Start by marking “Red Creek” as Want to Read:
Red Creek

Red Creek

There's a dark shadow over Red Creek.

Once a best-selling horror author, Paul Alenn is in a slump. His wife and daughter are across the country, moved away to the West Coast, leaving him alone in his Central Park-adjacent New York townhouse.

When his sister calls, asking for help packing up his estranged mother’s house in his old hometown, Red Creek, he decides to put the
Published May 18th 2018 by Woodbridge Press

To ask other readers questions about Red Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Creek

Start your review of Red Creek
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
3.5 stars Read with my awesome friends from Horror Aficionados

The beginning of the book didn’t grab me. In fact, I thought I just might stop reading the book. I’m glad I stuck it out. I loved the characters, even the ones I was sure I would hate through the whole book.

I don’t want to keep writing the same thing as everyone else ...but... Paul is a writer. He comes back to his hometown to get his family home ready to sell. Well, Paul gets back in with some of his old friends and they end up hav
Peter
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Paul Alenn is a famous horror author. His hometown, Red Creek, has a long history of missing children. That children never reappear. With his mother being transferred to a nursing home he returns to Red Creek and the horrors of disappearing children start again. What is the reason for the vanishing children. Is a serial killer at loose? Is it something supernatural? Paul himself has some moments in his past he can't remember. What about his experience with Sheriff Cliff in his youth? When Paul's ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

Vote: ☆☆☆ 1/2

A best selling author comes back to his hometown to face his demons, a small town with a dark past and kids missing... ok, this sounds too much like the incipit of Stephen King's Salem's Lot, so let's try again. Will you?

“You’re never going to believe me when I tell you this stuff, and try to forget that I’m a horror author when you listen. Because Red Creek’s been under a shadow for over a hundred years.” Paul sat back down with a thud and started to talk.

Best selling horror au
Latasha
one star for the great cover art.
one star for Will Damron, he did a great job narrating but this book!! There is a LOT left unanswered and it just made me mad. I won't be reading the next book.
Zain
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some Good Times!

Paul is a writer. He is in a rut. He is suffering from writers block. His wife has left him. He doesn’t have much contact with his daughter. And he is seeing things.

Since he has been living alone in his large, expensive townhouse, for two years, he’s thinking about selling it. So he puts it up for sale, and now his sister is calling him.

She wants him to return to Red Creek. His hometown. His place of birth. He hasn’t been there in twenty years. For some reason, the thought of ret
Shaina
3.5
Cover art was cool like Tosha said; and in my opinion I did get a few answers and a few things were wrapped up shiny and nice. But the main issue... still no idea.

I am going forward after my HA buddy read to see what else I can find out in its sequel. It seemed like near the end the story kind of meandered and got a bit lost, and so did I. I’m going to see if it comes back.
Marie
Aug 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
This book is ending up as a DNF as I am so bored with it that I have been falling asleep reading it. No atmosphere along with no character connection makes this book dull and uninteresting. Also with DNF books there will be no rating as I do not star books I do not finish. If you are having trouble falling asleep read this book as it is better than taking a sleeping pill!
Sea Caummisar
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I read this one as a buddy read..in all fairness, this isn't my typical kind of story. It starts out kinda slow. But a little over halfway through, I was enticed, curious about each little piece of the puzzle that the author was feeding me.
An author returns to him hometown while his life is in a dark place. Then the darkness of his hometown reminds him of why he left in the first place. Children are disappearing. The author decides to figure out where the children are going.
I was bore
Leigh Paynter
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved every second up until the last two chapters. I loved the characters, the writing style and the build up was fantastic... then the story abruptly ended and left more questions than answers. How
a character made it into the tunnel and how another character disappeared and then reappeared were never explained and I ended up rereading chapters just in case I missed something. There is apparently a sequel, but there were several questions that I think should have been answered in the first bo
Michelle Scott
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Even when it's not Halloween, I love horror novels.  As I was hunting through Amazon for a good, scary read, I came across this one.  I know I shouldn't judge books by their covers, but this cover really stood out.  It was creepy, but not gross...just what I was looking for.

The book did start out a little slow, and honestly, I hate books in which authors are the main characters.  However, as Red Creek continued, the pace picked up, and it became very clear why Paul Alenn, the main character, bec
Miriam
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
4 stars audio
2 stars slllloooowwwwww paced not scary at all story.
Christinaraven
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am very picky when it comes to horror, but I really liked this story. The blurb sounded interesting and I was not disappointed at all. It had suspense, mystery and horror mixed together to make an addicting read. I did not find it gory or full of cheap scares like some are today. I liked the overall story and it kept me guessing to the end thinking, are "they" the bad guys, or maybe not. I did enjoy the ending. I found the story to be easily believable and kept me entertained the whole time wh ...more
Jakky
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
After reading some of the reviews, I was looking forward to a good, suspenseful thriller with lots of twists and turns. The kindest thing I can say about this one is that it was disappointing. My high school students could have done a better job. I don’t wish to be unkind to the author, but perhaps this was too sophisticated, too ambitious a project? Stephen King once disappointed me terribly with the ending of IT, so I may be hard to please. But I won’t be recommending this book.
Mark
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really enjoyed this book & it would have easily been a 4-star rating, but as a way to many authors seem to like to do in order to sell you their next book is to not tie up the story & this is what this one did.
At the end of the story, it states for the conclusion of the story of Red Creek make sure to read the sequel.
No thanks, not going to be forced to buy another book to find out what happens.
Cujo
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes confronting the ghosts of the past can be scarier then dealing with an actual ghost or monster.To me some of the creepier parts of this book are when the main character sees how his hometown has changed, or hasn't changed in the 20 some odd years he's been away....

