Start by marking “Up the Mountain Path” as Want to Read:
Up the Mountain Path

Up the Mountain Path

Mrs. Badger, an avid collector and naturalist, takes a weekly journey up to Sugarloaf Peak, greeting her friends on the way and sharing her discoveries with them. One day she meets Lulu, a very small cat, who wants to go with her to the top of the mountain. On the way, Lulu learns to take care of the natural world, help those in need, and listen to her intuition. Rich in w ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Princeton Architectural Press (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Up the Mountain Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up the Mountain Path

Start your review of Up the Mountain Path
Jane
Up the Mountain Path is a charming little story that gently teaches the love of nature and the cycles of life. We follow old Mrs. Badger as she makes her weekly trek up to the top of Sugarloaf Peak.

Along the way, she greets her friends, admires the natural beauty, and is always thinking of others. One week, Mrs. Badger notices a young cat, Lulu, is following her progress. Mrs. Badger invites Lulu to join her, and the two make the journey together.

Week after week the two make the trip u
Hilary
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
A gentle story of friendship and enjoying the outdoors. An elderly badger befriends a young cat and helps him to enjoy the outdoors, observe nature and climb a mountain with her.

It did feel frustrating they called this up the mountain, I think the author must have meant a hill, there are many trees at the top which you wouldn't find anywhere near the top of a mountain. Also I would have rather the badger character had a more inventive name than Mrs Badger but this is a nice tale of friendship, g
Danielle
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh my goodness, this book. It guides you along the way Mrs. Badger guides Lulu the little cat up the mountain path to the top of Sugarloaf Peak with gentle encouragement, the right tools, and wise words. Mrs. Badger is someone who loves to walk and experience the world, and to share that with others. And when Mrs. Badger can no longer make the trek, Lulu carries on the tradition, and shares that too.

"Mrs. Badger is also a poet."
Dulcie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter grabbed this from the library because of the cute cover. It turned out to be a beautiful story about life and death, told in such a gentle way, with such lovely illustrations, that we both fell in love with it.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This is a beautiful children's picture book, following Mrs Badger who travels up to a big mountain every Sunday, and she likes to make new friends on her travels. On one Sunday, she meets Leo who is a cat and anxious of reaching the peak. Both of them work together and learn lots of life lessons along the way. The illustrations were absolutely beautiful, fast pacing and great characters. I'm a fan!
Etienne
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book/story!! The illustration are good but nothing extraordinary, a bit too soft for my liking, but anyway the story and the message it have is so beautiful and deep. It's a story of life. It talk about sharing, time that goes by, aging, teaching, the beauty of nature, the cycle of everything. Really and extraordinary book for children and adults too!
Ellie Labbett
Each Sunday Mrs Badger walks up to the top of the mountain, a place where she has learned about the world and made friends with animals along the way. One day, Leo the cat spots Mrs Badger, and, regardless of his personal fears, is given the courage to join her on the journey to the top. Dubuc tells a story that is more than just Mrs Badger’s walks up the Mountain alongside Leo, it speaks of learning, friendship between generations, and moments of physical and internal change.
This is a truly bea
BrookesEducationLibrary
All the feels for this gorgeous little book, it covers so many themes, including; friendship, ageing and the importance of choice. Highly recommended and very very charming.
Nick Swarbrick
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An utterly brilliant book of complex themes around friends, ageing, life choices and landscape. An elderly badger introduces a little (and immensely cute) cat to the walk up the mountain and perspectives change, lives grow... If ever you need a life-affirming book that is charming, poignant and beautiful - or want a book to demonstrate how picturebooks are deceptive in their simplicity - this could be the one.
Steve Ellerhoff
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in Dublin at Books Upstairs (best bookshop in the world!) intending to bring it back for my niece. But when I read it, the book was so perfectly attuned to what I needed that I burst into tears. So I'll be keeping this copy and getting another for my niece. As soulful a book as there can ever be.
Abigail
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marianne Dubuc Fans / Anyone Looking for Children's Stories About Friendship & Kindness
The marvelous Marianne Dubuc, French-Canadian picture-book creator extraordinaire, delivers another winner with Up the Mountain Path, which pairs a lovely, heartfelt, and ultimately heartwarming tale with beautiful illustrations. Here we follow the story of Mrs. Badger, a kindhearted amateur naturalist who likes to hike to the top of nearby Sugarloaf Peak every Sunday. When her path crosses with Lulu the cat's, she invites this new feline friend along, teaching her many things in the course of t ...more
Rebekah
I don’t know what your Sundays are like but mine definitely don’t involve hiking up a mountain every weekend. However, for Mrs Badger this is what she loves and rightly so. One day she has the opportunity to share her journey with Leo the cat who at first lacks the confidence to join her but through encouragement and kindness, Mrs Badger shows him the way. Fantastic illustrations and subtle colours allow us to experience the landscapes along with the characters in the story and we to are able ap ...more
Cheryl
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me for inter-generational friendship; did not disappoint. Lovely, gentle story of a beautiful tradition handed down to a younger friend. Illustrations suit. Words fail me... just know that I do recommend it and will look for more by the author.
Angelina
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another gem by Dubuc! Charming, gentle, beautiful and just a little sad.
Avital Nathan
A lovely calming, nature read for younger children. Touches on the theme of losing strength and slowing down towards the end of life, but remains uplifting by showing how life goes on (in a cycle) and knowledge and experiences can be passed on and shared again.

