point Forward (The Rosewoods, #5)
  • My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
  • All the Walls of Belfast
  • Flotsam (Peridot Shift #1)
  • Dickensen Academy
  • All the Stars Denied
  • soft in the middle
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • TBH, Too Much Drama (TBH, #3)
  • Transcendent
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • The Possibility of Somewhere
  • Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • The Opposite of Innocent
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Something New
  • The Wakefield Legacy: The Untold Story (Sweet Valley High Magna Editions #2)
  • The Law of Finders Keepers (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #4)
Monster wrangler, muse therapist, reluctant Floridian, and just a little bit spooky. Winner of the Young Adult Fiction category in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest for her YA paranormal novel, Spookygirl: Paranormal Investigator.