Start by marking “Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees” as Want to Read:
Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees

Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees

Nautilus Book Awards Silver Winner

People have been retreating to the woods for quiet, meditation, and inspiration for centuries, and recent research finds that time spent in the forest doesn’t just feel good but is, in fact, good for you. Inspired by the Japanese concept of shinrin-yoku, or forest bathing, poet Hannah Fries invites readers to bask in the company of trees,
Published September 4th 2018 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Forest Bathing Retreat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forest Bathing Retreat

Start your review of Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees
Schizanthus Nerd
I’d never heard of forest bathing prior to being drawn to the photography on the front cover of this book. In the introduction Robin Wall Kimmerer simplifies the ethereal sounding concept, calling it what it really is, “daydreaming in the woods”. Personally I prefer the daydreaming description but the translation from the Japanese term shinrin-yoku is ‘forest bathing’ so my vote doesn’t count.

I assumed (wrongly) that shinrin-yoku would have its origins centuries ago and would be rich in eastern
Avery Stempel
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautifully simple book. oscillating between prose and poetry, layered atop moving forest images. lovely read. I am buying this for my friends and family for sure!
Chelsey
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
This is a perfect companion to the other book on forest bathing that I read earlier this year, Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing by Dr. Qing Li. The previous book was great at explaining the science behind why forest bathing benefits us, while this one provides us with thoughtful quotes about nature from some of our literary and religious greats. Beautifully edited and extremely moving.
Nicole C
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So refreshing. Every time I read a portion of the book a wave of calm settled over me.
Etienne
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Again, for those who follows me, a book about the health benefit that the forest/tree can bring to us. This one wasn't very good in my opinion. Not much science out here, lot of quotes, idea to meditate on, more esoteric maybe, I guess... It can be good for some, it's a beautiful book, well made and all, but I have a more scientific approach on that king of subject, so it wasn't really my style. ...more
Beth Bunchman
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful mix of science and spirituality, poetry and photography, self help and altruism.

A coffee table book or a collection of brief writings for the commode. It may look quick and simple at the outset but it should definitely be savored.
Juli Anna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirit
Insubstantial.
Kathryn
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, poetry
This book was given to me from a dear friend. She was right in knowing I would love it. The message of the book is soothing and feels like I am at a retreat sitting in the forest. There is stunning photography, beautiful prose and fascinating facts about trees. Hannah Fries loves trees, appreciates trees, and know how important trees and the forest are to our world. This is a wonderful book to gift to yourself or to a dear friend.
 3 Pagans
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Episode 18 we review Forest Bathing Retreat by Hannah Fries.

A digital copy of Forest Bathing Retreat was provided to 3PAAC free of charge for an honest review.

Hannah Fries is a lifelong dendrophile and poet, author of the poetry collection Little Terrarium and contributor to Totally Unironic Conversations with The Moon, a collection of essays and poems that might feel tonally familiar to those seeking to "re-enchant". Now she has compiled a stunning collection of beautiful photography, timele
KayDee
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely little book with suggestions on interacting with trees and forests. Sprinkled throughout are poems and insights. An added bonus is that it’s small enough in size so you can take it with you on your next tree adventure.
Jeffrey Ning
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Learn shinrin-yoku from Hannah Fries’ point of view. It is liberating to know that I am dendrophile since knowing how to draw and paint in kindergarten after reading this book.

It activates your sensory experience through words and imagery that trigger your imagination and perception within you. So, it bolsters the case of why we should be saving Gaia.
Carol Reich
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So lovely, both in appearance and content, and packs a lot of inspiration and advice into a compact package.

Part of me wishes it were coffee table size to highlight the beautiful imagery, but its petiteness allows it to slip it into a backpack or large pocket and be taken outdoors for further inspiration.
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many familiar poems and quotes here along with photo collages and meditations. Lovely to hold as well. Tuck it in your day pack or in a gift basket.
Alexandria
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely read. If you love hiking, gardening or just being outdoors near nature. You will really appreciate this book.
Walkandread
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful collection of nature poetry. Photographs likely even better in a hard copy vs my Kindle.
nevrstopsmilin
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
take a slow, deep breath. imagine your muscles relaxing with each exhale.

psithurism
the sound of wind in the trees and rustling of leaves

as you walk through the forest, feel your own body react and respond. invite the forest in through your senses...

komorebi (japanese)
sunlight filtering through the leaves of trees

petrichor
the smell of earth after rain

some days, some weeks, maybe even some months, it is easy to feel like a broken tree after an ice storm: full of cracked branches creaking in their
Debbie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such an enjoyable book! It helps us remember how to enjoy the trees around us, gives us beautiful words to soak in, and teaches us some very interesting things. I enjoyed it out under a tree but it would even be a fantastic read inside. I checked mine out from the library but I enjoyed it so much I will buy my own copy for sure!
Monica
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
the book is beautiful. The photos and layout are wonderful. It focuses however, on the obvious. When you are in a natural space you should pay attention. It makes me sad that people need to learn that from a book. I enjoyed the poems. I wish it had included Joyce Kilmer’s “Trees”.
Daneil Newcomb
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read, filled with quotes and poems about nature.
Kara
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
nice little insomnia book. pretty pictures and inspiration.
Lisa Hardman
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A small but BIG "soul-comfort" book filled with gorgeous nature photographs and lovely, lyrical writing. ...more
Stef J.
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A breath of fresh air- short read, incredibly pleasant and soothing, which places perfectly into words my love of the outdoors. Truly medicinal
Kristen Mastel
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely little books of poetry, images and some new favorite words....
Nancy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A short, gentle, inspiring, and surprisingly delightful book about being out among the trees and in nature.
Raya Sun
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous book I had the pleasure of reading while inhaling the fragrance of cypress oil in the burner.

Reiterates the union of mankind and nature, the importance and healing power of trees.

Juli
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The photos alone are reason enough to read this book that celebrates and encourages time in the natural world. I knew I was a dendrophile but also learned that I am a solivagant. What will you learn?
Alli Tripp
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all need this walk in the forest
Don Watkins
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A retreat you must not miss.

Some folks give up chocolate. This book has been a profound lent for me. I recommend a retreat that centers on the beauty of the earth that surrounds us.
Cassandra
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book filled with stunning photos, poetry, quotes, and meditation strategies to follow when you're surrounded by nature. Personally, I feel like I would connect best with this if it were an audiobook, so I hope the publisher considers that. I can see my self going for a hike, or sitting in by the lake out at camp with my headphones in and my mind clear and just zoning out to this book. If you're in need of more nature TLC then definitely check this book out.

A huge thank you to NetGal
Ann T
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley, Hannah Fries and Storey Publishing for an ARC of the beautiful book on Forest Bathing.

I had never previously heard of Forest Bathing and after reading this book, I look forward to reading deeper about this Japanese concept.
For someone looking for an in-depth understanding of Forest Bathing perhaps this book would not be fulfilling, however if you appreciate beautiful words and photography, this book provides those plus more.

A beautiful coffee table book which would be the p

• Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing
  • Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses
  • The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku
  • Solo: A Memoir of Hope
  • Star Wars: From the Journals of Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • The Soul of a Woman
  • Star Wars #12
  • Goblin Slayer, Vol. 1 (Light Novel)
  • Sleep Toward Heaven