Start by marking “Forsaken” as Want to Read:
Forsaken

Forsaken

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Titus had lived and breathed religion his entire life, tucked away from the rest of the world in a compound in northern Wyoming. He’s destined to be the next leader of the church, deemed so by the Prophet.

God spoke and with His word He created. But God made a mistake. Titus isn’t worthy. He was born sick and it’s solidified when he rescues the most beautiful man he’s eve
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 266 pages
Published February 25th 2018 by Gray Books

To ask other readers questions about Forsaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forsaken

Jan
Feb 28, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish-dnf
Shelves: lgbtq

Throwing the towel at @47%

What to say about this?
Could a person, nowadays, have a life sheltered to this extent? Secluded from the rest of the world?

I don't really know.
Either way, the MC's naivety didn't work for me. It's surreal.
1-Click Addict Support Group
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
“The last thing he expected was to see the most beautiful man he’d ever laid eyes on…”

I was really intrigued by the blurb for this m/m romance. Sexual identity. Religion. Perhaps a cult? Definitely not light and fluffy but I was looking forward to a complicated read with a new author….

It was complicated. Yet it was not. I want to say it was simple, but it really was not. I definitely can’t categorize in just a few words so more will have to do. Titus was stuck. He had a role to play, now and i
Debra
Reviewed for Sinfully.

In a story that could have been full of angst, this is more a book about accepting yourself and having the strength to do what you need to live the life that is best for you.

When Titus, who has grown up as the heir to the Prophet (his grandfather) on an insular compound of a Wyoming cult, finds a beaten man on the side of the road, the decision he makes to help changes his life in an instant. The battered man appropriately named Angel, not only looks like one, but
Joyfully Jay
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

In the Author’s Note at the beginning of Forsaken, author J.R. Gray shares a little about his own experiences growing up in a cult-like environment. Like Titus, it was a place where being gay or genderqueer was not only not accepted, it was something so out of the realm of their world as to be impossible. Gray does a really nice job taking that experience and building it into the story here, showing how Titus has grown up in an environment where he is not even aw
The Novel Approach Reviews
Shelves: contemporary
~ 3.5 Stars ~

Titus is doing penance—for whatever sin he’s been judged guilty of at the time—when he finds what he’s sure is an angel in a ditch near an isolated religious compound in rural Wyoming. The truth is, he has found an angel. Just not an angel of the heavenly variety.

Angel Rodriguez is a drifter. He’s a photographer by trade who left his job and home in San Francisco behind after a bad breakup, and has been wandering aimlessly since. Angel has never been a straight-passing guy, which i
Laura Hampton~iScream Books~
It has been a long time since I have struggled to write a review for a book. This is the third book by Gray that I have had the opportunity to read. Talk about an emotional, gut-wrenching read in my honest opinion. Part of me felt as if bits and pieces of this story were about the author's life as he was growing up, you will understand better once you pick up a copy and read the author's note at the front of the book. I am of the opinion that everyone is allowed to love who they want to love. I ...more
Rose  He
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading Forsaken by J.R. Gray a week ago, since then I’ve been thinking how to write a review for this FANTASTIC, heartfelt book.

It is the kind of book that I need my time to read, and a special set of mind, it’s not a book that I could read “between doing other things”, it kept me awake until late because I needed to know what was going to happen.

It felt SO real, maybe because of “the author’s note” or because I’ve been following and reading the author's newsletters, I could relate t
Jessica Alcazar
What to say … What to say … What to say …. Hmmmmmmmm

Okay, so one thing I can say for certain is that the story was beautiful and really well thought out. This story could have gone down a dark rabbit hole of religion and clouded the journey of Titus and Angel to HEA but it did not. Religion was very prominent in this story but it did not take over the story so much that the romance was overshadowed.

This is not a story that can be read in pieces so if you choose to one-click (which I highly reco
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, m-m, arc
4.25 stars.

"...but just for once he wanted to be that important to someone. He wanted to come first. He wanted to be picked."

This book was real. It made my heat bleed and made me cry for everything Titus had been through and has to figure out in order to be happy in the future. While religion has a huge part in the book it does not take over Titus and Angel's story.

