Start by marking “Firefly: Big Damn Hero” as Want to Read:
Firefly: Big Damn Hero

Firefly: Big Damn Hero

(Firefly #1)

The first original novel tying into the critically acclaimed and much-missed Firefly series from creator Joss Whedon.

The Battle of Serenity Valley was the turning point that led the Independents to their defeat at the hands of the Alliance. Yet the Browncoats had held the valley for weeks against all odds, before being ordered to lay down their arms. Command stated they re
Published October 16th 2018 by Titan Books

Start your review of Firefly: Big Damn Hero
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
"You can't take the sky from me."
Nina
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never ever rate books I haven't read, let alone those that haven't been released, but some purple-belly gave this one star and I will not have that, no sir.

That said, holy shit! More Firefly? More of the best dysfunctional space family? Yeeeees!!
Molly Mortensen
A new Firefly novel?

Hollis
Some of this really did feel like true blue Firefly, fully equipped with Whedon banter and turn of phrase and characterization, but so much of it was.. dull. Slow. And the ending was so predictable it pained me.

The only upside is that I think I'll be bingeing the show over the holidays. I am now super nostalgic.
Pippa DaCosta
Seriously, that rating? Who one-stars a new Firefly novel?!
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
It's been almost sixteen years since Firefly was cancelled by FOX, and honestly I'm still not over it. As a person that lives in a reality where Serenity does not exist, I was more than eager to dive back into the black with the crew that started my love for space opera and ragtag crews. But I was also apprehensive: would the series hold up? For me this book was everything that I was looking for and I am so excited for the next books in the series!

Firefly: Big Damn Hero contextually happens in t
Silvana
Well, we no longer need to find a Firefly-like novels or series, do we? We have it already! The real deal, in fact, not some sorry copycats.

3.5 stars rounded up. I still have a few issues: some of the plot devices and the dialogue from Wash (should be funnier) but the gorram book is still shiny.

We have multiples POVs; while not all of them clicked yet (in my own head canon), some are truly enjoyable: Book and Jayne especially. I had so much fun with Mal and the rest of crew and cannot wait to h
Katie.dorny
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This would have been a 4 star read if it wasn’t for that phoned in and so so typical ending.

The beginning got off to a slow start, meeting up with Captain Mal again but as the plot developed I was intrigued.

Unfortunately, once we meet his past love interest things just follow the can’t be bothered book ending in so many books that just choose to cash in on a franchise.

Zoe was dope, so was Mr Preacher Man.

There was wittiness in the dialogue which I enjoyed, but the last quarter of the book just d
Rea K
Feb 10, 2018 added it
Now the question for me is this: Are these going to be hit and miss like the Torchwood and Doctor Who books (Yeah, I read a couple of the Torchwood books. So sue me. I have a deep adoration for Ianto Jones and Jack Harkness) or national treasures that capture the essence of the original series? (Oh, stop. I know how Serenity ended. In ugly sobbing and a month of 'what do I do now?' Don't remind me. I know we can't reverse some probably executive decisions, but I do hope we can deepen the River s ...more
Mel (Epic Reading)
There is no doubt that an appetite for Firefly/Serenity multiverse stories continues to exist. With the exception of the original Star Trek, no other cancelled series has ever accumulated as much content as Firefly. So here we have a new story given to us in novel format (there are also graphic novels and comics to date). And while the story itself is decent (thanks to Nancy Holder); the actual execution by writer James Lovegrove leaves a bit to be desired.

Characters
The one thing that is clearl
Sarah Swann
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so fun! A high action story with funny lines that kept me entertained. This felt like a Firefly movie. Thumbs up!
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Is it a good life or a bad one? The answer doesn't matter. It's the only life we have."

Oh, my fractured Browncoat heart.

How long have I been saying there should be full-length Firefly books?! SO GORRAMN LONG!!

To say this first tie-in Firefly novel was long-awaited by the fandom would be an incredible understatement. Serenity came out in 2005, people! TWO THOUSAND AND FIVE!!!

The fact we finally FINALLY have Firefly novels (the next one is set for a March release) makes me so happy. But also sad.
Kara
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Firefly: Big Damn Hero (Firefly #1)” disappointed. There…I said it. I loved Firefly, and I really really was looking forward to this audiobook.

The narrator did a decent job, and it was fun reimagining the crew of Firefly. The biggest problem I had was the same I had with a Star Trek audiobook that disappointed me: it’s just too long!

Now you’d think that the longer the better (ok, knock it off; I’m a lesbian!), but the story dragged on without visuals. They say a picture is worth a thousand word
Stephen
"Well, look-at-this! Seems we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?"
"Big damn heroes, sir."
"Ain't we just?"

I am a patient miser who almost never buys books new, preferring to wait until used copies hit the market. But when I learned that there was a Firefly novel scheduled for release, I preordered and didn't blink. Set during the run of the show, Big Damn Hero delivers as close as we'll get to another episode of the shiniest show that ever ran. At its opening, Mal Reynolds
Mick
”Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal”

All Firefly fans will probably remember this quote from the show, and I currently feel just like Wash’s plant-eating dinosaur must have felt, when it was betrayed by a meat-eating dinosaur.

Yes! It was a tie-in novel, and I have read my share of bad tie-in novels in the past, so I had my fears about Big Damn Hero being released more for the sake of profit than for the sake of its’ captivating story, but when I saw the production value of the book – th
Holly
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a firefly fan I highly recommend this book!
Magali
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all the shiny browncoats
It was really good at the beginning. Well it had to, it was a Firefly novel. As a Browncoat, I'm always searching for new Firefly content, and official novel was the big dream (well, a dream, because the big dream is the TRILOGY obviously). Also, I liked the pitch : Mal is kidnapped, the crew tries to find him while he has to fight against something from his past, also there are crates full of a chemical that could go KABOOM at any moment in Serenity's hold. It would make a great episode !

