Start by marking “Storybook Art: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of 100 Great Picture Book Illustrators” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Children can enjoy their favorite storybook illustrators in a new way by imitating their art with the 100 engaging and simple art projects included in this celebration of children's book illustrators. Featured are famous and award-winning storybook illustrators from the 1930s to present—Good Night Moon’s Clement Hurd, Corduroy’s Don Freeman, Olivia’s Ian Falconer, and more ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Chicago Review Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Storybook Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storybook Art

Wendy Roberts
I love MaryAnn Kohl's art books...this one has some great stuff in it....some of the books/illustrators are a bit more obscure than I was expecting. But many of the projects are positively brilliant! I'm looking forward to leading quite a few of them this year....combining children's lit and art equals a WONDERFUL day for me! And hopefully for the kids too!
Christy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschooling
What a great book for homeschoolers! I used this book in my co-op class and the kids just loved it! It's got a wonderful selection of stories that are colorful, engaging and fun. The projects are simple to understand and all the kids had a great time doing them. Several of them told me that this was their favorite class. Highly recommended!
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
Some good things in here, but somewhat misleading. Not everything is "in the style of" the particular illustrator. For example, we are told that "Love You Forever" (a dreadful book) uses pastel drawings, but the project we get is making a "loving family photo collage" using old magazines and photographs. Nothing about that is "in the style of" Sheila McGraw. It's more "inspired by this book." There are a number of other similar inconsistencies (May I Bring a Friend has you make a "friendship sti ...more
Sq.Hill Library
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erin, non-fiction
This would be a good book for teachers who want to really explore
a picture book author/illustrator. The art projects are mostly too involved for saturday storytime but would work in a classroom setting.
Beth
Aug 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty
Illustrator choices = great
Titles = questionable

Loved all the illustrators choosen and I could even think of a couple more. But I was scratching my head at some of the titles choosen to be a featured work. Maybe it is just a preference thing. Regardless there are some fun activity ideas.
Shelley
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
It is good if you want to focus on well known kid books and a project for each. (but I'd rather focus on classic art examples and specific art principles...not random projects).
Alicia
Ideas for art projects based on Classic Children's literature. Great idea!
Beth
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great connections to stories we read.
soraya
Oct 25, 2014
Kathy Fields
Jan 08, 2014
Sue Barlow
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2017
Melisa
Feb 09, 2015
Katie
Aug 28, 2017
MaryAnn Kohl
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Read more about me at my website if you wish.
http:// www. brightring. com
I write art books for children, parents, teachers, and homeschoolers.
And I love love love art for kids!!!

My blog: