Start by marking “Firefly: Big Damn Hero” as Want to Read:
Firefly: Big Damn Hero

Firefly: Big Damn Hero

(Firefly #1)

The first original novel tying into the critically acclaimed and much-missed Firefly series from creator Joss Whedon.

The Battle of Serenity Valley was the turning point that led the Independents to their defeat at the hands of the Alliance. Yet the Browncoats had held the valley for weeks against all odds, before being ordered to lay down their arms. Command stated they re
Published October 16th 2018 by Titan Books

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
"You can't take the sky from me."
Nina
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-released
I never ever rate books I haven't read, let alone those that haven't been released, but some purple-belly gave this one star and I will not have that, no sir.

That said, holy shit! More Firefly? More of the best dysfunctional space family? Yeeeees!!
Pippa DaCosta
Seriously, that rating? Who one-stars a new Firefly novel?!
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
It's been almost sixteen years since Firefly was cancelled by FOX, and honestly I'm still not over it. As a person that lives in a reality where Serenity does not exist, I was more than eager to dive back into the black with the crew that started my love for space opera and ragtag crews. But I was also apprehensive: would the series hold up? For me this book was everything that I was looking for and I am so excited for the next books in the series!

Firefly: Big Damn Hero contextually happens in t
Hollis
Some of this really did feel like true blue Firefly, fully equipped with Whedon banter and turn of phrase and characterization, but so much of it was.. dull. Slow. And the ending was so predictable it pained me.

The only upside is that I think I'll be bingeing the show over the holidays. I am now super nostalgic.
Katie.dorny
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This would have been a 4 star read if it wasn’t for that phoned in and so so typical ending.

The beginning got off to a slow start, meeting up with Captain Mal again but as the plot developed I was intrigued.

Unfortunately, once we meet his past love interest things just follow the can’t be bothered book ending in so many books that just choose to cash in on a franchise.

Zoe was dope, so was Mr Preacher Man.

There was wittiness in the dialogue which I enjoyed, but the last quarter of the book just d
Silvana
Well, we no longer need to find a Firefly-like novels or series, do we? We have it already! The real deal, in fact, not some sorry copycats.

3.5 stars rounded up. I still have a few issues: some of the plot devices and the dialogue from Wash (should be funnier) but the gorram book is still shiny.

We have multiples POVs; while not all of them clicked yet (in my own head canon), some are truly enjoyable: Book and Jayne especially. I had so much fun with Mal and the rest of crew and cannot wait to h
Rea K
Feb 10, 2018 marked it as probably  ·  review of another edition
Now the question for me is this: Are these going to be hit and miss like the Torchwood and Doctor Who books (Yeah, I read a couple of the Torchwood books. So sue me. I have a deep adoration for Ianto Jones and Jack Harkness) or national treasures that capture the essence of the original series? (Oh, stop. I know how Serenity ended. In ugly sobbing and a month of 'what do I do now?' Don't remind me. I know we can't reverse some probably executive decisions, but I do hope we can deepen the River s ...more
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Is it a good life or a bad one? The answer doesn't matter. It's the only life we have."

Oh, my fractured Browncoat heart.

How long have I been saying there should be full-length Firefly books?! SO GORRAMN LONG!!

To say this first tie-in Firefly novel was long-awaited by the fandom would be an incredible understatement. Serenity came out in 2005, people! TWO THOUSAND AND FIVE!!!

The fact we finally FINALLY have Firefly novels (the next one is set for a March release) makes me so happy. But also sad.
Magali
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all the shiny browncoats
It was really good at the beginning. Well it had to, it was a Firefly novel. As a Browncoat, I'm always searching for new Firefly content, and official novel was the big dream (well, a dream, because the big dream is the TRILOGY obviously). Also, I liked the pitch : Mal is kidnapped, the crew tries to find him while he has to fight against something from his past, also there are crates full of a chemical that could go KABOOM at any moment in Serenity's hold. It would make a great episode !

And it
Meital
Oct 25, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
There's no place, I can be, Since I've found Serenity.
Holly
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a firefly fan I highly recommend this book!
Stephen
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Well, look-at-this! Seems we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?"
"Big damn heroes, sir."
"Ain't we just?"

I am a patient miser who almost never buys books new, preferring to wait until used copies hit the market. But when I learned that there was a Firefly novel scheduled for release, I preordered and didn't blink. Set during the run of the show, Big Damn Hero delivers as close as we'll get to another episode of the shiniest show that ever ran. At its opening, Mal Reynolds
Mick
”Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal”

All Firefly fans will probably remember this quote from the show, and I currently feel just like Wash’s plant-eating dinosaur must have felt, when it was betrayed by a meat-eating dinosaur.

