Start by marking “The Tall Man” as Want to Read:
The Tall Man

The Tall Man

The Tall Man is an addictive and unforgettable blend of psychological suspense and spine-tingling chills that will be perfect for fans of Stephen King, Ruth Ware, Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes. If you love Stranger Things, prepare to be haunted by The Tall Man.

A senseless murder. A terrifying legend. A family haunted.

1990: In the darkest woods, three girls devote them
Published June 7th 2018 by Wildfire

To ask other readers questions about The Tall Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tall Man

Michelle
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The legend of the Tall Man can be traced back as early as the 1970s. An urban legend which began circulating around schools in England, it has several variants – the most popular is that of a man who murdered his disobedient daughters. This version of the Tall Man can be sought out by ‘good’ or ‘special’ girls – the legend goes that girls who offer presents and subservience will be rewarded with gifts of their own. In some versions of the story, these gifts are powers, while in others, they ar ...more
Amanda
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW I didn’t just like this book I loved it and devoured it practically in one sitting!! Glad I read this in the day as it is spine tingling creepy!!!

Definitely not a book that is easy to forget, the Tall Man comes and steals daughters, is he an urban myth or is he real?

Told over several timelines, we are introduced to Sadie, Amber and Miles. Sadie makes a decision after Amber is born and that decision will change the course of all their lives.

All I can say is read this book, the tall man makes
Helga
3.5

The tall man lives in the woods. He sees everything. He comes in the night and he takes you away. He is a murderer. He has killed his own daughter. She didn’t do what he wanted.

He can make you special if you ask him.

The story is about Miles, Sadie and their daughter Amber and about a decision Sadie makes years before that turns her life upside down and changes the course of her life.

Is the tall man real or is he a figment of a manipulative and demented imagination?

The Tall Man was a creepy
Pauline
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Tall Man by Phoebe Locke is a very creepy thriller about several members of the Banner family. Sadie believes she is being haunted by the Tall Man and that he is going to harm her daughter. This book was scary and creepy in parts and I found it rather confusing because it jumped about in time too much for me.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Headline for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lou
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those titles where the synopsis just grabs you! I loved the sinister undertones that the blurb delivers. The title reminded me of the slender man internet meme and turned out to be just as creepy! I love an unsettling story and this lived up to my expectations. It quickly shot to the top of my to-be-read pile and when it was over I was sad that it wasn't going to be continued as a series.

THE TALL MAN is addictive and unforgettable. The development of the characters was brilliant,
Pauline
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Blair
This is the second thriller this year (that I know of) to be clearly inspired by the Slender Man case. (The first being Mister Tender's Girl, which I didn't finish.) It centres on Sadie Banner, who, as a child, is introduced to the legend of a sinister figure known as 'the Tall Man' by a group of older girls. Justine, the ringleader, explains that the Tall Man can make his acolytes 'special' if they prove their devotion to him – but he also 'takes daughters'.

While it's unclear whether this evil
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: June 14, 2018
Genre: Psychological Thriller and Suspense
Actual Rating: 3 stars

I am on a roll this week with reading and reviewing! I can't believe I have managed one book a day. There have been some really GREAT ones, some TERRIBLE ones, and some that fall between. This particular one fall in the "in between" category. I liked this book. I liked the authors execution and the mystery behind "The Tall Man" and how she manages to bring her readers to the edge of their seats. Howe
Liz Barnsley
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**

The Tall Man devoured my whole day yesterday. It is utterly gripping from the very first moments and it is inexorably creepy and gets stuck in your head. I spent the entire evening after reading it jumping at shadows. And once, embarrassingly, at my own reflection in the kitchen window…

Anyway, The Tall Man is a legend. Probably. Or possibly you should lock up your daughters – he’ll make you special if you ask him to but my advice would be to keep quiet and hide in that cupboard over
Karen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story mainly alternates between 2016 when Amber Banner was 16 years old and in 2018, when at 18 she is taking part in a documentary following her acquittal of murder. Who was the victim and why. All sorts of scenarios rang through my mind with my list of possible victims constantly changing.

