Start by marking “The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku

The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku

Being present in a forest, or other wild area, can produce mental, emotional, and physical health benefits. The Joy of Forest Bathing is a simple antidote to our nature-starved lives.

The Joy of Forest Bathing is a beginner’s guide to forest bathing—or Shinrin-yoku, in Japan-- the meditative practice of connecting with nature and disconnecting from the distractions of dail
Published August 28th 2018 by Rock Point (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Forest Bathing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Forest Bathing

Start your review of The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku
Literary Soirée
“The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku” by Melanie Choukas-Bradley offers an amazing introduction to the Japanese concept of Shinrin-Yoku.

The Publisher’s Note is especially elegant:
“Being present in a forest can produce mental, emotional, and physical health benefits; The Joy of Forest Bathing is a simple antidote to our nature-starved lives.

“Forest bathing—or Shinrin-yoku, in Japan—is the meditative practice of connecting with nature and disconnecting from the
Clare O'Beara
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anyone who studies nature won't need this book but may still enjoy the read. While this short book is made shorter by copious illustrations, quite a few of which cover a full page without adding anything except green dots, maybe the author didn't have anything more to say.

The concept of forest bathing comes from Japan, and while I wasn't aware of the name, I know that indeed walking and sitting in woodland, the more mature the better, is a relaxing and revitalising experience. Of course, I can'
Julia
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book reminded me of two people. First my grandmother, who took me on long walks through the forests of my childhood, who showed me how to breathe among the trees, how to find home should I get lost (the tale of Hansel and Gretel was always in my head on such walks), which plants were edible and inedible, and also how to identify animal tracks and to distinguish the birds by their songs. The other person is a dear friend of mine, who enjoys forest bathing and lets me take part on her walks t ...more
ooh- North American Forest Therapy sounds intriguing.
Since I live in an area of four seasons, winter forest bathing is not an activity I consider too frequently. I appreciated that all seasons were suggested in this gentle book.
The illustrations are eye pleasing. I appreciated the different approaches for persons with varying abilities and access to the great outdoors. There truly is something here for everyone.

This is a beautiful volume to gift to someone starting out on a new journey, an unex
Cheryl
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Joy of Forest Bathing by Melanie Choukas-Bradley / illustrated by Lieke van der Vorst

With a reverence bow to the Shinano-machi healing forest of Nagano, Japan, we are given a little background into the divinity of forest bathing, or properly, shinrin-yoku. Then into instructional steps to make the most of your time in nature.
Short chapters on additional activities while partaking, as well as for the different ages and possible needs, are also there.
A quick reminder to respect Mother Natur
Cynthia
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You don’t have to wear hiking boots and head off to the Appalachian Trial to commune with nature. If you do, consider yourself at the “mastery” level of appreciating time in nature. Most of us are not in that category, and that’s okay. We meet nature where we are.

In a new book, The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Art of Shirin-Yoku, Melanie Choukas-Bradley introduces “Forest Bathing” to western readers and takes the mystery out of this traditional Japanese practice. “Forest bathing” is sim
Jo
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely little book! Melanie Choukas-Bradley is a certified nature and forest therapy guide, expert, and author. I love her City of Trees, which I used as a reference book as a landscape designer for 18 years. This is a little bonbon of a book, beautifully written with the author's close observations of nature, and beautifully designed with warm and inviting illustrations by Lieke van der Vorst. It's a very brief guide with the simple basics needed to jumpstart a practice of forest bathing. If ...more
Gofita
This is a fun and interesting introduction into forest-bathing. I got some needed inspiration to get out and enjoy nature more often and ways to help me focus.

She provides a basic introduction to forest bathing and the simple ways to practice it while outdoors. She gives ideas on how to do this during each season of the year and ways to complement the practice with meditation or yoga, etc.

The illustrations are also very pretty and calm which add to the feeling of the book.
Ver
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I would give this 3.5 stars. It was a very calming read and I really enjoyed the illustrations, anecdotes and scientific facts about the benefits nature has on humans.

There were some moments reading this book where I felt like the author was just writing to write, and the writing felt a bit choppy.

It’s a quick read and great for anyone who needs a little inspiration/motivation to go outside and explore!
Zach
Feb 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ooph. I hate leaving bad ratings and I rarely leave reviews, but this book stinks. To its credit, the physical book looks nice. Solid construction. Cool cover. Just don't bother opening it.

Spoiler alert: kids, teenagers, adults, AND the elderly will probably enjoy going outside and may experience some sort of vague and unsubstantiated benefit by doing so.

Kaye
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on how to commune with nature. Describing it as the Japanese idea of Shinrin-yoku, the idea of going into nature and really being engulfed in it, sounds appealing, although I doubt I will ever sit down and talk with a tree. The idea of opening yourself to the aspects around you, the smells, the sounds, etc. and getting away from the hectic stressful life we all live, sounds great. I also like how she breaks it down into the different seasons, with tips on each one, and how yo ...more
Janine Brouillette
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Forest Bathing (Shinrin-yoku) is a meditative practice, done in many ways, to connect with nature. It is a way to relax, disconnect with the hustle and bustle of the world, and to bathe in the natural calmness of your environment and nature in almost a meditative manner. It is a full sensory immersion to the beauty of nature. It can take place almost anywhere and anytime of the year. Research teams have shown that this can lower your blood pressure, improve mood, and may even improve our immunit ...more
Gina Victoria
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This was such a beautiful book. It is the perfect book to read outside or with all the windows open, the breeze gently moving the curtains.
I never knew there was a word for this particular activity. Ive always loved going camping and hiking because I love being engulfed in nature. Forest bathing is much slower than hiking. This book definitely motivated me to take my own mindful adventure out in nature.
The illustrations in this book are so sweet. I love the color palette and the little illustr
Kelly Schulze
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
(Free review copy from netgalley, all opinions are my own)
Thoroughly enjoyed this and the basic understanding behind it. The way that Melanie writes was calming and smooth. She took all seasons into account, how to dress for each of them and other tips for the seasons. I thoroughly enjoyed the fact though that she included tips for those with limited mobility and ways for them and people in different stages of life to get out and forest bathe. The illustrations added a grand effect to the overa
Edy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Now that we have accrued so much data showing the physical, mental, and emotional benefits of time spent in nature, we can employ this knowledge in many creative ways to facilitate healing and recovery.”

