Start by marking “Owl Eyes: A Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
Owl Eyes: A Fairy Tale

Owl Eyes: A Fairy Tale

Nora knows three things: she is a servant, her parents are dead, and she lives in the kitchen house with her adoptive family. But her world is torn apart when she discovers that her birth father has always been right there, living in the house she serves.

This discovery leads Nora to more questions. Why was she thrown in an ash-covered room for asking about her father? Why
Published March 20th 2018 by Fire and Ice YA (first published February 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Owl Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owl Eyes

Start your review of Owl Eyes: A Fairy Tale
Sara
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fiction, fantasy
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

On the surface this is a Cinderella retelling, if Cinderella was grittier and a bit gothic and depressing. I have mixed feelings about retellings. On the one hand I love the idea of taking something well known and turning it into something fresh and interesting, but I can be extremely critical if this fails. This falls somewhere in the middle. I admire the author for having he guts to take on such an infamous tale as Cinderella and
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Well, this is one of those books hard to rate. While the story was an highly enjoyable retelling, the ending was rushed and felt like it was lacking. Throughout the story, we get to experience a beautiful and grimly dark fairy tale which was awesome. While I liked the story, I would not re-read it.
I want to thank NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review. I appreciate this opportunity and all views expressed are my own.
Nandini Bharadwaj
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, reviewed-on-ub
Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review

The voice of the protagonist and the wonderfully described setting swept me away since page one. Nora, our Cinderella, was much more realistic and flawed than the Disney version of Cinderella (which is the only version I’m familiar with and don’t like all that much). The constant mention of food made my mouth water as I absorbed the story. It started off slowly but by the end I was a huge fan of the plot.
Kathy - Books & Munches
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, read-in-2018
This is a fairy tale retelling; a Cinderella retelling to be precise.
I expectedOwl Eyes to be "just" a retelling, but it gave me so much more than I thought it would. It isn't just a fairy tale, it's a darker one. You can feel the negative emotions when you're reading. There's hope, sure, but the negative undercurrent is so much more alive and dragged me downwards big time.Not in a bad way though!

Even though I never found myself rooting for Eleanor, the main character, she does have her own
Abby
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for a good fairytale retelling and I went into this one with no idea what to expect. Owl eyes is a dark retelling if Cinderella (or at least dark compared to the Disney version I am used to!) the subtle world building, character development and twists to a classic story make this a worthwhile read. I didnt exactly root for Nora as a protagonist but I like to see characters with imperfections as it adds realism to the story. Definitely read if you are a fan of fairy tale retellings!
Megan
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Robin McKinley, Cinderella, or retellings
*I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review but I ended up getting to it late.*

Update: Upon reviewing, Molly Lazer sent me an email about my review and I have to say, that is great author connection. I approve and look forward to seeing what she comes out with next!

I certainly didn't expect so much from this book! A dark retelling of Cinderella, this is full of emotion, mystery, and magic. Admittedly the beginning was a bit slow, but when it got going, it really got going. I don't
Jessica
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

'Owl Eyes' is a well thought out re-imagining of Cinderella in which readers spend most of the book learning about our main character, Nora, and the warm, loving people who help her serve the Lord of the house. This is an original tale about a young woman and how she came to be a servant living in a Lord's kitchen house. Though she contributes heavily to food preparation, Nora is prohibited from serving the family in person and is punished when she dares to inquire about her dead
Nikki
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely am in love with this story. It was just so endearing and such a treasure. It feels like one of those wonderful bedtime stories that you can snuggle up to at night and then just fall asleep with a smile on your face. The author’s writing just beautifully flows, which makes it easy to read.

It starts out with Nora and the mystery surrounding her unknown parents and a dark room covered in ash with no windows. There were so many things that actually surprised me while reading this book:
Asma (oasisgirlmd)
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm always wary of retellings, but this was done brilliantly.
The story had a darker side, compared to Cinderella, but still captured the premise of our favourite fairytale. Elements of magic, a mysterious past and the fact that not all happily ever afters consist of a prince and princess, gave this book it's individuality.

