Start by marking “The Lost Sister” as Want to Read:
The Lost Sister

The Lost Sister

From the #1 bestselling author of My Sister’s Secret and No Turning Back

Summer, 1991: A trip to the beach leads to disaster for Becky’s family. It is the day a boy nearly drowns, and the day Becky’s mother decides to abandon her own husband and child for the mysterious man who saved him.

Now: It’s been ten years since they last spoke, but Becky’s mother has just weeks to li
Published July 20th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Sister, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tracy Buchanan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Berit☀️✨
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
4 Salty Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

This was my very first book by Tracy Buchanan, but it will not be my last... I found this book a compelling read filled with colorful characters and beautiful descriptions... I was drawn in by the very first scene in this book... a loving mother (or so it seemed) a drowning boy, a strange man who appears to be walking on water, where in the world was this book headed???

This book was told from two different perspectives and two different timelines... becky in present time and he
Pauline
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The Lost Sister by Tracy Buchanan was the story of Becky who was reunited with her mother Selma after many years apart. He mother has only days to live and tells Becky that she has a sister. The book then tells Selma's story and Becky's journey to try and find the sister she has never met. I really enjoyed this book, the characters were excellent and the descriptions wonderful. This is the first book I have read by this author and I will certainly be reading more of her books. I would like to th ...more
Amanda
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After reading “My Sister’s Secret” and “Her Last Breath” also written by Tracy Buchanan I was very excited to start this book immediately!!

Wow you have done it again. I loved this from the beginning and could have quite happily finished it in one sitting!!

Selma, husband Mike and daughter Becky’s live’s change dramatically when on a day out on the beach, a friends son nearly drowns in the sea, and a mystery man rushes into to rescue him.shortly after Selma leaves her family and goes to live in a
Sherri Thacker
This book had the oddest story line but yet, I kept reading it till the end. As I was reading, I kept saying to myself – this is the strangest book but it kept me interested to keep reading. And boy, am I glad I did. At first, I had a hard time believing someone like Becky could do what she did and what the heck was the “draw” to all the caves in the book? And then there’ a huge twist at the end that I didn’t see coming!! Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for giving me this book for my hones ...more
Lin
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book, I thought it would be hard to sympathise with a woman who abandoned her husband and daughter to go and live in a cave, but Selma quickly won me over. This story plays out in two timelines, as we hear about the mother's life and the experiences of Becky as she tries to trace this mysterious lost sister, and both storylines are gripping.
There were enough twists and points in this story to keep me reading eagerly to find out what happened, and plenty of food for thought i
Michelle
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book review can be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

This was the first book I have read by Tracy Buchanan but after reading the description of the book I couldn’t wait to read it. When I got the chance to take part in a Book Blast for this book I was thrilled.

This book is written in alternating points of view. Parts are written from the point of view of Selma the mother and parts are written from the point of view of Becky the daughter. When Becky was just a young g
Els
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both parents are important in your life, but a mother's love is different. What if she suddenly decides to leave? The least you can say is that it has a big inpact on your future. When she discloses a big secret on her dying day, your world is suddenly upside down again. You simply have to find out what happend, don't you ...?

I can't really describe what feelings the cover evokes in me, but it certainly made me want to read the book.
I liked the way the story was built. A mixture of the present
Shalini
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a different read as compared to Tracy Buchanan's previous books. The beginning started off slow. Becky's mother Selma left her family, and now 10 years hence, she was back with a secret that Becky had a sister. Becky had then to go find her Lost Sister.
Told in both Becky and Selma's POV the book jumped timeliness. The characters were complex. Becky was likable but Selma was not in some parts.
The story was a bit drawn and slow for me, I am used to a fast paced story by this author. Ther
Renita D'Silva
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this author's writing and have adored all of her books and this one is no different. I absolutely LOVED this beautiful, poignant story. Written with heart, this is a book that will stay with me and I will be thinking of the characters for a long time. Very highly recommended.
Nessa
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it

Well this has been a highly interesting and wonderful read, I was gripped from the very first page and I literally whizzed through the story as could not turn the pages fast enough.