There are lots of opportunities to link to many subject areas (maths- measurement, English- poetry, geography- maps, science-plants and environments, pshe- sharing and loss of and older friend/relative)

Beautiful illustrations keep the flo
Kate Yates
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We really enjoyed this book! My six year-old, who generally doesn't give opinions on books unless they have monsters or destruction in, told me that he liked this book which is high praise indeed! The summary describes it as being about friendship and sharing, which it is, but it is also a subtle introduction to the circle of life. Don't let the number of pages put off younger readers as there are only one or two sentences per double page
James Tostevin
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly heart warming book about friendship and exploring the beauty of our world. What a joy to read!
Mathew
If I knew a reader had the patience to endure my presence and we walk through this delightful story together then I'd write a far greater wealth of words about this picturebook. French Canadian, Dubuc again presents us with an endearing story about friendships between different species and shows us an intimate and carefully-paced story of a friendship whose tenets will pass on through generations.
'Mrs. Badger is old' but living a frugal life that involves plenty of walking and spending quality
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story about the circle of life, friendship, learning from elders, and enjoying life and nature. Each Sunday Mrs Badger walks up to the top of the mountain, a place where she can sit and see the world, Along the way she makes friends with various animals and helps when she can. One day, Leo the cat spots Mrs Badger, and, even though he is afraid and doesn't think he can make it, Mrs. Badger helps him reach the top. The journey repeats itself every Sunday, until Mrs. Badger is ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Such a darling book that hits on so many important themes, such as; friendship, conservation, sharing, nature, death, aging, kindness and healthy habits. I loved everything about this book from the beautiful illustrations to the tender and sweet story. This book will aid in creating dialogue with children about all the themes listed above. It will become a cherished book for everyone in the family. A very special story that is meant to be shared.
Chance Lee
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-it
Wow, what a story about nature and the passage of time and there's even a squirrel named Doris.
Katie Mote
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is such a lovely book. The illustrations are beautiful, with little facts scattered throughout that the children can pick up on and learn about nature. We see throughout the book how Mrs Badgers kindness shared with others is reflected by everyone saying hello and wanting to join in. As Leo comes along on the adventure up the mountain one Sunday we truly see the kindness and love of Mrs Badger. How she is patient, caring, wise and considerate. She answers all of Leos questions with care and ...more
Juliana Lee
On the longer side, but very poetic. Mrs. Badger takes a hike up the mountain path every Sunday. One week she shares berries with a kitten who wants to hike with her. For many weeks Mrs. Badger shows the kitten the secrets of the mountain. Then one Sunday, Mrs. Badger is too weak to hike. The kitten who has grown into a cat, hikes alone and reports back. Eventually Mrs. Badger is gone (died) and the cat makes the trip alone every Sunday. One week the cat meets a bunny who would like to hike to t ...more
Julie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Exquisite illustrations that captivate and a message about sharing and caring.
Melissa
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
"Up the Mountain Path" is a wonderful children's story that show not only the idea of passing the torch but also a love of nature. Mrs. Badger is a sweet old badger who is always willing to help others and when she comes across a young cat named Lulu she becomes her mentor. Mrs. Badger teaches Lulu all about nature and helping others as they climb to Sugarloaf Peak every Sunday. As time goes on Mrs. Badger becomes to weak to make the trips. Lulu starts to go by herself and begins to explore new ...more
Kati
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a charming little story about Mrs Badger and her kitty companion as they explore the forest where they live, going up the mountain path to see what lies ahead. In a sweet, though rather vague manner, this story also exposes children to both the interesting lessons that our elderly have to teach us, and the lessons they leave us with when they exit this life. While it's never explicitly said that Mrs. Badger eventually passes, her presence in the story diminishes and the kitty herself become ...more
Clwseattle
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Up the Mountain Path gently shows children (and us) how to share, teach, learn, friendship and changes with age through the 'circle of life'.
"It must be incredible to be at the top of the world!"
"Oh, it makes you feel really small." . . .
. . . "Small as a speck of stardust shimmering on the morning dew."
Nia Talbot
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning book about friendship, believing in yourself and others, nature and tradition. Think it’s a perfect text to explore these themes and would generate a lot of book talk to take learning down different avenues.
Bev
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gentle story about passing on a value and love of nature and our fellow beings. It’s about appreciating the small things in life and occasionally being brave enough to follow an alternative path and making friends.
Ms. B
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture
A story about the joys of nature, the great outdoors, and taking a hike. If you're looking for a new picture book to share for Earth Day, this could be the one. It gives the answer to why we take care of Earth.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kitten and the Night Watchman
  • The Visitor
  • My Heart
  • Björn et le vaste monde
  • Zola's Elephant
  • The Day War Came
  • One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller
  • Albert's Quiet Quest
  • The Patchwork Bike
  • Olga: Out of Control! (Olga, #3)
  • Circle
  • Me And My Fear
  • Found
  • Love, Z
Diplômée en design graphique à l'Université du Québec à Montréal, Marianne Dubuc est auteure et illustratrice. Elle a signé une demi-douzaine de livres jeunesse, notamment deux ouvrages publiés à la rentrée 2010, Devant ma maison et Un éléphant qui se balançait...

News & Interviews