I just loved how the author ended the story. It was realistic and makes one realize that sometimes all one is looking for, is right in front of your eyes.
Melissa Souza
**Thank you to Fire and Ice YA and NetGalley for sending me an ARC in return for an honest review.

2.5 stars!!!

Where do I even start with this book? When I read the blurb, I was pretty excited to read this one. But, I'm sorely disappointed. The story is a retelling of "Cinderella" but it's more dark fantasy than the classic fairytale and takes its cue from the Grimm brothers. However, the story is very poorly executed.

Firstly, the writing is very mediocre. There's no worldbuidling whatsoever and
Vikkie Wakeham
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for fairytale retellings. I didn’t know what to expect by this one. I was attracted purely because it had fairytale in the title. This is a dark take on Cinderella, which is one of my favourites.

The story has some heart-wrenching moments at the beginning, which made me feel emotional as the reader. These only made me want to read more to find out what was going to happen next.

I enjoyed finding out as I continued reading how magical this book is. I wasn’t really rooting for the
bjneary
Molly Laser's book was give to me by my great librarian friend, Randi Wall, to read and oh did I enjoy this improved Cinderella fairy tale in this powerful debut with a heroine who endures much and grows even stronger as a result. What Nora knows about her real parents isn't much, but volumes can be said about Greta and Peter, the servants who adopted her, showed her much love and taught her to endure despite the bullying, punishments, and slights. As Nora stumbles into truth, will she make the ...more
Taylor
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you netgalley for the e arc!

This book is DARK. it is a Cinderella retelling but more along the lines of the Grimm brothers. It is gritty and realistic. I love how the characters weren't painted in a lovely perspective. It is unique
Jantine
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I often like retellings of fairy tales, especially if they are good.
The characters were very real. Not one of them was perfect, and all blemishes, big and small, added to the story and it's twists and turns.

I received a free copy through Netgalley, in return for an honest review.
Erin Fine
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I was really pleased with this book. It had everything I was promised and even though it was darker than I imagined I like those kind of stories. (If you count the fact that I'm also a big fan of Zombie novels - what can I say I like several genres of books not just one :)) The story flowed, I was captivated and it was a really FUN read. I would really recommend this story to anyone who loves fairy tale retellings and to people who like their stories a little darker.

I received a copy of
Robin Goodfellow
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
-I received this book for free from Reader's Favorites. Below is my honest review.

Owl Eyes, by Molly Lazer, is a dark fantasy novel about learning who you are, and knowing who your real family is.

Nora is an orphan living as a servant under Sir Alcander. When she overhears that her father is living in the main house, she decides to investigate the claim herself. When she realizes that there is more to her birth story than what meets the eye, she, alongside her childhood friend, Jack, must
Carolyn
A dark retelling of a Cinderella story, with an unexpected ending.
Jennifer Fenn
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This "Cinderella" re-telling would make a great addition to classroom libraries. Lazer's take on the fairy tale is darker and more realistic, with a fully developed heroine that adds depth to the Disney version many of us are familiar with. The book's themes - class struggles, feminism, coming of age -- would generate interesting classroom discussion! Recommended for middle school and high school readers!
Annika
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a new take on the Cinderella story, and I enjoyed it. I would have liked to see a little more depth in the world-building and use of magic, but overall I enjoyed Nora's story. The ending felt a little rushed, and I would have liked more detail and a longer conclusion. (view spoiler) However, I did like the way it ended. Maybe adding an epilogue would ...more
Also Alice
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had zero expectations when I requested this title as the author was unknown to me and there were no other reviews at that point. I was very pleasantly surprised to find this book to be an absolute delight to read.

It’s clear from early on that the story is a re-imagining of a Cinderella but with a deliciously dark and sinister side. The protagonist, Nora, grows up living and working alongside her adoptive parents in the kitchen house of a large state. She’s teased and tormented on a regular
Jasmine
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Owl Eyes is a modern retelling of Cinderella with an underlying darkness that embodies a true fairy tale. The sanguine Disney retellings that have become embedded in public memory fail to capture the grimness of a proper fairy tale. Lazer delivers a story which has the pace and presence of a traditional fairy tale. By doing so, it has share faults of a classic fairy tale - shallow side characters, light world-building, and a stunningly quick march through the concluding action of the story.

