Start by marking “James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small” as Want to Read:

James Herriot's Treasury for Children collects all of the beloved veterinarian's delightful tales for young readers. From the springtime frolic of Oscar, Cat-About-Town to the yuletide warmth of The Christmas Day Kitten, these stories-radiantly illustrated by Peter Barrett and Ruth Brown-are perennial favorites, and this new complete edition will make a wonderful gift for ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about James Herriot's Treasury for Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Herriot's Treasury for Children

Start your review of James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
Jason Koivu
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't always read a Christmas story this time of year, but when I do, I like it to be gushingly heartwarming, perhaps naively innocent, and if you want to throw a moral in there for good measure, by all means!

Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small has all that and more to spare! How can it not? I mean, just look at that title!

Does this shout "Christmas" to you? Perhaps not, but at least one of the stories happens during Christmas and others
Jean
I was looking for a relaxing feel good book and came across this collection of animal stories for children by James Herriot. The book is good for all ages as the language is not written down for children. There is also a story of the “Christmas Day Kitten”. Most appropriate for my December reading/listening.

I read this as an audiobook downloaded from Audible. The book is one and a half hours. Was so great to listen to Jim Dale narrate the book. Dale is the “Voice of Harry Potter” as he narrated
Sheila Beaumont
Eight delightful animal stories for all ages. There are cats and dogs, of course, but also a cow who finds its way home, an elderly horse, and an adventurous lamb who discovers that there's no place like home. I loved listening to the narration by Jim Dale, best known for his reading of the Harry Potter books.
JD
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-grade
We are homeschoolers that use many ideas from the Charlotte Mason style of teaching. This book was my daughter's assigned reading for literature during 2nd grade. She is a bit behind in her reading skills, so this would probably be more 1st grade reading level for most Charlotte Mason homeschoolers. She would read for 15 minutes each day and then narrate orally to me what she had read about. It took her about three weeks to complete this book.

I liked this book because it was the first I've found
Negin
This has been one of my favorite children's books ever. I read it to my children (now teenagers) countless times. The illustrations are gorgeous and the stories are an absolute delight.
Lmichelleb
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm on my third read through these stories as an adult, and they just become dearer to me every time! Sweet, tender stories of the animals of the farms in the Yorkshire dales and the vet who loved to learn of their personalities and eccentricities.
Julia Blake
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful! Heartwarming, old fashioned stories with lovely illustrations. My boys loved them as much as I did.
Morgan
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Normally don't say I'm currently reading picture books or comic books on here because they either take a day to read them or I stopped counting them for my goal. Made an exception with this one though. Yes this was easy to read and you can easily finish this in a day or two, but for a picture book this isn't just for kids. Adults who like animals can enjoy these stories as well. Some of these stories aren't even about children, but adults with animals. I liked the message in most of these too ...more
Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a charming way to introduce kids to the wonderful stories of James Herriot. These are some selected tales suitable for children, beautifully presented with full color illustrations. I liked that they weren't just stories about household pets, but also about farm animals. I do wish that there had been a Tricky Woo story, though, since those are my kids' favorites from the adult books.
Samantha
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful animal stories my daughter loved them all-especially the kitty stories. We will definitely be readying again!
Kelly Barker
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of stories is truly delightful. The illustrations are beautifully done and depict the English countryside, where most of the stories take place, wonderfully. This is a book that I will keep on my bookshelf for a very long time!!
Sara
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best. This is what children's classics are all about! And I am fully aware that the are extracts from his adult series. The illustration with the story telling is top notch. True art. The narration with Jim Dale is unbeatable. Pure magic.
Denise Spicer
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, parents, grandparents, teachers
Originally published between 1972 and 1991 these eight lovely stories by this fantastic author will bring tears to your eyes and chuckles to your lips. Herriot’s remarkable heartwarming stories are simply told and delightfully illustrated by Ruth Brown and Peter Barrett. The artists do a wonderful job of portraying old-fashioned English countryside and small town life. James Herriot is one of England’s national treasures and he should be read by all – young and old alike. This book would make a ...more
Krista
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful stories and wonderful illustrations! I can't wait to read his other books with my older kids. This book introduced my younger kids to James Herriot! A beautiful book.
Heidi Burkhart
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These sweet and charming stories will win the hearts of any animal lovers. Perfect for elementary students.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
James Herriot is unparalleled when it comes to stories of domesticated animals -- whether dogs and cats in homes or various farm animals -- and his keen observations and clear love and respect for animals.

