Start by marking “Magic City” as Want to Read:
Magic City

Magic City

Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1921. A white woman and a black man are alone in an elevator. Suddenly, the woman screams, the man runs out, and the chase to capture and lynch him begins.

When Joe, a young man trying to be the next Houdini, is accused of rape, he must perform his greatest escape by eluding a bloodthirsty lynch mob. And Mary, the motherless daughter of a farmer who tries t
Published June 23rd 1998 by Harper Perennial (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Magic City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic City

Start your review of Magic City
Lynn Lipinski
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written story that takes many fictional liberties with the events leading up to the Tulsa Race Riots of 1921, one of the worst examples of racial violence in the United States. Parker Rhodes acknowledges as much in her afterword. She creates sweeping and empathetic back stories for the two real world protagonists: the black man and white woman whose interaction in an elevator in downtown Tulsa in May 1921 sparked racial rancor into vengefulness and propelled a mob to put the Negroes ...more
Tracey Cornwell
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fictional account of "the only U.S. city bombed from the air." An almost eighteen year old black man falsely accused of raping a white female elevator operator is the catalyst that triggers a race riot including the KKK, National Guard and residents of Deep Greenwood, a thriving African American community in 1920s Tulsa, OK. Although not without flaw it vividly captures life and attitudes at that time of both urban and rural living whites, as well as African Americans. A dichotomy within a dicho ...more
Robert
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
An important and eerily relevant book, 'Magic City' recreates the buildup and immediate aftermath of the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921, which saw a mob of whites methodically burn and destroy one of the nation's most affluent black neighborhoods. It was a disgraceful time in this country's history, a bloody crescendo of the post-reconstruction era. One of the key themes of the book is that racial tension can build into a powder keg - all it takes is a spark for the whole thing to go off. Let's hope th ...more
Paula
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a story based on true events that happened in the 1920's. It shows how hateful people can be.

Mary is a white woman whose mother died when she was young. She takes care of her father and brother on their farm as well as working as an elevator operator in a business office in town.

Joe is a likeable young black man, soon to turn 18 years old. He comes from a prominent black family in Greenwood, the black community. He prefers to shine shoes instead of going into the banking business with
Lindsey Sparks
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-and-read
Despite living in Oklahoma all my life I know very little about Black Wall Street and the Tulsa Race Riots. I knew they existed, but beyond that not much. This brought history to life, with the poor white girl and the wealthy black boy who end up in an elevator together and cause a riot. The characters aren't based on the real people, but the outcome is the same in the novel as it was in real life. This wasn't even 100 years ago! This would be a great book to do for a statewide read in 2021.
Karin Kwekkeboom
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Character development in this book was SO good. I read it in 3 days while working out on my treadmill. Good book for getting a feel for the Tulsa Race Massacre.
Carol Whetzel
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story...liked Dreamland Burning better.
Mrs. VanHorn
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Tulsa riots recreated with such emotional realism I couldn’t put it down. Thank you Jewell Parker Rhodes for writing this book!
Liza
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
The amount of hatred at the time is horrible. Joe, a black shoe shiner, gets in a whites only elevator to comfort the white female operator. To him she looked distraught and he wanted to put a smile on her face. Unbeknownst to him, she had just been raped by her fathers helper. At some point during this elevator ride, she screams and faints. Joe, knowing what this looks like, runs as soon as the elevator door opens. This is the beginning of the end of a whole town of people.

The scream of one whi
Ann
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jewell Parker Rhodes is the speaker this week at the Jackson District Library Word Wise Celebration. In preparation for her visit, I decided to read one of her books and chose "Magic City". Historical fiction isn't a genre I usually select but this book moved me.

The author took a terrible episode out of African American experience in this country and turned it into a story about people you came to care about. You'll wonder why you never heard about the Tulsa Race Riots of 1921 before but you'll
Victoria Law
Add to my list of Things I Never Learned in History Class: The Tulsa riots of 1921, the existence and destruction of Greenwood (the "Black Wall Street"). According to Rhodes' afterward,for over a year, the Black citizens of Greenwood were forced to live in internment camps and carry green cards (although I wasn't able to confirm this last bit after a quick search on-line, but perhaps a more savvy searcher or history buff can confirm/deny this?)
Sharonbrown
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
powerful story -- two people divided by race but forever joined by fate; white woman raped and black man accused; the event which all but erased (burned to the ground) Greenwood, Oklahoma (the Black Wall Street of its time) from the map; Tulsa still stands but Greenwood was never the same. The Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 still stands as a tragedy of monumental proportions and the history of it has been ignored since the 20's. Sad but true.
Amyplackowski
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those buried treasures. No one's heard of it, but it's a great read, and it's centered around a historical event no one knows about: the Tulsa, OK race riots in the 1920s. I first read it in college because the author came to Alma, but it's one of my favorite books. I've loaned it to several students, and they've all loved it, too.
Chris
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A fictional spin on the 1921 Tulsa Race Riots. Ms. Rhodes surely can write to ignite the sparks of hatred and fuel them into a fire of emotion. It made me wonder why we never hear about the race riots which killed over 300 people (mostly black). This is a sweeping tale that will not only tug at your heart, but nearly break it in two.
Kelley
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: engl-7213, 2011
What a fantastic fictitious account of one of the ugliest chapters of Tulsa history. Parker Rhodes has a Toni Morrison style with her magical realism. I recommend this book to those who enjoy historical fiction or would like a or some perspective on the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921.
Camille
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I had no intention of reading all night when I picked up this book, but I could not put it down. I also never expected to find the ghost of Harry Houdini speaking within the book, a voice that--along with this story of courage--haunts me still.
AKT
Dec 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Andy: 2.9 Peaks and a stick of dynamite.
Chad: 1.8 Peaks and a slow march up Mt. Zion.
Jim: 2.9 Peaks- Nigger, who do you think you are?
Scott: 2.5 Peaks swimming with Lena's bones.
Noel: Slept with Francine after Henry and Gabe--sloppy thir
John
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Until I can articulate my specific flavor of awe at the intimacy and immediacy of the writer/story/reader connection, I will have to quote someone else:

"Jewell Parker Rhodes's characters hover. They dance and sing and cry and whisper secrets in your ear." --Emerge
Cheri Cromartie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down! My emotions were all over the place!
Miranda
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The depth of emotions summoned from reading about a real event was overwhelming. For the ancestors-Ashe!
Dalton
May 16, 2011
Claudia
May 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love
  • Big Numbers (Austin Carr Mystery Book 1)
  • Valencia and Valentine
  • Whiskey Rebellion (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #1)
  • Sorry I Missed You
  • Whiskey, You're The Devil (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #4)
  • Taken (Elvis Cole, #15; Joe Pike, #4)
  • The Darkest Legacy (The Darkest Minds, #4)
  • Little Darlings
  • Whiskey for Breakfast (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #3)
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #5)
  • Whiskey and Gunpowder (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #6)
  • Whiskey Sour (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #2)
  • Whiskey On The Rocks (Addison Holmes Mysteries, #4.5)
  • Childfree by Choice: The Movement Redefining Family and Creating a New Age of Independence
  • Brass in Pocket (Inspector Drake #1)
Jewell Parker Rhodes has always loved reading and writing stories. Born and raised in Manchester, a largely African-American neighborhood on the North Side of Pittsburgh, she was a voracious reader as a child. She began college as a dance major, but when she discovered there were novels by African Americans, for African Americans, she knew she wanted to be an author. She wrote six novels for adult ...more