Start by marking “Lazaretto #1” as Want to Read:
Lazaretto #1

Lazaretto #1

(Lazaretto #1)

An outbreak at a small American college causes an entire dorm to be quarantined with the students inside, which leads to a violent new social hierarchy within.

It’s move-in day, and students from across the country converge on the campus of Yersin University to start the new school year. But after a looming pandemic strikes the college, a single dorm complex is quarantined
Published December 25th 2018 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Lazaretto #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lazaretto #1

Start your review of Lazaretto #1
♥ britt (Blissfully-Read) ♥
3.75/5
Overall pretty good, I felt like it got more exciting towards the end, but by then it was already over. But seeing how it got started and whatnot was interesting and I'm excited to get to the next issues and see how it all plays out.
Amy!
WELL, THAT SURE WAS A STORY. This was intense, horrifying, and pretty fucking gross.
Ondřej Halíř
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5

Nově příchozím studentům do Yersin Univerzity se změní život, v momentě kdy je jejich kolej uvržena pod karanténu kvůli novému viru s označením H3N8. Už od začátku příběhu pomalu vidíte příznaky, studenti kašlou, ve vzduchu vidíte poletovat bakterie a zoomy na přenášení infekce dělá taky svoje. První sešit proto takhle efektivně teasuje symptomy, aby v dalších sešitech to mohlo jít full frontal.

Hlavními hrdiny tu je jedna blondýna co věří v boha a gay. Ne nebojte se, žádné sebepoznávání v apo
connie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is so horrifying I don't want to say I enjoyed it, but in a weird way I did enjoy it? It's pretty gross, all of the characters bar a few are terrible, I'm now terrified of college, and the ending is so depressing I kind of want to throw up. But I.... enjoyed it?

Anyway I'm off to have nightmares bye y'all!
Devon Munn

Although the setup and the story were cliche and meh at best, at the beginning there is an eerie tension, and then when the virus breaks out, the look of the students in their infected haze was really disturbing (especially nearing the end) which was aided by the cartoonish and sketchy art. Even if i didn't necessarily care for any of the characters, the suspense kept me going
Paul
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked these characters. They were unique with a good dose of characterization. Their interactions tell so much about their motivations. A pair of outsiders caught up in a college culture and a zombie rage.

Yet, at the heart of it, I felt like this one did not break any new ground. A good start gets bogged down in a story arc that we’ve all seen before. But, f you’re looking for another take on the Lord of the Flies/ quarantine plot, this one set in a college dorm, pick this one up.

For my full r
Claire
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ew, gross. Giving me 28 Days Later realness. Giving me Raw realness. Giving me Hot Zone realness.
Halle
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the premise of this series. It’s an interesting set up, and I’m excited to see the direction the story will go
Kim
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great start! Love me an unexpected zombie tale 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Excited to find out where this goes.
This was a good lesson on why I should read the summary blurbs because the cover had me fooled. I thought this was going to be more detective, school, and slice of life consistent with boom comics. Nope!

While this narrative did take place in a college environment, this was a horror speculative fiction. This was a Lord of the Flies-esque story that makes you think twice about not getting a flu shot or wiping down surfaces with Clorox and Lysol wipes.

The art itself wasn’t spectacular and in fact
Hugo
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
An excellent start, with some very capable characterisation, though I'm not a fan of the sketchbook scribble style of artwork. Sadly, quickly becomes ever more preposterous as events outpace reality (zombie tropes meet Lord of the Flies), when a more reined-in approach might have worked better - though the ending is strong. ...more
Kristopher
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of horror but I found this one a newish take on what happens when the young are left to their own devices. Maybe I have more (too much) faith in young adults, but I can't imagine it would go like this so fast. The art is very good though. I really enjoyed the style of the book; it's truly beautiful in an HR Giger sort of way. ...more
BB
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-boom
Actual rating: 2.5

This started stronger than it finished. I know some people have been turned off by the art, but I think it's fitting for the story. Towards the end it seemed to lose the plot a bit and it doesn't really feel finished, but it's got its moments.
Nicole
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
More of a 2.5. I was unfortunately not into the art from the get-go and then the ending was much more sci-fi apocalypse than horror movie. So it’s really me just wanting something different, not the book.
Jill Kenna
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was disgusting but in a good way! Really enjoyed this even though I was grossed out half the time.
Paul W.
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a pretty interesting fact-paced story that was eerily prescient in some ways, with how people react to a pandemic. But then it went off the rails, as dramatic horror is supposed to do.
Andrew Shaffer
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect quarantine reading.
Tedi
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
At the start of this, it seemed like it would be interesting but by the end I just hated everything about it. It’s disgusting and the ending of the 5 comic bind up just made the story even worse.
Sean
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nasty fun. Appreciate the art, but the story strays.
Estibaliz79
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Read your Camus, kiddies! There's a plague heading our way! "They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences".'

Pandemic reading!

This holds promise but, I'm not going to lie to you, it was also quite a squirmish read for this time and age.

Though, of course, this 'canine flu' is not the coronavirus, there's a lot of images that reminds us of it here and there: the RA giving away hand sanitizer, the intimate contacts that once seemed so natural but the
 ⛅ Saniya (sunnysidereviews) ⛅
I wanted there to be character development with the main characters, but there wasn't (only in a couple side characters.)
The ending was extremely impactful, but was left on a cliffhanger.
However, the way the story and the art corelated was absolutely phenomenal. The art is messy, but so was the story. The twists and aggressive goriness were so surprising, (considering the fact that BOOM BOX! is typically produces cuter stories.) I felt like I re-read Lord of the Flies in grade school! Overall,
Ingrid
I originally heard about this from my local comic book stores Intagram. Lazaretto is illustrated by someone from my hometown, so I had to pick it up. I originally did not know anything about the story, I just wanted to support a local artist. The girl helping me at the comic store told me it was about a virus breaking out at a college, which made me even more interested.

This is a single issue, so it's relatively short. We got introduced to the characters and the setting. I'm very interested in c
Jaime Stuller

• Dragon Hoops
  • Archival Quality
  • X-Factor by Leah Williams, Vol. 1
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (Otouto no Otto, #1-2)
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Tarareba Girls, #1)
  • Taproot
  • Hex Vet: The Flying Surgery (Hex Vet, #2)
  • Motor Crush, Vol. 1
  • The Scare School (Just Beyond #1)
  • Les petites victoires
  • A Date with Darcy (Bookish Boyfriends, #1)
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy