Start by marking “The Colour of Time: A New History of the World, 1850-1960” as Want to Read:
The Colour of Time: A New History of the World, 1850-1960

The Colour of Time: A New History of the World, 1850-1960

From the mid-19th century, many of the most celebrated moments and personalities in modern history—from Gettysburg to Hiroshima, and from Lincoln to Churchill—have been captured for posterity by the camera lens. Marina Amaral uses digital techniques, underpinned by painstaking research, to colorize 200 such images embracing an entire century of world history. The results a ...more
Published October 1st 2018 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Colour of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Colour of Time

Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
Beautiful, Absolutely fucking gorgeous. The photos are amazing. History has always been pretty 'alive' for me, because I love history and it is pretty much all I ever want to read about. But a book like this might do wonders for someone less inclined to pick up a history text. Photos you've seen a million times in black and white, major world-changing, beautiful, devastating, heartbreaking events captured on film, are now in living color, and for the briefest of moments you can imagine yourself ...more
Alisha Alisha
This is my new favourite world history book.

I bought it to marvel at the fascinating digitally-coloured photographs from the 1800s and kept it for the historical insights behind the them.

If you're not completely familiar with world history, this book gives informative nutshell descriptions that help us to understand the past and how it has shaped and given context to the world as it is today. The Colour of Time covers the significant events that occurred in the last two centuries, from world mo
Oliver
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book. I bought it for the photos but stayed for the explanations which are so well written, clear and well-informed. Monarchies, revolutions, politics, wars, pop culture and so much more is covered in this book which spans almost 100 years. I can't emphasise enough just how much I've learnt not just about England but America and the rest of the World. I'll keep this on my coffee table for years to come, if you're considering buying it I'd recommend you do it.
Nick Mclean
I was skeptical at first when I received this book from a colleague. Coloured photos of statesmen and soldier, Kings and Queens didn't do much for me as a concept. But the pictures are crafted with such care and artfully portrayed with attention given to historical context. It's a cliche, but it really does bring the past to life. You can immediately tell this was a labour of love, and it cannot help but humanize your perceptions of people and events known to most of us as anecdotes in history t ...more
Bill Powers
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Marina Amaral's work on social media for a couple of years. The Color of Time lives up to the high standards she has set. An outstanding photographic history reference.
Mehsi
Een boek die ik voornamelijk heb gekozen vanwege de foto's. Ik hou van foto's van vroeger en vind het geweldig dat mensen die tegenwoordig kleur kunnen geven. Ik heb de teksten naast de foto's niet altijd gelezen, vaak bevattten ze niks nieuws en het was ook nog eens niet altijd erg interessant geschreven. De foto's waren erg interessant, al hoefde ik sommige dingen nou niet echt te zien (zoals mensen die dood zijn, bloed hier en daar).
Zeker een boek dat ik zou aanraden voor de foto's.
Genevieve
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating and unsettling. I had never before read a history book entirely centered on specific points of time and space, moments captured on film. I was asked, again and again, to examine vivid colorized photographs of kings, peasants, rebels, battlefields, streets, ships, natural disasters, buildings, villains, heroes, politicians, ordinary people, corpses. This wasn't a history that felt faded and distant; this was a history that felt intimate and dangerously present.

I don't g
Ramona
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing. The colorized photographs are mesmerizing, and make me feel closer to people of the past. There's something about a color photograph that just makes the imagination come alive. I liked the accompanying bits of information, not too dense and well written. This book has been meticulously researched and it can be felt in every aspect. Last but not least, I thoroughly appreciate the authors' decision to incorporate -all- continents in this book, even though it's a little Western worl ...more
Tracy
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an amazing, concise modern history.
The photos were very well chosen, and brought to life by appearing in colour.
What an incredible century. Hard to believe that these events were recent history.
Dawn
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning work of art - illustrator Marina Amaral has painstakingly brought colour (and life) to black & white photos of iconic moments in history. The detail is just amazing; so amazing that you sometimes forget that the image didn't always have colour.

Jones' historical blurbs that accompany the photos are just the right mix of information and accessibility. You actually feel you're learning something but, at the same, are not overwhelmed by fact.

This is definitely a book I will keep on my
Anne
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Fascinating book !!
A New History of the World 1850 - 1960.
This book is jointly produced by Dan Jones and Marina Amaral. Each photograph snaps a moment in history and Dan gives an account of the circumstances and events surrounding that photograph and time.
Marina is a Brazilian artist who has perfected the art of the colourisation of historical photographs following extensive research and brings historical account through photographs to a new dimension.
This is a fascinating account of the
Becky
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a masterpiece with it's beautifully colorized photos and interesting history in quotes and short descriptions which accompany the photos. It covers the time period starting when photography was viewed as an important media for documenting history, up until the time when probably color photos began to replace black and white. As with any history book, the authors had to select (with around 100 years to cover!) the photos to include. They did a good job covering the globe, including well k ...more
George Foord
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! It vividly narrates well known and lesser known parts of history in amazing images that brings history alive 😊😊
Tetyana
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fascinating.

Color adds so much life to every photo here, making the subjects depicted accessible and present. With phenomenal work from the colorist Marina Amaral every photo looks amazing, like it’s been freshly-taken. Extensive captions also make for an illuminating read if a pretty heavy one at times (You’re still not sufficiently angry about colonialism? This book will rectify it).

An essential read for any history lover.
Pascal Keuken
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like history, this is a must must have. Marina Amaral is a true artists dedicate to show history in its true form. Her research is almost flawless and the end result is absolutely breathtaking.
Anne Holmes
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admirable.