I found the whole concept of the caves, people wanting to live in them quite unusual, pretty sure I couldn't do it myself as I'd miss my home comforts way too much. But having said that it was interesting and insightful to read all about the caves.

I thought the story was brilliantly well written and the characters a
Kelly
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a total sucker for dual timeline novels, and this one is perfectly executed. The Lost Sister is fast-paced, gripping and deeply emotional - and ZOMG - the twist!!! It takes a particularly special writer to bring together a bunch of unique ideas in a way that feels natural, but this completely unique family drama reads as heartbreakingly real. One of my standout reads of the year so far.
Katie Williams
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best one yet!

I love all of Tracy's books and this is my favourite so far. Each book has really stuck in my mind (I now have an unexpectedly strong interest in caves, just like I had an urge to discover sunken forests at one point) I don't want to spoil the book but I really did not expect the ending. I struggle to find another author with the perfect balance of mystery/romance/adventure. Cant wait for the next book!
Elizabeth St Clair
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emotional

Could not put it down was completely wrong out by the end highlights the importance off communication in stead of building walls
Diane
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The Lost Sister by Tracy Buchanan has a surprising twist at the end! No, do not read ahead or you will spoil the story for yourself. Seriously I enjoyed this book very much, even though I felt an overwhelming sadness when I finished the story. I cared about the characters even though as I read the book I was hoping some of the choices they made would have been different.
The book is written from the perspective of Selma in the early 1990's and Becky's perspective is in present time. It is very w
Paula Sealey
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I became immersed in this story while drenching myself in the suns rays and I couldn't have chosen a better book for basting myself in the sunshine with. Wonderfully written, it captures the heartache of losing touch with a parent/child and depression, but also the beauty of love and friendships and is full of quirky characters and beautifully described places.

Selma knows something isn't right in her life, but it isn't until she witnesses a man save a young boy from drowning that she begins to m
Monica Mac
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was quite a read!

Becky has had a strained relationship with her mother, Selma, ever since Selma decided that living in a cave was what she needed to do, when Becky was only a child. I found Selma to be a pretty unsympathetic character, she reminded me a little too much of my own mother and her actions throughout my life. However, Selma was parented by a mother who was hardly "Mother of the Year" material either, which probably didn't help. Luckily for Becky, she had a solid, decent pa
Carol Peace
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I was totally caught up in this book as soon a I opened it and felt as though I was there that summer and could imagine what life was like for Selma and her 'friends'back in the caves in an idyllic setting.
This is a story of two parts, Becky tells her story from the present day when she finds out her mum is very ill and even though they have been estranged for years she goes to see her and when her mother tells her that she has a sister just before she dies it throws her into turmoil and she set
Megan Jones
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It all started with a drowning many years ago. The event triggered a series of events leading to Selma leaving her family; Mike and Becky behind. Now, Selma is back in Becky's life after years of estrangement and she has one last secret to tell that sends Becky on a journey of discovery. Or is it all a lie?
This is a weird read and just not for me. It does not really fit into a genre and instead seems a mixture of a few. Then there are multiple plot threads and I do not think that they are all de
Ann
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Becky gets a phone call from her estranged mother, Selma, who only has a short time left because of cancer. Selma is a well known author who abandoned Becky when she was 8 years old with Idris, a man she had met a few days earlier. Narrated by both mother and daughter with two timelines from the 90’s and today the story is told of a missing sister and the reasons Why the mother left. The characters were well developed but I just didn’t click with either of them. I received a copy of this arc in ...more
Renee
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’m on a roll of choosing absolutely the worst things to read. This is 4 for the week. First off it is dual timeline/chapters! It’s hard for me to enjoy that. Second it is babble and Third it is written in and about the UK so the wording and slang killed it for me.

