Start by marking “Sherwood” as Want to Read:
Sherwood

Sherwood

Fans of Danielle Paige, Marissa Meyer, and Alex Flinn will devour New York Times bestselling author Meagan Spooner’s next fierce fairy tale-inspired story, which Illuminae author Amie Kaufman calls “a kick-***, gender-flipped feminist retelling.”

Robin of Locksley is dead.

Maid Marian doesn’t know how she’ll go on, but the people of Locksley town, persecuted by the Sheriff o
Published March 19th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Sherwood, please sign up.
Aoife Yes, there's both a major and a background romance.
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
870 books — 2,963 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,463 books — 3,987 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Sherwood
Helena of Eretz ✰
DNF at 30%

One of my bookish New Year’s resolutions was to stop torturing myself through books I wasn’t enjoying. It’s so bloody disappointing that one of my most anticipated releases of 2019 ended up being the first book that I DNF’ed. Ugh.

Just so you know, The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) with Errol Flynn is my favourite film of all time. ALL TIME!!! And The Princess Bride (1987) with Cary Elwes comes in at a close second. You have NO IDEA how sad I am that I couldn’t even get through this b
Amie Kaufman
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG, my friends. This book. It's the kickass, gender-flipped, feminist retelling your heart has been waiting for.

* The prose is as gorgeous as only Meagan Spooner can make it. She just... HOW does she write like that? I've been watching for years, and I still can't figure it out. She weaves words like nobody else, and I ache over how beautiful they are.

* Ahhhh, the characters. I fell for them so deeply. She knows how to add depth and nuance and complexity to even the ones you want to be one-side
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I’m so mad! I was looking forward to loving this book!! I have loved some of the authors other books. This book; the only thing I liked was the idea and the poster I got of the book cover in my fairy loot box. Sigh..............................
......................

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading Sherwood on 9/3/18 and finished it on 9/15/18. This book is a great read. The main character, Marian is more of a tomboy. She likes to carry a sword and practice archery instead of doing the duty and expectation of a lady. She takes matter into her own hands when she finds out someone is in danger. I like how Marian weighs the pros and cons to being a man. It’s interesting to learn about what noblewoman is all about back in the days. I like that this story include Robin’s views ...more
megs_bookrack

Sherwood is one of my MOST ANTICIPATED books of 2019!

A gender-flipped Robin Hood retelling. I feel like I have wanted this story my whole life and it is FINALLY here and I CAN'T STAND IT!

Hamad
Aug 13, 2018 marked it as lost-interest
I am not going to give this book a rating to be fair. I tried reading it not once, nor twice but 3 times and I simply can't get into it. I will DNF it for now without a rating because I haven't read enough of it to judge it. I may come back to it in the future though (most probably won't!!).
Sh3lly
Officially giving up.

I'm at 21% and the plot is barely getting solidified, an almost 500 page book. I'm finding it very difficult to get into. I love the idea of Maid Marian being Robin Hood, but it's … meh so far. Unfortunately. Putting it aside for now.
"Marian's life had been ordained when she was born a girl. But Robin Hood's life?"
Robin Hood is dead. It's not a spoiler, it's right there in the synopsis. While going on a secret mission where she had to hide her identity, Marian is mistaken for Robin Hood, because not everyone is convinced he is dead ... and because Marian has some kickass skills. She embraces this opportunity to do good and to be free, and it's pretty awesome.

Meagan Spooner uses a retelling of Robin Hood to showc
may ❀
i mean, the cover absolutely deserves 5 stars,,,,,,,,but i just REALLY didn't care for the book.

ughghghghghhghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghg <-me giving up on reading

the idea of the story was v interesting but i think meagen spooner's writing style just doesn't connect with me. the characters felt flat to me and i felt the story was unnecessarily slow

but the LITTLE snippets with robin made me want to cry oh my god why didn't we get more of that. honestly, best part of the book. i love robin :((((
Kat
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-3
An interesting twist for fans of the Robin Hood legend (which I totally am.) Robin of Locksley is killed while fighting in the Crusades, and Maid Marian takes up his bow and assumes the legend of Robin Hood in his place. Definitely cool from a period piece perspective and for those who enjoy tales of medieval times and horses and overcoming evil taxation.