Amber was just a baby when her mother Sadie left, leaving her husband Miles to bring Amber up alone. Convinced that she was being followed by the Tall Man, she maintains she left for Amber’s safety. Her r
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed by Nia on www.whisperingstories.com

I really enjoyed this book, it kept me guessing until the very end as crucial clues were dropped in as the chapters passed.

The story alternates between multiple timelines, which was borderline confusing and definitely frustrating at times because the perspectives would change just as you were being drawn in (which I guess was entirely the point!).

This is one of those reviews where giving away the plot would be a cardinal sin, so I’m trying to be c
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Tall Man is a fabulous book! As a big fan of paranormal thrillers did I love how the legend of the Tall Man made the basis for this book. How all three storylines in different ways had to deal with the Tall Man. But, the Tall Man is just a legend isn't he? Something to scare the little children with, he can't be real, can he?

Now, I don't say that this is a paranormal thriller, nor do I say that it isn't. It's all how the reader will perceive the story. And, in that lies the greatness of the
Nigel
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
I liked the idea but for the most part this didn't work for me.

In full
I found the idea of this book really appealing. The Tall Man is somewhere between a myth, a legend and fantasy - a story to scare children with maybe - or is it? "He killed his own daughter because she didn't do what he wanted". "He can make you special". The scene is set in two eras. A current era note on a documentary about the Banner family in 2019. Then, in italics, a story about young girls being told about The Tall Man
Eva
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you met the Tall Man? Be afraid. Be very afraid!

This is one of those reviews where I’m being deliberately vague. I’m not telling you anything about the plot for fear of giving something away. All you really need to know is right there in the book description.

The Tall Man is a slow-burner of a thriller that packs quite the punch. For the longest time, I couldn’t at all get a handle on things, wasn’t quite sure what to make of it and felt a little confused. Yet I was constantly intrigued enou
Lucy Banks
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Unsettling rather than full-blown horror, with a very clever storyline. I like! 4.5 Stars

Like many people, I'm well-versed with the urban legend of the Slender Man; not to mention the real-life horrors that followed the birth of the myth. It's easy to see how writers would be inspired by such a dark, eerie notion - and this novel showcases just how influential these types of legends can be.

I was expecting some sort
Katherine Sunderland
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Ok, so if you really don't want to sleep tonight, then read this! If you love Stephen King, Halloween, listening to urban myths and truly spine tingling reads, then this is your book! Phoebe Locke's thriller deserves all the hype - it really is a book that will having you switching on the lights, shivering under your bed covers and making you scared of the shadows!

The Tall Man starts in 1990 where we watch three girls gathering in the woods and devoting themselves to a sinister figure. Then we
Susan Hampson
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one hell of a creepy story that compelled me to just open my eyes one more time before I went to sleep because it just unsettled my mind in so many ways, taking me back to childhood days and dark shadows in my bedroom, that seemed to move when only I was there.
The Tall Man is an Urbane legend that comes for your daughters but that is all I can tell you to find out what he does and says you need to read the book. The story is told through various time lines from childhood through to anoth
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
The novel opens with an internet/media based theme. ‘Making the movie – Banner family’ is an upcoming documentary in July 2018. The Banner family is tied to a senseless murder, personal demons and an urban legend. Sounds great!

The timeline within the novel jumps around various era’s. It is tough at first to fathom it all within your mind. But eventually it slots into place.
1999 – See’s the marriage of Miles and Sadie, with Sadie expecting her first baby. But Sadie is fearful, of the future.
Lili  Marcus
3.5 Stars

The description of this book on Netgalley really had me requesting it right away. It was so intriguing and I was so excited to read it.

It started great and even at early pages, I have the idea on how the characters and the events will relate to each other in the end. And Thank God I did because it would've been very confusing as the story jumped from time to time. 3 timelines in all. And I enjoyed it. I actually found the writing style genius.

I really liked the concept of The Tall Man,
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The Tall Man is a creepy, tense story of psychological suspense and impending horror. It's gripping - I couldn't put it down and read until the early hours, immersed in Phoebe Locke's atmosphere and addictive writing. It's hard to believe this is her debut, because the plot and characters are really well crafted.

