Start by marking “Apple Cake: A Gratitude” as Want to Read:
Apple Cake: A Gratitude

Apple Cake: A Gratitude

Thank you, hedge, / Thank you, tree. / Thank you, flower, / Thank you, bee. / Thank you, rain, / Thank you, sun. / Thank you, farmers, / every one.

In this simple rhyming story from the author of Held in Love, a child says thank you for the gifts nature provides, from hazelnuts in the hedge to apples from the tree, eggs from the hens to milk from the cow. Eventually, t
Published September 24th 2019 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Apple Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apple Cake

Start your review of Apple Cake: A Gratitude
Sue
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A really Lovely illustrated book.
Eye catching pictures and colours that will hold a child’s imagination.

It’s full of gratitude and thanks for everything no matter how big or small.

We all know that pictures in children’s books speak more than the words themselves at times.

A parent or adult reading this to a child will have plenty to chat about.
Calista
Feb 17, 2021 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: learning gratitudes
A book about gratitude and the joys of the simple things in life. The artwork by Genevieve Godbout is nice with muted colors and energy that brings nature and food to life. It also does a great job giving the feels of people and their relationship.

Gratitude can be a simple thing, thank you for this, for that. It's something we can all learn to do better and this is a nice tool for that, but does it make a great story, not really. I'm not sure how young kids will take it. I can see children used
Michelle
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-livie
This book is a very quick read (so perfect for 24 months and younger - but there is enough for older kids to enjoy too). The illustrations are absolutely GORGEOUS and are perfectly matched to this delightful read. It's a book all about gratitude and it sure was refreshing to read as well as remind me personally, that I need to focus on this with my child. There are so many things that we just have and I don't spend enough time remembering that.

For anyone who loves the topic in general and or app
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens and Dawn Casey for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

Apple Cake is a cute picture book written in rhyme about Gratitude. It's a rather simple little story with a big positive message. It's easy for very young children to be able to follow as there are not many words. This however does not make it anything less than wonderful. The illustrations are stunning. They have such a beautiful softness
Jon Nakapalau
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little girl thanks all those who contribute ingredients for an apple cake - excellent Thanksgiving book for small children!
La Coccinelle
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc, children
Apple Cake is a sweet rhyming picture book in which a child expresses gratitude for all of the people and things that go into making a tasty dessert. Beautiful illustrations highlight the gentle rhyming text, which actually has very nice rhythm. But there's one thing that really bothers me about the book, and it kind of irked me enough to affect my enjoyment. And that one thing is the grammar.

The way the verse is written out in the synopsis is not the way it's written out in the book. The book's
Rosalyn Davey
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book with amazing illustrations. All about being thankful for what we have. Great message and love the recipe at the end!
Etienne
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love the art of this one so much Truly a beauty. Unfortunately, the message about gratitude didn't pass. Gratitude is an important thing in life for sure, but turning it into being grateful for many thing because they allow you to get an apple cake... turn out to be more ridiculous then inspiring! I'm grateful for the illustrations of this one but not the story. ...more
Julie
Gentle picture book with sweet, seemingly vintage illustrations that capture a little girl's thankfulness for all that nature does in producing the ingredients for apple cake. Her little dog, which accompanies her about the farm as she expresses her gratitude, is adorable. Also includes a recipe at the end! ...more
Alice Ball
A real winner with my 2.5 year old who keeps asking if we can make apple cake now.
Alicia Bayer
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, rhyming picture book perfectly suited for Thanksgiving and themes of gratitude.

The text reads like a secular dinnertime grace (Thank you, hedge, / Thank you, tree. / Thank you, flower, / Thank you, bee. / Thank you, rain, / Thank you, sun. / Thank you, farmers, /everyone....) that acknowledges the people and parts of nature needed to provide our food -- or in this case, our dessert. Lovely illustrations accompany the text, showing a little girl giving thanks to a cow, rain, sun
Brat
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Frances Lincoln Children's Books - Quarto Publishing, Dawn Casey, and Net Galley for the e-ARC of this book, for review. My review will be published on Goodreads and Amazon as well.

I don't usually request children's books for review, but thanks to this gorgeous book, that is about to change. I might even be let down, because this book right here, is just perfection. It deserves every single available star in its rating. 5 stars!!!

I loved the simplicity of the story, the rhythmic words
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Apple Cake is a beautifully illustrated book written in rhyme about Gratitude/Thankfulness. With Thanksgiving around the corner, this is a wonderful book to have in homes, classrooms and churches. It is simple little story with a wonderful message. The idea of being grateful to nature, people and the world for all the things we have, using something as simple as Apple Cake is wonderful. The story is told in a very simple rhyme with only a couple of lines accompanied by beautiful watercolour illu ...more
Ulyana
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet and simple, while staying grounded and thankful, Apple Cake is a lovely ode to all things, little and big, necessary in making a delicious homemade apple cake. From the life-giving Earth and bountiful plants it feeds, through to hard-working farmers and friends with an offer of help, Casey encourages readers to remember and express gratitude to those indispensable to celebrating and partaking in a tasty lunch or dinner with our loved ones.

