Start by marking “An Argumentation of Historians: The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book Nine” as Want to Read:
An Argumentation of Historians: The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book Nine

An Argumentation of Historians: The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book Nine

(The Chronicles of St Mary's #9)

The ninth book in the bestselling British madcap time-travelling series, served with a dash of wit that seems to be everyone’s cup of tea.

Behind the seemingly innocuous facade of St. Mary’s Institute of Historical Research, a different kind of academic work is taking place. Just don’t call it “time travel”?these historians “investigate major historical events in contempo
Published April 12th 2018 by Accent Press

To ask other readers questions about An Argumentation of Historians, please sign up.
Berni Phillips This one has a breezy introduction in which she addresses this issue. Evidently many of us were traumatized by #8, and her editor told her to ease off…moreThis one has a breezy introduction in which she addresses this issue. Evidently many of us were traumatized by #8, and her editor told her to ease off a bit. There are still tragic happenings in this book, but it's worth reading. I love this series.(less)
Julia Looks like the release date shifted back a month. It was supposed to come out mid-March, now it's mid-April. I really hope she's okay as well, I love…moreLooks like the release date shifted back a month. It was supposed to come out mid-March, now it's mid-April. I really hope she's okay as well, I love this series.(less)

Bradley
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a solid SF read no matter what my initial mood. This is my go-to popcorn fiction/time travel/goofy historians/soap opera. I'm always excited to read and always amused to encounter and always satisfied at the end.

What more can anyone ask?

Hmmm... less heartbreak? But no. Then it wouldn't be such a soap-opera! Hunky lords of late-middle English castles or LEON? Hmmmm. Abandoned in time, making do with a hunky English lord that gets Max all hot or WAIT FOR LEON TO SAVE HER? Hmmmm.

COME ON! SOA
Kaitlin
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is still one of my auto-buy favourite series and it continues t0 be so because it's great. The story is once more, bonkers, but in the most brilliantly British way, and I adore Max and how she deals with the various problems, creepy men, and hiccups along the way. She's just a power-house, and yet she feels like such a genuine and caring character too. She's real to me now!

I also really love Markham and Leon and all the others we follow, but I think Max will always remain the focal point
Sara
I laughed. I cried. I gasped.

As always, I can rely on St Mary’s to spin a good yarn and deliver an excellent story. This time we find Max, on her own and without any chance of rescue, in desperate need of help. I don’t want to expand on the plot too much, as I think this is best enjoyed ‘blind’, but trust me - it’s as good as ever. The new characters, especially William, are thoughtfully developed to the point where I really grew quite attached to for all of them in such a short space of time.
Choko
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

A Buddy Read with my family @ BB&B UF Wednesday group.

"... “Dr Bairstow regarded him icily. ‘All my staff are handpicked.’ ‘That’s quite true, actually,’ said Markham, sunnily. ‘I’ve been handpicked many times. Mug shots. Police line-ups. ID parades. People are always pointing at me and shouting, “That’s him.”.” ..."

Maaaaaannnn, why does she do this to us, poor, gullible, good-hearted fools that we are... ? Once again, JT gets our full attention with another heartbreaking, hil
Trish
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I've been at St. Mary's. True, I've kept up with the short stories as they are usually sweet in a way, but feel no guilt over having skipped #8. Maybe some day I'll feel strong enough to read it. Why I haven't so far? Well, I can get quite emotional about characters and the disaster magnets that are the historians, techies, R&D and security staff here are very close to my heart. The series has always been dramatic and an emotional rollercoaster but things happen in bo ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
I’m so torn. There are things about this series that I love and others that tend to bug me. This book did have one of the best slap me in the face reveals at the end though so props to Jodi Taylor for that.

I love the history. Since I’m completely rubbish at historical stuff it is all new and interesting to me. Even when I do know a little about the historical event it is made better because it is shown with a new twist to it. That is really what makes the books really fun.

