Start by marking “welcome to ghost town” as Want to Read:
welcome to ghost town

welcome to ghost town

these are the stories of
people i once knew.
life anymore but
you’re still the ghosts
who haunt me.

- welcome to ghost town

*please be advised that there is a trigger warnings page
Published October 23rd 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about welcome to ghost town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about welcome to ghost town

Start your review of welcome to ghost town
Gretchen Gomez
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: poetry-verse, 2018
this was really hard to write. thanks to those who started this journey with me when it was on my blog august of 2016 and thanks to those who rooted for this even after. it's been an emotional ride. although this is my second poetry collection to the world, in my heart it will always by my first. i cried more tears while writing this. i am very proud of speaking my truth and i am not ashamed of giving myself 5 stars.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While her first collection felt like a continuous journey this second collection while having the same stunning writing offers something different. This is a photo album that gives us tiny peeks into different formative scenes, the good the bad and the ugly. In the same candid way we are learning to expect from Gomez she offers us something so much more raw for the way it only shares a sliver of the pain.
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
RTC closer to publication date
Stephanie Gillespie
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2018
Welcome to Ghost Town is Gretchen’s second poetry collection. It is different than Love and You, but holds the same lyrical writing. This collection is incredible! I am so blessed Gretchen asked me to read it before the publication date. This is a stunning and beautifully written poetry collection.

Welcome to Ghost Town is about 25 ghosts, each given a name and a voice. Gretchen pours her soul into her writing. Addressing a lot of tough issues such as sexual assault, domestic violence, homophobi
Kari
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in the past couple years i've read a lot of poetry books but i don't believe i've ever been on the verge of tears while reading one, until now. i've been waiting for this book since it was a series of blog posts. i've never read a book so honest, so raw, so heavy, or so - no pun intended - haunting in my life. the author has bared her soul, her pain, and the darker parts of her life on these pages and i can only hope to have so much strength, and so much courage to do the same. this book is not ...more
Ashley Rose
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This collection is incredible!

25 ghosts, each given a name and each having their own unique voices' that live beneath the authors' consumed me from the beginning. I devoured the book in one sitting, and then started reading it again just to soak it in, to make sure I didn't miss any words, any punch lines, any hidden messages Gomez left for the reader to find. I suggest everyone does the same. There is so much depth to this collection - to these ghosts - you need to allow them to hau
Kaliane Faye
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bookmarked so many poems in this book. This raw, perfect, emotional book left me tearful and wistful. If you want to just FEEL something, this is the perfect read. I couldn’t be any more proud of Gretchen than I am right now. Her second collection offers growth, beauty, poise and vengefulness in such an intoxicating blend. Definitely will be reading again and again.
Mariely
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful poetry collection! I felt the pain in every word. It was so emotional! I appreciate the trigger warnings included by the author. Some poems were hard to read, and I think that’s why it took me a while to finish it. But trust me, it’s amazing!!!
Anne Chivon
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? Everything about this collection was perfect. 11/10 always recommend.
Leila Tualla
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I think of ghost towns, I think “empty,” “ silent,” but walking through feeling every bit like someone or something is taking you in; watching your every move hidden in the darkness.
This collection isn’t what I’d label as “haunting.” It is a brutally honest walk through this shell of our memories and calling out every single skeleton in our proverbial closet and demanding it/them to show themselves out. There are trigger warnings peppered throughout the book, some ghosts have more tha
SteffyJay (Little Booky Nook)
I absolutely loved this book 💖 Gretchen’s poetry has a way of hitting me in the feels, which is what poetry should do. I’ll update this review later when I’m at a computer.
K.Y. Robinson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gretchen isn't afraid to take you there and that's what I enjoy about her writing. There are no sunshine, rainbows, and glitter in this collection. There is gravel, ghosts, and shards of glass.
cheyenne raine
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book.