I had to admire the achievement of this book and all the history was interesting. Many of the photos were fascinating, but did find some others bland and unfascinating. (Not a word, I know!)
Adam Woods
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spellbinding imagery combine with concise and powerful words to produce an awesome yet somber book, which I sincerely recommend to everyone.

The colour detailing in the photos is breathtaking and it is matched by a short introduction to not just the imagery but the full context of each period and place.

This is a not necessarily a detailed book of world history but it is a fine introduction and broad look at major world events from 1850-1960.

A truly wonderful book.
Dustin
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible. I brought it home with me for Thanksgiving to show my dad and I barely saw the book the entire 3 days I was there. It went from family member to family member to family member. Everyone was fascinated by it. I am so glad to have it in my collection and can not recommend it enough. Just make sure you keep an eye on it when you show someone or you might not get it back!
Kelly K
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Awkward when you color black and white photographs and discover a murderer was hot as fuck. Young Thomas Edison wasn't bad either.
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fascinating visual history of 1850-1960. Dan Jones whip smart commentary combined with Marina Amaral’s artistry makes this a truly compelling experience.
Clive Lillie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You like modern history? You like photographs of modern history? You like cleverly coloured pictures from pre-colour photographic days? You like small summaries written by renowned historian detailing events surrounding those pictures?

THEN THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU

Unbelievably good. History on a plate. The colour shots make everything they hit more vivid.

Fantastic piece of work
Jake Sansom
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably my new favourite book.
Ryan
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is essentially a photography book with interesting historical blurbs that add context to the images. But what’s truly amazing is the colorized/digitally remastered photos, which give new insight into the world as we know it.
Bill Holmes
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is a beautiful and fascinating book, published in the UK as “The Colour of Time” and in the U.S. as “The Color of Time” (October 2, 2018). The well-written and informative text is by Dan Jones, author of “The Plantagenets,” “The War of the Roses” and “The Templars.” Each decade is introduced by a single photograph, a “Zeitgeist” overview of the period, and a timeline that is loosely tied to the photographs that follow.

The narrative explains each photograph and the historical context from w
Danny Jumpertz
I was drawn to this as a fan of Marina Amaral's colourised historical photographs - particularly her work with the incredibly moving pictures of children being processed by the Nazi's nightmare machinery. The pictures in The Color of Time are historical works of art.
The written narrative was initially confusing. I would have preferred succinct small captions identifying each photograph in addition to the short essays (which serve as an extended caption). Greater clarity in the design and layout
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is excellent - the execution, not so much. The pictures are stunning in color. There is something incredible about seeing a picture so often seen in black and white suddenly in color. In that way, this book brings history to life. In other ways, the historical details were sorely lacking. I'm not indicating there needs to be more than a brief blurb about each picture, but that the history needs to be accurate in every respect. For me that was the most disappointing aspec ...more
Alex Paul
Reading this on a kindle (an early generation one) in a black and white display was a bad move! However since it had been made available in kindle, I don't think it's unfair to review it in that inadequate form. So, with the narrative alone, I give this three stars. It has taught me something about aspects of history I didn't know, and it touches adequately on how some pictures were posed, or entirely fabricated, rather than true reportage. But it really overall doesn't work as "a new history of ...more
Roo O'brien
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brazilian artist Marina Amaral’s twitter feed of coloured historical photos is a bright light in a dark world. This book is even better - a selection of the best complete with the textual context. This is not the jarring colouring of old, but realistically done digitally to make 100 years of black and white history leap off the page and become more immediate. The next best thing to a time machine. Magnificent.
Amelia
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fascinating, particularly the older photographs. Good detail given alongside the pictures throughout, though it would have been strengthened by a more nuanced writing style and dates given more clearly alongside the images, where possible. It also focused a lot more on war than I'd expected - I preferred the sections featuring everyday lives and chance encounters, though it was interesting seeing some iconic photos in colour.
Jessica
An excellent look at world history and an even better attempt at colorizing our past. Though I am surprised that neither the Eastland capsizing or the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire made it into this collection as they were both disasters that stunned the nation and brought home to the world the problems with our technology & system of labor, respectively.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Citizen Clem: A Biography of Attlee
  • Destiny in the Desert: The Story Behind El Alamein - the Battle That Turned the Tide
  • Prophets and Moguls, Rangers and Rogues, Bison and Bears: 100 Years of the National Park Service
  • Le Corbusier: Le Modulor and Modulor 2
  • Just Looking: Essays on Art
  • Artistic Anatomy: The Great French Classic on Artistic Anatomy
  • Castle: A History of the Buildings that Shaped Medieval Britain
  • Britain After Rome: The Fall and Rise, 400 to 1070
  • American Caesars: Lives of the Presidents from Franklin D. Roosevelt to George W. Bush
  • Human Anatomy for Artists: The Elements of Form
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • Jeremy Hutchinson's Case Histories: From Lady Chatterley's Lover to Howard Marks
  • Photography Changes Everything
Dan Jones is a bestselling historian, TV presenter and award-winning journalist. His books include THE PLANTAGENETS, a New York Times and Sunday Times bestseller, and THE HOLLOW CROWN, a Sunday Times bestseller, published in the USA as THE WARS OF THE ROSES. He has also written books about the Peasants’ Revolt and Magna Carta and a forthcoming social history of Plantagenet England, entitled REALM ...more