Yes! It was a tie-in novel, and I have read my share of bad tie-in novels in the past, so I had my fears about Big Damn Hero being released more for the sake of profit than for the sake of its’ captivating story, but when I saw the production value of the book – the
Christina
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As a huge fan of the show, I wanted to love this book. However, the magic of Firefly remains elusive. I caught glimpses here and there, enough to warrant 3 stars, but it is far from recaptured.
Kathleen
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Firefly fan and was interested when I heard of these novels (yes, another due out in early 2019). Will say that the vocabulary and timbre of the character is well done. The plot lines don't introduce anything *too* new but for the delving into Mal's pre-war past.
Some of the memories dragged on a bit, but I have read much worse so no more whinging about it.
Not sure if anyone who hasn't watched the (criminally short) series will enjoy it, certainly not AS much. I will recommend it and look f
Maddy Barone
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Well written. The authors obviously are thoroughly acquainted with the world ('Verse) and the characters. I was afraid Mal, Zoe, and the rest would not be themselves, but caricatures. Thankfully, all the characters behave the way they would have in the TV series. The dialogue is spot on. My favorite thing? Learning more about Shepherd Book's history. We get some precious nuggets about why the Alliance has shown him deference in the past. We learn more about Mal's childhood and young ad
Dave Packard
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, laser
Back in the ‘verse! Got some back story on Mal, and a great new adventure. Probably best read with some idea what Firefly is, but I do, so for me it was 5 stars all the way!
Curtis McIntyre
This might be enjoyable for younger readers, but the YA style was off-putting to me as someone who watched the show when it aired and has since aged into adulthood. Felt like I was back in high-school reading so-so fanfic.
Margaret
On the book jacket (AND the title page), it says Big Damn Hero Firefly by James Lovegrove. Original story concept by Nancy Holder. In the acknowledgments section at the back of the book, Lovegrove thanks Holder for "letting me pick up her ball and run with it". The next page About the Authors gives a short bio for both Ms. Holder and Mr. Lovegrove.

I had assumed that this Big Damn Hero book would be a prequel to the Firefly TV show. In fact, it picks up during the "eleven of the fourteen produce
Tammy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: An outstanding tie-in to the beloved TV series, this book is shiny in every way possible.

“I have a problem with authority,” Mal said, “not least when said authority is a big, fat, corrupt lawman with poor personal hygiene and a face that’d give a moose nightmares.”

Bundy strode down the front steps and sauntered over to Mal,
Emma
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wenn nach all den Jahren plötzlich einen Roman namens "Firefly" erscheint und man auf dem Cover trotz des Zeichenstils sofort Mal und Zoe erkennt, stellt sich sofort die Frage: Fanservice?
Ist es das? - Ja.
Ist das schlimm? - Nein. Und ja.

Ich habe es geliebt, auf die Serenity zurückzukehren und wieder Zeit mit den geliebten Charakteren zu verbringen. Ein neues Abenteuer mit Mal, Zoe, Wash, Kaylee, Jayne, Inara, Book, River und Simon zu erleben. Mehr über sie zu erfahren (hier vor allem über Mal),
Diane ~Firefly~
I LOVE Firefly, so I was thrilled when I heard there would be novels. I was even more excited when I started and realized it was set before the movie (which I love as well). This had some great things and not so great things.

What I enjoyed:
* backstory on Mal even if it wasn't anything like I expected
* backstory on Book, which was more like I expected
* Mal and Book shone in this story. Zoe had a big part, but didn't seem as in character.
* Jayne is always good for some comic relief and violence

Wha
Geonn Cannon
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Firefly! I found myself wishing toward the beginning that Inara had more to do, since it seemed like she was being reduced to the resident taxi driver, but there really wasn't much call for her to do anything else (a problem when you have so many characters). I appreciated a deeper dive into Book's character, and Mal's backstory got fleshed out nicely in a way that made sense for who he would become.

An excellent Firefly story, and a great addition to the canon.
Ashley
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serenity, oh how I've missed you!
Herman
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WyrmbergSabrina
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like reading an episode. If you are a fan, you'll love this.
Filled with the usual shenanigans, bad luck and Mal getting punched a lot! There's history, references to our leads past and loads of wonderful character moments.
I loved it.
Tearshiani Glass
I promised to update when I finished. Well I just finished and I wish I wasn't 💔. Wow what a gorram great story, but I'm devastated that I reached the end and it feels like the end of the show all over again. *sigh* but if you love Firefly you'll love this story 💙
Kerry Nietz
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of Firefly will doubtless find “Big Damn Hero” a brisk read like it was for me. It was great fun to stomp around in the ‘verse again. Felt like it was just another episode in the series. I think the author did a great job of recreating the personalities and scenarios. Some of the characters got more use than others—for instance, Mal and Zoe had large roles, while Inara and Simon were barely utilized—but that’s typical for a single TV episode too. I anticipate that other characters will get ...more
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Firefly: Big Damn Hero [Oct TBD, 2018] 37 82 Dec 27, 2018 12:58AM
Firefly: Big Damn Hero 2 4 Dec 09, 2018 01:16PM

• Firefly: The Magnificent Nine
  • Firefly: Generations
  • Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse
  • A Matter of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #3)
  • Doctor Who: The TARDIS Handbook
  • The Librarians and the Pot of Gold (The Librarians, #3)
  • My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel
  • Far Beyond the Stars
  • Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
  • Quantum Leap: The Novel
  • Natural History
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 3: The Fountains of Forever
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • The Kingdom
  • Crashing Heat (Nikki Heat, #10)
  • The Light Brigade
  • The War of the Prophets
Nancy Holder, New York Times Bestselling author of the WICKED Series, has just published CRUSADE - the first book in a new vampire series cowritten with Debbie Viguie. The last book her her Possession series is set to release in March 2011.

Nancy was born in Los Altos, California, and her family settled for a time in Walnut Creek. Her father, who taught at Stanford, joined the navy and the family t

Firefly (3 books)
  • Firefly: The Magnificent Nine
  • Firefly: Generations
“To a snail, a duck is a vengeful god.” 1 likes
“Browncoats, look up to the skies! Browncoats, hail the dawn! Today will see tyranny Dying with the morn. “Browncoats, are you weary? Browncoats, rise and sing! Your time has come, your war is won. Victory takes wing.” 0 likes