Forsaken was by no means light and fluffy. It was a journey of sorts. Titus finding his place in the world, while also tryin
Cee Brown
♥.•*)☆♡.•*)☆♡.•♥*)☆♡♥
♡☆(.•♥4 more than forsaken stars

"I thought I was rescuing an Angel, and then I thought you were a temptation put in front of me by the devil himself, who by the way is lovely because he’s a fallen angel." ~Titus

Angel happened in Titus's life and opened a Pandora's box. To say that Titus was an innocent was like saying life didn't have meaning.

All my mind kept going to was, there was really people in the world who loved by such beliefs and followed such teachings. Am I gla
Dark_Shadow
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found it interesting and sad. The ending was surely abrupt.
Around the middle of the book I was not that into it, I expected them to take it slower, to figure things out. It felt rushed.
Most importantly (view spoiler)
Becky Rendon
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Labels. Everything in our world has a label. Our society thrives on putting a label on us.

Victim
Criminal
Straight
Gay
Short
Tall
Beautiful
Ugly

Words have power. They have the power to destroy or to heal.

Forsaken is a powerful word. It leaves one feeling bereft and alone but it also invokes many more emotional responses. This book does exactly the same.

Forsaken is Titus' journey. His life. It's complicated and filled with labels. Forsaken is a trip that will make plenty of people uncomfortable. It's
Lauren Lascola-Lesczynski
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for this brilliant book...JR Gray did an amazing job on this one. Titus is a repressed religious man who only knows one way of life. He stumbles upon Angel and Titus's life is forever changed.
I loved the struggle and the sweet silence that Titus lived with. He was kind and gentle. He was was pure and precious. He was stuck in a world...a life he shouldn't have been in.
Angel was the bright light at the end of the tunnel. He was the happiness that Titus needed. He was underst
Robin Powers
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really feel a bunch of turmoil at the end of this book. This story just stirred up a whole lot of emotions in me with everything Titus goes through. His sheltered upbringing and way his identity is suppressed just about killed me. I loved how when he met Angel...his “angel” pretty much helped to save him. Definitely loved the message of acceptance needing to be given in this book.
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

This book was honestly not the easiest to read & review because of the heavy topic and the things Titus has to deal with.

With Titus we have a main character who lived his whole life in a toxic community, one which told him to be faithful and serve & worship God. As being chosen to be the next Prophet he as a special treatment in the compound, but when he met Angel, who he thought first about a fallen angel f
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
I did not give this a star rating as I’m not sure where I stand on this book. I’m a bit torn and confused and I didn’t want to be unfair to the author. I have read several books by the author and I AM a fan of his however as I was writing my review it seemed less than positive.

I usually stay away from religiously themed books. I have strong opinions about faith and typically find exception to what is included in those stories. I often find them preachy as well which I don’t care for either. This
TK Maj *TK MAJ BLOG*
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC REVIEW
RELEASE DATE: 26 February 2018

Please note that this book was provided for free by the author's publishing PR in exchange for an honest review. Feel free to check out my full book review policy here for more details.

This book took me a little while to settle into- I read it during one of the busiest weekends of my life- but it still managed to get me hooked and ready for a sequel (please say you’re reading this J.R Gray?!)

First off, the fact that the author himself grew up in a cult-lik
Autumn
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angel Rodriguez was running from heartbreak when he was left for dead in the middle of the vast Wyoming landscape. And if by a miracle, he's somehow rescued by a man who is trying desperately to flee from some pain of his own.

Titus was born and raised in a religious cult that held themselves separate from the rest of the world. He always felt just a bit out of place and he never really knew why. Until he found his Angel.

"Are you okay?" Angel put his hand on Titus' shoulder. Titus' eyes snapped o
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4 Stars

The first thing that grabbed my attention about this book was the gorgeous cover, it's breathtaking in its simplicity. Then the blurb, which is direct and to the point. I've read other books with a similar theme and I really enjoyed this one.

Titus lives in a compound and he's being groomed to take over after the Prophet in the religious community he's lived in all his life. However, when he finds an injured man outside their compound, his beliefs are put to the test.

Angel is a drifter/p
Dawn
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In case you don't know, I am a HUGE fan of J.R. Gray. I've loved every book he's written and Forsaken is no different. This book drew me in from the first page and kept me completely immersed until the last page...and then I was left wanting more. I believe one sign of a great book is when it leaves you wanting more. I need to know what happens to Paul. I would love to know where life takes Titus and Angel. Does David find his HEA?