I was kind of picturing Marian as a Katniss Everdeen bad-ass sort when I read the synopsis and saw the cover, and (view spoiler)
Justine
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
So I have read a lot of Robin Hood retellings, and watched a lot of movies too. Errol Flynn is pretty iconic and even with the ridiculous outfit Will Scarlett wore (red is really not good camouflage in a forest especially when topped by a giant feathered cap), my 5 year old self pretty much ate that classic movie up.

As far as Marian is concerned, Olivia de Havilland was no pushover and the later iteration with Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio similarly cast her as a woman to be reckoned with. In The
Tabi  (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Hello, 911? Yes, I've been ROBBED.

description

I am heartbroken to admit that this fell flat on so many levels and honestly my faith in this author has been severely shaken. I feel so cheated of so much from this book. Where did the grandeur of Hunted go? Where is the beautiful angst from Skylark?? Is this even the same author that wrote those masterpieces??? I did not expect to be this salty about Meagan Spooner!!

description

S P O I L E R S abound. Ye be warned.

Mkay first off let's just all admit that pretty mu
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
I don't think I've ever read any Robin Hood retelling or any Robin Hood book for that matter, but I like the story so I'm curious about this one.

I just got an arc of this book, which is like the 4th arc I got this week, so maybe this is a good time for me to try the lottery or something cause my luck has apparently been off the charts lately.
R.J.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hood retellings are a lifelong passion of mine, so I have read a LOT of them. I'm especially fond of books that a) do something with the legend that I haven't seen before and b) take a keen interest in Marian -- and like A.C. Gaughen's excellent SCARLET trilogy, this gorgeous standalone novel does both.

There's so much to admire in what Meagan Spooner does with this story. Her prose is rich and lovely without ever getting overwrought, she does a superb job of depicting the physical toll tha
Nick
Jan 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
I want this like right now.
Cinda
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, feminist
I have always loved Robin Hood stories, and wasn't sure what would set this story apart.Spooner puts a quirky feminist twist on an old story, even finding redemption for some of the classic villains in the tale. Highly recommend.
Emily May
Dec 29, 2018 marked it as dnf

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🏹
Trina (Between Chapters)
Jun 23, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 25%. Just not feeling this. I don't think I enjoy Robin Hood retellings.
Hollis
Grief, thought Marian, was not the melancholy mourning of a loss, not the long and dwindling ache that ballads sang of. It was forgetting, and remembering, again and again, an endless series of slashes, each as violent and sharp as the last.

My god, I don't know how this author does it. It's like she has a finger on the pulse of my feels. She wrecked me the same way in HUNTED. It's so subtle but the resonance of her words is just spectacular. I swear I spent like.. a good 50% of this choking back
Irene Sim
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was for the most part a 3 star rating. I was really intrigued by the premise of the story and I thought I knew exactly how it would go down but the first half was really tiring and - dare to say - boring? But the author really surprised me in the end making that last 30% of the book deserving 5 stars (and I'm so glad I didn't DNFed it), so I decided to settle in the middle.

The story starts when Maid Marian receives the news of Robin's death in the Holy Lands which greatly doubts are tr
Lisa
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
Another stellar retelling by Meagan Spooner! I LOVED this gender swapped Robin Hood story. Marian is fierce yet vulnerable and noble yet flawed.

PLUS there's romance in here that was beautiful and so unexpectedly lovely.

I need more!!
Lenore .
✧ ARC PROVIDED BY THE PUBLISHER VIA EDELWEISS IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW ✧

I was so certain I would give Sherwood 4 stars. But the last 25% smashed my expectations to bits in the worst way.

A feminist, gender-bent Robin Hood retelling should have been epic enough to make my heart swell with joy and pride as I turn the last page, but all my positive feeling towards this book was swept away by disbelief and anger and regret the nearer I got to the ending. I've shouted at this story for too lo
Scrill
Aug 08, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc
ARC provided through Edelweiss for a fair review

Nope, I can't do this anymore. I am bored out of my mind. And I hate to say this because I LOVED Hunted.

