Start by marking “Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees” as Want to Read:
Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees

Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees

People have been retreating to the woods for quiet, meditation, and inspiration for centuries, and recent research finds that time spent in the forest doesn’t just feel good but is, in fact, good for you. Inspired by the Japanese concept of shinrin-yoku, or forest bathing, poet Hannah Fries invites readers to bask in the company of trees, whether in a city park or a rural ...more
Published September 4th 2018 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Forest Bathing Retreat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forest Bathing Retreat

Schizanthus
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I’d never heard of forest bathing prior to being drawn to the photography on the front cover of this book. In the introduction Robin Wall Kimmerer simplifies the ethereal sounding concept, calling it what it really is, “daydreaming in the woods”. Personally I prefer the daydreaming description but the translation from the Japanese term shinrin-yoku is ‘forest bathing’ so my vote doesn’t count.

I assumed (wrongly) that shinrin-yoku would have its origins centuries ago and would be rich in eastern
Etienne
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Again, for those who follows me, a book about the health benefit that the forest/tree can bring to us. This one wasn't very good in my opinion. Not much science out here, lot of quotes, idea to meditate on, more esoteric maybe, I guess... It can be good for some, it's a beautiful book, well made and all, but I have a more scientific approach on that king of subject, so it wasn't really my style.
Chelsey
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect companion to the other book on forest bathing that I read earlier this year, Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing by Dr. Qing Li. The previous book was great at explaining the science behind why forest bathing benefits us, while this one provides us with thoughtful quotes about nature from some of our literary and religious greats. Beautifully edited and extremely moving.
Avery Stempel
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautifully simple book. oscillating between prose and poetry, layered atop moving forest images. lovely read. I am buying this for my friends and family for sure!
 3 Pagans
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Episode 18 we review Forest Bathing Retreat by Hannah Fries.

A digital copy of Forest Bathing Retreat was provided to 3PAAC free of charge for an honest review.

Hannah Fries is a lifelong dendrophile and poet, author of the poetry collection Little Terrarium and contributor to Totally Unironic Conversations with The Moon, a collection of essays and poems that might feel tonally familiar to those seeking to "re-enchant". Now she has compiled a stunning collection of beautiful photography, timele
Carol
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So lovely, both in appearance and content, and packs a lot of inspiration and advice into a compact package.

Part of me wishes it were coffee table size to highlight the beautiful imagery, but its petiteness allows it to slip it into a backpack or large pocket and be taken outdoors for further inspiration.
Jeffrey Ning
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Learn shinrin-yoku from Hannah Fries’ point of view. It is liberating to know that I am dendrophile since knowing how to draw and paint in kindergarten after reading this book.

It activates your sensory experience through words and imagery that trigger your imagination and perception within you. So, it bolsters the case of why we should be saving Gaia.
Kalendra Dee
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely little book with suggestions on interacting with trees and forests. Sprinkled throughout are poems and insights. An added bonus is that it’s small enough in size so you can take it with you on your next tree adventure.
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Daneil Newcomb
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read, filled with quotes and poems about nature.
╰⊰✿Alexandria✿⊱╮
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely read. If you love hiking, gardening or just being outdoors near nature. You will really appreciate this book.
Nicole Cunha
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So refreshing. Every time I read a portion of the book a wave of calm settled over me.
Elicia
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful collection of nature poetry. Photographs likely even better in a hard copy vs my Kindle.
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many familiar poems and quotes here along with photo collages and meditations. Lovely to hold as well. Tuck it in your day pack or in a gift basket.
Alexandra
Melanie
Nov 06, 2018
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full of achingly gorgeous photos, Forest Bathing Retreat by Hannah Fries is a beautiful introduction to the concept of shinrin-ryoku, or forest bathing. Scattered throughout are quotes and poems by nature-oriented people, and each section contains meditative suggestions to help you with your own exploration of the rejuvenating effects of forest bathing. There's plenty for the linguistic and science minded as well. Words and phrases to help you better appreciate the experience of nature are also ...more
Frank
Erin
Dec 02, 2018
Ann T
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley, Hannah Fries and Storey Publishing for an ARC of the beautiful book on Forest Bathing.

I had never previously heard of Forest Bathing and after reading this book, I look forward to reading deeper about this Japanese concept.
For someone looking for an in-depth understanding of Forest Bathing perhaps this book would not be fulfilling, however if you appreciate beautiful words and photography, this book provides those plus more.

A beautiful coffee table book which would be the p
Kathryn
Dec 11, 2018
Cassandra
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book filled with stunning photos, poetry, quotes, and meditation strategies to follow when you're surrounded by nature. Personally, I feel like I would connect best with this if it were an audiobook, so I hope the publisher considers that. I can see my self going for a hike, or sitting in by the lake out at camp with my headphones in and my mind clear and just zoning out to this book. If you're in need of more nature TLC then definitely check this book out.

A huge thank you to NetGal
Amy