Start by marking “The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)

The Tenth Case (Jaywalker #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  270 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
He’s always trusted his clients…until the last one.

Criminal defense attorney Harrison J. Walker, better known as Jaywalker, has just been suspended for using “creative” tactics and receiving “gratitude” in the courtroom stairwell from a client charged with prostitution. Convincing the judge that his other clients are counting on him, Jaywalker is allowed to complete ten ca
Published September 23rd 2008 by Mira (first published May 1st 2008)

Paradoxe
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Βιβλίο Σαββατοκύριακου, κοινώς λίγη εύπεπτη διασκέδαση με τον τρόπο που μόνο ένα βιβλίο μπορεί να παρέχει.

Δεν είναι αστυνομικό. Κατ' εξοχήν δικαστικό. Ο συγγραφέας είναι δικηγόρος και το αποδεικνύει από την αρχή ως το τέλος εισάγοντας μας στη διαδικασία μιας δίκης σε ένα Αμερικανικό δικαστήριο, από τα απλά, στα σύνθετα ακόμη και σε ό,τι αφορά τη συνοχή των σχέσεών ανάμεσα στους εκπροσώπους του Δικαίου.

Μετρια διαπλασμένοι χαρακτήρες. Καλή η χημεία Μπερκ - Τζέϊγουοκερ, αμφίβολη μεταξύ Τζέϊγουοκερ
Eric_W
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal-drama
Unlike Bronx Justice Bronx Justice by Joseph Teller which was more or less autobiographical, this novel has more humor and less of a sense of doom. It has some funny lines, related to the way things work, like cop-speak. The cop writes in his report: " 'did knowlingly and voluntarily grant them consent to affect entry of the premises.' Jaywalker would go to his grave in awe over how cops abused the English language. It was as though, in order to receive their guns and shields, they were first required to surrender their abl ...more
Reading and Living
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
El abogado criminalista Harrison J. Walker, de 49 años, viudo y con una hija ya graduada -llamado en los bajos fondos donde habita la mayoría de sus defendidos Jaywalker- es suspendido del ejercicio de la abogacía durante 3 años por su mala conducta. Solicita se le permita solucionar diez casos que tiene pendientes, lo cual le es aprobado. Trabajando a marchas forzadas logra la solución de nueve de ellos… pero el décimo es un claro caso perdido.

Una diminuta y hermosa mujer de 26 años, llamada Sa
Mandy
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I absolutely love this book and can't wait to read more from this author. I guess this is a series about the same lawyer. I really enjoyed the character and his inability to follow the rules. I related to him!!!! The storytelling is great, and the plot's twists and turns are so much fun. This is one of my favorite new (at least to me) authors!
Diane
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is very entertaining, witty, fast paced, often down-right funny, and also seriously grim in places. I recommend this read to anyone who likes a mix of comedy and drama in easy doses.

Diane Davis White
Author, Moon of the Falling Leaves
Ana O. Feliz
I can't believe how was the end.
I had deceived all the time.
and I loved during all the history
description
Mary Neel
Great 'courtroom case' book!
Kath
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didnt like the end, but the book is good in general. ...more
Anna Piranha
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Really slow pacing. A lot of legal procedural details. Completely annoying epilogue.
Billy
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a boring read, but not great either...,

I will offer openly that I'm not a big fan of legal thrillers or court-room dramas, but this book still caught my eye because of the uncommon protagonist.
I kind of had the feeling, about halfway through this book, that the ending was going to be a bit cliche if not predictable. I give Teller points for the unpredictable part, but it was cliche. The twist at the end was good, but the very end (the last page or two) was straight from many a movie script.

T
Jenene
Between "really liked it" and "amazing"! Loved the ending . . . look forward to reading more from this author.
Glenda Bixler
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
If you are a fan of the legal system, especially court cases, then The Tenth Case, by Joseph Teller will be a must-read for you!