And it
Seth Skorkowsky
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Do you love Firefly?
Have you ever wanted a whole book about Serenity’s lovable crew that relies on you already loving them rather than giving you a reason to?
Did you ever wonder what Firefly would be like without the witty banter that it was famous for?
Do you like endless references to the old show crammed in and awkwardly placed at every conceivable moment for 17 straight chapters, while simultaneously not adding to what you already know, almost like a clumsy best-of script with references to t
RG
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this recaptured the magic of the tv show whereas parts are very cliched. The ending was way too simple, which knocked it down a star. Definitely a fanboy read. If you havent watched the t.v. show or the film, then give it a miss.
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
3 stars. Okay, so this takes place after the series end but before the film Serenity. If you have even an inkling of interest in watching the show, don’t read this book first. You’ll get spoiled for minor things but also you’ll get more out of it seeing the show first and getting to know the characters and the world. But on the flip side, if you have no interest at all in the show and just enjoy sci-fi then you can totally pick this up and be fine.

I didn’t love this but in no way was it bad. I
Margaret
On the book jacket (AND the title page), it says Big Damn Hero Firefly by James Lovegrove. Original story concept by Nancy Holder. In the acknowledgments section at the back of the book, Lovegrove thanks Holder for "letting me pick up her ball and run with it". The next page About the Authors gives a short bio for both Ms. Holder and Mr. Lovegrove.

I had assumed that this Big Damn Hero book would be a prequel to the Firefly TV show. In fact, it picks up during the "eleven of the fourteen produce
Maddy Barone
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Well written. The authors obviously are thoroughly acquainted with the world ('Verse) and the characters. I was afraid Mal, Zoe, and the rest would not be themselves, but caricatures. Thankfully, all the characters behave the way they would have in the TV series. The dialogue is spot on. My favorite thing? Learning more about Shepherd Book's history. We get some precious nuggets about why the Alliance has shown him deference in the past. We learn more about Mal's childhood and young ad
Kathleen
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Firefly fan and was interested when I heard of these novels (yes, another due out in early 2019). Will say that the vocabulary and timbre of the character is well done. The plot lines don't introduce anything *too* new but for the delving into Mal's pre-war past.
Some of the memories dragged on a bit, but I have read much worse so no more whinging about it.
Not sure if anyone who hasn't watched the (criminally short) series will enjoy it, certainly not AS much. I will recommend it and look f
Christina Busche
As a huge fan of the show, I wanted to love this book. However, the magic of Firefly remains elusive. I caught glimpses here and there, enough to warrant 3 stars, but it is far from recaptured.
Dave Packard
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laser, kindle
Back in the ‘verse! Got some back story on Mal, and a great new adventure. Probably best read with some idea what Firefly is, but I do, so for me it was 5 stars all the way!
Gemma ♕ antari.and.the.books
Awesome! Reads like a missing episode or a continuation of this prematurely cancelled show! So nice to be back with these characters and their shenanigans! Can't wait for more!
William
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you miss firefly pick this novel up. Its like another episode. Beside being well written. The characters are perfect, and we learn a more about Shepard Book. The biggest mystery of the series. It’s a swift read and captures every essence of what I love about firefly. I will be reading the next too.
Tammy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: An outstanding tie-in to the beloved TV series, this book is shiny in every way possible.

“I have a problem with authority,” Mal said, “not least when said authority is a big, fat, corrupt lawman with poor personal hygiene and a face that’d give a moose nightmares.”

Bundy strode down the front steps and sauntered ov
Terri
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to jump back into the Firefly universe again...I’d missed these characters. I can’t wait to pick up the other books!
J. Griff
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a Browncoat & will forever be one. This was a suspenseful beginning to a long-time needed novel series. The story’s timeline is during the 2002 tv series timeline & gives a lot of much wanted background on this “Big Damn Hero” CPT Malcom Reynolds. We get some schoolin’ on Mal’s life on his home world of Shadow. As Mal gets overpowered & taken hostage by a group of former Browncoats for the crimes of treason & betrayal during the war for Independence. While Zoe & the rest of the crew of Seren ...more

• Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1
  • Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 2
  • Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 3
  • Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One
  • Firefly Original Graphic Novel: The Sting
  • Murder by Other Means (The Dispatcher, #2)
  • Firefly: Legacy Edition Book Two
  • Forget Nothing (Galaxy's Edge Series)
  • The Space Race
  • Phreaks
  • The Real Sherlock
  • The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, #1)
  • A Murder of Manatees (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #2)
  • Murder on the Orient Elite (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Paradigm 2045: Trinity's Children
  • Serenity
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
James Lovegrove is the author of several acclaimed novels and books for children.

James was born on Christmas Eve 1965 and, having dabbled in writing at school, first took to it seriously while at university. A short story of his won a college competition. The prize was £15, and it had cost £18 to get the story professionally typed. This taught him a hard but necessary lesson in the harsh economic

Firefly (4 books)
  • Firefly: The Magnificent Nine
  • Firefly: Generations
  • Firefly: The Ghost Machine

News & Interviews

“To a snail, a duck is a vengeful god.” 1 likes
“Browncoats, look up to the skies! Browncoats, hail the dawn! Today will see tyranny Dying with the morn. “Browncoats, are you weary? Browncoats, rise and sing! Your time has come, your war is won. Victory takes wing.” 0 likes