Start by marking “The Secret of Zoone” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Zoone

The Secret of Zoone

(Zoone #1)

Welcome to Zoone: crossroads of the multiverse. In this inventive fantasy, fans of Diana Wynne Jones and Lisa McMann will step through an enchanted doorway and into a world filled with infinite portals to new—and sometimes perilous—lands.

When a bright blue winged tiger appears on his aunt’s sofa, Ozzie can tell he’s in for an adventure. He’s thrilled to follow Tug—a skyg
Published March 5th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Zoone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Zoone

Start your review of The Secret of Zoone
Tanya Kyi
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Secret of Zoone is a magical romp through a universe – a multiverse, actually – of unique characters and surprising plot twists. As Ozzie tries to get the magical door to earth re-opened, so he can reconnect with his lost aunt, there is plenty of tension. But there's also a ton of fun on every page. This book will make you want to pack your feathered hat and set forth for distant worlds.
Ev N
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why isn't this kid investigating more doors? Oh right. I have to be patient for the next books in the trilogy. Dang it! Love Tug the Skyger and all of Ozzie's new friends and mentors. More please!
Kathie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mysterious door in the basement of an apartment building, a blue tiger with wings, and a extra creepy landlord are the first signs that Ozzie is in for an adventure. He finds himself in the land of Zoone, which is a station with many different doors that lead to a number of unique worlds. But Ozzie learns the door back to Earth is broken, and he desperately wants to go home to see his aunt (she knows about Zoone but has never mentioned it to him, and he wonders why). But there is trouble brewi ...more
shannon c.
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 8 year old daughter devoured this book over the summer (she is generally reading 5-7th grade level books). She LOVED it! She said it was magical and exciting. She said there was a lot of action that carries through the whole book. She loved the world of Zoone so much that she created a costume for Halloween to go as Fidget, the princess with inappropriately purple hair. She can hardly wait for the sequel
Destiny Bridwell
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. First off I have to say just how cute and sweet and adventurous this book is. I did not read a lot of books as a child about portals. But I wish this book had been around when I was that age. I have to say that Tug the skyger is my favorite character. What is not to like. He is a winged blue tiger. The station with all of the door was just amazing and detail made it feel like I was right there. I know this book does not come out for a ...more
Tatiana
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am glad I had the chance to read such a book which had wonderful imagery and humor. The author gave the audience a feeling of being wanted by others and loved. This book will give children of all ages a sense of being a team and finding one's place in the world. All of the characters had a major part in the story in dealing with deceit, love, friendship, doubt, and revenge. I especially liked Tug, who showed others the meaning of living and being accepted by others, no mater where they are fro ...more
Hannah Belyea
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ozzie loves his Aunt, but her cramped apartment, along with his lack of friends and parents that are always travelling, are starting to stifle him - until he ends up trapped in the middle of a magical multiverse, where he must team up with a winged tyger and cursed princess to stop a wicked evil from taking over! Födi will keep readers entertained with every page of this humorous and charming adventure full of strange worlds and colourful characters. Can Ozzie figure out all the odd rules and wa ...more
Stephanie
Endless amounts of fun, with the most endearing animal sidekick you've ever seen, I promise. We've all read portal fantasies before, and this one drew me in because it builds on that formula in the most creative and colorful way, landing readers in a bustling station at the center of the multiverse, where travelers come and go between hundreds of magical worlds. Once you've seen one, you'll want to visit even more of them! :)
K.A. Wiggins
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super fun new middle-grade portal fantasy!