“When you face a problem with no easy solution, the best thing you can often do is to walk in the woods. Try to clear your mind of ruminative thought, which is why easily done in the presence of flowing water and trees.”
Scott Diane
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku was exactly what it stated, a beginner's guide. The illustrations are endearing and really make this book one to purchase. Would have preferred a more practical introduction and less a personal journal as to why one should try Forest Bathing. However, would still recommend as a fun little book to add to a collection but not the one book to learn how to begin.
AngryGreyCat
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Joy of Forest Bathing is a simplified approach to shinrin-yoku. It includes ideas to engage in the practice and seasonal approaches. A helpful beginning guide with light, less science heavy prose than some other books on the topic. The illustrations are delightful and I can’t for the life of me put my finger on what they remind me of. There is also some beautiful forest photography included.
Heather Tweed
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This quick, easy read gives the basics on forest bathing. Read it for tips on immersing yourself a little more in nature if you’re feeling disconnected by constantly rushing from one fluorescent lit place to the next while staring at your phone and driving in wild traffic. Enjoy the pretty pictures and large font; then get outside and relax!
Jo
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
#TheJoyOfForestBathing #NetGalley

Good illustrations and explanations are the core of the book. Melanie teaches us how to connect with the Forest by doing simple actives that are meaningful for the soul and body.
Emily Gaska
The pictures were beautiful and that made it worth a quick read. The information in it was flowery and pleasant but at the same time the practice of Forest Bathing is so simple there isn't much to say.
Enjoyable, but nothing substantial here.
Gwendolyn Caithness Cameron
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alley
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
A sweet book and a lovely introduction to forest bathing, or Shirin-yoku. I adore Lieke’s illustrations and I enjoyed the author’s passion for connecting with nature. A quick and simple read. 3.5 stars!
Stacey Hryciuk
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty basic concepts. Good for someone with a beginner’s level knowledge in Forest Bathing but a few too many big colourful pictures and not enough substance for me personally.
Siobhan
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful little book! Gorgeous pictures of trees in different seasons and reflections on connecting with nature in Forest Bathing!
Jennifer Edelen
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and beautifully illustrated I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves nature or anyone who needs some coxing to get back to nature.
Spinneretta
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very short introduction to Forest Bathing, an should honestly be read by those curious about the therapy itself. It's an intriguing concept that this book describes well, but not in depth.
Lucia Graves
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Sooooo part of me chafes at the notion that I need to buy a book to read up on how to experience joy in the natural world. Can we not go out in it?! Can we not use our own senses?!

Then I think about Emerson and Thoreau and John Muir and Annie Dillard and Mary Oliver and the foundational texts of the back to the land movement. I think, in other words, of the long tradition of writing that is meant to unpack the transcendence of nature, to remind us how to enjoy it, as in meditation we must be rem
Kristine
The Joy of Forest Bathing by Melanie Choukas-Bradley is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late September.

A mix of photographs, sketches, and beautifully colorful pictures that, at a mere glance, are quite calming. Choukas-Bradley encourages a return to nature with forest therapy, away from the binding use of technology, progress, and the indoors. There are guided, mindful breathing exercises and meditations that engage the senses, while noticing the change in seasons that are medically prove
Rhonda Lomazow
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book about a tradition I had never heard of Forest Bathing something as simple as enriching as walking in the first taking time to sit breathe in nature.Full of lovely illustrations just reading the book will give you comfort.Abook that would make a perfect gift.Thanks#quarto #netgalley for advance copy of #Forsetbathing
Kathryn
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A delightful book with a unique approach to mindfulness. The concept of forest bathing is very idyllic and a great way to incorporate meditation and relaxation. A lovely book with beautiful illustrations and a novel idea of how to switch off from the hectic routine of daily life and the digital age and reconnect with nature as well as benefitting from the health benefits of walking and reducing stress and anxiety.

• Your Guide to Forest Bathing: Experience the Healing Power of Nature
  • 417 More Games, Puzzles  Trivia Challenges Specially Designed to Keep Your Brain Young
  • Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing
  • Sisu
  • The Client (Penguin Readers)
  • The Double Comfort Safari Club (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #11)
  • 399 Games, Puzzles  Trivia Challenges Specially Designed to Keep Your Brain Young.
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • Finding Sisu: In Search of Courage, Strength, and Happiness the Finnish Way
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Dark Hollows
  • Good Mornings: Morning Rituals for Wellness, Peace and Purpose
  • Underland
  • Summer at Tiffany
  • Beachbum Berry's Sippin' Safari: In Search of the Great 'Lost' Tropical Drink Recipes…and the People Behind Them
  • Heart Legacy (Celta's Heartmates, #14)
  • Heart Fortune (Celta's Heartmates, #12)
  • Heart Fire (Celta's Heartmates, #13)

News & Interviews