While I found this book really good, I'm not sure I would call it a horror book. Nor am I 100% sure what it was about. Is it a ghost story, a monster story, or is it about a serial killer?
Debbie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was not what i consider horror. It was more of a slow burn creepy suspense novel in my opinion. The story line was pretty interesting - it is one I haven't read before. I overall liked the book - i wouldn't say i loved it but i will probably read Return to Red Creek. This is a new author to me - i see he has written quite few books. ...more
odedo1
When I got a chance to review more of Nathan Hystad Audiobook I never hesitated after reviewing his science fiction series and loving it and his imagination so imagine my surprise to find out that I got a horror story.
The truth, I’ve stopped with horror a long time ago because it’s all became predictable and then there was a big noise about a new audiobook by a famous author named IT so I took a gamble and like I said it was totally predictable and if anyone gave it 5 stars they have done it o
Laura Oden
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this book it was a quick read and fulfilling I love horror although this was not exactly scary it was more mysterious I kind of had Stephen King vibes not the writing style but the idea of the overall book it kind of felt like I have read it before. I was expecting more twist but I guess that’s what thrillers are for lol. Still this book is intriguing and I liked it very much.
Anne
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one was well written and the story pulled me in from the start. The main character was well drawn and likable enough to make me want to find out what happened to him as a child and where his memories would lead.
Apr 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
OK so I went back and gave it another go and I finished it this time ...
There are some good parts and some not so good and then there is the predictable that just pops out all over the place and then there is that ending ...Le sigh yup all in ll it just wasnt good.
Lee-sa Day
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very different from the Sci fi genre but still a good read

I would have liked to have gotten more information about what exactly the shadow was, but it was still worth reading ,
Tina
The story was good enough, the characters interesting and likable. But then it simply ended, without an explanation of what the hell it was that was wreaking havoc in the town, and why. It was a disappointing finish to an otherwise enjoyable tale. Boo.
Shelby
Oct 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
I got bored and couldn't finish had. Finally just returned it. ...more
Beth
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I would actually give this story 3.5 stars.
Angela Simmons
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I went into this one thinking I was going to get this creepy little horror story, after all the book is subtitled: A Horror Novel, what I got was a suspense novel, which was a letdown.

Here’s what’s going on. Paul’s been haunted by shadows all of his life but attributed them to his overactive author’s imagination. When Paul returns to his hometown, he soon realizes there’s more to the shadows than he realized. Now that a child has gone missing, Paul and his friends set out to uncover the truth R
Terry
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read Creek Book 1 You May want to leave the lights on

Red Creek book 1

I would not have called it a cliff-hanger except for at the end of the book it said END. Read the conclusion in RETURN TO RED CREEK.

I was fine with the ending, really. Ignorance is bliss and all that. The ending of RED CREEK was a good ending. I could have gone on and thought happy thoughts. But NO, the author had to say the above.

Now I have to borrow the next book using my Kindle Unlimited to find out what really happens. I
Jeff French
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Red Creek was hard to put down. I love a story where the events of the past impact the present, and that's true of Red Creek except those past events are not history, but are still happening. I enjoyed the characters, and how the main character, Paul, is able to bring some of the townspeople together to help solve the mystery, and mend some bridges along the way. Red Creek is a novel where the more the reader learns, the more questions are raised, and the reader is propelled through the story. N ...more
M
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good Mystery With Well-Integrated Horror Elements

This disappearing children mystery is well-plotted and supernatural horror elements are skillfully integrated. The horror elements are always present, subtle at the beginning but as the setting shifts, so does the scare factor. I was comfortable reading “Red Creek,” because at the highest horror levels, I was on edge but never frightened.
This book works because of the isolated small town setting and the surrounding dark countryside and ominous wo
Allan Batchelder
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
By strange coincidence, I read three (and it may have been more, I can't remember the full details of the others) horror novels about writers dealing with their estranged wives while fighting the supernatural. Some of these novels included Gilchrist, Kill Creek and, now, Red Creek (apparently, there's something about writers, creeks, ex-wives and horror). I also read two Canadian indie authors in a row. Long story short, Red Creek might be better than I thought, and I'm just burned out on the ge ...more
D. E.
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A NH. Horror Mystery From the Recesses of His Mind

NH. has. penned a very unusual horror story, which almost reads like a personal experience. It is my firm belief that everyone has a childhood memory that when they remember the incident there have chills and goosebumps. Red Creek, most likely, did not scare many primarily because of the movies we see today. This story line was similar to what the children faced in our neighborhood. We told our parents, but they all thought we were making it up.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dead Crow
  • The Splendor of Fear
  • Demon King (The Bloodletter Chronicles #1)
  • The Dark Sacrifice
  • The Seventh Victim
  • Forest of the Damned
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

Essay collections offer a unique kind of reader experience, one that can be rewarding in a different way from novels or even other types of...