The text is easy enough for a still-unconfident rea
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very beautifully illustrated picture book of a child gathering ingredients to make an apple cake, and being thankful to all of nature that provides.

It is a sweet thoughtful book, and the recipe at the end reads as though it would be very good, although I would probably buy the almond flour rather than grinding it up myself.

I like the simple act of being thankful, to not only the apples, but to the people around her who helped make the cake.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book avail
Jennifer Stanley
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute and simple rhyming book that has a powerful message. As you read you realize that the child is thanking all of these various things.... an apple, flower, bees, etc. Then you realize that everything that is being thanked is all part of a cycle that helps create the ingredients for apple cake.

It is a great way to show young children that not everything comes from the grocery store. Those items have a purpose and it is so much more then just sitting on a shelf. It also shows the fra
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
This is a charming little book for children! "Apple Cake: A Gratitude" has such lovely illustrations and contains an important message of having a thankful heart. This book teaches children to be grateful for everything in their lives, even the smallest things. I don't have children of my own yet, however if I were to have children, I would absolutely want to read this to them around the ages of 4-7.

I look forward to trying out the recipe for apple cake at the end of this book.

I received this b
Kathryn
Gentle and lovely illustrations and poem. Not sure there's anything really remarkably fresh or innovative here (though I do appreciate that the story includes POC and it appears to be a blended family in the story). That said, 'tis the season of gratitude and gathering together to share in nature's bounty and warm feelings, and I do recommend it if you're looking for something to make you smile, feel cozy, and cultivate an attitude of gratitude (something I’m trying to do on a daily basis not ju ...more
Erin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apple Cake: A Gratitude is a beautiful, simple and sweet book about gratitude. It would be great for families looking for a non-religious "prayer" to say before meals or at bedtime, as a way to encourage gratitude and appreciation for nature and the work that many, many people do to make our lives easier each day. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. I love, love Geneviève Godbout's art style. As a nice bonus, there is a recipe for the titular apple cake included! ...more
Becky
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the artwork in this book. With its simple words, showing gratitude to the little things in life that we sometimes take for granted ex: bee, tree, flower etc.. It also comes with a recipe for Apple Cake, which sounds delectable. Would be a cute book to read together and then spend some time baking together.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Ann T
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Quatro - Frances Lincoln’s Children’s Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC.

This is a beautifully illustrated children’s book showing gratitude to everyone and everything along the process of creating an Apple cake. Perfect for a snuggly pre nap read with your toddler, complete with a recipe for apple cake to make while they sleep !
Morris
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2019-read
This is a simple book designed to teach children to be grateful for the things in their everyday lives. It accomplishes this nicely on a level young children can easily understand. I adored the illustrations and the recipe at the end was a nice touch.

This unbiased review is based on a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Engel Dreizehn
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC Copy...Beautiful illustration that give a warm feel plus narrative that points not only to be thankful in general but also how work and people are in involved in simple Apple Cake and we should be thankful for them.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A beautifully illustrated book that drew me in so it will definitely pull a child’s attention in, teaches children important lessons about life and nature along with the rhyme, enthralling for adult and child alike

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Megan Wagner
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A feel good book!
KidsBookPick
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A simple rhyming read that follows the journey of a little girl gathering all the ingredients to make an apple cake with her family. Along the way she expresses her gratitude to nature and to those she loves.

The illustrations by Genevieve Godbout are peaceful and match the tone of gratitude throughout the the book. Young readers will probably enjoy searching for the apple cake ingredients on every page.

Overall, I think this is a lovely book that will help children appreciate all that nature prov
Patricia N. McLaughlin
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
For such a cheerful story about expressing thanks, the illustrations seem dark and gloomy; moreover, the half-baked narrative does not describe the ingredients of apple cake nor show how it is made, though the “Recipe for Apple Cake” in the end pages sounds delicious.
Danette
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful rhyming book of gratitude. Includes a yummy looking recipe for apple cake.

11/15/19 Naomi read to me.
Juli Anna
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple, sweet, food-oriented gratitude with delightfully old-fashioned illustrations.
Jenny
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple picture book (with lovely illustrations) expressing thanks for all the things needed to make apple cake. Includes a recipe for apple cake at the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Blue House
  • Sweep
  • Green on Green
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • The Old Truck
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • Along the Tapajós
  • I Talk Like a River
See top shelves…
Dawn Casey traveled in Africa and Asia before working in a garden studio, publishing multicultural children's books. She now dreams up her own stories, inspired by the everyday magic of the world. She lives with her husband, two little ones, and a tabby cat. ...more

News & Interviews