The
Edwin Nealley
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed Owl Eyes.

The novel takes a common tale, Cinderella, and weaves it into an original fantasy yealm, filled with real people.

The story is told in several shades bright joy of common life, dark anger and distrust in the family, grey shades of forbidden magic and the bleak gap of Eleanor's hidden personal story.

Lazer is not afraid to let her characters tell the story, and they are personal and very human in both their successes and in their mistakes. This is not a story foretold
Becca
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
As far as Cinderella retellings go, this one surprised me. I picked this up because I thought it sounded like an interesting take on the same old story we're all familiar with and I was right. Nora is a beautifully complex character and I love her struggle with the revelations about her parentage the world around her. The characters in Nora's kitchen family are wonderful and their stories and voices well done. I'd love to get a book just about them.

The novel overall is a bit of a dark fantasy,
Trish L. Rodriguez
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy fabulist reading, you’ll love Owl Eyes. In her debut novel, Molly Lazer retells Cinderella in rich prose with a more magical slant. There’s a shoe, a gown, and even a prince, and yet Owl Eyes is a story about wanting more out of life. The protagonist, Nora, is at times stubborn and selfish, which makes her feel all the more real and less like a Disney princess. The book deals with Nora’s search for the truth about her parents, but there is a world full of knights and magic called ...more
Bookish
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Owl Eyes in a spectacular rendition of our favourite fairytale, Cinderella. Nora, the main character, is a strong, conflicted young woman who is desperately trying to find her place in the world. While it doesn’t follow true to the traditional fairytale, Molly Lazer’s story guides you on an enthralling and enchanting path of growth, adventure, and misfortune, but above all else - love. Highly recommend this to any reader who enjoys a little magic and childhood nostalgia with their books.
Sarah  (East of the Sun & West of the Moon)
We’re all well acquainted with the tale of Cinderella, and retellings of the story abound. Sometimes they can go in directions that surprise and intrigue; other times they very much tread the same ground. Owl Eyes tells the story of Nora, a kitchen servant on a grand estate, the Runes, whose connections to the main house - and the knight who owns it - are fraught with old secrets, bad blood, and of course, magic. It's ultimately a well-written, straightforward story with intriguing side ...more
Renee
3.5

I received a copy of this novel in return for an honest review

I want to give this novel four or five stars so badly. This was a Cinderella retelling in the best way. The author was brilliant with her characters and her world building.

Nora was a great character and each line was chosen with care and consideration. This was a unique and magical book. I was hesitant at first because the opening line isn't all that great, but once I started reading this I couldn't put it down.

The magic in the
Billy Buttons
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Owl Eyes: A Fairy Tale

Writing Style: 8/10
Content: 6/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 19 readers:
15 would read another book by this author.
18 thought the cover was good or excellent.
19 felt it was easy to follow.
15 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
7 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’.
12 felt the
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please add award 5 27 Jun 24, 2018 07:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN on Kindle Edition 6 18 May 24, 2018 08:46AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add award 5 27 May 24, 2018 07:57AM

• The Devil from the River: Book One of Unforgiven Sins
  • Trash
  • Twice Dead (The Necromancer's Song, #1)
  • King Of Flames (The Masks of Under #1)
  • The Haunting of Hattie Hastings
  • the shawshank redemtion
  • From Fear to Freedom: Living as Sons and Daughters of God
  • The Hardest Peace: Expecting Grace in the Midst of Life's Hard
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
  • The Dragon Kings: Box Set (Dragon Kings, #1-5)
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy, #1)
  • Alice
  • Pathfinder Module: The Dragon's Demand
  • Between Frost and Fury (The Xenith Trilogy, #2)
  • Survival
  • Flawed (Imperfectly Perfect, #1)
  • King Of Shadows (The Masks of Under #2)
  • One Piece, Volume 2: Buggy the Clown
Molly Lazer is a former associate editor at Marvel Comics, where she worked on books such as Fantastic Four, Captain America, New Avengers, and cult favorite comic book Spider-Girl. After returning to graduate school to receive a degree in education, she began a career as a high school reading, writing, and drama teacher. She also serves as a professional critiquer for Comics Experience, helping ...more