“The girls watch in rapture, as though they were seeing something for the first time “ gosh!
Not only that but I saw all these reviews that are stellar and contain the book jacket. So I say pass on it unless you like dribbling and babb
Inn Auni
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jacqueline Murphy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Firstly, this is not my usual genre, I normally tend to go for psychological thrillers/detective series so this was taking a step out of my comfort zone and I’m so glad I did. This is my first read by Tracy Buchanan but I can say it certainly won’t be the last, you have converted me to read something other than blood & guts!!

This book was told from two perspectives, one from Becky’s mother Selma during the 90s and the other from Becky set in present day. I found the book to be very well wri
Netta
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

WOW. That was some story! I don't know where to start. This book deals with family dynamics, divorce, estrangement, death, relationships and secrets. Becky is estranged from her mother Selma who left Becky when she was 8 years old. Selma went to live in a cave with a group of artists. Selma couldn't be both a mother and a writer so she left her family and found fame as a writer. Becky hears from her mother shortly before she dies when she drops the bombshell on Becky - she had another daughter.
Reece
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
A fascinating, intriguing story.
Told from the point of view of both a Mother who left her child, and the Daughter trying to deal with her Mother's dying revelation. Becky's world is turned upside down when her Mother's secret is revealed, sending her on a journey to discover the truth.
I liked the way the story was told, dipping in and out of past and future.
I found the whole experience, which it certainly was, intriguing. It was a really emotional read, with an amazing end, whic
Stacey Ellice
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kate Ellis
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle, netgalley
Described as a drama The Lost Sister is much more than this as it reads like a thriller with suspence, intrigue, and a very unexpected ending. A very satisfying read. The shifts between two points of view gave the story depth and pace. I think characterisations are believable as was the setting of cave communities.
A Davis
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tracy Buchanan does it again!
I have read all of her books and enjoyed them all; The Lost Sister is no exception.

This story follows two perspectives; Selma, who escapes her marriage, leaving young daughter Becky at home with her Dad, and Becky herself in her early 30s, struggling to come to terms with the fact she has a sister she never knew.

This is a beautifully written book, that truly sucks you in. Intriguing, likable and hugely relatable characters plus scenery so gorgeous you can't help but
Claire Dyer
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Sister is a compelling tale of motherhood and identity. I loved the atmosphere it evoked and thought it said important things about life, love and loss. The twist at the end brings the whole story to a very satisfying conclusion. Highly recommended.
Connie Fischer
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Kent, UK - 1991

Selma and Mike Rhys and their daughter Becky, age 8, live in Queensbay. While Mike would love for them to have another baby, Selma does not. She is the author of one well-received novel but has yet to publish a second one. The pressure to produce another book is getting to her.

When an unknown man appears on the beach and saves a young boy from drowning, people wonder who he is, including Selma. The beach has many chalk caves some of which house groups of people. The man Selma saw
Kookie9200
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
There were things I really liked about this book, and then things that I didn't. Overall, I loved the premise of the story, with Becky as our main character searching for the sister she never knew she had. I love the themes of complicated mother/daughter relationships, love, depression, and self discovery. These are all themes I thought the author handled well.

I did feel at times the book dragged along a little. There were points where it got a little slow, but the narrative stayed strong throu
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Going Nowhere Fast (Joe & Dottie Loudermilk, #1)
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • The Orphan Sisters
  • Finders Keepers
  • Star Struck
  • The Forever Stone
  • The Songbird Girls (Detective Tom Fabian #2)
  • The Au Pair
  • The Look of Love
  • Game Players
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)
  • Golden Eggs and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 4)
  • The Life & Legend Of Lucrezia Borgia
  • Dark Ice (Dan Reno, #4)
  • The 13th
  • The Red Cotton Fields
  • 9 Tales of Henghis Hapthorn
  • Keep You Safe
Hello! Fab to see you here. I live in Buckinghamshire, UK with my husband, my little girl and our (very naughty) puppy, Bronte.

I travelled extensively while working as a travel magazine editor, and have always been drawn to the sea after spending my childhood holidays on the south coast visiting family – a fascination that inspires my writing.

I now dedicate my time to writing and procrastinating