30% I made it over a quarter of the book and I just dgaf about these characters, what they're doing, their plans, their goals, the entire town of Lockesly. Honestly, I have been hoping for a crude twist in the story where Marian suddenly likes Sir Guy. AND THAT'S JUST NOT FAIR TO DEAR ROBIN.

I love the idea of a gender bender retelling. BUT WHY
Cindy ✩☽♔
Apr 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Okay, I still have not read Hunted but how can I possibly pass up on a female Robin hood? I can't. So onto the TBR pile lol
laurel [suspected bibliophile]

An uninspired gender-swapped retelling of Robin Hood, with Marian playing both the roles of herself and the titular hero after her betrothed, Robin of Locksley, is killed while fighting alongside King Richard I in the Crusades.
Up until about the 80% mark I was planning to give this a solid two stars and a scathing review.

So what changed?

Not much, to be honest, but there was far more action and things happening in the last 20% than in the previous 80.

This felt a whole hecking lot like H
explorerofbooks
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gender-switched retelling turns the original folktale up an adrenaline-racing notch, while taking down gender inequality at the same time. Containing many well known characters from the legend, like Will Scarlet, Little John and Alan-a-dale, Sherwood simply enhances the magic of storytelling.

Lord Robin of Locksley died in the Crusades, but Marian barely has any time to grieve about it. The Sheriff of Nottingham is still out there, taking advantage of her people, and the Sheriff’s right hand
Rae
Read this book review and others on my blog: https://thriftybibliophile.com

Sherwood by Meagan Spooner is a Robin Hood retelling that includes delightful twists and turns.

Robin of Locksley is dead, leaving his fiancé, Maid Marian, behind. Wracked with grief, Marian isn’t sure how to go on, but there’s one thing she does know: the people of Locksley need to be protected. Who will protect them now that Robin is gone?

Marian swoops in to the rescue, unintentionally becoming a symbol of hope and just
Alaina
Oh shit. Robin is dead. Who will step up to the plate?

I have been sitting on this star rating for DAYS guys. No idea if I should do 2 or 3.. or ya know half rate this shit. Eh, I'm just going to close my eyes and count to 1 Million or something. Let's hope for the best.

Sherwood is my first robin hood retelling book - I think? Not really sure if it is or not but I was definitely down for the ride when I saw it. Unfortunately, the feeling wasn't mutual after starting this book. I was so freaking e
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

3.5*

Guys, I did not hate this retelling! I think that is worth noting, yeah? You know how weird I am about retellings! I also have some issues with Robin Hood in general after having some... confusing dreams about the animated one as a kid. So I went into this a wee bit hesitantly? But it was pretty good, and so we shall break down what worked for me, and what didn't as much!

The Thin
Aila
solid 2.5 stars

Honestly, reading this book had its ups and downs. Sometimes I would be hesitantly surprised at how something came out, but most of the times I was left disgruntled and distrusting. These feelings vacillated throughout the book, but overall my biggest problem was that I went in thinking it would be something it wasn’t. And that’s what I would let other readers be hesitant of.

This is a Maid Marian-driven book. And yeah, from the blurb, you would guess that. But it’s more about he
Čteme anglicky: Sherwood (duben 2019) 2 8 May 23, 2019 06:26AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Sherwood by Meagan Spooner - Starting March 8th 2019 1 6 Feb 23, 2019 05:42AM

• Warrior of the Wild
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Romanov
  • Stepsister
  • Four Dead Queens
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
New York Times bestselling author Meagan Spooner grew up reading and writing every spare moment of the day, while dreaming about life as an archaeologist, a marine biologist, an astronaut. She graduated from Hamilton College in New York with a degree in playwriting, and has spent several years since then living in Australia. She's traveled with her family all over the world to places like Egypt, S ...more

Articles featuring this book

When looking for the best recommendations in the young adult genre, we decided to turn to YA authors themselves. Narrowing ...
“Who are you to say that being a lady, in itself, is not its own kind of war.” 9 likes
“It wasn't Sherwood Forest he haunted, it was Marian. She carried him in her thoughts and she would carry out his will with her own hands.” 5 likes