An Argumentation of His
Richard Derus
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Book Nine in a series. If you're still reading reviews, pull the trigger already! Start at book one, Just One Damned Thing After Another, and work your way through the books. You will experience:

--angst
--agony
--outrage
--fury
--loathing

and that's just for the perpetratrix of the series.

All while laughing yourself sore. And note please that should you not be amused by the authorial voice, stop at once. Do not attempt to read further. You will do irreparable harm to your clearly already overloa
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the honorary Historians (we can't be the real thing we have too much brains and sense of self preservation) of the Wednesday UF Group.
description

Jodi Taylor gutted us in the previous instalment so I expected a tamer as far as emotions go 9th book. Boy, was I wrong! Sure it wasn't as brutal as And the Rest is History but it had its own brand of emotional impact.

Warning! Spoilers!

Two things really screwed with my head and my poor abused feelings. As we well know Max's plans always end in dis
Emma
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Jodi Taylor on form again. One of the things I’ve wished to read about in a series about time travel, was more of a prolonged stay in a time period. In these stories, usually, the team goes to observe specific events, get into a bit of trouble and come back. But in this one, Maxwell gets a longer stay. I loved William and was sorry for him. I really thought that would be the book wrapped up, but once there was a resolution to that story arc, the. We have a very dramatic last few chapt ...more
The Drowsy Bookworm
This is a one click pre-order for me as are all the Chronicles of St. Mary's books! Can't wait to read it!
Wing Kee
I love this series so much but this was kinda same old...not in a great way.

World: The world building continues to be fantastic, the history jumps and the cast of characters that readers have grown with for 9 books now is great. If you want history meets the office this world is for you.

Story: I really enjoyed the first third of the book, the banter, the crazy things that St. Mary's gets up to is great. I really enjoyed the barn story, it made me giggle. The core of the story is Max and the bes
Lara
I thought this book wasn't supposed to be out until May 1st, but whatever, I'll take it, Amazon!

Oh man. So, first of all, I laughed out loud about ten times before the book even started thanks to Taylor's introduction and character lists. And then, just...a lot of things happen! And there are shocks, and tears, and great conversations, and that ending!

Okay, but seriously, Jodi Taylor! I am so mad about (view spoiler)

Anyway,
Karsyn
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my least favorites, so it was still really good, but I was rather disappointed in it. While Max is one of my all time favorite female characters, I'm a fan of St Mary's as a whole and their antics. I didn't enjoy the approximately 40% of the Max only show, and it seemed longer than that. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't as enjoyable as when they are all together either. Ending was pretty damn good and made up for it, otherwise I might have given this a three. Still, was wonderful ...more
Linda
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Unfortunately, except for a couple of short stories, I’m all caught up and now must endure the interminable wait until the next Chronicles of St. Mary’s novel comes out.
J.A. Ironside
Whilst continuing the main series arc with the intrepid historian Madeleine 'Lucy' Maxwell - Max to her friends - Taylor manages to deliver both another thrilling, humourous instalment and a very funny, tongue in cheek take on Outlander. I love this series so much. One to read and reread. My only quibble is the length of time between books, which if I'm being reasonable, isn't actually that long but I find it frustrating nevertheless. Highly recommend these fabulous time travelling historians.
Emma Flanagan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are always enjoyable but I didn’t like the amount of time Max spent removed from St Mary’s. I missed the wider cast of characters.
Mburrows
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Collective noun for historians: an argumentation.

One of the consequences of having a Mt. TBR that is just short of keeping me awake at night (both literally and figuratively speaking) is that there are few times I'm really waiting for a book to be published, because I have at least twenty (or a hundred) that are constantly screaming for my attention. However, An Argumentation of Historians was one of those few books, that I immediately
Michelle Watson Forbes
What can I say??? What a fantastic series. I absolutely love love love this series and this author!!! I'm already into Battersea Barricades! Oh my goodness, when is the next novel coming out??? Can't be too soon.
Nicole
Shelves: time-travel
Well! BBH....(Fans of Max will understand this)

The problem with reading (or watching for that matter) a series, after about book 3 or 4 you keep expecting a lemon to turn up or for the writer to simply run out of ideas. Fans of the series will be glad to hear that this is not that book.

