Start by marking “The Portable Mark Twain” as Want to Read:
The Portable Mark Twain

The Portable Mark Twain

Satirist, novelist, and keen observer of the American scene, Mark Twain remains one of the world's best-loved writers. This delightful collection of Twain's favorite and most memorable writings includes selected tales and sketches, excerpts from his novels and travel books, autobiographical and polemical writings, as well as selected letters and speeches.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 583 pages
Published November 30th 2004 by Penguin Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Mark Twain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Mark Twain

la keelskilo du fromage
Eh. I mean, I'm actually not that big a Mark Twain fan just in general.

I know. Shoot me now, right?

But seriously. It's nothing personal--it's not like I think he's a horrendous writer or anything--he just doesn't have a style that clicks with me personally.

Plus, the fact that every professor/teacher I've ever had sort of puffs him up to be the amazing writer...Sorta sets a person up for disappointment, you know?

So there's that.

Three stars and done.
P.S. Winn
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great collection, if you haven't read Mark Twain, grab this, if you have, gab it anyway and take the journey all over again.
Patrick
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature, u-s-a
This is the best way to get acquainted with Twain’s writings. To be honest, I struggle through most of his writings. They just don’t jump out at me and grab me. I like his travel writings more than his fiction or essays, but even they can be too dry and dense for me at times. Maybe it’s the time difference or the cultural difference, but I at least see the strong influence he has had on subsequent American humorists, from Mad Magazine to Kurt Vonnegut’s writings. We have to thank him for his hum ...more
Realini
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cannibalism in The Cars by Mark Twain

Can you combine horror, cannibalism and…humor?
Looking at the title, we must expect ghastly, descriptions of gore, humans at their worst.
But the name of the author suggests another approach, as we wouldn’t expect the author of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Jumping Frog and other humorous tales to engage in a saga of blood and humans eating men’s flesh.
The story begins with an innocent, if puzzling introduction, with some talk on political activities, which en
Brendan
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although my experience with his works is not yet complete, I can safely say that I will always consider Mark Twain to be one of the absolute giants of American literature, standing favorably to any sampling of Hemingway or Emerson you can find. I think the brilliance of his writing, as evidenced in this collection of short stories and novel excerpts, is that while his stories almost always involve period events and often have characters speaking in rural 19th-century Missouri dialect, his charac ...more
Susan
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Although I've read some of the Twain's most admired novels like Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer,The Prince and the Pauper,etc., I wanted to read some
of the shorter pieces for which he first became known. This is a fine
selection of those and a good introduction to his work, as it also contains selections from the novels. I think I had forgotten how very good Twain could be and I'm going next to pursue some biographical background.
Irish Gal
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
First of all, it's 2" thick, so it's not all that "portable". But I'm enjoying the short stories and clips of his autobiography and Pud'dnhead Wilson's calendar. I skipped over the excerpts of "A Conn. Yankee..." and "Huckleberry Finn". I haven't read the first in it's entirety so reading just a chapter seemed awkward.
Christiana
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
I only read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn out of this book. I enjoyed Huck Finn and am glad that I read it.

The only problem I had with the book was understanding some of the dialect but that got easier as I read. That is why I gave it a 4 instead of a five.

I think that at a later point I may read some more Mark Twain.
Nitanews
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favs. Some great short stories here...
Stacy Crandall
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy by: SMC
Shelves: fiction, anthology
Excellent collection of writings by Samuel Langhorne Clemens, AKA Mark Twain.
Frank Schofield
Exceptional book a pleasure to read parts of several of Twain's books. The full book of Huck Finn was especially great to read again. A must for everyone to read.
Andy Farley
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Long time since I've read Twain; laugh out loud funny and cuts deep with his scorn.
Kyle

• Will: The Autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
  • Hamlet Macbeth King Lear
  • Disraeli: A Picture of the Victorian Age
  • Medieval People
  • Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More
  • The Philosophy of Literary Form
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work