Start by marking “Crafter's Passion” as Want to Read:
Crafter's Passion

Crafter's Passion

(Crafter #1)

Stan can't afford to have his brain removed. The richest and luckiest players of the video game "Thousand Tales" get their minds uploaded to its virtual paradise world, while Stan can barely buy a handheld console. Instead of sulking he plays, and grows, becoming a skilled craftsman and seafaring explorer. The game's ruling AI, Ludo, helps him find the hope and inspiration ...more
Published February 23rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Crafter's Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crafter's Passion

Start your review of Crafter's Passion
Jennifer Linsky
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was a little bit of a risk for me: Amazon recommended it, along with a great deal of prurient LitRPG trash. It didn't look like the same sort of thing, and indeed, it was not. This is well-written, deep, thoughtful LitRPG trash. For those who like that sort of thing, this is exactly the sort of thing you'll like.
John
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dystopian government meets LitRPG
I'm a sucker for any future vision where the individual has to struggle to escape or overcome the all seeing bloated government gone wild, and this book delivers that in well measured doses along with a fun LitRPG romp that doesn't go overboard with the game specifics, but keeps the progress interesting.

The relationship between Stan and Ludo, with Ludo's foil, the overseer/baron Hal, is well developed and raises a lot of interesting questions about whether you ca
Adam
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story with mediocre lit rpg elements

The title says it. I liked the story and the post contemporary world. I found myself curious about the socio political economics of Stan's world.

As a LitRPG it is a bit stagnant. Yea , some things really worked and I liked them, however over all it kinda fell flat in the game details. Still, I had fun reading this on while traveling.
Vroom
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book and its sequel don't know what they want to be: a political dystopian novel, a bildungsroman, or litrpg. Unfortunately, the series doesn't really deliver on any of them. This is a two star "it was okay" review because I did find it the exploration of each political system to be fascinating and the author worked hard to represent good people who believed in each system rather than just portraying those systems as all good or all bad.

However, the main character was incredibly irritating,
Thor Aegir
This book talk about a game that is also an alternate universe, a social network, and a cradle for AIs.

I loved this book for the AIs personalities. This book is not about a dystopia, it is not about the main character that love crafting. It is about a world where a game AIs try to find their place as a new form of life, with all the strife, biased opinions and politics that are involved.

For me it was quite a refreshing view of AIs as individuals.
Matthew Whitehead
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you want the coasting easy life or the challenging unknown adventure where you are responsible for your own fate?

An adventure in possibilities, and the seeking of one's own path and way in life. This story is an intriguing look at a possible future both in some ways seeming unlikely and in others all too likely. I particularly like the portrayal of the AIs and can empathize with the main characters struggle with what to do with himself.
Melissa Jane
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow, this book was so blah. The story seemed to be lacking anything resembling action and the MC was whiny, extremely naive and his crafting (which the title portrayed as being important) was unfocused and frankly uninteresting. I did like the main AI and appreciated his/her interactions with everyone, but not enough to enjoy this story. Waste of both time and money. There are a ton of LitRPG books out there that you are better off with than this.
Johnny
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

This isn't some epic quest story.
It has a feel to it of what the future just might hold.
I personally didn't like the society the MC loved in, but it felt real. I was glad to see him leave it behind.
I could recommend this book to those that enjoy a more realistic look into the future.
Niels Baumgartner
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kinda fun

Explores some political and social issues. But the game take and AI purpose was fun and unique. It also explores the purpose of self and life and motivation and dreams/goals. Good book. Not for everyone. But i found it a good experience and was worth my time.

To the author: thanks. Was a great read!
Steven Sharp
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
pleasant

It's a pleasant read with causal connections to AI without it being monstrous or terminator style. How to interact with having a passion for crafting rather than mass destroy. It overall was steady, smooth flows. Not a lot of romantic situations, by none. Looking for a new way to game or think of gaming give it a go!
Wolfgarr
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Initially i found myself drawn into the MC's life but after a while i had a hard time finishing this book.
Maybe it was the Orwell style world the young man lived. I don't know but i found the book a bit depressing.
Curtis
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute and Terrifying

The story is cute, warm, and even sweet in places. It is far more real than most LitRPG stories, and offers a future that is terrifying in its content and likelihood. Enjoyable and different; you should give it a try.
Brett
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well done

The real world and game world stories go well together. I'll be looking into his other books.
Loving the little genre.
Brad Theado
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, litrpg
Interesting twist. dragged in parts.
Travis
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting concept I can unfortunately easily see happening for real. Glad to see the main character breaking the mold. Highly recommended.
Luke Parker
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just ok. I don't regret listening, but it's just not super engaging. I might read book 2 just to know what happens, but I don't NEED to know, you know?
Heath
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2018
Good Read.

A LitRPG story. A interesting story that introduces the social credit score and how the game AI interacts with the real world.
David
rated it it was ok
Xwader
Mar 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Legacy Builder (Barakdor, #1)
  • Alpha Testing: Angromoria LitRPG Adventure
  • Tales of the Gemsmith - Green (Aldaron Worlds, #1)
  • Initializing (Archeologist Warlord, #1)
  • The Goblin Siege (Codename: Freedom, #2)
  • Playing For Keeps (Alpha World, #4)
  • A Gamer's Wish (Hidden Wishes #1)
  • Level Up
  • Raiya: Starter Zone (Archon's Chosen, #1)
  • Shard Warrior (Crystal Shards Online, #2)
  • Darkness Fallen (The Greystone Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragon Seed (Archemi Online Chronicles, #1)
  • Countdown (Reality Benders, #1)
  • Dungeon Deposed (Dungeon Deposed, #1)
  • The Station Core (Station Cores, #1)
  • The Land of the Undying (Dark Elf Chronicles, #1)
  • Barrow King (The Realms, #1)
  • Cities in Chains (The System Apocalypse #4)

Crafter (2 books)