“It had long been Jaywalker’s belief that if you were to pull any ten criminal cases out of a hat, one of those ten could be won by the very worst of defense lawyers...At the opposite end of the spectrum would be the tenth case, one that even the best of defense lawyers couldn’t possibly win...” p. 105

Jaywalker was a great criminal defense lawyer—one of the best. But w
Kelly
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Tenth Case by Joseph Teller opens with an attorney, Harrison J. Walker AKA “Jaywalker” standing in front of a disciplinary committee. Jaywalker is suspended from the practice of law for three years due to his use of “creative” tactics and for the fact that he received an oral “token of gratitude” in the courthouse stairwell from a grateful client, while in full view of a security camera. He is told to pick ten of his unfinished cases to complete and hand the rest off.

Jaywalker’s tenth case
Carey
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Manhattan lawyer Harrison J. Walker has, for the length of his twenty-plus year career, been known simply as Jaywalker. In court, the judge usually calls him Mr. Jaywalker. He is that rare criminal defense attorney who believes that a defendant deserves at least one person in his corner, even if the defendant is guilty as sin. This belief has helped Jaywalker achieve a high acquittal rate. Extremely high. Exceeding ninety percent, in fact.

In order to achieve this remarkably high acquittal rate,
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 stars Solid start for a new legal series...., November 8, 2008

This review is from: The Tenth Case (Paperback)

To me it's always about the ending. I can be reading along, enjoying a book immensely when WHAM!, the ending blows me out of the water for good or for bad--so ultimately, my opinion of a book is only as good as I like the ending. That said, I really liked this one.

The plot reads like a cliché of every legal thriller I've ever read, but somehow the way that Teller writes it -
Sandie
In my humble opinion The Tenth Case by Joseph Teller is not a suspense thriller nor is it a true mystery. It is more a legal drama with various portions of the story written in the form of a trial transcript that reads like the dialog in the courtroom portion of a Law and Order episode.

The story is told from the perspective of criminal defense attorney Harrison J. Walker, a man with the unlikely nickname of Jaywalker, who thru a series of circumstances and unlikely coincidences finds himself def
Tina Hayes
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, vine
Joseph Teller's 'The Tenth Case' is a wonderful example of a legal thriller.

Jaywalker is a quirky lawyer who has just been suspended from practicing law for three years. The lewd act he and a hooker were caught on tape engaging in--in the courthouse stairwell of all places--was the final straw. But, taking his near perfect win record into consideration, the judges finally agree to let him finish handling ten cases he's already taken on. The final one, the tenth case, is a client named Samara Ta
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Sep 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-shelf-worthy
When I was asked to review this book, it sounded interesting. Truly it did. The premise is that a renegade lawyer, threatened with disbarment, tries his last case: a young, beautiful wife accused of murdering her elderly, billionaire husband.

The main character, Jaywalker, has potential. The accused, Samara, isn't someone you like, let alone care about. You don't even want her to get acquitted. The book is gritty and realistic, with some twists, turns and of course, the anticipated deceptions. Yo
Anthony Naprstek
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to start by saying I thought the idea of having "ten final cases" before suspension for a lawyer was a pretty good idea. Actually, almost every aspect of this book was pretty good- just pretty good. The writing was pretty good, during the serious and the humorous parts. His writing was good enough that there was flow and organization, just nothing spectacular. The character development was defined enough for you to get a gist of their character and ambitions but not so much that whe ...more
Kimberly / Love Notes Book Blog
Read and reviewed in 2008 -

I really enjoyed this book! The Tenth Case by Joseph Teller is a legal thriller in which a criminal defense attorney, who goes by the nickname Jaywalker, defends Samara Moss, an Anna Nicole Smith type gold digger whose millionaire husband is found murdered. I do not usually read legal thrillers, but I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. It had many twists and turns, a surprise ending and held my attention. The gritty characters seems very true to life and I co
Andrew
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're going to be in Skynyrd, you've gotta play Freebird, right? I mean, what choice do you have?

So it occurs to me that writing in a genre must pose quite a challenge because, on one hand you've got to find a way to make it fresh and interesting and different from all the others, while still holding true to the expectations of the genre on the other hand. (You've still got to play Freebird.)

