Start by marking “Build-a-Bowl: 77 Satisfying Nutritious Combos: Whole Grain + Vegetable + Protein + Sauce = Meal” as Want to Read:
Build-a-Bowl: 77 Satisfying  Nutritious Combos: Whole Grain + Vegetable + Protein + Sauce = Meal

Build-a-Bowl is a fun and healthy way to put good food on the table! Popular food blogger and teacher Nicki Sizemore’s fuss-free method starts with a grain base, whether it’s a popular favorite such as brown rice or an ancient grain like farro. Add a layer of fresh vegetables and herbs, follow that with a lean protein, and then finish it off with a flavorful sauce for a de ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Build-a-Bowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build-a-Bowl

Selena
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free e-copy of Build-a-bowl by Nicki Sizemore from NetGalley for my honest review.

First of all I am absolutely in love with this cookbook. Three weeks ago I hired a personal trainer and I train with her 3 days per week. I also am being very strict with what I am putting in my body. This is the perfect book for me and anyone who wants to eat healthy. The recipes are wonderful and easy for anyone to make. The book outlines how to create a healthy bowl with a grain, veggies, protein, s
"GRAINS + VEGETABLES + PROTEIN + SAUCE + GARNISH = SUPERPOWER MEAL!"
I absolutely love this healthy build-a-bowl concept! We have a new restaurant in town offering these exact types of meals, and since checking it out, I've recreated the idea at home by cooking bulk brown rice then adding whatever to it. However, in this cookbook, the author educates you on just about every edible whole grain on the planet and the options are literally endless!

Nicki Sizemore's goal with the Build-a-Bowl cookb
Kelli
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I’ve always loved the idea of the Buddha bowl, but mine always tend to be the same: brown rice, spinach, sweet potato, egg. Yawn! I don’t love cooking but I have a family to feed, so I cook dinner every night and I’m not creative with food, so I sometimes put dinner on the table that looks like what I ate as a child, even though I never loved that meat/vegetable/starch (boring) dinner.

This book is fantastic. It provides information about various grains, time-saving preparation tips, a basic “ad
Elisabeth
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Back in the olden days, before I bought a music CD, I wanted at least one or two really good songs I loved and a few I liked enough listen to repeatedly. I purchase cookbooks the same way. This book is full of great, simple recipes that are easy to modify. There are at least 5 I know will be added to our regular meal rotation. I was even able to try a couple out right away with ingredients I already had..and they were yum!
Michael
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I liked the concept of this book. As someone who works in Manhattan, a quick grab-n-go lunch is crucial for me. I want something healthy and quality, but with flavor. grain and salad bowls are a go-to for me but it's easy to rack up fat and calories. I love the idea that these can be made at home with a simple recipe:

whole grain + veggie + protein + sauce = meal.

And truly, it is that easy.

The book discusses which grains are best to build a delicious bowl, as well as tips and advice for choosi
Kris Rafferty
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been cooking for forty years, so I scrolled past most of the beginning of this book, but I understand the value of detailing ingredients. Most people don't cook anymore. They buy prepackaged. This book shows a different way to prepare a meal that relies on wholesome ingredients combined in interesting ways. There is lots to like with this cookbook. Using standard ingredients (and not so standard - I loved all the cashew sauces) meat, seafood, veggie meals prepared in new and healthy ways. H ...more
Jesica DeHart
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bowls are the new plate and while there may be a few bowl themed cookbooks there is none quite so flavorful or with attention to texture as Nikki Sizemore’s Build-a-Bowl which I might insert the word “better” into the title because this really is the bees knees of bowl themed recipes and absolutely deliciously inspiring.
Guylou
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love reading cookbooks. First of all, I love cooking and secondly, I love discovering new ways to prepare delicious and nutritious meals. The past year or so, I often encountered meal-in-a-bowl types of recipes. I tried a few and love the concept. When I saw that Storey Publishing was offering an ARC of Build-a-Bowl: 77 Satisfying Nutritious Combos: Whole Grain + Vegetable + Protein + Sauce = Meal by Nicki Sizemore on NetGalley, I jumped on the opportunity to request it. The book is a fast rea ...more
Dree
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for providing me with an Adobe Digital Edition ARC of this book.
———
I requested this from NetGalley because I love Bibigo and miss Shop House--I love the make-your-own-bowl method of grabbing a fast lunch.