this book. THIS BOOK. just stunning. i have no words for all the emotions that came with this poetry collection. i just have the feelings and memories and appreciation. worth a read if you are looking for something raw and honest.
Brittany Tucker
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Ghost town is a stunning collection of poetry from Gretchen Gomez. A brilliant follow up from her first collection "Love, and You", Ms. Gomez has blown it out of the water. Welcome to Ghost Town is a collection of poetry detailing the stories of the Ghosts that still haunt her- some happy, some sad, some scary. Friendships that were lost, abusive lovers that never saw justice, family members that she loves and misses. No one is spared in this brutally raw book, but you can feel the ca ...more
Meghan
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this poetry collection, the author, Gomez takes her readers on a journey through the people who were once in her life. Through everything this intense and fierce book showcases Gomez’s bold writing. As the reader reads the poems it’s almost like they are absorbing Gomez’s pain and hurt and letting her release all that she’s been holding onto. Her words are sharp and they are powerful and it’s very clear how much of a fighter and a survivor the she is. The sequence of these poems didn’t matter ...more
Shannon O'Connor
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I’m amazed once again by Gretchen’s work. This book is split up into 25 ghosts and whether you have been hurt by a friend or a lover or an ex or even a family member, you can relate to one if not most of these ghosts. Each ghost created a story that made me want to know more. My only complaint is that I wish each ghost had more poems. Her writing is amazing, creating such imagery, I could feel the pain and trauma she went through in each page. With that being said, Gretchen makes sure to provide ...more
Nicki Naomi
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gretchen has done it again. Although, she hasn’t done it the same as the first time. This collection is no reflection of the last. To me, it is (in so many ways) extremely different… refreshing even. She is bravely speaking her truth and the truth of so many others at the same time. I was brought to tears a few times. Especially in the moments I caught myself also reflecting on traumas of my past. Any time an author is this raw and vulnerable, they deserve to have their voices heard. It’s never ...more
Cris Anne Imperial
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
True to its name, Welcome to Ghost Town provides readers with both a greeting and a warning of the emotions that are coming. I liked how the chapters are grouped according to monsters. It made the book eerie and haunting because of its arrangement and powerful words, of course. I have also highlighted a couple of lines in the book because they are just so relatable and true in so many levels. I've read that the author didn't mean for this to go big and that makes it even more beautiful because i ...more
Kaylabookworm22 L
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was hard to read at times because of the content. Some of it was triggering as I could relate to some of the pieces. But it was all so beautifully written. I am glad to have read this book. I really have a lot of respect for this author and how personal she gets in her books. I look forward to reading more from her.
Jenefer R
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
She Sings To My Soul

Gretchen has laid bare her experiences and feelings. She has shared herself and in her words, I have found pieces of myself and my experiences. Her pain runs deep and her strength runs deeper. This collection resonated with me immensely. Beautiful, painful, evocative.
Joelle Montalvo
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She does it again!

Everytime I finish reading one of Gretchen's books I am always overwhelmed with emotions and revelations and resolutions to my life's issues! It's like she is always in my head contemplating the madness within. Thanks for another book that speaks to my soul!
Morgan Scott
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Ghost Town haunted me in ways I didn’t expect it to. The poems are a variety of wounds many encounter in life, and there’s something healing about knowing you are not alone. Gretchen nailed it with her descriptions, her heartfelt prose, and her strength.
Hira Chaudhary
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of poetry was so different from others I've read, because there was no healing at the end of the story of people who had stepped into your life to destroy you. There was no easy answer to how to deal with it and move forward. But because these people were "ghosts" it implies that you CAN move forward, that things do get better, that those people who only step into your life to make it worse will one day become ghosts of your past, stories you tell, people you move away from. I re ...more
Elisabet Salas
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreakingly beautiful

Gretchen opens herself and pours out her soul in this collection. It is heartbreaking and beautiful. She is such an amazing poet. A true inspiration.
Kendra
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Michelle Smith
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to say im blown away by this poets beautiful, powerful, heartfelt words. Her collection has moved me and inspired me. This is a must read.
Diana
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great read! I had a bittersweet smile when I finished ghost twenty five because the cover art made such sense!
blackplume
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gina
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the perception and the stories. Gretchen is a refreshing voice in the modern poetic community.
Alicia Cook
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a strong return by Gomez. The growth between her two collections is evident. Her transparency here is refreshing. Plus, gorgeous cover! I look forward to more more more!

• Dragonhearts
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • Semicolon ;
  • Nocturnal
  • in the absence of the sun
  • Sincerely,
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • soft in the middle
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • My Dearest Hurricane: Love and Things that Looked like It
  • Beautiful Mistakes
  • Uncaged Wallflower
  • Black Book of Poems
  • Bones in the Garden
Gretchen Gomez is a Puerto Rican poet from The Bronx. When home you will find her watching crime shows, cuddling with her dog, or writing—trying to make sense of things. Gretchen is a full-time lover of words. She is the author of love, and you. She's also working on other collections.

You can find her here:
twitter: chicnerdreads
instagram: chicnerdreads
blog: chicnerdre
“you tried b u r n i n g me down not knowing you were fucking with a g o d d e s s” 0 likes