Firstly, I thought the mix of the possible 'supernatural' with the story's doubt around which characters are trust-worthy, made this novel have a sati
Joanne Robertson
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit to being fascinated by recent media coverage of The Slender Man urbane legend and the real life case surrounding it that shocked the world. So it was with that in mind that I went into The Tall Man rather nervous about how Phoebe Locke would use a similar urbane myth to connect the events in the blurb. And what a brilliant mystery she has crafted! It’s creepy, unpredictable and suspenseful with such an addictive storyline that I didn’t want to put it down-mainly because it scared ...more
Kirsty ❤️
This book set over three different time periods is apparently based on the real life Slender Man case. I had to look it up as while the name felt familiar the events didn't. Now knowing a bit more I'm left more disappointed in the book that I was before I googled. The whole thing left me a bit flat. I enjoyed the concept and I do tend to enjoy multiple time hops in stories and these blended well and kept the story moving in an interesting way, just for me a bit of a slow way. The Tall Man story ...more
gem
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm.
I loved the idea of this but it just felt very flat.
The twist didn’t really feel like one and I wasn’t invested in any of the characters.
The 1.5 stars are for the last 10% of the book.
Renita D'Silva
Spooky and chilling
Tracy Fenton
The Tall Man has been marketed as a chilling thriller - but unfortunately for me I think I am in the minority here because I didn't find The Tall Man chilling or frightening but that's probably me and not the book.

The story follows Amber Banner a young girl who has been acquitted of a murder charge and now finds herself thrust into the media spot light and filmed by a documentary crew whilst she is on a media tour in The States.

With flashback chapters from 2 years prior leading up to the murder
Joanna Park
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tall Man is a chilling, eerie and intelligent thriller that kept me guessing.  This is definitely not a book to read at night as it gets inside your head making you think you can see and hear things.  I jumped at quite a few shadows at night, turning on a light to check everything was ok.

The story goes back and forth between a few time lines as it covers Sadie and her families experiences of The Tall Man.  I thought this was very cleverly done as not only does it help increase the suspense a
Melanie Garrett
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#TallMan is a bravura debut by Phoebe Locke, who has the reader in the palm of her hand straight out of the gate. The present-day storyline takes us behind the scenes of a documentary being made about a notorious murder. Think Making of a Murderer and/or any of the Serial podcasts, only set in the UK.

It has been two years since Amber Banner’s murder trial and yet, for the film crew we are embedded with, there are still as many questions as answers. Top of the list for us as readers is, uhm, okay
Ingstje
The Tall Man turned out to be a very creepy and unsettling read. I couldn’t make head or tale of what was going on and my mind was begging for the answer to that question which didn’t leave my mind for a minute when reading: who is The Tall Man? Is he someone real? Is it the legend that became ingrained in Sadie’s mind and is it possible he’s only a figment of her imagination that she takes for real? Is it linked to a post-natal depression? The novel is set up to confuse and confuse it
Norrie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unsettling and utterly creepy, The Tall Man kept me guessing till the end not only about what the hell is happening, but also what genre I’m actually reading.

You can find my reviews here.

Little girls in the woods, trying to summon the Tall Man to make them special, whatever that means. Disturbing, but surely nonsense. Or is it? Throughout the whole story I debated whether the Tall Man is actually real (and I could be special too, hehe), and we are going into the sort of paranormal territories I
Annie
3.5* What a creepy book!

There was something about The Tall Man that caught my attention from the beginning. The blurb was so intriguing: urban legends, a haunted woman, a teenage killer… I admit I love stories about curses and hauntings so I obviously thought this would be the perfect summer read for me.

The book’s opening chapters grabbed me immediately and I love how they introduced the tall man’s character. I could picture the flashback scenes as if I were watching a horror movie. I believe th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Few (Leone Scamarcio, #1)
  • I Never Lie
  • The Rival
  • The Chosen Ones (DC Ian Bradshaw #4)
  • A Crown of Lights (Merrily Watkins, #3)
  • Tarnished
  • The Pool House
  • The Poison Bed
  • The Cliff House
  • Forget Me Not
  • Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3)
  • The Quaker (Duncan McCormack #1)
  • Le Dernier Lapon
  • Love Me, Love Me Not
  • Set in Stone
  • Treason's Tide  (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey, #1)
  • Never go There