I'm getting ahead of myself. When Titus stumbles upon a man who h
Daniel Mitton
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews. Rated 3.5 out of 4.0 Love Bytes)

This was one of those stories that I read straight through. I was trapped in a country inn in New Hampshire in the middle of a blizzard and I read it cover to cover. I enjoyed it, but found myself constantly hoping for a little more. Let me explain.

The story revolves around two main characters. The first is Titus, a young man who has been raised for most of his life in a remote religious compound in Wyoming. His grandfa
Amanda at WickedGoodReads
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
In general, I try to stay away from books with a religious theme because I just feel sorry for the people, who, IRL, live that way. Not the normal, religious way. I am talking cult like religion. That's the type of things that I shy away from because to know that it exists and that people suffer, it's disturbing.

However, I love me some JR Gray. So when I saw the blurb and then the cover, I was like sign me up for THAT!

So, what I will tell you is, Angel and Titus....innocence, love, trust, pain,
Bradley Mathis-Krone
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In J.R. Gary's latest book we are introduced to polar opposite's who magnetic attraction can not be denied. Angel comes from a world of acceptance where Titus is bound to a world of strict rules and absolute devotion and blind obedience. J.R. has done an amazing job writing a story that is so true and heartfelt that you won't want to put it down, but anyone that has deltmwith religious persecutions will be forced to stop and examine how it has effected their own lives.

There will be tears, laught
The Smutbrarians
Panty Scorching: 5
Over All Rating: 4.5 Stars
Kindle eArc provided by Author
Reviewed by Robin

Raised strongly in a religious compound, Titus was training to face his destiny as the next leader of the church as proclaimed by the Prophet. But he doesn’t feel worthy since he feels like such a sinner. When he rescues an angel, Titus is torn in two. Should he be faithful to his faith or the hidden part of him that he can never show?

“He wanted to come first. He wante
Vicki
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by J. R. Gray. What can I say? I'm sitting here minus a couple of finger nails, which I NEVER chew because of this brilliant story. Titus and Angel are really great characters and their predicament had me on the edge of my seat. I literally couldn't put it down. I was even trying to get breakfast with one hand and reading with the other. THIS IS A MUST READ!! J. R. is a great writer and this story is one of his best. It's a ten star book in every way. Buy it and then go to his ...more
Alison Hacker
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Brilliant

This book is a must read. I went through lots of emotions whilst reading this book. It made be laugh, it made me cry, both with happiness and sadness, it made be groan, it made me want to wrap Titus up in bubble wrap. He is adorable. Angel is an Angel. Just loved them both. I don't want to put out spoilers but it left me wanting to know more. I need to know more. What happens to Paul. What happens with David. There must be a story there too. Please I need book 2!
Dara Nelson
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-blog
The story line intrigued me but after reading a few stories by gay authors who actual were raised in deeply religious environments and the literal hell they had to go through before they were able to escape, this one fell flat for me. There was too much indecision, too much naivety, too much talking without really saying anything. And I never was able to connect with the characters or really feel a true connection between them. So, good premise but the execution wasn't what I needed.
Lovinghotbooks
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I was gifted this ARC and freely give my review of it*

This book was very emotional and heartbreaking.

If I should name one thing that was a little on the negative side it’s that I think it was a little abrupt ending. But it’s HEA so I’m happy 😆

This is what I liked:
* Good storyline
* Characters with feelings and reflective thoughts
* No unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
* Lots of dialogues
* The author is managing to make it very visible how Titius is gradually reflecting on right or wron
♕ mali
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I started this with hope but I guess I just wasn't in the right mental space for it but I did appreciate the effort put into depicting the life of someone like Titus who grew up in a very sheltered religious community. As someone who's raised by Muslims, I was sad and hurt for him. My problems with the book were mostly in the pacing, how often the POV changed and confused me, and how I couldn't really buy into Titus and Angel's relationship.
Libby
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Really loved this book. Very different to anything I've read before and obviously a very personal story for the author JR Gray. Interesting characters in an interesting setting. There were a few things I didn't quite understand at the end of the book but I just accepted the facts and moved on. I'm thinking, hoping, there will be a further story about the brother and the neighbour....
« previous 1 3 4 next »
When not staying up all night writing, J.R. Gray can be found at the gym where it's half assumed he is a permanent resident to fulfill his self-inflicted masochism. A dominant and a pilot, Gray finds it hard to be in the passenger seat of any car. He frequently interrupts real life, including normal sleep patterns and conversations, to jot down notes or plot bunnies. Commas are the bane of his exi ...more
More about J.R. Gray