Start by marking “Waiting for a Miracle: Historical Novel” as Want to Read:
Waiting for a Miracle: Historical Novel

Waiting for a Miracle: Historical Novel

This is the true story about the journey of a Jewish family through Eastern Europe.

It begins somewhere in Russia in the mid-19th century, and takes the reader into the events during the two world wars, and their ways of existence during the holocaust.

The simple and touching stories are presented from the perspective of a sensitive young boy, fascinated by his

Published February 18th 2018 by Simple Story

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for a Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for a Miracle

Start your review of Waiting for a Miracle: Historical Novel
Grady
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
People will forget what I said, People will forget what I did, But People will never forget How I made them feel.’

Author/historian Helen Wininger Livnat shares first hand knowledge of her life and ancestry and in doing so provides s with one of the more profound and involving books about surviving cataclysmic odds. She was born in Romania, ‘the first daughter of a young couple, and the first grandchild in the family. The sounds of war were approaching our area, and happiness turned into panic
cheryl
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully Written, Yet, Terribly Sad

This book was wonderfully written, yet, painfully sad. This is what the Jewish people went through if they did not go to the concentration camps. It was a book that was hard to put down. A good book for older children to read, probably age 12 and older. I would recommend this book.
CATHLEEN R. ANNETT
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strength and love

This book i could not put down. I love history and to see there life in print and know there will to survive was amazing.
Darlene
I finished reading this a few days ago. I hate it when I finish before I am ready to sleep. I start the next book and forget to get back to the last book to review. But this one needs a review!

There cannot be enough books about the Holocaust. We need to look at it from every angle to make sure it doesn't happen again. This book presented another point of view. It is from paternal journals handed down from the time of the first world war. The great-granddaughter is conveying the story. All the
Sheila
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The voices of Jewish families, adults and children, come to life in Helen Livnat’s Waiting for a Miracle, starting with a small boy in Eastern Europe before the First World War. The Jewish community lives apart from its neighbors. Their children go to their own schools and study different topics. They interact in restrained, well-limited ways, and their rural life is settled, until war and politics intervene.

The author's writing is evocative in a strangely, stark way, drawing the reader in to
Pam
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Waiting for a Miracle Historical Novel is by Helen (Wininger) Livnat. This book is interesting because it takes a family back in the nineteenth century in Bessarabia (Russia) and brings them into the twentieth Century. It tells what happens to them during those years, but the good and bad. It takes them through World War I and World War II. All she had to begin with was a Torah and a few pages of small writings. Helen took these facts and produced a unique novel showing a family through this ...more
June
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is rare that I give a book 5 stars The book has to be really special and this one definitely is. For the life of me I kept reading it thinking what compels me to devour this book? It is simply put a story of a family and its history throughout the years.
Well it is not that simple This is a family that has so much pain,death and hurt one can only wonder how they keep going on. From early pograms and two world wars the destructiveness of humankind is mind boggling. And yet the family goes on
Donna
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is as if the souls of all these Jews touched yours

I have read many novels and nonfiction works about the Jews, especially about the them during WWII. This story starts before then and brings you deep inside their lives. The emotions run deep and range from the highest joy to the deepest despair...yet the soul of these people move forward with each strand that gives them hope. Like the beautiful music of the violin, the emotions created by this book will stay with you for a very long time. It
Johana Nadler
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Survival at all cost

This is a book everyone should read. Especially in today's divided society created by a revival of antisemitic and racial feelings. This book bears witness to what happens when evil starting at the top of a government. Hate and scapegoating take over and humans become inhuman.
It also shows that unconditional faith forms an indomitable will to survive. Regardless of al the hardships one encounters, as long as there is hope, there will be life
Judy Foyle
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic !

This is an unforgettable experience! To read what so many people went through!!! Truly unforgettable! This story is also completely heart breaking that humans can treat others in such despicable ways. While reading this book you can feel God's touch on Fivel. Yes he went through something so tremendous that it is unthinkable but in places you can see where God intervened. I will recommend this book
Lester Rosen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best stories of Jewish survivors in Axis counties in 1916 through end of WWII

There are many stories of survivors during the Holocaust, the difference here, is this book covers multi generations, starting prior to the first world war. Heart warming, you must read as any words I write cannot do it justice
Corgi
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought Waiting for a Miracle by Helen Livnat was okay. It is a simple telling, but not a simple story, of a Jewish family's experience during WWII. I think it is important to read books about WWII as each book brings a better understanding to WWII.

I would recommend Waiting for a Miracle to readers who like: WWII non-fiction.
Debra Martin
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Miracle

I have read several books on / about the holocaust, each person's story is unique. There's a common thread between each story and that's the will to survive. What an extraordinary , wonderful and may I say a miraculous story . I highly recommend this book. Jerusalem, we pray that you will have peace, and that all will go well for those who love you. Psalm 122: 6
Leslie Barton
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great historical novel. Well written. Very interesting

This historical novel was very interesting. There was a lot of family background which helped the reader understand how the events of World War II occurred in they're lives. Also included was how the family lived after the war.
kay keller
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting but slow reading

The story that chases the generations through history is interesting, but the overall story drags. Also, the multiple fortuitous events that rescues Fievel time after time detracts from the believability of last one-third of the story.
Nicole Hughes
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Read

Wow, I was looking for a book that would hook me and I found it in this book. Excellent historical look at a young boys beginning all the way through to his family's history. Beautifully written.
Kathryn Spurgeon
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth reading

I’ve read many WWII books and each gives details that helps put the pieces of the Jewish people together. This books offers a lot of those pieces. Thanks for writing it!1
Richard A. Garrison
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A family history of war, survivor and the holocaust.

A book that is not easy timeout down. A Jewish family that survives through two wars, and a holocaust. Birth, growing up years , celebrations, marriages and. death.
Richard Malone
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Achieving the miracle of freedom

A family memoir presented in novel format, documents the survival of a Jewish family. The book resets our minds from a single incident to a "frying pan to fire" flight spanning several decades and countries.

Pamala Doughty
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

I couldn't put the book down! My heart hurt for the families and all they had to go through, and yet they preserved. Great book!
sharon mason
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A small Torah, Angel or talisman?

This is a different Holocaust story of survival against all odds. In the first section for & post World War I
Mawdi
Sep 06, 2018
Sandra Ackerman
Dec 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Buttons in my soup: Holocaust survivor story (True WW2 Surviving Memoir)
  • Three Voices: A Psychological Historical Novel, Based on a Jewish Girl's WW2 Holocaust True Story Memoir
  • Hiding Abigail: The Girl with The Yellow Star
  • I'm Not From Around Here: A Jewish Boy Telling the Historical Story of his Family's Holocaust Survival in WW2 (Biographical Fiction Based on a Memoir)
  • In the Face of Fear: The Authentic Holocaust Survival Story of the Weisz Family
  • Rescued from the Ashes: The Diary of Leokadia Schmidt, Survivor of the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Edelweiss
  • Maybe You Will Survive: A Holocaust Memoir
  • A Girl Called Renee: The Incredible Story of a Holocaust Survivor
  • The Children's Train: Escape on the Kindertransport
  • Surviving The Forest
  • Parallel Lives: The Remarkable Story of a Young Jewish Family Separated by World War II
  • My Family's Survival: The true story of how the Shwartz family escaped the Nazis and survived the Holocaust
  • When the War is Over
  • Innocence Lost - A Childhood Stolen
  • Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm
  • When We Were Brave
  • Wood, Luck & Survival: The Journey of a Father and his Son Through the Holocaust Horrors