Sizemore explains her "use what you have" philosophy--which is my philosophy when cooking as well. Reading her intro chapter really helped me wrap my brain around how to make this work better for me than it currently does (I have a tendency to make soup
Alicia Bayer
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, versatile cookbook that inspired me to want to try all kinds of new bowl dishes. It's broken up into the following sections:

Build a Bowl Basics
How to cook all kinds of grains (including gluten free, with paleo alternatives)
Build a Bowl Meals:
Fruits
Eggs
Vegetables
Legumes
Chicken, Turkey & Pork
Beef & Lamb
Seafood

Vegan and vegetarian options are given, but tofu is pretty much the only substitution mentioned for all of the meat recipes, which would mean an excessive amount of tof
Jill
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and Storey Publishing, LLC for Build-a-Bowl: 77 Satisfying & Nutritious Combos: Whole Grain + Vegetable + Protein + Sauce = Meal by Nicki Sizemore. This book is filled with relatively quick and easy bowl meals that are delicious and nutritious. The book is divided into chapters based on ingredients – fruit, eggs, beef & lamb, etc. And the book is built on the premise of the subtitle…delicious meals can be made by combing a grain, vegetable, protein, sauce, and garn ...more
Janet
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher ---
Build-a-Bowl is a fun and healthy way to put good food on the table! Popular food blogger and teacher Nicki Sizemore’s fuss-free method starts with a grain base, whether it’s a popular favourite such as brown rice or an ancient grain like farro. Add a layer of fresh vegetables and herbs, follow that with a lean protein, then finish it off with a flavorful sauce for a del
Joanne Liddement
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very inspiring book which gives recipes to create healthy and substantial lunches, which can be served in a bowl, which is the trendy way of eating now.
The chapters cover, fruit, eggs,vegetable,legumes,chicken turkey, pork, beef, lamb and seafood. There are lots of colour pictures of the finished dish which is important to me as i like to see the finished result to compare with my own results.
I was pleased to see adaptions and variations for vegetarians which as most of the recipes are
Maureen
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
What's better than a meal that is easy to put together, visually pleasing, healthy and allows for a quick clean
up? Build-A-Bowl Very nice!
I have to admit as a home cook that loves cookbooks I was a bit sceptical about a digital e-book cookbook. I received an advance readers copy of the book and was not disappointed at all. It has all the best features of a cookbook, great photos and directions that are simple to follow...It is informative with photographs to help familiarize the reader with t
Kristine
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Build-a-Bowl by Nicki Sizemore is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late July.

Sizemore's book is really inspiring, especially for someone stuck in a rice bowl or burrito bol mode.
There's a scattered, creative and colorful use of photography and eyecatching use of headings & inset tips alongside suggestions for recipes centered around individual ingredients within the realms of fruit/veg and protein. The grain ingredients are outlined almost like profiles or dossiers; this really has m
LaToya
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced read copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

Nicki Sizemore's Build a Bowl: 77 Satisfying & Nutritious Combos: Whole Grain + Vegetable + Protein + Sauce = Meal promises to give us a fuss-free customizable fun and healthy way to put good food on the table, and she delivers! Using Sizemore’s easy formula, we can create healthy, quick meals sure to satisfy the whole family. One of the best aspects of the recipes provided is that you can substitute
Jessie Young
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous looking food in this book! Love all the less common ingredients they include. Each of these less common ingredients has a page dedicated to it with multiple cooking methods and great descriptions about the history and use of the ingredient. Love the arrangement of the recipes. They are clearly laid out. Easy to follow directions. Very clear ingredients list. BUT Need pictures of each recipe in the page with the recipe. Only a few of the recipes have pictures next to them. Great descript ...more
Michelle Mock
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion and review.