The whole escape-through-the-basement scene had me thinking of Suzanne Collins's Gregor and the Overlanders, but it's more magical and whimsical fantasy than dark action fantasy. Detailed and imaginative descriptions, wacky but well-developed characterization, and an exciting plot with dramatic challenges and villains make this a series to watch for sure. I also liked that there was a bit of mystery, with teases, twists, and misdirects that I didn't imme
Maggie Maxfield
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-quincy
Quincy picked this from the "New Book" library shelf, and I inwardly groaned because its title sounded ominously like a book I didn't really enjoy, "The Secret Zoo." But guess what? It was a blast to read aloud. It's the kind of book that one wishes were accompanied by illustrations and maps on the inside cover. I didn't think my kindergartner would have the attention span for all 30 chapters or the ability to grasp the themes and plot tie-ins that were hundreds of pages apart, but she totally f ...more
Jasper Shifflett
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I love the world of Zoone, so much. The ending had me fighting tears and the world has a good selection of complex characters that stood out from the crowd. Action scenes are exciting and flow well, and I'm looking forward to the full chaotic potential that a flying tiger deserves. The 2nd is on my to-be-read list and I can't wait to see more adventures from behind the doors!
Lisa Kizer
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Other than having pages 220 to 248 out of consecutive order this book was really good. Picked it up to do ARR for my public school library and was not disappointed. You should try it.
Jo Stevens
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Secret of Zoone isn't a bad story. It's a little cutesy but it did leave me guessing as to who the bad guy was, so all in all it was quite a good story.
Marcus
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
it was really good,i loved it and the realization moments
Maria
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ozzie travels to Zoone through a secret door and finds a group of friends. A skyger named Tug, a purple haired princess (Fidget), and a wizard's apprentice (Salamanda). Can they save Zoone and the Multiverse or is one of them the spy the are looking for?

I received a copy of the book.
Joyce
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Good read.
Rob
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great fantasy for middle grades! Lots in here to keep kids and kids at heart turning pages. Mr. Födi has fun with words and whether it is the hunt for the Glibberspy or another preposasterous situation it really shows. Looking forward to book 2 already!
Heather Walter
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 8-year-old and I loved it! Our favorite character was Tug.
Parisa
It was a good read.
Tanya Packer
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Loved the world and characters!
KittyReader
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hello fellow readers! The Secret Of Zoone is the one of the BEST books I’ve read this month!!! The main characters are Ozzie from Eridea ( the word that Zoonians use for Earth ) Tug the wingless skyger, and a Quoxxian princess named Fidget. When Ozzie finds Tug on his aunt’s couch,he knows he is in for an adventure. Ozzie and Tug go through a door in the basement that has a N hanging from a rusty nail and... it leads to a place called Zoone!!! But behind Ozzie,the door back to Eridea collapses! ...more
Valerie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
So far this is an amazing book that both my son and my husband are loving....
Kathy
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of action and a new world(s) to explore, the language was occasionally clunky and it never explained why Ozzie didn't have any friends or how the villain got a job on Earth as a handyman. Weirdly, several sections were misbound so I had to flip pages around to read it in the right order.
Jennybeast
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, adventure
Solid portal adventure into the magical crossroads world of Zoone. I enjoyed the Skyger, I was often confused by why Ozzie was an outcast, and I was amused by the many novel characters and creatures from other worlds.

Advanced Readers Copy provided by Edelweiss.
PWRL
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Evelyn
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unfortunatly the copy we picked up from the library had the page numbers out of order so it was a bit tricky to read for a bit.
Ainsley
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, but I'm on page 220 and the printing is totally messed up. First it skips one page, then its normal, then it skips 3 pages!! And then after page 240, it goes back to page 237!!! But I still can't skip around because some pages aren't even in there!! I skipped ahead to look at page numbers and it stops after that. But I'm angry because I have to wait to finish a really great book!!!
I contacted the library, and they are going to tell me when they get a new copy, so it's all g
Emmaj
Apr 09, 2019
Carrie Copa
Nov 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • Dragonfell
  • The Once and Future Geek (The Camelot Code #1)
  • A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying
  • Ghost and Bone
  • The Portal (Tangled in Time #1)
  • Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor
  • The One and Only Bob
  • Spark
  • Changeling (The Oddmire, #1)
  • Prairie Lotus
  • When You Trap a Tiger
  • Witchy
  • The Line Tender
  • Twist
  • Stargazing
  • Ember and the Ice Dragons
  • Eleanor, Alice, & the Roosevelt Ghosts
Lee Edward Födi is a children's author, illustrator, and educator—or, as he likes to think of himself, a daydreaming specialist.

He is the author of The Secret of Zoone (HarperCollins Children's Books) and the The Chronicles of Kendra Kandlestar (Simply Read Books), which include The Box of Whispers, The Door to Unger, The Shard from Greeve, The Crack in Kazah, and The Search for Arazeen.

He has al