Max and the St Mary’s team return, ready to reap havoc up and down the timeline. Have there been changes? Yes. The characters are evolving and growing up. They are taking their responsibilities and, for some, thei
Argum
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series and this was no exception. Huge fun twist at the end of this one and cannot wait for the next. Max starts off with great plans to catch Ronan after bumping into Ellis of the Time Police on a nice simple jump to see Henry the 8th get knocked off his horse and possibly turned into a tyrant with a head injury. Its St Marys so of course they go not according to plan. Liked the jump to old St Mary's as well. Lots of good personal growth too among lots of folks. As usual highly entert ...more
Katrine Hoyt
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great as always but with one flaw

I loved the book. Following the adventures of Max and the rest of St Mary's is always a great read, but I felt that there was a glaring possible solution to Max's main predicament that she would have thought of.
SPOILERS
Just before the planned double trap for Roman in ancient Persia, Dr Bairstow explains to Max that he communicates with the Time Police in the future by posting a "snail mail" letter in the present. When Max is stranded in 1399, wouldn't she have tr
Linda
Well I was frustrated by the ending but I know we’ll find out more in the next book. Hope it comes out soon. Maxwell and Leon are recovering from the pod explosion that happened in book 8 but Clive Ronan is still lose and causing trouble. Where is he? I listened to the book in audible and Zara Ramm is Max. She is the saving grace from some of the stuff that happens in this book. I mean getting stuck in 15th Century St. Mlary’s For a year only to return to find out you’ve been gone only a week. A ...more
Emma
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant masterpiece!!!

I love this series of books, the sass, sarcasm and humour are brilliant. Also you unwittingly learn things! I’ve learnt more history from these books than I ever did at school.
Zoe Scowen
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, an amazing story. I read it in one sitting, going through a whole roller- coaster of emtions. Now I desperately need to read the next one!
Ariel
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, histfic, scifi
You know you really love a series when you buy the 9th one the very day it comes out and keep reading till it's done. Time travel, historical accuracy, wacky British humor, mayhem, and a certain amount of saucy romance--these are a few of my favorite things and they're all present in the Chronicles of St. Mary's. Now, when will we get #10????
charlotte
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just brilliant

no spoilers.
A very very anticipated book, wonderfully written keeps you guessing and reading to the end. I would give one piece of advice, read this on a day off and don't start it at night or you'll not get any sleep as you can't put it down
Tiffany
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am here for it and I am ready. That prolouge will get you. ;)
Li
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She’s 100% an autobuy author and I wasn’t disappointed with this book. As always, her writing is rich in historical detail without compromising entertainment (honestly, I’ve learnt more history from her books than I did at school). There’s some properly suspenseful moments in this book, balanced out with lovely touches on the relationships front. Really satisfying, and one of my favourite books this year so far.
Jan McClintock
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
Another fun outing for the St. Mary's crowd, although not as lighthearted as previous books in the series. Folks are recovering from previous injuries and tragedies, and Max spends some time away from home. One big plot twist really adds to the story.

As usual, Zara Ramm does an outstanding job with the narration.

Lots of humor to go along with the sadness; a little foul language; some mild violence; sexual references but nothing graphic.

I can't wait to see what happens next! Hurry, Ms. Taylor,
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

The Chronicles of St Mary's (9 books)
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's #4)
  • No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)
  • What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #8)
“No, he’s made a very good point,’ said Bashford provocatively. ‘Women are just vessels, you know.’ ‘That’s very true,’ said Sykes, smiling angelically at him. ‘I myself am a seventeen-thousand-ton Dreadnought class battleship with enough firepower to destroy a medium-sized city.” 7 likes
“That’s very true,’ said Sykes, smiling angelically at him. ‘I myself am a seventeen-thousand-ton Dreadnought class battleship with enough firepower to destroy a medium-sized city.” 0 likes