I love the idea behind this cookbook; the recipes are healthy, they contain the essentials and is (for the most part) pretty easy to throw together. The author goes into detail on ingredients at the beginning in order to set the stage on how to shop for the healthy and wholesome items; and so that if you're not knowledgeable on what to look for and what to shop for, you will after so
Camille
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very thorough as it explains in details what the different types of grains are and how to cook them (from basic rice to more obscure grains that we don't often hear about). The concept of the bowl meal is explained clearly and simply, with lots of nice photographs and illustrations.

The recipes are varied, ranging from sweet to fish. I want to try so many of them. I often get bored of eating the same stuff for breakfast, so I particularly liked the sweet recipes.

I think this is a boo
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Pictures of recipes? Yes.
Commentary on recipes? Some.
Nutrition facts? None.
Recipe Style? Bowls inspired by various cuisine types.
Any keepers? A few.

Some of these recipes can be very involved, with various components to cook before assembling your final bowl. If you're willing to put in the effort, many of these look delicious and healthy. There is also a lengthy section dedicated to cooking almost every kind of grain you could get your hands on, so this is a great resource for that.
Muriel
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Build-a -Bowl does make is easy to recreate some favorite flavors and dishes in a new way. Basic information about grains, measuring, etc is explained in the beginning. Throughout the cookbook are recipes for creating meals that are easy to modify based on dietary restrictions or taste levels. The meal formula is easy - grains, vegetables, protein, sauce, and garnish. This book will easily help with quick dinners that will allow diners to customize their meal.
Victor
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A ton of information on the ingredients themselves, everything from where it's from, how each ingredient tastes, how to pair it with other things to get the flavor you want to achieve.
The only thing is that some of the ingredients aren't readily available in most grocery stores and not everyone can afford to shop at whole foods and similar chains.
Lisa
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was not the book for me but very interesting for someone who is into that type of thing. At the beginning of the book it goes into detail about different grains and what not for the bowls. Some of the recipes can be very intensive, a lot goes into making something like this. I liked the idea of the book but many of the ingredients for the bowls are not ones that I would go for.
Critterbee❇
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, netgalley, f
Cute, hands on, easy to follow guide to learning how to easily construct healthy, balanced bowls of food. Make ahead options are included, as well as a few variations. I liked many of the recipes, as well as the basic information provided that would enable the reader to start inventing custom, healthy dishes to their liking.

*eARC Netgalley*
Ashley Nikole
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a lovely cookbook. I appreciated how she went into explaining to her readers the different base's, so that we could mix and match and create a bunch of different recipes, by knowing what to do for the base of a bowl! While I haven't tried any of the recipe's yet, there were so many that I would LOVE to whip up and enjoy. There was great diversity among the recipes.
Jo
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This is very informative, it has information on grains and other ingredients and info and pictures on all the grains used in the book. The recipes look very delicious and the pictures are wonderful.
The downside is the cooking and prep times. Without batch cooking the grains each recipe seems to take at least 30 minutes with some exceptions.
Thanks to netgalley for letting me read this.
Lexi
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative. As someone who needs a visual guide I found this to have a good picture to recipe ratio. I really liked the options and how the directions were broken down into sections. This was nice, easy to follow, and actually had appetizing recipes! The only downside was no nutrition info.
Bookworm Between the Sheets
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am obsessed with being able to Build-A-Bowl type meals. Especially with three young kids these types of meals are fundamentally essential in our weekly meals. I enjoyed the diverse meals along with the simplicity of ingredients to put some of them together.
BookBec
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
I wish the recipes had all followed the grain + veg + protein + sauce formula. I'm on the lookout especially for sauce recipes to use in similar bowls. But while many recipes used the title formula, many others didn't. The sauce might be a marinade or salad dressing or some other integrated part of the dish, rather than a topping.
Overall, the recipes looked tasty, just not exactly what I was looking for.
Denise
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great, healthy cookbook that offers a lot of options and gives you the basics on how to build a bowl. I would have liked to have seen a whole chapter devoted to sauces, but they are mixed in with each recipe.
« previous 1 3 next »