While these stories are fictional, all of them feel to me as if they easily could be true, and no doubt he drew heavily on his veterinary experiences in describing these unique animals and their amusing and tender escapades.

Herriot manages to capture the human-animal bond, even with farm
Elise
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I read this aloud to my kids (5 and 3) over the course of several days, and we all enjoyed it. The book contains true stories told by a veterinarian from about eighty (?) years ago or so. I was actually surprised that my kids liked it because the stories are very simple with not a lot of action. For example, one story is just about a dog who never barks; then once he sees his companion from his puppy days, he lets out a bark of joy; and then he doesn't bark ever again.

What I really liked about
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-04-08
This is an outstanding collection of eight of James Herriot's true stories about his life as a veterinarian in 1940's Yorkshire, adapted for children and beautifully illustrated. Adults who enjoy Herriot's memoirs (begun in All Creatures Great and Small) will love introducing their children to his life through this wonderful collection. The book stands well on its own, however, with a slightly higher reading level than most books of this genre. The stories really capture country life during this ...more
Whatsamatahari
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We first began reading this lovely book to our daughter when she was 3 years old. In retrospect it sounds so young, but I wanted her to learn about the natural world and to develop curiosity and compassion for all creatures, great and small. I wanted her to hear the richness of the author's voice narrating the richly described countryside or animals of the countryside. Our daughter is a huge animal lover, naturalist, and passionate learner about the natural world. Oh, she's also one brilliant ...more
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
We loved these stories. I read all the Herriot books when I was 12 and I knew Logan would like his stories, especially the cat ones. I warn you that some of the stories are real tear-jerkers, all the more when they have touchingly happy endings. I did get a bit tired of having L lean round, peer into my face, and say "Mama, are you starting to cry?" over and over. "But mama," he'd say, "these are happy stories. You're not supposed to cry." Sigh.
Lucy Pollard-Gott
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Delightful for reading aloud, these stories have some substance and so much warmth. I loved them too! And the illustrations are so beautiful, transporting one to another place (Yorkshire) and another time (Herriot's time, where life's ills that impinge on animals are met with compassion and goodness)--a good time and place to visit, at any time of our lives.
Amy Kannel
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, readaloud
I've been hearing good things about this for a long time; I finally got my hands on a copy a few months ago and just finished reading it with my 4yo. We both loved it. A collection of about eight charming stories about ordinary animals (sheep, dogs, cats, horses) written by a country vet. Sweet stories and lovely illustrations.
Ramona McConkie
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this and read it to the kids. I grew up on a farm, so the stories of the animals were especially meaningful, but my kids cried at several spots, and they've never had a pet. Just good, sweet, simple stories written very well with beautiful illustrations.
Stephanie
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
What a wonderful collection of stories. It is educational and high quality literature. Something I want my children to appreciate and love.
Nicole
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sort of book you curl up with on a chilly rainy day with a mug of warm tea and a dog by your side or a cat on your lap. A must read for everyone.
Debra Bates
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Forget the children! these are heart-warming stories for animal lovers of all ages!
Tracy de
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We loved this book! The pictures are lovely and the stories are sweet. I read it to my children and every story held their attention. I also enjoyed the vocabulary that the author used. I highly recommend this for a sweet read.
Kristin O.
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet, gentle stories about animals. My kids loved this book and regularly ask me to read certain stories again and again.
Lindsay
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Third time through with my kids and still they love all these stories!
Summer
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Absolutely precious! Need to read more Herriot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: help with adding book to other edition 5 16 Sep 23, 2011 09:43AM

• Children's Book of Virtues
  • Little Pear
  • In Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #1)
  • Understood Betsy
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • Twenty and Ten
  • The Light at Tern Rock
  • Capyboppy
  • A Grain of Rice
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • George Washington
  • The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • The Storm (The Lighthouse Family, #1)
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • The Aesop for Children
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow