Start by marking “A Mouse Divided: How Ub Iwerks Became Forgotten, and Walt Disney Became Uncle Walt” as Want to Read:

Almost everything you know about Mickey Mouse is wrong: he wasn’t Disney’s first star; Steamboat Willie wasn’t his first movie; Mickey wasn’t a nice guy—and Walt Disney didn’t invent him.

In 1928, two very different best friends invented Mickey Mouse. And the success tore them apart. Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks’s friendship is a story of betrayal, love, war, money, power,
Published July 3rd 2018 by Post Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about A Mouse Divided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mouse Divided

Start your review of A Mouse Divided: How Ub Iwerks Became Forgotten, and Walt Disney Became Uncle Walt
Erin
I won it in a giveaway!

Disney owns EVERYTHING!

Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, ABC, Fox, Theme Parks, and now Streaming. Plus tons of other shit I don't even know about.

And Walt Disney predicted it over a 100 years ago. He knew that one day the name Disney would be synonymous with entertainment. Even if no one else around him believed it. Walt's global takeover of all things entertainment, wasn't easy. In fact Walt and The Disney Company went broke several times but Walt never gave up and he never
David James
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was more of a quick add on to my 2019 book list but I’m glad I included it. I’ve always been a Disney fan, not just the movies and Disneyland but of the corporation as well. But was really surprised by how this company started. It’s not nearly as glamorous as you’d think. In fact it was messy and run on chaos, loans, and grit most of the time and it wasn’t JUST on the back of Walt Disney and that’s the what this books is about

We often only think of Walt Disney when we think of who
Greg Kopstein
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Mouse Divided is quite the catchy title for such an interesting and thought provoking journey down the proverbial rabbit hole of Disney history and, dare I say it, lore. The Disney family, had two founding fathers? Ub Iwerks is the man behind the cartoons, the trench fighter, the pragmatist, but sadly the legend never caught on the way it did for "Uncle Walt". This book does Ub's rightful legacy the justice it deserves, but only for those who dig beneath the golden facade of Disney.

This book
Read Ng
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a GoodReads giveaway win, sorta. I won a copy and the author was even good enough to ask me which media I preferred, Hard, Paper, or Electronic. A couple of weeks ago the USPS's "Informed Delivery" stated that my package had arrived. But there was no package in my community mail lockbox. It must have been misdirected to one of my neighbors. Well, I live in a "Disneyland" clean street, so surely one of my "good" neighbors would be sure to get it back to me. After all, the package had my ...more
Leonard Armstrong
The book was a fairly good read providing a more-than-previously-available insight into the life of Disney collaborator Ub Iwerks. Where history is vague the author relays all available legends so the reader can decide for his/herself.

I have one problem with the book. There are quite a few scene-by-scene descriptions of cartoon shorts. This filler content is not necessary. But, as it is not too excessive, I still give this book an overall good grade.
Abed Gheith
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I’ll admit I had no idea who Ub Iwerks was till I read this. A fascinating account of some of the people responsible for the field of animation. I am a fiend for these kinds of stories. How geniuses rose to the occasion against all odds. But what’s fascinating is how Ub Iwerks is never mentioned in any stories or deeds I’d hear growing up about “Uncle Walt.”
Definitely worthwhile read if you’re a Disney fan. I’d say I am for sure. My obsession was and is Pinocchio.
Andres Heredia
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not what I wanted at all. This book advertises the rise and fall and rise again of the Ubb andWalts relationship. However most of the book talks only about Walt. Ubb is absent for most of the book.
It goes on to speak about the Mickey shorts in plot detail. Even describing how it would offend, even trigger people in today’s audience. None of that has anything to do with the story made clear.

As a Disney historian enthusiast I would tell you to skip this book
David
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating account of the early years of Disney productions. Sometimes I was a little board for instance when he covers frame by frame an old cartoon. Fo readers who are interested in cartoons or movie history this would be a great book.
Justin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page turning look into the history of the Disney company and the struggles Walt, his head animator Ub and his brother Roy faced throughout the early decades of the 20th century.
T Scott Saponas
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well researched book on Disney before 1945.
Keith
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a passing interest in Disney’s history (but love history in general). I found this book very interesting and enjoyable. Would recommend!
Melanie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads drawing, which is good, because the local library has not yet been persuaded to purchase it.

The subject is a bit niched; it's not quite a biography of Walt Disney, not quite a history of the Walt Disney Company, not quite a biography of Mickey Mouse, but somewhere in the weeds of the three. There are a lot of descriptions of the early Mickey Mouse short cartoons, and if it weren't for YouTube, this book would be a tedious read with no points of reference. Puns and
Marissa
Jul 24, 2018
Amy
Jul 20, 2019
Jeff Ryan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Filip
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Queens of Animation
  • Meg and Jo
  • The Homestuck Epilogues
  • Tribulation Force (Left Behind, #2)
  • Beyond Weird
  • On Moral Fiction
  • Homestuck
  • Nicolae (Left Behind, #3)
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Three Years in Wonderland: The Disney Brothers, C. V. Wood, and the Making of the Great American Theme Park
  • The Geek Feminist Revolution
  • Bambi
  • White Bird
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
  • The Life and Times of Ward Kimball: Maverick of Disney Animation
  • Rivals 2! More Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals, #2)
Jeff Ryan is the author of A MOUSE DIVIDED: HOW UB IWERKS BECAME FORGOTTEN...AND WALT DISNEY BECAME UNCLE WALT and SUPER MARIO: HOW NINTENDO CONQUERED AMERICA. He has been published in Salon, Slate, Fast Company, Wired.com, Kotaku, and All Things Considered; and has been featured on NPR’s Marketplace, Time, Forbes, The New York Times, The Economist, The Independent, and Star Talk With Neil ...more