Well, Joesph Teller manages to walk that tightrope - spanning innovation and traditional genre - in t
Samantha
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Vine Book
I didn't think this book was a bad book for a debut novel. It was actually pretty good. I enjoyed the pacing of it. It is very quick paced and you didn't know what was going to happen next. Does it have some holes? Yes, Mr. Teller needed a little better editor as some of the final plot points needed more explanation and needed to be better written. I thought that he developed his main character, Jaywalker pretty well. I liked him and look forward to seeing some updates on what his life now holds ...more
Bill
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
A wildly entertaining lawyer who will do anything to win a case. He goes by the name Jaywalker and is about to be suspended by the judiciary review board for his outrageous behavior in the courtroom and elsewhere (with an appreciative female client)in the courthouse. He is told to get rid of all pending cases but the board allows him to keep ten cases that are too far along and shouldn't be assigned to another lawyer. He clears nine cases but the tenth case--a murder trial--is the heart of the s ...more
Benjamin
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Think Perry Mason. But in this case, the defense attorney is Harrison J. Walker, aka Jaywalker. He's about to be suspended for misconduct but is allowed to complete ten of his current cases. This is the tenth case, a young trophy wife arrested for the murder of her forty-years-older billionaire husband. Or maybe, as Jaywalker puts it, for every ten cases, there is one that no lawyer could lose, eight that some lawyers would win and some would lose, and the tenth case, that no lawyer could win. I ...more
James Fearn
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nero Award 2008. The novel takes you through a trial from the beginning to the end. The characters are likeable enough to have kept my interest. It is an easy enough book to follow the plot and keep track of most of the characters. Some points of the novel are repetitive and some of the legal concepts should be understood, but are described in detail anyhow. However, I did like the book overall, enough to give it 3 1/2 stars. It is odd that it had the same outcome as the last book I read.
Suzie Quint
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Can't remember how I got turned onto this book, but I'm glad I was. I really enjoyed this. The characters are strongly written and humanly flawed, and the ending didn't disappoint as they so often do. The author really knows his procedures for murder trials (not surprising since he's a lawyer) but it all is structured to work against the hero and his client. There's no easy out and no sense that the author cheated, so I'll be reading more from Mr. Teller.
Sharon
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book far better than I actually did. Teller draws upon his background as a DEA agent and criminal defense attorney to craft a courtroom and police procedural that is fast-paced, but stereotypical. From the portrayal of the ill-spoken New York detective to the trailer-trash female protagonist, Teller manages to draw characters that we've seen a dozen times before. I could see the end coming for miles, and was disappointed to be right.
Cheryl
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Harrision Jay Walker otherwise known as Jaywalker is a criminal defense attorny. He has just been suspended for accepting graditude from a client. He convinces the judge to let him finishout ten of his cases. What Jaywalker didn't know was that his tenth case would test his smarts.

The Tenth Case is the first novel by Joseph Teller in a series of novels featuring Jaywalker. I liked this book but it did move a little slow at first but once I got into the book more it was good.
Patt
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Jaywalker is finishing his tenth case allowed before his suspension. He is defending a young widow charged with killing her elderly wealthy husband. But did she? All the evidence points that way until Jaywalker discovers a clue that leads to the dismissal of the case. BUT....was she really innocent?
Lisa
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. One thing I did not like about the author is he would periodically stop in his storytelling and address "you the reader" - this is very disruptive to the story and slows the reading down. I did not particularly care for how he ended the story, either. I'm not sure I would buy another book of his.
  • Poslednje proleće u Parizu
  • Restitution
  • Sleeping with Beauty (Glass Slipper, Inc., #3)
  • La décima sinfonía
  • Blood And Bone
  • The Courtesan's Lover
  • The Sadness of the Samurai
  • El paciente
  • The Gatekeeper (Kelly Jones, #3)
  • Maid of Murder (India Hayes, #1)
Joseph Teller was born and raised in New York City. He graduated from the College of Wooster in Ohio and the University of Michigan Law School. He returned to New York City, where he spent three years as an agent with the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (the precursor of the Drug Enforcement Administration), doing undercover work. For the next 35 years, he worked as a criminal defense attorney, repres ...more
More about Joseph Teller...

Jaywalker (5 books)
  • Bronx Justice (Jaywalker, #2)
  • Depraved Indifference (Jaywalker, #3)
  • Overkill (Jaywalker, #4)
  • Guilty as Sin (Jaywalker, #5)
“But evidently it wasn’t meant to be. When it unraveled, it unraveled in a hurry.” 2 likes
“But sometimes one out of three can be good enough.” 2 likes